• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony creating new mobile division inside of PlayStation Studios

Renozokii

Nice. Really taking that money saved by the Japan Studio closure and reinvesting it into areas gamers want.
Japan studios turned its own self into a dog shit level studio and was restructured around someone that proved capable of delivered polished games that gamers enjoy in an efficient manner.

Sony had their best gen of all time in terms of games and I’m pretty confused over this attitude they have something left to prove. We have probably the best line up of year one first parties ever for a console coming so it’s not like they are showing signs of slowing down or going to shit.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Source: https://boards.greenhouse.io/sonyinteractiveentertainmentplaystation/jobs/3051283

Do you want to lead the development and strategy of mobile gaming and help shape the future of gaming for a world-class studio? As Head of Mobile, you will own and develop the mobile games strategy for PlayStation Studios and help build a foundation for future growth opportunities. You will lead all aspects of the expansion of our game development from consoles and PCs to mobile & Live Services with a focus on successfully adapting PlayStation’s most popular franchises for mobile. You will be responsible for building and scaling a team of mobile leaders and will serve as the Head of this new business unit within PlayStation Studios.

Makes perfect sense.

Renozokii

Is Ryan's passion to destroy this company?

I mean seriously, he heard that Don Mattrick was the guy who fucked a platform up the most in the history of console gaming and went all "hold my bear" kinda thing?
It’s becoming borderline cringe to come to this site. It’s literally the last week this hate brigade has gone into 20th fucking gear. Sony Japan sucked as a developer, this is going to be the best first year any console has ever had from games to sales, and MS still doesn’t have a game out. The dual sense and the ps5s ssd are by a mile the most interesting parts of this gen so far. What am I supposed to hate Jim for again? Not sucking off Japan to get a piece of the dying console industry of their country?

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Well this is a slap to face to everyone that still wants Sony to revive the PlayStation Portable hardware again. Why do a PlayStation mobile studio when they can do just that and listen to the fans who want PlayStation Portable to be revived again.

So with MS they are pushing for full console games via streaming.

It appears PS is headed towards native mobile games?

Native mobile games but not exactly the console formula of gaming.

Mobile gamers are different breed. Games have to be designed in certain way for mobile.

Last edited:

Arkam

Almost....

Jim works for Kenichero Yoshida and Ken Yoshida sold out to Microsoft.

Jack Nicholson Hair GIF by MOODMAN
Sold out...or bought in? [dun dun dun]

Aenima

Why? Sony already has a mobile game division under Aniplex. What IPs can PlayStation leverage that will bring in as much money as their anime gatcha games, like Fate/Grand Order?
Aniplex operates under Sony Music division. Any money Fate/Grand Order do goes to that division. And if im not mistaken, the Developers of the game are actually 3rd party, Aniplex is the publisher.
Sony already has a mobile Playstation division for some time, but they dont have released anything worthwhile. They seem to be trying to make a better effort on mobile now that will actually bring money to the gaming division.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It’s becoming borderline cringe to come to this site. It’s literally the last week this hate brigade has gone into 20th fucking gear. Sony Japan sucked as a developer, this is going to be the best first year any console has ever had from games to sales, and MS still doesn’t have a game out. The dual sense and the ps5s ssd are by a mile the most interesting parts of this gen so far. What am I supposed to hate Jim for again? Not sucking off Japan to get a piece of the dying console industry of their country?
Saying the ssd and the controller is the most exciting this gen in a hobby that's about playing games sounds so wrong in any way possible.

But why do you check Gaf then? Feeling insecure by Gaf not defending every lame thing Sony does anymore?

We've seen plenty of hardcore Sony defenders on this board beginning to question sonys decisions lately.

And that really says Sony are doing things they shouldn't.

Your ssd doesn't help you on your phone though.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
Mobile games development fuckloads more sense than releasing exclusive content on pc.

Unlike what mazda racers say. Pc is an direct competitor. For time and money. Mobile at its current form is not.

cormack12

Gold Member
So with MS they are pushing for full console games via streaming.

It appears PS is headed towards native mobile games?

Interesting times ahead.

MS should perhaps open a mobile games studio as well. Native Halo on mobile?

This is the most interesting thing to take from the listing and I agree. It's a bit of a distinction in the two strategies

Sony allow you to play your AAA via remote play/PSNow on PC and other consoles (but not mobile)
Sony will make native games for mobile using their AAA IPs
This will lead to native, better optimised experiences on the devices but probably smaller in scale, scope and design. Things like Tomb Raider GO etc.
There won't be a streaming barrier as the apps/games will be stored locally

I'm guessing they will try and convert those mobile gamers into console buyers. Whereas:

Microsoft are using xCloud and software to allow any game to be played on any mobile device
Microsoft don't need to worry about making mobile game alternatives
This will lead to authentic, AAA games being on the devices but the experience might not be as good as a native port. Playing things like SoR4 is OK for example but trying to play something like FIFA is harder and also really needs a controller anyway imo.

Last edited:
How can a company fuck up so bad their best division? seriously what the hell is wrong with Sony? they are just honestly killing the PlayStation momentum they had with the PS4 :/

No new games. no big games.
no exclusives we know about.
releasing their games on PC.
killing sony japan.
Raising the gaming prices.
censoring games for no reason ( oh no we can't show Lady's ass in DCM is too cute ).

for the love of god. stahppp

What will it take for someone to actually fire this old idiot?
Sales says othewise. Exit from this bubble. There's no such thing especially the censoship on dmc5 , that's bullshit.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Goalus

Wasn't the spencer idea about billions of gamers?
"We built our strategy around: Play the games you want, with the people you want, with the devices you want or already have"Why? Because we are in 2020, dozens of mobile devices of all types and manufacturers are able to run Fortnite without major problems
Microsoft is doing it right though.
They continue to make traditional games and bring them to mobile devices via xClound. The OP reads as if Sony were going to make mobile games.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Microsoft is doing it right though.
They continue to make traditional games and bring them to mobile devices via xClound. The OP reads as if Sony were going to make mobile games.

This is about native mobile games.

Last edited:
Mobile gaming is a good idea. Make a lot of easy money that way.

As far as streaming to phone. Are there people who actually play their console games streaming through their phone? Why?

ksdixon

Can we not get a phone holder attachment that's essentially like clipping two sides of a PS4 or PS5 pad onto each side? Then you have your r1,r2,l1,L2,rs,ls buttons and sticks, you have android's PS4/PS5 remote play app and possibly PSNow too.

Atm I click my pad into a phone holder clip, but it doesn't look good when compared to, say, a Vita

KAL2006

Banned

Honestly if there was a android phone I can buy like this in this day and age I would be the first in line. I know there are tons of options out there with attaching controls to a normal smartphone but there is something about just having controls built in. It would be my ultimate emulation device while being a phone.

reksveks

Can we not get a phone holder attachment that's essentially like clipping two sides of a PS4 or PS5 pad onto each side? Then you have your r1,r2,l1,L2,rs,ls buttons and sticks, you have android's PS4/PS5 remote play app and possibly PSNow too.

Atm I click my pad into a phone holder clip, but it doesn't look good when compared to, say, a Vita
Different from the razer kishi? I use that to remote into my series s

Last edited:

ksdixon

Sort of, yeah, if we cant get a damn Vita shell with the needed buttons and sticks, something like the kishi would be the next best thing, if they aren't gonna attempt another Xperia Play style device to use with the PS Remote Play app

John Wick

Source: https://boards.greenhouse.io/sonyinteractiveentertainmentplaystation/jobs/3051283

Do you want to lead the development and strategy of mobile gaming and help shape the future of gaming for a world-class studio? As Head of Mobile, you will own and develop the mobile games strategy for PlayStation Studios and help build a foundation for future growth opportunities. You will lead all aspects of the expansion of our game development from consoles and PCs to mobile & Live Services with a focus on successfully adapting PlayStation’s most popular franchises for mobile. You will be responsible for building and scaling a team of mobile leaders and will serve as the Head of this new business unit within PlayStation Studios.
Typical Sony. Late to the party. They should have set up a mobile division years ago. With the right people and experience in mobile games. Huge potential to make money for the right franchises. Jim Ryan's leadership is rubbish.

xShaun

Future; you have two choices.

PS: Mobile game with microtransactions
XB: Gamepass app with full console game

Screenshot this in 8K, you know its true baby.

ksdixon

A34v5dF.jpg

Something following alongside this design pbilosophy would be my ultimate end goal. Imagine this on a regular mobile without MS' surface duo 2 screen phone; similar to a Razor Kishi. You would have all the needed shoulder buttons and clickable sticks for 1:1 input with PS4/PS5 Remote Play. I'd go with this at least, if sony aren't planning on making a Vita 2 or a modernised Xperia Play phone.

Ironically, the Surface Duo is my exact phone right now, the 2 screens are invaluable, as you can be locked into an app that dies when you take it off the screen (remote play, banking apps), and still have your 2nd screen for doing phone shit like cross referencing information, chatting over messenger etc).

thelastword

Banned
So Fate grand Order and others will come under PS Mobile......The revenue they post for the gaming division will be insane......Apart from Fate, Sony also has many other games under Music and Pictures, if they consolidate all that, they can better manage them....

Also, Vita 2.0 seems likely, seems it's a thing afterall and it's not like we have not heard rumors, with AMD already testing 3nm etc...A VITA with 5700Xt graphics will be insane.....Or how about a Vita 2 with a chiplet design.....Absolute bonkers, but I think there are several megatons down that street...

It makes sense, Sony need to get part of that mobile pie....Anniplex is huge, they already have several mobile games big and small, they can even bring some of their indies to mobile.....Hot shots Golf could be great for mobile....Let's be honest, Jim isn't leaving any money on the table...COD and Fortnite are on mobile. Sony has FATE but they can now look for more hits there....

Awesome uncharted needed touch controls
Uncharted Golden Abyss had awesome mobile controls.......People forget that gem, hopefully we get a remake on PS5....

Top Bottom