• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms no free PS5 Upgrade for PS4 Spider-Man Owners

TimFL

All this effort to upgrade the engine was a part of development process of "Miles Morales" spin-off.

It cost them close to nothing to port it over to the base game. Why not reward your loyal customers and offer it for free?
Found the armchair developer in this topic :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm perfectly fine with having to pay for a full blown remaster that adds next gen assets (including the next gen Peter Parker we'll see in Spidey 2), ray tracing, improved performance and higher fidelity in terms of NPCs/vehicles. That's a proper upgrade that surely is worth the $20 price tag.

What I'm not okay with is them trojan horsing the remaster into the Ultimate Edition instead of offering it as a standalone. I figure they would've sold a near infinite amount of the remaster alone if they just released it full price / Spidey PS4 price for PS5 users AND simultaneously added a discount to $20 (or heck even $30 if you really want to push Miles out of the gate) for players that have Spidey PS4 on their account.

That way you also lure in the folks that don't want to get the Miles game and feel cheated by the fact that you need the Ultimate Edition to get a "true" PS5 version of the Spidey game.

TLDR / better solution IMHO:
- Spider-Man Remaster PS5 SKU with included PS4 version (buy 1 get 2) for the PS4 version price in the store (for completely new people who only want the PS5 Remaster and don't own the PS4 one yet)
- Upgrade Bundle for people owning the PS4 version for $20/$30 (so Sony gets $10 more, cause greed you know)
- PS5 Remaster for "effectively $20" if you buy the Miles ultimate version

- Pray some poor soul buys the PS5 remaster standalone and then later on decides to get Miles for $59, so you get $10 more than if they were smart enough to buy the Ultimate bundle

MrLove

Banned
pathetic, lets see how much its actually improved. games like gears5 and horizon 4 are also getting substantial improvements but its for free

whats worse is you cant even buy it separately lol whats that about, just make it digital only.
Gears and FH is mini upgrade.

They just took the assets from pc version, almost no development time

Dont compare this low effort with Spider-Man

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Kotaku reached out to Sony about this. Games journalism actually doing some work. GoW next please.

I feel like this is all on marketing. It seems like this isnt a straight 4k 60 fps port of spiderman. They are overhauling graphics with new character models, better hair, new texutres for buildings, ray tracing, and a bunch of other stuff that will also be in Miles. I am perfectly fine with this being a $20 new SKU.

However, there are a lot of issues with how Sony has gone about marketing this:

1) We havent seen any footage, no one really knows what this remaster looks like.
2) There is no separate SKU. You have to buy the $70 spiderman MM version to be able to play this.
3) We dont know what upgrades current gen versions are getting on PS5. Is the PS5 boost mode going to enable 4k 60 fps via BC?
4) We also dont know if Insomniac intends to release a PS5 patch for the existing PS4 version of the game in case PS5 boost mode isnt anything special.

There are so many dumb moves here by Sony its mind boggling to think that their most popular exclusive of current gen is being treated this way. Had Sony announced PS5 patches for TLOU2, Ghosts and other pS4 exclusives, this wouldnt be as big of a deal.

This is totally because Sony is talking about ANYTHING right now. It's a stupid strategy by them, but that's the choice Jim has made.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
A shame that i have purchased the game in the PS Store like 6 months ago, but haven't had any time for this game yet. Hopefully they offer some upgrade path for existing users and i don't mind to pay like 10/15 euros for it, and buy Miles Morales stand alone later this year.

Falc67

Kotaku reached out to Sony about this. Games journalism actually doing some work. GoW next please.

I feel like this is all on marketing. It seems like this isnt a straight 4k 60 fps port of spiderman. They are overhauling graphics with new character models, better hair, new texutres for buildings, ray tracing, and a bunch of other stuff that will also be in Miles. I am perfectly fine with this being a $20 new SKU.

1) We havent seen any footage, no one really knows what this remaster looks like.
2) There is no separate SKU. You have to buy the $70 spiderman MM version to be able to play this.
3) We dont know what upgrades current gen versions are getting on PS5. Is the PS5 boost mode going to enable 4k 60 fps via BC?
4) We also dont know if Insomniac intends to release a PS5 patch for the existing PS4 version of the game in case PS5 boost mode isnt anything special.

There are so many dumb moves here by Sony its mind boggling to think that their most popular exclusive of current gen is being treated this way. Had Sony announced PS5 patches for TLOU2, Ghosts and other pS4 exclusives, this wouldnt be as big of a deal.

This has all already been confirmed since they mentioned it. It sort of goes without saying that it will look like Miles Morales; However, I simply can’t spend money on something without seeing a trailer at minimum.

Redlancet

Banned
It's free, with more substantial upgrades than Spider Man, and they're showing off comparison shots now.

100 fps, improved textures, PC ultra settings, volumetric fog and particle increase, faster load times.

Yes, i still remember when microsoft gift us gears of war remaster to the Xbox 360 versión buyers.. Oh Wait

Btw more sustancial? Lets Wait no one have seen that remaster to say that

Last edited:
What a fucking joke. MS are doing it right.

and an extra fucking LOL for people defending this
It just dawned on me why this all sounds so familiar. Check this out.

Will pay a premium for weaker hardware because they like the exclusives

Will defend their company of choice making them rebuy their previous gen games again on a new system

Graphic quality doesn't mean anything to them

Are ok with inferior online ecosystem and services

Who am I talking about here? Nintendo fans during the Gamecube, Wii, and WiiU Era, or Sony fans now at PS5 launch?

If there was one thing MS and Sony fans could agree on before is the hard-core Nintendo faithful were a little weird. And now the Sony fan base has turned into them.

Fucking L. O. L. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Senua

They've commented on why.

aww those poor babies, this is totally the reason why and not because Sony says so.

tenor.gif

LOLCats

Banned
i thought they they confirm this like last week or something but I guess it doesn't really matter

yeah it's kind of a dick move I don't understand how they didnt think it would be received otherwise.

wouldn't be surprised to see it be part of PS plus within the first six months of PS5 release though, But that might piss the people that bought it off LOL... see sony, you screwed up

Last edited:

Thabass

Sony is ignoring all the good things that MS is doing.... That's scary.

That's because Sony doesn't NEED to do with Microsoft is doing. They've built up enough consumer trust and accolades that they can pretty much do what they want. It's kind of like how XBOX was before the current generation. They got cocky and are now playing catch up.

That doesn't mean Sony won't do good things in the future, but I'd wouldn't say Sony is stumbling out the gate. I think they're just confident in their approach and I'm sure as hell not see any reason why Sony should reverse course right now.

That's because Sony doesn't NEED to do with Microsoft is doing. They've built up enough consumer trust and accolades that they can pretty much do what they want. It's kind of like how XBOX was before the current generation. They got cocky and are now playing catch up.

That doesn't mean Sony won't do good things in the future, but I'd wouldn't say Sony is stumbling out the gate. I think they're just confident in their approach and I'm sure as hell not see any reason why Sony should reverse course right now.

They kind of do need to. Game Pass is gonna destroy them and the Playstation is no longer the console for multiplats. All they have are their exclusives which don't even approach the sales of popular multiplat titles.

Leyasu

Banned
That's because Sony doesn't NEED to do with Microsoft is doing. They've built up enough FANBOYS that will fight hard for them they can pretty much do what they want. It's kind of like how XBOX was before the current generation. They got cocky and are now playing catch up.

Fixed it for you

Aion002

That's why this is scary.

Last time that Sony didn't pay attention to the competition the Ps3 was released....

I rather have the Sony from the early Ps4 than the early PS3 one.

Last edited:

See this is what I'm talking about.

Replace the word Sony with Nintendo in here and it reads like any random Nintendo fan rationale for the last 15 years. Excuses, excuses. Sad.

What's mind boggling is that people like you just dont wait for a few days, after launch for impressions instead would rather complain about what ifs now. The game isn't some kind of scarce resource that you will miss out on if you wait.

MaulerX

Makes perfect business sense for Sony. They just don't have the deep pockets and can't afford to have their devs working on upgrades and offer them for free like MS does.

Last edited:
Give me a Ghost of Tsushima upgrade.

Also : Reminder Xbox owners are getting a Forza Horzion upgrade... A game that was released the Christmas before the last one.

Give me a break, Sony.
And Gears 5, and Ori 2, and probably many other like Halo MCC ect to take advantage of the new hardware.

Kokoloko85

Just tell me what upgrades we’ll get with the free boost mode.
Will suck if there are none lol.
There was meant to be Top 100 played PS4 games To get a boost mode.....

Valonquar

So what Sony is saying is, if you own it on PS4, don't bother buying it again until deep price cut or PS+ freebie in 2 years?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What's mind boggling is that people like you just dont wait for a few days, after launch for impressions instead would rather complain about what ifs now. The game isn't some kind of scarce resource that you will miss out on if you wait.
there is no what ifs. they literally just said that its not getting a standalone increase.

Do we now have your permission to discuss this news?

IDappa

I totally understand this, if it were a new game and had just come out yeah offer a free upgrade but it's a 2 year old game that got a ton of work, we got what we paid for 2 years ago and asking $20 for an upgraded version is totally fine, it's not like you can't play the version you already own through BC. It's also a licensed character so I'm sure that Marvel wants a cut as well.
Witcher 3 is getting a free next gen patch and cyberpunk also..

If Sony wanted to still charge for it they could of provided a proper upgrade path instead they want to charge their dedicated fans for something other 3rd parties aren't

there is no what ifs. they literally just said that its not getting a standalone increase.

Do we now have your permission to discuss this news?

These aren't what if's that you're complaining about?

CrysisFreak

Banned
Give me a Ghost of Tsushima upgrade.

Also : Reminder Xbox owners are getting a Forza Horzion upgrade... A game that was released the Christmas before the last one.

Give me a break, Sony.
They're not getting a new Series X version of FH4 really. They get already existing FH4 at higher resolution and framerate with some graphics settings turned up, that's it.
No new assets like Spiderman Remastered and therefore not comparable, there you go.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
And much of that work wasn't already being done for Miles Morales? They are in the same city. There is a reason MM isn't a full priced game.

You don't know how much overlap there is. Just because they are set in the same city doesn't mean much, you think every interior, set-piece, every boss encounter is getting duplicated in MM? Then there's the not inconsiderable work that the whole game needs its data to be rebuilt in order not to bloat out its size to a ridiculous degree, and then it still needs a full QA and cert pass to confirm nothing has been broken in the process.

This is not a small amount of work if you honestly think about it.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gears and FH is mini upgrade.

They just took the assets from pc version, almost no development time

Dont compare this low effort with Spider-Man

This is nonsense, why are you guys reading "updated assets" as "new/reworked" assets?
You say they just took the assets from the pc version for gears, but that's not how it works, or do you believe game art is made in the resolution that's in the game?
Much higher res assets already exist, and since pc is highly scalable, they probably put the most detailed assets in the pc version.
Likewise, updated assets in most cases just mean the high res assets that already exist, because someone had to make them for scaling, but weren't used for the game.
Anything that's actually a new asset in the game, is probably something they had to make for the Miles Morales component anyway. The updated tech like raytracing is part of the engine update for Miles Morales as well, unless you believe they are somehow working on two different engines, with two different but also the same feature sets at the same time...

Sounds to me like they updated the engine for Miles Morales, replaced/added all the new assets made for Miles Morales to the base game and then updated the rest of the base game assets with higher resolution ones that were already sitting on a harddrive somewhere.
Not saying it has to be free (but it would be nice since above outlined effort could be done by 5 people in a week), they instead decide to lock the only way of getting it, behind the most expensive version of Miles Morales...that's a dick move straight up.

Thabass

They kind of do need to. Game Pass is gonna destroy them and the Playstation is no longer the console for multiplats. All they have are their exclusives which don't even approach the sales of popular multiplat titles.

Do they though and will Game Pass destroy them? I'm not trying toot Sony's horn here, but their games sold likes hot cakes this generation. I don't think they need to do anything. At least not right now. The PlayStation Plus collection is partly a way to compete and I'm sure that will appease most Sony fans.

Fixed it for you

Haha, touche. Though, what I said isn't wrong.

That's why this is scary.

Last time that Sony didn't pay attention to the competition the Ps3 was released....

I rather have the Sony from the early Ps4 than the early PS3 one.

I seriously doubt Sony will get to THOSE levels again, but to say arrogant Sony isn't back, is a bit ignorant if you've been paying attention.

See this is what I'm talking about.

Replace the word Sony with Nintendo in here and it reads like any random Nintendo fan rationale for the last 15 years. Excuses, excuses. Sad.

Not sure if you're calling me a fanboy or not. I pre-ordered both consoles and have Switch and PC. I go where the games are...which is everywhere. Give me a good game, and I'll play the shit out of it. Regardless of console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom