• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony CTO Hiroki Totoki: "VR1, we sold over five million units, and I think we have a good chance to exceed that amount with PlayStation VR2"

Crayon

Yes you have, multiple times.

Are you sure? I'm not asking for you to go dig it up for me or anything. I just remember trying to get anyone to spit it out and hardly got anything back.

edit: was there ever a poll for it? I'm vaguely remembering that.

Last edited:
Its not 150 more expensive, the original l didn’t come with the controllers or camera

Retailers sold them in a bundle you didn't have to buy each piece at full price separately, in addition to that many people already had move, 15 million. Then not too long later they gave it the PSVR a price cut and a new unit that was all-in one. Then they gave THAT a price cut which is what been sold the last some years. Base console was $299 unless you got a Pro which wasn't required and average audiences didn't care about.

So while not a super gap PS5+PSVR2 is more expensive, and inflation will make the burn sting more.

With that being said, PSVR didn't have another "real" price drop after the first one other than consolidating, and outside of time-limited promos PS4Pro, which gave you a better VR experience than the base console, never dropped in price.

I am betting that $549 for the PS5 is probably much more painful than we think, and that we won't be seeing a price cut withing the foreseeable future even in the next two years unless they sell enough units to lower some of the costs involved, but that still likely won't go below $500 even then, IF that. PSVR was on the shelf for 6 years, it's MSRP never dropped from that first price cut. PS4 Pro was out since 2016, in 2020 it was still officially the same price it launched at.

Seems like the right stance to take. Versus someone like Meta that banks the whole company on VR. Sell more than the last generation, finance future VR research, and make sure the next version is locked in.

Except Facebook has (for now) investment interest, the devs, and the numbers, though retention admissions are having some do double takes. If they can figure out a way to keep what they have and gain profit from somewhere they are going to be kings of VR for some time. Sony needed to be aggressive like PSVR1 if they wanted to lead the market as they aimed for before. If they have changed to just trying to sell a product to a select userbase and possibly break even, then it's also unlikely they are going to push hard into investing in the medium like people are hoping outside the occasional Call of the Wild and GT7 modes.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

No arithmetic is not semantics lol. You said they reaised the price by 150. The moves were $100 and the headset was $400. So not including the camera that's $50 less 7 years ago.

And more like a controller? I'm going to say it's more like a whole platform. You don't have to bootstrap a software economy for a controller. And people are not going to buy any games for a controller to offset the cost.

Hey i don't know if they are making or losing moneyy on it but I don't think you do either.
Of course, I don't, and never said I do. I did however say, and still stand by it, we have precedent. We can look at what they have done before, with regard to this very `platform` as you described it. Simply put, there is more reason to believe that its sold at profit than for anyone to say its sod at a loss. Which is what I was responding to to begin with.

I mean sony even increased the price of the PS5.... and common sense dictates,PSVR, is not the type of thing you sell at a loss. When you know the entire platform is still very niche and geared to a certain kinda hardcore crowd. They were smart enough to figure that out before the launch of their first iteration of the product, they have seen how it performed, and they still have a similar target for sales on this new platform... there simply is no reason for anyone to outright, emphatically say that they are selling it at a loss.

I am betting that $549 for the PS5 is probably much more painful than we think, and that we won't be seeing a price cut withing the foreseeable future even in the next two years unless they sell enough units to lower some of the costs involved, but that still likely won't go below $500 even then, IF that. PSVR was on the shelf for 6 years, it's MSRP never dropped from that first price cut. PS4 Pro was out since 2016, in 2020 it was still officially the same price it launched at.
I strongly doubt this, being that its increase was only done inspect markets. I mean, they arent gonna come out and say we are increasing the rice cause we feel we can make more money, but that inflation call is BS. Especially when it was at the front end of supply constraints loosening.

I believe they increased the price simply because they realized that demand was still way higher than their ability to supply and they could easily make more money.

Last edited:
Of course, I don't, and never said I do. I did however say, and still stand by it, we have precedent. We can look at what they have done before, with regard to this very `platform` as you described it. Simply put, there is more reason to believe that its sold at profit than for anyone to say its sod at a loss. Which is what I was responding to to begin with.

I mean sony even increased the price of the PS5.... and common sense dictates,PSVR, is not the type of thing you sell at a loss. When you know the entire platform is still very niche and geared to a certain kinda hardcore crowd. They were smart enough to figure that out before the launch of their first iteration of the product, they have seen how it performed, and they still have a similar target for sales on this new platform... there simply is no reason for anyone to outright, emphatically say that they are selling it at a loss.

I strongly doubt this, being that its increase was only done inspect markets. I mean, they arent gonna come out and say we are increasing the rice cause we feel we can make more money, but that inflation call is BS. Especially when it was at the front end of supply constraints loosening.

I believe they increased the price simply because they realized that demand was still way higher than their ability to supply and they could easily make more money.

I didn't mention the price raise, just the $549.

Deerock71

VR is niche. I'm glad you guys enjoy it, but it's not the future just like 3D TVs you had to wear glasses over your glasses was not the future.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I've been guessing at 5-10 mil for awhile now while trying to get everyone else to take a guess. I never heard anyone say 15, 20, etc. I hardly heard anyone put anything on the table. I know you've seen me ask.

Yes that's true. It just kind of frustrates me that they are ok selling this for $750 Canadian and selling only that many units, but refuse to bring a hybrid handheld to market which would easily sell 25 million units in its sleep and require less work to create/convert software for.

Last edited:

Crayon

Yes that's true. It just kind of frustrates me that they are ok selling this for $750 Canadian and selling only that many units, but refuse to bring a hybrid handheld to market which would easily sell 25 million units in its sleep and require less work to convert software for.

Well, you got to think from the perspective of wanting to get into a market that you think will be huge one day, but isn't huge yet. If it can get a 50% more attach rate than the last one, then that should be considered a success. There's more than just how many sold, though. What's more important is that it keeps people using it and buying games. So if it can do better sales in the last one, and better engagement than the last one that should represent a big improvement. At least that makes sense to me.

It's a risk. But selling 7 million of any headset is still pretty good. They're getting in early before even the technology is ready to make tons of sales. If this go around shakes out well, they'll be pretty much an established name in vr with a reliable use base and ready for when all the technology catches up.

Making another portable with an option, sure. But this is a bigger, longer play. A bunch of these big companies still seem to believe that VR is going to come into its own one day and Sony is one of them.

Surfheart

It’s sold here in Australia at 3 of our biggest nationwide retailers and it’s still in stock at all of them.

On the website for our largest electronics retailer, JB HiFi, the customer reviews for the PSVR2 are brutal, main complaints is that Sony lied about the clarity and that the image is blurry/grainy/fuzzy.

I get the feeling this is going to tank big time.

Airbus Jr

Banned
It’s sold here in Australia at 3 of our biggest nationwide retailers and it’s still in stock at all of them.

On the website for our largest electronics retailer, JB HiFi, the customer reviews for the PSVR2 are brutal, main complaints is that Sony lied about the clarity and that the image is blurry/grainy/fuzzy.

Sounds like fake news especially the blury part

Last edited:
I don’t think Sony will advertise the PSVR2 hard until they have significant software and a cheaper console revision.

They should probably make a deal with META and Valve for cross platform support.

Supernatural and HL would be great editions among the rest.
Give it official PC support and it could be easily done.
Why on earth would they do that?

Sony makes money from software and subscriptions. Their profits on the actual PS5 hardware is insignificant compared to it. A PSVR2 PC customer would be a negative to their bottom line unless they invested in their own PC game store.

Fredrik

How many PS5s they sold in Sweden? Since it's not a stand alone product I don't think it will have a big presence in stores this year
No idea, there has been supply issues most of the generation but for a couple months now PS5s are readily available. Selling for $700 like PSVR2. I’d guess that $1400 for the complete VR package on Playstation is going to severely limit the mainstream appeal.

How many PS5s they sold in Sweden? Since it's not a stand alone product I don't think it will have a big presence in stores this year
I think the PS5 must have sold well; it was only recently it became readily available in stores. I have checked regularly since the release out of curiosity and there's been a waiting list in every store constantly. Then again, maybe we've just been drip fed units slowly because of a very limited supply.

But every unit we got has sold out until a couple of months ago or so. Our biggest retailers are marketing it as "PS5 - finally in stock!".

Surfheart

Sounds like fake news especially the blury part

Absolutely not. I’ve enjoyed my time with the headset so far but Sony and certain youtube influencers set expectations that reality didn‘t meet with regards to image quality.

It was blurry for me until i spent a stupid amount of time moving it all around my face, moving the back band, moving the scope in/out and combinations thereof. I have it to what I feel is a compromise, I wouldn’t call it blurry exactly but nor would I call it sharp. I have red chromatic fringing that I cannot eliminate and I not talking about just at the edges of the lens, it is right in the center of the sweet spot. My Quest 2 is sharper with less fringing.

I constantly lose tracking when I look up in the same space and lighting conditions in which my Quest 2 tracking works flawlessly and the top band leaves a deep divot right across my forehead.

I totally get the Joe Public Reviews who were told by Sony that this headset is “Super sharp” and “In clear focus”

Maybe I got a dud lens?

Last edited:
Absolutely not. I’ve enjoyed my time with the headset so far but Sony and certain youtube influencers set expectations that reality didn‘t meet with regards to image quality.

It was blurry for me until i spent a stupid amount of time moving it all around my face, moving the back band, moving the scope in/out and combinations thereof. I have it to what I feel is a compromise, I wouldn’t call it blurry exactly but nor would I call it sharp. I have red chromatic fringing that I cannot eliminate and I not talking about just at the edges of the lens, it is right in the center of the sweet spot. My Quest 2 is sharper with less fringing.

I constantly lose tracking when I look up in the same space and lighting conditions in which my Quest 2 tracking works flawlessly and the top band leaves a deep divot right across my forehead.

I totally get the Joe Public Reviews who were told by Sony that this headset is “Super sharp” and “In clear focus”

Maybe I got a dud lens?

It’s a sharper headset than the quest. You probably have a dud.

I have also had no tracking issues to speak of.

What you’re describing is pure FUD

Question when saying it isn't selling well what are you comparing it to ? is it not selling as well as the quest in the store ?
I’m also from Sweden. I pre-ordered one with the COTM bundle. I couldn’t pre-order the base headset online as it was sold out everywhere. The COTM bundle was widely available though. This doesn’t say anything about sales numbers though but it seems to be quite good I guess if all the base versions were sold out at release. Unless they only created bundles for Sweden 🤣

Except Facebook has (for now) investment interest, the devs, and the numbers, though retention admissions are having some do double takes. If they can figure out a way to keep what they have and gain profit from somewhere they are going to be kings of VR for some time. Sony needed to be aggressive like PSVR1 if they wanted to lead the market as they aimed for before.

Facebook is losing billions on VR and their attrition numbers are awful

Sony doesn’t need to have sales as high as Quest for it to be a better ecosystem of active users that allows them to claim the mid to high end VR gaming market

ArcaneNLSC

I saw it in-store here in Australia on the weekend. At AUD$880 it's going to be a tough ask for many. I'd love to get one for GT7 but given the way interest rates and cost of living are going over here I'll be waiting hopefully for a price drop down the track.
Yeah I'm hoping to get one around Black Friday 2024 from JB HiFi or something or Boxing Day sales the latest especially if there are good deals for it.

Techies

You mean the Quest 1.
Quest 1 could of been around 1 million, but I'm refering to Quest2. Basically psvr was out for a while and was in the 'lead'.

Looks like the moment the Quest2 released, PSVR sales seems fell down by this data.

Quest2 is essentially sold around 10:1 in the same time period. Guess is was due time for PSVR2

Fredrik

Then again, maybe we've just been drip fed units slowly because of a very limited supply.
I think that’s it, PS5 was like a unicorn for a long time, people talked about it but nobody had seen one. Shipments must’ve been tiny right from the start.
I found mine using a tracker website that updated the store supply every 30 second on the 5 or so biggest online stores. Up until recently I’ve never even seen 5 units total on the list. This year things has changed though, now they’re everywhere. Unfortunately prices are up instead.

Surfheart

Wh
It’s a sharper headset than the quest. You probably have a dud.

I have also had no tracking issues to speak of.

What you’re describing is pure FUD
Whatever dude, that’s my experience with it And I’ve spent a heap of time in it since launch, finished Moss, Moss 2, starwars, Horizon and half of RE8.

Fredrik

Wh

Whatever dude, that’s my experience with it And I’ve spent a heap of time in it since launch, finished Moss, Moss 2, starwars, Horizon and half of RE8.
No personal experience with PSVR2 but I’ve heard people I trust talk about how the ”sweet spot” is unusually small on PSVR2 compared to other headsets. I assume that’s your issue.
I actually had blur issues with my Quest 2 as well at first simply from having the lenses too wide and from having a ”sweet spot” on my old man glasses too. Hopefully things are improved on upcoming headsets so it’s not a hurdle just putting it on.

pasterpl

Realistically, without killer app, I can see this selling a bit less than psvr1 (ps4 install base was almost 5x vs current ps5 install base), also we are expecting multiple pc enabled headsets to hit the market, so the competition is also bigger. Hitting PSVR1 would be a huge success for PSVR2.

Fredrik

Realistically, without killer app, I can see this selling a bit less than psvr1 (ps4 install base was almost 5x vs current ps5 install base), also we are expecting multiple pc enabled headsets to hit the market, so the competition is also bigger. Hitting PSVR1 would be a huge success for PSVR2.
GT7 gets lots of talk, I think it’s very close to be a killer app, it’s the real deal and the game I would jump in for if I wasn’t sceptical about Sony’s support for secondary platforms.

PC enabled headsets can’t realistically compete unless they’re stand-alone, a dedicated PCVR setup is a lot more expensive.

Quest 3 is going to be the headset to beat this year. Apple could possibly surprise too if they can combine a lowend cheaper headset and Apple Arcade somehow.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

It's in stores in Portugal too. Even in my small town.
But i entertained with all this VR threads from Eddie since psvr2 came out. All the doom and gloom and shit...

Why would they sell you the hardware at a loss (most likely) so you can can buy games from another ecosystem where they get no cut?
It adds value to the unit? And overall by offering that bit more you might suck more customers into your ecosystem than losing money on units that go to people that do not even have a PS5. (They could also require a PS5 for a buy.)
Of course it's a gamble, but a unit that only plays those few PS5 games is considerable less worth, not worth it for me, for now at least, than a unit that is sort of open. They don't have to, sure, but I don't have to buy it then also and VR1 will probably be my only headset, currently unused, and was fun for the novelty but now I want a better product. Quest, and only their games, is also "worthless". Either of them doing open platform would be an instant buy for me.

Kupfer

They should sell it in stores and online on Amazon/Walmart if they want to sell more. Many people don't even know it's out.

Give it official PC support and it could be easily done.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it got official support on PC with Steam VR integration.

Now let's not evaluate the topic from the point of view of the consumer, who always has something to complain about, but let's approach the topic logically and economically.

Why should they? Why should Sony sell it for PC usage?
For sure, the PSVR2, as well as the last Playstation consoles when they were new, is cross-subsidized and recoups the money through software sales in the Playstation Store.
Unlocking the HMD from start on the PC would be great for the end user, I mean I would not complain either, but it would be economically stupid.
It's not ONLY about selling as many units as possible, but also about strengthening their ecosystem, namely that of Playstation, and attracting shoppers to their own store.

EDIT:
Based on the strategy they adopted with the original. No reason to think otherwise now, especially considering this one is even $150 more expensive than the original.
Good point, didn't know that.
But still, let us recalculate how expensive the PSVR would be today - 150$ 7 years ago aren't 150$ today.
According to your source, the "big" bundle with move controllers and camera cost $500 in 2016, which would be an inflation-adjusted $623.25 today.
The PSVR2 is cheaper today in relation to the purchasing power.
At the very least, I wouldn't rule out the PSVR2 not being profitable from the get-go given the circumstances these days - until we hear otherwise.

And even if the hardware were profitable, you wouldn't know how profitable. $50 per unit, $10 per unit, $0.2 per unit?

In any case, I think that from a business point of view, Sony can not be blamed for not supporting HMD fully on the PC from day 1, who knows what will happen in the future if PSVR2 games are ported to the PC.

However, if there are resourceful developers who can get PSVR2 to work on PC, I wouldn't complain.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Why should they? Why should Sony sell it for PS [PC] usage?
For sure, the PSVR2, as well as the last Playstation consoles when they were new, is cross-subsidized and recoups the money through software sales in the Playstation Store.
Unlocking the HMD from start on the PC would be great for the end user, I mean I would not complain either, but it would be economically stupid.
It's not ONLY about selling as many units as possible, but also about strengthening their ecosystem, namely that of Playstation, and attracting shoppers to their own store.
They would sell more headsets, get more positive talk on social media and in the VR community, which would signal to developers that it’s a platform worth making games for, which would lead to more games, more people buying the headset etc etc.
Plus, they’re on PC now for regular games so putting their VR games there would be a natural evolution and not doing it through their own headset wouldn’t make sense.

Kupfer

They would sell more headsets, get more positive talk on social media and in the VR community, which would signal to developers that it’s a platform worth making games for, which would lead to more games, more people buying the headset etc etc.
Plus, they’re on PC now for regular games so putting their VR games there would be a natural evolution and not doing it through their own headset wouldn’t make sense.
Of course I meant [PC], edited, thanks.
Yes they would sell more HMDs that would run outside of the Playstation ecosystem and thus, even if the hardware were to be profitable in sales, except for the sale of the hardware, generate no revenue.
I'm not even arguing that Sony has to prevent PSVR2 at PC at all cost, but I can understand the economic point of view that Sony undoubtedly has to take.
And as you say, who knows if there will be support in the future if Sony exclusive PSVR2 games are ported to PC - but these games have to be developed and released first. Until then, there might already be better HMDs + controllers for the PC in this price range.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Of course I meant [PC], edited, thanks.
Yes they would sell more HMDs that would run outside of the Playstation ecosystem and thus, even if the hardware were to be profitable in sales, except for the sale of the hardware, generate no revenue.
I'm not even arguing that Sony has to prevent PSVR2 at PC at all cost, but I can understand the economic point of view that Sony undoubtedly has to take.
And as you say, who knows if there will be support in the future if Sony exclusive PSVR2 games are ported.
PCVR isn’t big enough yet to negatively affect PSVR2 games sales, it would just be a huge PR win to get more people to dare investing and have PCVR gamers talking about how great the headset is, just like it was for Quest 2, and through positive talks comes more sales no doubt.
The walled-garden approach just increase the already heated tribalism and through that comes FUD and negativity from those not interested in swapping garden so to speak.

Kupfer

PCVR isn’t big enough yet to negatively affect PSVR2 games sales, it would just be a huge PR win to get more people to dare investing and have PCVR gamers talking about how great the headset is, just like it was for Quest 2, and through positive talks comes more sales no doubt.
Tell me, why doesn't Sony do it that way?
It's not as if well-paid marketing-experts are sitting at SIE whose job it is to analyze numbers (which we don't know) and develop a strategy based on them.

You're making an assertion that has a right to exist, but there will be reasons in the background why Sony doesn't do it that way people (PC users) want it to be.
I try to figure out why it is the way it is, in order to understand made decisions, whether I like them or not.
The walled-garden approach just increase the already heated tribalism and through that comes FUD and negativity from those not interested in swapping garden so to speak.
Sorry, I don't get that.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Good point, didn't know that.
But still, that us recalculate how expensive the PSVR would be today - 150$ 7 years ago aren't 150$ today.
According to your source, the "big" bundle with move controllers and camera cost $500 in 2016, which would be an inflation-adjusted $623.25 today.
The PSVR2 is cheaper today in relation to the purchasing power.
At the very least, I wouldn't rule out the PSVR2 not being profitable from the get-go given the circumstances these days - until we hear otherwise.

And even if the hardware were profitable, you wouldn't know how profitable. $50 per unit, $10 per unit, $0.2 per unit?

In any case, I think that from a business point of view, Sony can not be blamed for not supporting HMD fully on the PC from day 1, who knows what will happen in the future if PSVR2 games are ported to the PC.

However, if there are resourceful developers who can get PSVR2 to work on PC, I wouldn't complain.
Agreed. I am not writing it off completely that the PSVR2 could be sold at a slight loss, evens, or even a small profit. Just saying I doubt they ever treat it like they do the PS5. But from indications, even the PS5 wasn't sold at the kinda loss margins the PS4 was sold at. By estimates, and even my own leisurely estimates, the PS5 has a BOM of around $450.

And I can understand, from a business standpoint why sony does not support the PC. I mean, why make one of the best and most affordable VR headsets and controllers, then allow everyone that has a PC to use it to get an all-around better VR experience than your own console? Can you imagine what a 4090-driving a VR game can do with the PSVR2 setup?

Fredrik

Tell me, why doesn't Sony do it that way?
It's not as if well-paid marketing-experts are sitting at SIE whose job it is to analyze numbers (which we don't know) and develop a strategy based on them.

You're making an assertion that has a right to exist, but there will be reasons in the background why Sony doesn't do it that way people (PC users) want it to be.
I try to figure out why it is the way it is, in order to understand made decisions, whether I like them or not.

Sorry, I don't get that.
Hard to say why they aren’t doing SteamVR compatibility, personally I think it’ll limit it’s reach to not open that door, it certainly helped Meta and I don’t see why it wouldn’t help Sony as well, they could catch two groups of gamers with one device and get more people talking and hyping up their hardware.
But it is what it is.

Hard to say why they aren’t doing SteamVR compatibility, personally I think it’ll limit it’s reach to not open that door, it certainly helped Meta and I don’t see why it wouldn’t help Sony as well, they could catch two groups of gamers with one device and get more people talking and hyping up their hardware.
But it is what it is.
If Sony would make it SteamVR compatible, it means that you will buy games not from the Sony store, so the only way they earn money on the headset is taken away. Sony can choose to go this road but it would mean they have to earn their money from VR headset sales, so it will be more/much more expensive to buy the headset. I think it's very smart from Sony to create their own VR ecosystem which also happens to be the best place to play.

Fredrik

If Sony would make it SteamVR compatible, it means that you will buy games not from the Sony store, so the only way they earn money on the headset is taken away. Sony can choose to go this road but it would mean they have to earn their money from VR headset sales, so it will be more/much more expensive to buy the headset. I think it's very smart from Sony to create their own VR ecosystem which also happens to be the best place to play.
It’s a tiny group of gamers, PCVR is not a big segment of the industry. I think the upsides would easily outweigh the little downsides, it would be great PR for the headset quality, the constant talk and youtubers raving about it could lure those who’re not interested in a $5k PC into PS5 instead.

It’s a tiny group of gamers, PCVR is not a big segment of the industry. I think the upsides would easily outweigh the little downsides, it would be great PR for the headset quality, the constant talk and youtubers raving about it could lure those who’re not interested in a $5k PC into PS5 instead.
All true but a company must make money, bigger profits each year. And this would take that away, shareholders will walk out and Sony would go broke after a while. Money is the most important thing for a company, unfortunately good PR not so much.

Interfectum

PSVR2 will have a long tail and you'll see hardware bumps as bigger and better games come out. No doubt it will beat PSVR1 sales it will just take time.

No chance. The first headset sold 2M just over 1 year at a time when everyone was into the VR fad. Stores had dedicated areas to try them out, and everyone was buying anything VR, including the $15 garbage that wasn't actually Virtual Reality, but just mirrored binoculars in front of a phone or MP3 player screen. News media outside of tech was covering it extensively because people believed we had progressed further than we actually did, and that you would be doing everything you did on your PC, in VR within a few years. Which was completely wrong obviously.

VR2 is releasing expensively during a period no one was buying VR but Quest, which is now one foot in the grave. No fanfare, no media coverage, no people rushing out to buy the new fad, and launching with many of the same games people stopped playing on the Quest after a day or two.

People think VR2 is going to sell 2M in 1 year? Based on what? Only having one wire? People didn't care about that when the fad was hot. Remember, they were buying fake VR kits in $15 bins because Virtual Reality was the "in" thing until 2018. Then you noticed all those companies went quiet overnight.

Did everyone forget this image during the boom:
1477616415headsets.jpg

VR2 can't compete with that.

I suspect 500k give or take in the first year. After that I don't see it doing well without a price cut or exclusive experiences you can only get on VR2.

No chance. The first headset sold 2M just over 1 year at a time when everyone was into the VR fad. Stores had dedicated areas to try them out, and everyone was buying anything VR, including the $15 garbage that wasn't actually Virtual Reality, but just mirrored binoculars in front of a phone or MP3 player screen. News media outside of tech was covering it extensively because people believed we had progressed further than we actually did, and that you would be doing everything you did on your PC, in VR within a few years. Which was completely wrong obviously.

VR2 is releasing expensively during a period no one was buying VR but Quest, which is now one foot in the grave. No fanfare, no media coverage, no people rushing out to buy the new fad, and launching with many of the same games people stopped playing on the Quest after a day or two.

People think VR2 is going to sell 2M in 1 year? Based on what? Only having one wire? People didn't care about that when the fad was hot. Remember, they were buying fake VR kits in $15 bins because Virtual Reality was the "in" thing until 2018. Then you noticed all those companies went quiet overnight.

Did everyone forget this image during the boom:
1477616415headsets.jpg

VR2 can't compete with that.

I suspect 500k give or take in the first year. After that I don't see it doing well without a price cut or exclusive experiences you can only get on VR2.
They went quiet overnight because what they sold was crap. One VR set is not the same as another. Only the crap disappeared.

Also, you can only expect to get crap at 15 bucks, buy it because you want to be cheap, have the most horrible experience, and then complain about VR being crap.

No VR isn’t crap, what you bought is crap and that’s exactly what you should expect when you get things for almost free. That’s why you don’t see those things anymore because a lot of people burned their eyes on it.

I am no seer but I can see PSVR2 selling 2 million in the first year, the set is excellent. The price is low for what you get, and word of mouth is excellent to say the least.

Last edited:
They went quiet overnight because what they sold was crap. One VR set is not the same as another. Only the crap disappeared.

No, almost all the companies in VR disappeared, and the lacking tech demo experiences are still dominating the field now. People were buying just for those then, now they are not.

The original fad included all headsets. There is no boom right now, what's going to get people to run to VR2? The environment is completely different now, barely any coverage outside tech, retailers are no longer given incentives to push Virtual Reality in the faces of consumers more, and there's economic strain.

How is VR2 going to sell 2M in 1 year like the first without having anything to cause the customer to come running?

No, almost all the companies in VR disappeared, and the lacking tech demo experiences are still dominating the field now. People were buying just for those then, now they are not.

The original fad included all headsets. There is no boom right now, what's going to get people to run to VR2? The environment is completely different now, barely any coverage outside tech, retailers are no longer given incentives to push Virtual Reality in the faces of consumers more, and there's economic strain.

How is VR2 going to sell 2M in 1 year like the first without having anything to cause the customer to come running?
You must have missed CES 2023, thing was almost exclusively about new headsets from countless brands.

Crayon

"Tech demos." "Experiences." You're out of touch.

Unable to adjust the headset properly, those guys...

Top Bottom