• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony cut's it PS5 forecast drastically from 14.8 million PS5's to 11.5 million by March 2022

skit_data

Searching for it I can see you’ve already tried this song and dance with someone else.

He’s talking about up to that quarterly report, not up until Jan 25, it’s posted that day because that’s the day the quarterly information came out.

There has been no sales data released beyond Dec 31, 2021.

Thats like saying Sony is at 17.3 now, because that’s when the tweets are posted. Everyone is obviously talking about last quarter end.

That’s not how I interpret ”MY ESTIMATED (MINE) Life To Date” but you could of course be entirely right.

DrAspirino

Banned
Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Lot of fuel for Microsoft fanboys, PS5 was released during a pandemic so expect some chip shortages, additional delays from sells outs, scalpers etc. btw PS6 and 7 are already in development.

reksveks

It's a fucking Sony/TSMC factory ffs.

to provide foundry service with initial technology of 22/28-nanometer processes to address strong global market demand for specialty technologies

So not for consoles

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Last I checked Xbox released thier consoles during the same pandemic. (Technically they all released months prior to it)
And what are those Xbox numbers like? Gotta be less than PlayStation it’s only had one great game in Infinite.

Kerotan

Apart from the OG 360 I’ve never had a console die on me, and I use them heavily. Is it really worth the agro of doing this?
Yes. Obviously new console and warranty is nice. I use it for over 3000 hours a year so if anybodys gonna break its mine. But the big bonus is selling the old controllers and headset and getting brand new ones instead. My pulse 3d's are €100 headsets so obviously they won't last that long and you know how the analogues on controllers go.

I even sold my 3 year old bravia bundled with the ps5 and bought the brand new one for very little extra.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
DSC-4439.jpg

Found this yesterday: PS5 + black DS + DS charger + 2 games of your choice + Astro A20 + PUBG statue DS holder + travel bag.

For as low as 380.

That's Omani rials, means $988 USD.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This is precisely why more and more people are jumping into PC gaming. With a new record high concurrent players established on Steam in recent weeks, the migration is only going to continue for the next few decades, with people not heading back to Playstation after they tasted the sweetness of PC gaming. This should eventually increase the pace of the extinction of console gaming imo

FingerBang

I wouldn't be surprised if cross-gen games kept coming in 2023. This fucking sucks, but how to blame them (and this includes MS)?

This is precisely why more and more people are jumping into PC gaming. With a new record high concurrent players established on Steam in recent weeks, the migration is only going to continue for the next few decades, with people not heading back to Playstation after they tasted the sweetness of PC gaming. This should eventually increase the pace of the extinction of console gaming imo
People have been saying this for years. It ain't happening, pal. I've got a PC with a 3080 and a 5800x and I use my consoles more. Different products for different needs. They aren't really in competition with each other.

And the low availability/high price of the consoles mean absolutely NOTHING now that even shitty GPU cost as much as a game console. Buying a PS5 from a scalper might still be the better deal overall.

Three

It's crazy to think that, because it provided a LOWER-strength console that is easier to manufacture, the Series S, Microsoft was put in a position to focus MORE on next-gen.

Day-and-date with PC helps, too, but I really do expect to see more X|S-only first-party games than PS5-only first party games in the next 18 months.
In what way is this true?

Xbox Series S + Xbox Series X sales combined are lower than PS5 sales. There are more PS5 only games than there are Xbox Series only games even now. Both planned for the next 18 months and currently released.
Reality doesn't match what you're thinking. Xbox Series doesn't have a larger install base to permit more and it doesn't have more released or planned for release. You're basing your assumption on the fact that the big Sony games are releasing this year.
This is precisely why more and more people are jumping into PC gaming. With a new record high concurrent players established on Steam in recent weeks, the migration is only going to continue for the next few decades, with people not heading back to Playstation after they tasted the sweetness of PC gaming. This should eventually increase the pace of the extinction of console gaming
PS+ just had its record numbers too. There will be no extinction of console gaming.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
It's insane that the most in demand console at this time is truly a victim of circumstance with the ongoing chip shortages that may last a very long time and potentially set it behind the competition until the shortages end. This generation is going to look completely different that it would have otherwise and publisher's will have to extend cross gen indefinitely.

MS and Nintendo are truly fortunate that the Series S and Switch are less resource hungry at the supply lines, but the Series X will also going to be a victim of a similar set of circumstances even though the Series S is helping it break Xbox sales records. What a bizarre timeline!

Series S is barely any different, it's going to be suffering from similar supply issues.

What a dramatic angle.

3.3 million based on supply restraints will ultimately have no impact in the long run.

Imagine a story about PS5 in 2027 selling 117 million vs 120 million

kuncol02

Banned
Series S is barely any different, it's going to be suffering from similar supply issues.
From same silicon wafer they can make more than twice as much XSS chips.If MS and Sony were able to reserve same production capability in TSMC then for every PS5 Microsoft can build two Series S.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I wouldn't be surprised if cross-gen games kept coming in 2023. This fucking sucks, but how to blame them (and this includes MS)?

People have been saying this for years. It ain't happening, pal. I've got a PC with a 3080 and a 5800x and I use my consoles more. Different products for different needs. They aren't really in competition with each other.

And the low availability/high price of the consoles mean absolutely NOTHING now that even shitty GPU cost as much as a game console. Buying a PS5 from a scalper might still be the better deal overall.

As a owner of a PS5 and PS5 Digital , Xbox Series X & S and Nintendo Switch OLED, I use my PC even more. There is a reason why the industry is heading to that direction right now.

There is a reason why its all collapsing and why they are all falling over themselves frantically releasing games on PC. They know they can’t survive off consoles, and are now making move towards other. The neat thing about PC gaming is the versatile forms. people can still enter PC gaming via laptops or older PCs, or with cloud gaming streaming such as Nvidia GeForce Now.

MikeM

Cries in stupid optimization, and crypto miners.

My gpu is getting older faster, and new ones costs alot of money.

i will save for pre-built pc at this moment.
Probably the way I will go. Eyeing a 3060ti prebuilt for $2k CAD.
I found a 6800xt for $1800 but would need to spend another $1.5k for the rest of it.

Your post could've been written in 2010. People have been saying that for decades.

Consoles never sold as much as right now. Xbox is selling better than ever. Switch is Nintendo's biggest home console ever. PS5 is only not breaking all console sales records because it can't. But sure..."the migration is going to continue"

kingfey

Banned
Consoles never sold as much as right now. Xbox is selling better than ever. Switch is Nintendo's biggest home console ever. PS5 is only not breaking all console sales records because it can't. But sure..."the migration is going to continue"
Both systems can coexist. PC player can own these systems too.

GloveSlap

Your post could've been written in 2010. People have been saying that for decades.

....and PC GPUs are even harder to find than next gen consoles so i'm not sure of his point.

Might be a bit of a pattern in q1

Switch is still up YoY in UK?!? craxy!!!! no need for Nintendo to release new console until 2025

Looks like Switch will be the winner of the 8th and 9th console generation First time ever a console to win two generations!!

Fare thee well

Neophyte
For the love of god, it can't be this hard to get chip supplies going. I mean hell, make it subsidized if manufacturers are that freaked about surplus production and profit loss. This shit goes into our cars, the digital networks for many of our jobs, appliances, grids, and god knows what else. I mean I care what happens in video games too, but it feels like we're just a small piece of this chip nightmare. Supply can't meet demand ever again becauase of chips? I just don't buy it.

This is interesting btw; who knows if it's just wishful thinking, but I am all for this: https://jalopnik.com/the-shipping-backlog-is-costing-companies-so-much-they-1848476888

Uhtred

I’m trying to find a digital edition does anyone know where the next drop me come from I’ve been hoping for Amazon since it’s been so long and it’s just easy for me but if anybody has some tips or anything let me know I’m dying over here I really need to get one before Gran Turismo is released I’m just in a tight spot now

Roxkis_ii

I’m trying to find a digital edition does anyone know where the next drop me come from I’ve been hoping for Amazon since it’s been so long and it’s just easy for me but if anybody has some tips or anything let me know I’m dying over here I really need to get one before Gran Turismo is released I’m just in a tight spot now
I would recommend installing a ps5 stock tracking app on your phone. The drops seems to happen hard and fast, and very few are announced.

Top Bottom