• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms no free PS5 Upgrade for PS4 Spider-Man Owners

Jada_Li

Banned
But why put it behind another game (Miles Morales)? Just give it as an upgrade similar to CoD.

I usually think when game companies do this sort of thing it is meant for players who are new to the series, thus having an incentive to get both games if they didn't already have the first Spider Man that connects with the storyline to Miles Morales. I'm sure I am not the only one who never played the first game either, but is interested in both. This reminds me of CD Projekt Red having a bundle on all the Witcher games with a preorder of Cyberpunk 2077. The way I see it, it is really aimed at those who didn't own any of it but was interested in the series. Otherwise, I also think it's diehard fans who want to collect almost everything, if not everything, which may make up some of the sales as well.

Whether someone wants to repurchase a game on a different console is their decision. Personally, I only do this for my favorite games such as buying Resident Evil 4 twice because the Gamecube version did not include the Separate Ways scenario and some other goodies.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It's too bad that IP didn't pan out. It could have been Sony's Gears of War. I was really into the lore.

I bought it day 1 because I thought Sony never disappointed me before so that was my fault really.

As a PS+ free game, yeah cool short experience but not $60 and relying on the good faith and that fans would bite.

FranXico

Anybody getting a PS5 with an interest in Spider-Man will get Miles Morales. You think the remaster is the system seller here? People are getting a PS5 only to play the remastered?
At $70? I'd rather just replay the original game remastered for less, yeah.
But I can't, so I won't buy either. So Sony already lost one sale here for being too greedy.

yurinka

If you have Spiderman for PS4, you'll be able to play it for free in PS5 enhaced with boost mode enhacements.
If you get Miles Morales on PS4, you'll get its PS5 version for free.
If you have Miles Morales, for a $20 extra you'll have a Spiderman PS5 remaster that also includes its 3 DLCs and additional new content and features.

The remaster isn't just the PS5 version of Spiderman: it's a fully remastered version with remade assets, more pedestrians, cars, drawn distance, higher fps and resolution, added raytracing, better lighting and shadows, extra content like the 3 paid DLCs, 3 new costumes, extra photo mode features, 3D audio, DualSense features and more. With separate savegames and trophies from the original game because of the different stuff included.

It's dumb to expect them to give away a remaster and its paid DLCs for free, because when companies made a next gen remaster or paid DLCs is to sell them because there's plently of work there.

Specially in cases like these where it's a console exclusive and not a PC game where the next gen version is just the same game with other graphical settings. Here there is work with remaking art assets and adding new technology, content and features that wasn't in this game, plus 3 paid DLCs on top of that, which themselves alone are more expensive that these $20.

It's free, with more substantial upgrades than Spider Man, and they're showing off comparison shots now.

100 fps, improved textures, PC ultra settings, volumetric fog and particle increase, faster load times.

Gears 5 is just the same game than in XBO but choosing higher visual settings of its PC version for the new console version.

Spiderman Remaster is a fully remastered game with many work made just this remaster, that wasn't previously there from a PC version: remade assets, included new technology and put on top new features, content and bundled it with all its paid DLCs.

It is a pretty different case.

Obviously. However Sony never stated if you get boosted resolution or FPS, from those older titles. If they would say that, that would not be an issue, however I feel like they don't do that if they have Remaster in store. Will see.
When talking about the Boost mode for BC, the PS5 website mentions higher or more stable framerates. I assume 'higher' is specially for games with unlocked framerate, while 'more stable' is specially for games with capped framerate. If we look at PS4 Pro boost mode, which I assume should be somewhat similar, I think we should also expect shortened loading times and higher resolution for games with dynamic resolution.

I don't remember if Spiderman had unlocked or capped, but I'd bet it had capped 30fps. If it's the case, I bet that when running on PS5 will have 30fps unless the Boost mode has something like frame interpolation, which I wouldn't bet on it. They annonced the remaster will have 60fps.

Give me a Ghost of Tsushima upgrade.
You'll be able to play GoT for free on PS5 with improvements, just like Spiderman. If they release a PS5 version of the same game it's very likely that they will give it to you for free as they do with Miles Morales, Sackboy, Horizon 2, Cyberpunk or many other ones.

But if they do a remaster with some new contents and features and bundled with its DLCs it won't be free.

Last edited:
If you have Spiderman for PS4, you'll be able to play it for free in PS5 enhaced with boost mode enhacements.
If you get Miles Morales on PS4, you'll get its PS5 version for free.
If you have Miles Morales, for a $20 extra you'll have a Spiderman PS5 remaster that also includes its 3 DLCs and additional new content and features.

The remaster isn't just the PS5 version of Spiderman: it's a fully remastered version with remade assets, more pedestrians, cars, drawn distance, higher fps and resolution, added raytracing, better lighting and shadows, extra content like the 3 paid DLCs, 3 new costumes, extra photo mode features, 3D audio, DualSense features and more. With separate savegames and trophies from the original game because of the different stuff included.

It's dumb to expect them to give away a remaster and its paid DLCs for free, because when companies made a next gen remaster or paid DLCs is to sell them because there's plently of work there.

Specially in cases like these where it's a console exclusive and not a PC game where the next gen version is just the same game with other graphical settings. Here there is work with remaking art assets and adding new technology, content and features that wasn't in this game, plus 3 paid DLCs on top of that, which themselves alone are more expensive that these $20.

Gears 5 is just the same game than in XBO but choosing higher visual settings of its PC version for the new console version.

Spiderman Remaster is a fully remastered game with many work made just this remaster, that wasn't previously there from a PC version: remade assets, included new technology and put on top new features, content and bundled it with all its paid DLCs.

It is a pretty different case.

When talking about the Boost mode for BC, the PS5 website mentions higher or more stable framerates. I assume 'higher' is specially for games with unlocked framerate, while 'more stable' is specially for games with capped framerate. If we look at PS4 Pro boost mode, which I assume should be somewhat similar, I think we should also expect shortened loading times and higher resolution for games with dynamic resolution.

I don't remember if Spiderman had unlocked or capped, but I'd bet it had capped 30fps. If it's the case, I bet that when running on PS5 will have 30fps unless the Boost mode has something like frame interpolation, which I wouldn't bet on it. They annonced the remaster will have 60fps.

You'll be able to play GoT for free on PS5 with improvements, just like Spiderman. If they release a PS5 version of the same game it's very likely that they will give it to you for free as they do with Miles Morales, Sackboy, Horizon 2, Cyberpunk or many other ones.

But if they do a remaster with some new contents and features and bundled with its DLCs it won't be free.
Once again, we need to see the evidence of improvement from ps4 disk boost mode on ps5 vs remaster.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Once again, we need to see the evidence of improvement from ps4 disk boost mode on ps5 vs remaster.

We'd also need a patch for Spider-Man on PS4. The game is currently locked to 30 fps. All the PS5 boost mode could do is perhaps increase the resolution, but if the maximum resolution is also locked (to 2560×1440), then the boost mode will have nothing to work with. So that PS4 patch should include an unlocked framerate/resolution option.

yurinka

Yes, we have to see them in action, but here we have the official info about them:

"Game boost
Enjoy faster and smoother frame rates in select PS4 and PS VR games."
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps5/

"But that’s not all; we have one more surprise for you today. On PS5, we are announcing an Ultimate Edition that includes a voucher code** for Marvel’s Spider-Man: Remastered. You’ll be able to experience the complete storyline up to this point, which includes the remaster of the original game and all three installments of the Marvel’s Spider-Man: The City That Never Sleeps DLC so you can play the full narrative arc.

The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game’s art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console’s horsepower. You’ll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You’ll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We’ll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller’s haptic feedback. Lastly we’re adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again."
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/16/see-the-marvels-spider-man-miles-morales-new-gameplay-demo/

We'd also need a patch for Spider-Man on PS4. The game is currently locked to 30 fps. All the PS5 boost mode could do is perhaps increase the resolution, but if the maximum resolution is also locked (to 2560×1440), then the boost mode will have nothing to work with. So that PS4 patch should include an unlocked framerate/resolution option.
I just checked about it and seems that while base PS4 version was 1080p, the PS4 Pro version had dynamic resolution, using resolutions like 3456×1944 or 2560×1368 and 2816×1584 during gameplay.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member

Yes I am completely aware and I know what I said. Give me an upgrade.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I just checked about it and seems that while base PS4 version was 1080p, the PS4 Pro version had dynamic resolution, using resolutions like 3456×1944 or 2560×1368 and 2816×1584 during gameplay.

My source for the 2560x1440 max resolution was a featured Google search snippet. The second (non featured) hit was an article that referenced Digital Foundry's findings that had the resolutions you listed. My lesson for today: improve google skills.

Sounds great until you realize you will never use any of this. I've own a xbox one since Day 1 and now a one X. Not even once I started a BC game and most of these games were also available on PC for years with far superior graphics anyway.

I'll gladly pay the 20$ to play a game I actually want to replay. Everyone was fine with paying a fee to play remasters before.

Suddenly, it's this big selling point. I can feel the desperation, like there is nothing else to use.
Your experience is just your experience. Tons of Xbox players play enhanced BC titles as Game Pass is full of them. Microsoft has said Xbox players have spent over a billion hours playing BC titles so it’s definitely something that is immensely popular.

I have played a ton of enhanced BC games on my Xbox One X, including Ninja Gaiden, the original Assassin’s Creed, both prior gen Batman titles (Asylum and City), Bayonetta, Borderlands 2, Darksiders, etc. I am looking at the list of BC titles and there is well over 30 or 40 I’ve played, almost all on Game Pass.

If you are a Game Pass subscriber, I can almost guarantee you’ve played enhanced BC titles as the catalog is absolutely littered with them. Think you just aren’t aware you are playing an enhanced BC title.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Your experience is just your experience. Tons of Xbox players play enhanced BC titles as Game Pass is full of them. Microsoft has said Xbox players have spent over a billion hours playing BC titles so it’s definitely something that is immensely popular.

I have played a ton of enhanced BC games on my Xbox One X, including Ninja Gaiden, the original Assassin’s Creed, both prior gen Batman titles (Asylum and City), Bayonetta, Borderlands 2, Darksiders, etc. I am looking at the list of BC titles and there is well over 30 or 40 I’ve played, almost all on Game Pass.

If you are a Game Pass subscriber, I can almost guarantee you’ve played enhanced BC titles as the catalog is absolutely littered with them. Think you just aren’t aware you are playing an enhanced BC title.

I'm a gamepass subscriber since day 1 and no, I didn't waste my time playing those games I already played on 360.

Besides Ninja Gaiden, all the games you listed have an actual full remaster that came out this gen or a PC version with all the bells and whistles already. You played an inferior version even with an enhanced 360 port.

Enhanced BC ports are not selling me a next-gen Series X. That's just a bullet point you use on forums. Gamepass fodder.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm a gamepass subscriber since day 1 and no, I didn't waste my time playing those games I already played on 360.

Besides Ninja Gaiden, all the games you listed have an actual full remaster that came out this gen or a PC version with all the bells and whistles already. You played an inferior version even with an enhanced 360 port.

Enhanced BC ports are not selling me a next-gen Series X. That's just a bullet point you use on forums.
Sounds like you arent a GP subber from day 1. Here's your post from May 2019 nickel and diming with promo subs.
Same. I've had over 6 months now, all with 1$ promos 1$ for 3, 2$ for 2 etc. I still have a free month whenever it runs out. I have a hard time to believe that service is profitable.

I would never pay full price because if you wait for a sale you can buy most games and own them forever.

bender

What time is it?
Why? It's a remaster of a game that came out 2 years ago. Nobody complained about having to buy The Last of Us Remastered, or any other remaster for that matter.

The only way to obtain this remaster is the deluxe edition of Miles Morales, no?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I am 100% sure, it will be available stand alone in a matter of weeks. At this time they are just selling MM
I don't know about weeks. I'd say next year.

Activision did the exact same thing bundling COD4 Remastered with Infinite Warfare. They denied selling a standalone copy of it. And then next year they did.

bender

What time is it?
I am 100% sure, it will be available stand alone in a matter of weeks. At this time they are just selling MM

Thus the #2. I don't mind paying for an upgraded version, but give people an upgrade path that doesn't force me to buy another game.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Sounds like you arent a GP subber from day 1. Here's your post from May 2019 nickel and diming with promo subs.

Okay and? I subscribed with the promo as soon as it came out like everyone else. I barely played any game so I would only take advantage of the promos until ultimate came out. Now I have it until the end of 2021.

You thought I was saying I was dumb enough to pay for it month to month? I had a 360 with Gold for years. Gamepass is all fodder to me besides Day 1 releases and even then I'm in no hurry to play them.

RCU005

The only way to obtain this remaster is the deluxe edition of Miles Morales, no?

Yes, but I can bet it will be available stand-alone later. Of course they are not going to say it now because they want to sell you Miles Morales.

I guarantee that in Q1 (Q2 max) next year it will be available for everyone.

bender

What time is it?
Yes, but I can bet it will be available stand-alone later. Of course they are not going to say it now because they want to sell you Miles Morales.

I guarantee that in Q1 (Q2 max) next year it will be available for everyone.

Cool. #2

Top Bottom