• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony creating new mobile division inside of PlayStation Studios

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://boards.greenhouse.io/sonyinteractiveentertainmentplaystation/jobs/3051283

Do you want to lead the development and strategy of mobile gaming and help shape the future of gaming for a world-class studio? As Head of Mobile, you will own and develop the mobile games strategy for PlayStation Studios and help build a foundation for future growth opportunities. You will lead all aspects of the expansion of our game development from consoles and PCs to mobile & Live Services with a focus on successfully adapting PlayStation’s most popular franchises for mobile. You will be responsible for building and scaling a team of mobile leaders and will serve as the Head of this new business unit within PlayStation Studios.

Kuranghi

2m2qc9.jpg

edit - I should contribute sorry, uhhh... God of War GO? I'm not a mobile gamer, my friend is always talking about getting "gems" on his phone, but I have no idea what that means.

Last edited:

sainraja

Hmm, I guess, they can't/shouldn't ignore mobile. Hopefully it's not going to take away from traditional gaming.

BlackM1st

Banned
And people said Sony was only going to focus on big games. ;)
Genshin Impact is probably bigger than any Sony IP man.

Free-to-play RPG Genshin Impact has hit another new record, making over US $1billion in mobile revenue in just six months since it first launched. According to Sensor Tower, this is the shortest period of time that a game on the App Store and Google Play has hit US $1billion

Last edited:
Probably a pretty good idea, financially speaking. Nintendo dipped their toes into it pretty recently and already it seems to have done them a bunch of good.

This is money they can put into all kinds of stuff. Not a bad move.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Mobile gaming is scary for Sony after the ps vita failure and causes them anxiety I don’t give a fuck what anyone says gaming is for TVs go to Nintendo for the game boy for the mobile experience.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So instead of PS games on PSP or Vita, they'll now be cheap downscaled versions for mtx loving smartphone gamers.

A solid win for expanding the gamer base and profits. Look at historical PS console sales. On avg, around 100M or so. They never reached the old ass PS2 days and that was 150 M 15 years ago. Gaming has expanded a lot. They know console buyers are limited, but smartphone gaming is off the charts.

Someone should post the console/PC/mobile pie chart again that showed mobile revenue was more than consoles and PC combined. Us gamers on forums think mobile is crap, but the avg gamer sitting on the couch or bus doesn't.

Got to admit, Jim knows what he's doing.

Last edited:

Aenima

Whoever takes this job, they should colab with the team creating the TLOU multiplayer game and adapt a mobile version where players could play with eachother and move back and forward from the console version to mobile version and vice versa.

Adapting single player games to mobile dont work too well as its not easy to monetise them.

EDMIX

It's worked out so well for Nintendo.

Agreed. People joke, but it has. Mobile is the place here a shit load of companies make bank.

EverydayBeast EverydayBeast "Mobile gaming is scary for Sony after the ps vita failure" I actually disagree. I'd say its less scare as think about it, they are not MAKING the handheld hardware and don't need to market for a device etc. The device already exist so it lowers that entry and I'd say allows them to take a bit more risk.

So I'm against them going and doing another handheld, but I have no issue with mobile. It makes sense for right now even if I don't game on phones like that. I get the move.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Get ps1 games playable on mobile. Controller enabled and trophy linked. Cheap to make and some killer back catalogue to mine.

Maybe then port it to the PS5

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Is Ryan's passion to destroy this company?

I mean seriously, he heard that Don Mattrick was the guy who fucked a platform up the most in the history of console gaming and went all "hold my bear" kinda thing?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sony definitely has a lot of IPs they can release as mobile shovelware.

- The Last of Farmville - Farm apples in a post apocalyptic world
- Angry Cunts - Starring Ellie and Abby
- Uncharted Candy Crush - Crush the hopes of playstation fans by forcing Naughty Dog to make candy crush spinoffs.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont think this is a new division. Sony already has a Sony Mobile Publishing division. Looks like they just need someone to head it.

This mobile division already does the PC ports as publisher.

This job looks like it will expand to development too. Which means more PC games at minimum (which makes sense as Sony said that already). So I'm going to assume this mobile division will be the PC port division (which doesn't necessarily only do smartphone stuff). It will do all non-console games.

Last edited:

nikolino840

So instead of PS games on PSP or Vita, they'll now be cheap downscaled versions for mtx loving smartphone gamers.

A solid win for expanding the gamer base and profits. Look at historical PS console sales. On avg, around 100M or so. They never reached the old ass PS2 days and that was 150 M 15 years ago. Gaming has expanded a lot. They know console buyers are limited, but smartphone gaming is off the charts.

Someone should post the console/PC/mobile pie chart again that showed mobile revenue was more than consoles and PC combined. Us gamers on forums think mobile is crap, but the avg gamer sitting on the couch or bus doesn't.

Got to admit, Jim knows what he's doing.
Wasn't the spencer idea about billions of gamers?
"We built our strategy around: Play the games you want, with the people you want, with the devices you want or already have"Why? Because we are in 2020, dozens of mobile devices of all types and manufacturers are able to run Fortnite without major problems

Top Bottom