• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms no free PS5 Upgrade for PS4 Spider-Man Owners

Shit like this is how Sony ensures that multi console owners buy all their third party games on Xbox instead of PS 5. Sony could give a rat’s ass about about providing free support for their own titles. Meanwhile, Microsoft has had their bc team work on automatic upgrades to all BC titles, including 3rd party titles, like enabling HDR. They also had their BC team enhance some third party titles from prior generations.

Couple that with MS’s attitude towards backwards compatibility compared to Sony and Series X being the more powerful machine, why would any multi console owner buy 3rd party titles on PS5 instead of Series X?

Last edited:
Makes sense. If you want the PS5 experience just buy the PS5 game.
Good job not asking more from Sony. You aren’t even a little annoyed that there is a PS5 enhanced version of Spider-Man that Sony can very easily give to PS4 owners of Spider-Man for free, like Microsoft is doing with their titles, but instead is requiring those owners to spend $50 extra to obtain?

Last edited:

kungfuian

I don't see why this is so hard for Sony. All these fans bought your game and want to play the upgraded version without being forced to buy the new game.

If that's what your customers are asking for why not give it to them. The Miles standard edition (just Miles) and deluxe edition (includes Miles and upgraded original) are only a $20 difference.

Sony Could easily charge $10 for the upgrade for existing PS4 game owners ($10 off due to them already buying the original) and people would be much less pissed than to not even offer the upgrade option at all. Sure they would lose out on $10 from some marginal number of customers, but would also gain $10 from some other percent. They could also sell the upgraded Original at $30 stand alone and no one would give a shit.

Their attempts to protect the deluxe edition value/sales is just bad math.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Are we getting a regular boost mode with the PS4 version? I wonder how different it’ll be. I didn’t even finish it. My PS4 broke down while I was near the end about 2 months agoJust put in a new HDD and it fixed it. Probably finish the game tomorrow.

It’s not the type of game I’d play again anyways. MM is good enough.

BootsLoader

Banned
Good job not asking more from Sony. You aren’t even a little annoyed that there is a PS5 enhanced version of Spider-Man that Sony can very easily give to PS4 owners of Spider-Man for free, like Microsoft is doing with their titles, but instead is requiring those owners to spend $50 extra to obtain?
To be honest I’m not annoyed from a business standpoint. As a gamer I know that they’ll change that down the line. So there’s no need to be upset.

Redefine07

I won't give them $ for that soz , I just wait for that game 2-3 years till it be on PS+ and play it then since I did it 100% I have no plan to replay it so soon xD

ZywyPL

Banned
I feel like it's deja vu from CoD4 Remaster all over again, where Activision forced people to buy IW+CoD4R bundle in order to get the game, only to release a standalone version later on anyway, and I feel this is exactly the move Sony wants to make, except as oppose to CoD4R back then we can see an alternative way MS provides with its Smart Delivery, which simply puts Sony in a really bad light, I'm more than sure if MS also followed the same strategy no one would've bat an eye, and people would be even happy they are getting remasters for just 20$ extra.

clintar

To be honest I’m not annoyed from a business standpoint. As a gamer I know that they’ll change that down the line. So there’s no need to be upset.
Didn't they already say going forward, games that come out from July onward will get updated code that works on PS5, and ones before that won't? I guess that doesn't mean the same as getting a full-fledged PS5 version, but seems like they were saying not to expect PS5 versions of games that came out before then.

Shmunter

Didn't they already say going forward, games that come out from July onward will get updated code that works on PS5, and ones before that won't? I guess that doesn't mean the same as getting a full-fledged PS5 version, but seems like they were saying not to expect PS5 versions of games that came out before then.
Yeah, wonder how that July code will pan out.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Shit like this is how Sony ensures that multi console owners buy all their third party games on Xbox instead of PS 5. Sony could give a rat’s ass about about providing free support for their own titles. Meanwhile, Microsoft has had their bc team work on automatic upgrades to all BC titles, including 3rd party titles, like enabling HDR. They also had their BC team enhance some third party titles from prior generations.

Sounds great until you realize you will never use any of this. I've own a xbox one since Day 1 and now a one X. Not even once I started a BC game and most of these games were also available on PC for years with far superior graphics anyway.

I'll gladly pay the 20$ to play a game I actually want to replay. Everyone was fine with paying a fee to play remasters before.

Suddenly, it's this big selling point. I can feel the desperation, like there is nothing else to use.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Their attempts to protect the deluxe edition value/sales is just bad math.
It's not bad math.

Someone at head office surely did the math showing a slew of gamers will pony up for the Ultimate Edition for $70. Milk those gamers for the first 6 months and release a standalone remastered Spidey game in 2021.

Just watch. Let's see how Sony's/Insomniac's "we aren't releasing a standalone copy" holds up in 2021.

Sounds great until you realize you will never use any of this. I've own a xbox one since Day 1 and now a one X. Not even once I started a BC game and most of these games were also available on PC for years with far superior graphics anyway.

I'll gladly pay the 20$ to play a game I actually want to replay. Everyone was fine with paying a fee to play remasters before.

Suddenly, it's this big selling point. I can feel the desperation, like there is nothing else to use.
The problem is: You MUST buy MM to even buy the remaster

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
So if I own Spiderman PS4 and buy standard edition of Spiderman MM on PS5 I can't pay for the PS5 upgrade of the original?
That's fine. I'm not going to buy SMM now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So if I own Spiderman PS4 and buy standard edition of Spiderman MM on PS5 I can't pay for the PS5 upgrade of the original?
That's fine. I'm not going to buy SMM now.
You can play the original PS4 game you have on PS5, but supposedly it is legacy mode. You won't get boosts or anything.

If you want to play the Remastered version which has better textures, ray tracing, more NPCs walking around the city etc.... you either buy MM for $50 and digitally upgrade for $20, or you go straight for the $70 Ultimate Edition.

There is no standalone copy of the remastered version right now.

Last edited:

Umbral

I have Spiderman PS4, I have no interest in replaying it except to check out PS5 upgrades. I won’t actually play it again.

If you’re interested in Miles Morales, then it’s a win all around. If you buy it on PS4, cool, free upgrade to PS5. If you want Spiderman PS5 too, cool, $20 upgrade, or you can buy the Ultimate and you’re set all around on both platforms.

This really only hurts someone who has Spiderman on PS4 and who really wanted to replay it on PS5, which I have to imagine is very few people. If you’re gonna play Miles Morales, where the gameplay is identical apart from Miles’s specific powers and moves, why would you also want to play 50-80 hours of the same game on top of it?

If you’ve not played either game before, then buy the Ultimate Edition and you’re good to go.

I feel like this is mountain out of a mole hill kind of stuff.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have Spiderman PS4, I have no interest in replaying it except to check out PS5 upgrades. I won’t actually play it again.

If you’re interested in Miles Morales, then it’s a win all around. If you buy it on PS4, cool, free upgrade to PS5. If you want Spiderman PS5 too, cool, $20 upgrade, or you can buy the Ultimate and you’re set all around on both platforms.

This really only hurts someone who has Spiderman on PS4 and who really wanted to replay it on PS5, which I have to imagine is very few people. If you’re gonna play Miles Morales, where the gameplay is identical apart from Miles’s specific powers and moves, why would you also want to play 50-80 hours of the same game on top of it?

If you’ve not played either game before, then buy the Ultimate Edition and you’re good to go.

I feel like this is mountain out of a mole hill kind of stuff.
What if someone just wants to play Spiderman Remastered for the first time and doesn't want MM?

Dogman

This thread:

"Oh no! I have to pay money for a remaster of an older game like I have been doing the entire last gen! How dare Sony do that. MS is giving a PC version of Gears 5 for free which took them less than 2 weeks to bring to Xbox because they have no actual first party line up, so why can't Sony give us a free upgrade to a brand new engine with new assets, lighting and textures? Arrogant Sony is back!"

Get a grip guys. Literal children in this forum

Oh my God just get over it. I already finished it twice. 14 million other people bought it as well. It would be nice but man I dont give a fuck if PS5 wont give me the extra assets for my old PS4 version Spiderman. Ill play Miles instead. The fact that this news is getting dragged on for so long is ridiculous.

StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige

Then just buy the PS4 version??? PS5 is backwards compatible. Do you understand that the only thing SONy said is you wont get all the bells and whistles from MM on the older SPiderman unless you pay. they never said you CANT play Spiderman on PS5. The game still looks beautiful and you can find it for $20. Why does it have to be a full on remaster?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oh my God just get over it. I already finished it twice. 14 million other people bought it as well. It would be nice but man I dont give a fuck if PS5 wont give me the extra assets for my old PS4 version Spiderman. Ill play Miles instead. The fact that this news is getting dragged on for so long is ridiculous.

StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige

Then just buy the PS4 version??? PS5 is backwards compatible. Do you understand that the only thing SONy said is you wont get all the bells and whistles from MM on the older SPiderman unless you pay. they never said you CANT play Spiderman on PS5. The game still looks beautiful and you can find it for $20. Why does it have to be a full on remaster?
Nobody ever said you can't play the PS4 game in a PS5.

What some people want to do is play the remaster since Sony is promoting it.

But turns out it's behind the MM paywall.

Many people aren't even complaining that it costs money (the equivalent of $20). They just want to buy a stadalone copy instead of being forced to buy MM with it.

Many people aren't even complaining that it costs money (the equivalent of $20). They just want to buy a stadalone copy instead of being forced to buy MM with it.

I can see Sony selling the Remastered version a year from now. But if gamers want to play it right now, then that's the only way to get it, unfortunately. Sony is right to charge for the Remastered version. There will always be people feeling entitled to free everything. TLOU Remastered wasn't free either. No one works for free, so why should the developers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I can see Sony selling the Remastered version a year from now. But if gamers want to play it right now, then that's the only way to get it, unfortunately. Sony is right to charge for the Remastered version. There will always be people feeling entitled to free everything. TLOU Remastered wasn't free either. No one works for free, so why should the developers.
Reason why some people want it free is because of these kinds of reasons:

1. Spiderman only came out 2 years ago

2. PS5 MM is probably using the same graphics, so applying it to remastered shouldn't be that costly

3. Spiderman sold a ton, so give PS4 copy gamers a break. It's already behind a MM paywall

4. Some games like Witcher 3 and Darksiders gave free remastered downloads, so why not Spiderman?

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
The problem is: You MUST buy MM to even buy the remaster

Ok so you are getting a PS5 but you have no interest in MM, only for the remastered?

Just wait then, it's coming later.

Drop it already. These people don't exist. Anybody getting a PS5 with an interest in Spider-Man will get Miles Morales. You think the remaster is the system seller here? People are getting a PS5 only to play the remastered?

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Drop it already. These people don't exist. Anybody getting a PS5 with an interest in Spider-Man will get Miles Morales. You think the remaster is the system seller here? People are getting a PS5 only to play the remastered?
Umm no actually that's not true. I myself bought Spiderman on sale on PSN six weeks ago and haven't played it at all yet because I've been busy with work.

Last edited by a moderator:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ok so you are getting a PS5 but you have no interest in MM, only for the remastered?

Just wait then, it's coming later.

And I thought Last of Us Remastered on PS4 sold about 10 million copies. And the game wasn't even bargain priced at $20 at launch. It started at $50.

Ok, I get it. You want to defend the paywall.

So explain why Sony was willing to sell LoU Remastered standalone only 1 year after the PS3 game came out, yet for PS4 Remastered it's a forced bundle for a two year old game?

Why not sell it standalone like a LoU Remastered option?

Last edited:

Umbral

What if someone just wants to play Spiderman Remastered for the first time and doesn't want MM?
That’s a fair point. That would suck to have it tied to MM, if you’re completely disinterested in his story.

I would argue that the amount of people who didn’t play it on PS4, but are buying a PS5, and want to only play Peter Parker’s story is very small, though is is not zero. You’re right. It would make sense for them to sell it separately. I imagine they will eventuallym but it’s a additional value and incentive to buy Miles Morales’s game. I would guess that’s the business side.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Umm no actually that's not true. I myself bought Spiderman on sale on PSN six weeks ago and haven't played it at all yet because I've been busy with work.

What's stopping you to get the Ultimate if you never played Spider-Man then? Are you worried you will not like it at all and lose interest in MM or something? You still have 2 months to try it or play it on BC. The version you bought is not lost.

And I thought Last of Us Remastered on PS4 sold about 10 million copies. And the game wasn't even bargain priced at $20 at launch. It started at $50.

So explain why Sony was willing to sell LoU Remastered standalone only 1 year after the PS3 game came out, yet for PS4 Remastered it's a forced bundle for a two year old game?

So you're angry they are making you pay 20$ instead of 49.99$ for a standalone version? Somehow that's better for you because you don't want Miles at all so 50$ each instead.

That’s a fair point. That would suck to have it tied to MM, if you’re completely disinterested in his story.

I would argue that the amount of people who didn’t play it on PS4, but are buying a PS5, and want to only play Peter Parker’s story is very small, though is is not zero. You’re right. It would make sense for them to sell it separately. I imagine they will eventuallym but it’s a additional value and incentive to buy Miles Morales’s game. I would guess that’s the business side.

It's not zero but it's one: StreetsofBeige

Then these "people" can just save money and buy the PS4 version in bargain bins and play it with boost mode. I struggled to sell my copy for 20$ last year.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So you're angry they are making you pay 20$ instead of 49.99$ for a standalone version? Somehow that's better for you because you don't want Miles at all so 50$ each instead.
Not everyone wants Miles Morales.

Paywalling Spiderman Remastered behind a $70 fee is pure greed.

As I said to you before, they made LoU 1 Remastered as a standalone game. They could have done that with Spidey too.

Instead of defending Sony, how about think of why they paywalled in a $70 bundle instead a separate optional purchase for cheaper. Here's a tip. It has to do with $$$.

diffusionx

Gold Member

As I said to you before, they made LoU 1 Remastered as a standalone game. They could have done that with Spidey too.

Instead of defending Sony, how about think of why they paywalled in a $70 bundle instead a separate optional purchase for cheaper. Here's a tip. It has to do with $$$.

The Last of Us also came out in June 2013, less than six months before the PS4 came out. Spiderman came out in late 2018, which is almost two years ago. I think that's the big difference. SM is an old game, they're throwing it into the Miles Morales game as a bonus, not the other way around.

I don't really get the anger over this. The game is old, most PS4 fans have already played it I would think (and spend $60 on it), and I think a $70 Miles Morales with the full original game is a really great value actually.

S0ULZB0URNE

Kotaku reached out to Sony about this. Games journalism actually doing some work. GoW next please.

I feel like this is all on marketing. It seems like this isnt a straight 4k 60 fps port of spiderman. They are overhauling graphics with new character models, better hair, new texutres for buildings, ray tracing, and a bunch of other stuff that will also be in Miles. I am perfectly fine with this being a $20 new SKU.

However, there are a lot of issues with how Sony has gone about marketing this:

1) We havent seen any footage, no one really knows what this remaster looks like.
2) There is no separate SKU. You have to buy the $70 spiderman MM version to be able to play this.
3) We dont know what upgrades current gen versions are getting on PS5. Is the PS5 boost mode going to enable 4k 60 fps via BC?
4) We also dont know if Insomniac intends to release a PS5 patch for the existing PS4 version of the game in case PS5 boost mode isnt anything special.

There are so many dumb moves here by Sony its mind boggling to think that their most popular exclusive of current gen is being treated this way. Had Sony announced PS5 patches for TLOU2, Ghosts and other pS4 exclusives, this wouldnt be as big of a deal.
This is a "Forget The Gamers" move.

kingwingin

more to do with moving copies of miles morales and to help it from flopping compared to spiderman ps4.

If it was money they were after we would see this day one on disv for $70

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The Last of Us also came out in June 2013, less than six months before the PS4 came out. Spiderman came out in late 2018, which is almost two years ago. I think that's the big difference. SM is an old game, they're throwing it into the Miles Morales game as a bonus, not the other way around.

I don't really get the anger over this. The game is old, most PS4 fans have already played it I would think (and spend $60 on it), and I think a $70 Miles Morales with the full original game is a really great value actually.
It's not a bonus throw in.

You can get Miles Morales for $50 straight up.

Dthomp

It's just a simple guess on my end, but who's to say it won't be up on the network for standalone purchase day 1 of PS5? Or have they said otherwise? Cause as of now, nothing is listed on the playstation store that I've seen that is PS5 only to be purchased.

Feel like folks are definitely making more of this due to console fanboy wars then any actual reasoning. I'm buying the UE bundle because I loved Spiderman PS4 and platinumed it 2 years ago, I'm not owed anything from something I bought years ago, and I want Miles Morales, the inclusion of this remaster gives me an additional title that can kill another 40 hours that I'm going to need since launch lineup is weak on all sides.

Loxus

2 years old games don't need a "RE-MASTER".

Retroactively adding some features that they developed as part of Miles Morales effort, doesn't make this a "RE-MASTER".
TLOU got a Remastered released a year after, so i don't get you.
Insomniac already stated what they did to the Remaster on Twitter.
Better textures, assets, more pedestrians, etc.

TLOU got a Remastered released a year after, so i don't get you.
Insomniac already stated what they did to the Remaster on Twitter.
Better textures, assets, more pedestrians, etc.
Word is cheap... how about some in game graphic and footage to show us if the jump is THAT big. Better yet, have a vanilla spiderman running on ps5 and having remaster run side by side to prove to us original spiderman buyer the upgrade is worthwhile.

Roufianos

This thread:

"Oh no! I have to pay money for a remaster of an older game like I have been doing the entire last gen! How dare Sony do that. MS is giving a PC version of Gears 5 for free which took them less than 2 weeks to bring to Xbox because they have no actual first party line up, so why can't Sony give us a free upgrade to a brand new engine with new assets, lighting and textures? Arrogant Sony is back!"

Get a grip guys. Literal children in this forum

Free Next-Gen upgrades are being offered by most publishers, not MS. Are you really surprised that people expect Sony to adhere to something that's becoming an industry standard?

Dogman

Free Next-Gen upgrades are being offered by most publishers, not MS. Are you really surprised that people expect Sony to adhere to something that's becoming an industry standard?
So suddenly there's a narrative that Sony isn't offering free next gen upgrades 😂 last I checked, Miles Morales and Horizon 2 both had free next gen upgrades.

The Spiderman remaster is exactly that, a remaster. New engine, assets and workflow, which is why they charge for it.

Loxus

Word is cheap... how about some in game graphic and footage to show us if the jump is THAT big. Better yet, have a vanilla spiderman running on ps5 and having remaster run side by side to prove to us original spiderman buyer the upgrade is worthwhile.
Has a PlayStation Exclusive ever disappoint?
Has Spiderman MM gameplay disappoint??
Every single time PlayStation is about to release an Exclusive, it's always some kind of doom and loom till we see gameplay.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Look up, like literally, 4 posts above yours...
mZDoDby.gif

Top Bottom