• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony cross-play documents with Epic/Dev's

I'm not much of a multiplayer guy but whenever I did want to play something online I had no problem finding enough people for any game on PSN before cross play was even a thing, I really don't see the benefit here.
The population of multiplayer games decreases over time in most cases. Crossplay can significantly extend the life of many games, which benefits everyone that plays it.

The benefits aren't always immediately noticeable either. For instance, you may not have had a problem finding a match or whatever, but a game that's matchmaking on only one platform might take 2-3 mins, where with crossplay it could be less than 30 seconds.

There's tangible benefits to having crossplay between consoles at least. The Xbox has always been a more multiplayer focused console, resulting in more of its users playing those games. This whole narrative that PSNs userbase is/was propping up XBLs userbase is just those fanboys wetdream.

Now crossplaying consoles with pc is a whole different ballgame. That crossplay confirmed a couple of narratives that pc players have been peddling for years.

• For 20 years console players were told that any game that allowed both controllers with M/KB would expose just how far superior M/KB players really were. It wasn't even up for debate that no matter what, that it would be like shooting fish in a barrel for pc players. Probably the most often cited complaint on Warzone from pc players is that the controllers are too OP. 🤣 M/KB is better overall, but the gap between the two isn't anywhere near what they said it was.

• Along with controls, the other narrative that's been continuously mentioned were the number of hackers/cheaters on pc... Or the lack thereof. If I had a dollar for everytime I saw a pc player downplay the number of cheaters they came across, I'd be set. Some claimed they at most encountered one perhaps once a year. Others would say that in all their time playing on pc that they had come across 3 or 4 at most. Some even went so far as to claim they had never even seen one, and called them unicorns. Anyone who has played Warzone knows different now.

ethomaz

Banned
• For 20 years console players were told that any game that allowed both controllers with M/KB would expose just how far superior M/KB players really were. It wasn't even up for debate that no matter what, that it would be like shooting fish in a barrel for pc players. Probably the most often cited complaint on Warzone from pc players is that the controllers are too OP. 🤣 M/KB is better overall, but the gap between the two isn't anywhere near what they said it was.
Because they compared M/KB with console with heavy Aim Assist.
If devs remove the AI assist from console the gap is monstrous big.
They do that to try to make console not have disadvantages but the amount of Aim Assist needs to be so big to cover the gap that the controller end having the advantage in bad implementations.

In CoD you don't even need to aim... the AI do that to you on console.
There is no way to M/KB beat that without Aim Assist too.

This is a good study with examples of the difference between M/KB and controller without Aim Assist (same conditions).

• Along with controls, the other narrative that's been continuously mentioned were the number of hackers/cheaters on pc... Or the lack thereof. If I had a dollar for everytime I saw a pc player downplay the number of cheaters they came across, I'd be set. Some claimed they at most encountered one perhaps once a year. Others would say that in all their time playing on pc that they had come across 3 or 4 at most. Some even went so far as to claim they had never even seen one, and called them unicorns. Anyone who has played Warzone knows different now.
Hacks and cheaters on PC are indeed bigger than any other platform excluding Mobile Phones.
And it not small in any way.

Most people even cheating will say they are not cheating... it is the normal of the human... very very fell will be honest... and to be fair these PC players that says that never or very few cases encountered cheating players are probably cheating too.

BTW these points just shows different platforms can't cross-play between them... one of them will be always at disadvantage.
When SJW crossplay understand that we will be better playfield for our gaming sessions.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Explains the UE 5 PlayStation showcase. I can't blame Sony either for dragging their heels.
It's great for consumers but it's not in Sonys best interest to provide it in their market leading position unless Epic provides some huge incentives (which they did).
At least they got there in the end.

MScarpa

Im sorry I don't care for some unknown faceless dudes over the internet who whines about cross play instead of getting the system they want access to..

With regards to Cyberpunk, they should have read some reviews before getting the game. And they could always geta refund
Dude go cover some more billy joel songs lmao

Thirty7ven

Banned
E0o4_laX0AYShyK

Is this real? Somebody is shy about sharing numbers ahahaha

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
It had nothing to do with Xbox. It was mostly due to the Switch release when people downloaded Fortnite for the Switch BUT WERE BLOCKED FROM LOGGING IN because they used their account on the PlayStation.
I was one of those people. Fuck Sony for that!

Lort

Banned
This.

I play Division 2 religiously but fuck me is it dead on Xbox. Matchmaking takes ages to find anyone to run through a raid or some bounties. Same issue with Outriders in the first few weeks it was out.

On PS4 I never had matchmaking issues. There's still a decent amount playing and I'm able to find a match fairly quickly.

Which is why my PS4 Pro is getting repaired this week. I can't fucking handle it anymore on Xbox. I'll enjoy future 1st party exclusives on GamePass but I miss the games on that noisy bastard of a console from Sony but very happy to be able to enjoy both Xbox and PS.

You're on a warning for a perm ban. Don't you think its smarter to tone it down in your posts instead of going full blown console warrior?
Aww im so sorry your snowflake tendencies misinterpreted the truth as a troll... and so you had to threaten me with a ban because free speech hurt your feelings.

please explain in detail the events that lead sony to change its mind on cross play...

did it involve public backlash ... why yes it did indeed my friend

did it involve “protecting the children” which despite being laughably ridiculous .. i didnt even mention.. but yes it did my friend

did it involve sony charging a tax that no other console or platform charges .. including apple .. a tax so egregious its more anti competitive than what epic alleges of apple .. in the court cause that caused the leak of this information...

yes my friend it did.

now you try explain how all that went down without the truth, in a way less hurtful to your feelings so that i can learn to only say what im supposed to say.

Last edited:

Prison Mike

Banned
Aww im so sorry your snowflake tendencies misinterpreted the truth as a troll... and so you had to threaten me with a ban because free speech hurt your feelings.

please explain in detail the events that lead sony to change its mind on cross play...

did it involve public backlash ... why yes it did indeed my friend

did it involve “protecting the children” which despite being laughably ridiculous .. i didnt even mention.. but yes it did my friend

did it involve sony charging a tax that no other console or platform charges .. including apple .. a tax so egregious its more anti competitive than what epic alleges of apple .. in the court cause that caused the leak of this information...

yes my friend it did.

now you try explain how all that went down without the truth, in a way less hurtful to your feelings so that i can learn to only say what im supposed to say.
Will Ferrell Goodbye GIF by filmeditor

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'd love to know the reason why Epic is so in bed with Sony.
The answer on the second image in the first thread is embarrassing from a business standpoint. I'd think that being a multiplatform company you'd want to be as neutral as possible but that email screams anything but that.

And about the revenue share, WTF.
The thing that we are getting with that Epic lawsuit is that we shouldn't root for any company at all. They only want their money and even when they say "4 the players" they don't want something as good for them as crossplay. It's really crazy
It took this lawsuit for you to realize that?

hemo memo

Gold Member
Remember when Sony was the only one who didn't have cross-play support for Fortnite accounts in the PS4? Good times. I'm not really sure how the relationship between Epic and Sony will be in the future, but I just hope that this means more implementation of the cross-play feature in their online games down the line. So many people have been putting up Fortnite accounts for sale back then because of Sony's stubbornness to not add cross-play even to the free online games that they have on their PS Store.
Remember when people defended them for that with that long thread? Good times.

Top Bottom