• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms no free PS5 Upgrade for PS4 Spider-Man Owners

iorek21

Maybe this has something to do with Marvel/Disney?

Anyway, if Sony wants me to buy this upgrade, then they better prove me why should I buy it.

Give me some comparisons ASAP

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
OZlhsxr.gif

AokhsZf.gif

Arun1910

An understandable stance, but it definitely looks silly when games like Gears of War 5 are getting free next-gen upgrades on Series S and X.

But isn't the Gears upgrade just higher frame rate, higher texture res, volumetric fog and contact shadows (I am also pretty sure this was all available on the PC version I played so it seems like a very quick upgrade for consoles) ?

Spider-Man's Remaster seems to be doing more than an up-res

"The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game’s art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console’s horsepower. You’ll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation, including our new, next-generation Peter Parker. You’ll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles + draw distance".

The fact that they have new art assets, new models for characters and ray tracing makes this seem like a lot more effort has been put in.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Wait that’s worded weird it reads like the only way to upgrade is to buy MM then you can pay to upgrade?

LordCBH

No standalone version of it is dumb as fuck. They could charge $40 for the standalone and a ton would probably buy it.

Dibils2k

pathetic, lets see how much its actually improved. games like gears5 and horizon 4 are also getting substantial improvements but its for free

whats worse is you cant even buy it separately lol whats that about, just make it digital only.

VulcanRaven

So there won't even be a paid upgrade? You need to buy the Deluxe Edition full price even if you own the PS4 version.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Wait that’s worded weird it reads like the only way to upgrade is to buy MM then you can pay to upgrade?

Yes. You can’t buy it separately or upgrade from your PS4 version even with a fee. Simply and stupidly if you want the remaster then you have to buy MM.

VulcanRaven

I really hope they don't do this with TLOU2. The game was released not long ago so it would be really stupid if people had to buy it again.

Edit: I'm would be ok if the next-gen patch costs like 10 dollars. I don't expect it to be free.

Last edited:

dEvAnGeL

There will be a stand-alone version for $20 and an upgrade path for $10, you can bet you ps5 on it. I won't cause I'm buying the ultimate edition.

My stance on this is that if you only owned the base game on PS4 then you should NOT get the remaster as it has content that you never paid for. If you owned the game and season pass it should've been free. Sony is basically pulling a Nintendo move here though where they know people will buy it anyway so why bother giving it for free.

Also, I see a lot of people complaining that they can't buy this standalone. Why? You're a Spider-Man fan but you had no interest in getting Miles Morales and just want the option to buy a remaster instead? Doesn't make sense to me.

FranXico

Incompetent fucks. At least show us a damn comparison video 1,5 months before release to justify the $20... How could they fall so much since 2013?
But there is no $20 upgrade. Either you buy MM for $50 on PS4 first to be able to get the remaster, or you get nothing.

Dr Bass

I bought Spider-Man PS4. I would never expect a free upgrade to a new version. That stuff takes a lot of work and it seems to basically be an add-on to the MM version. And yet, I could still play my original PS4 game on the PS5 when I got one. All of this faux outrage is silly. No one is entitled to the results of a lot of work, for free.

Was the Last of Us remaster free?

Last edited:

Sethbacca

An understandable stance, but it definitely looks silly when games like Gears of War 5 are getting free next-gen upgrades on Series S and X.

It's a valid business move and it's their prerogative to charge whatever they feel is worthwhile or bundle it with whatever they think they can get away with. But it only comes off making your competition look like a better alternative.

MS is in a position where they need to do this for free because literally all they've got at this point are old games and AAs at the moment. It will be better down the road now obviously but 95% of the reason to get a series x as of this moment is to play old games better.

FranXico

pathetic, lets see how much its actually improved. games like gears5 and horizon 4 are also getting substantial improvements but its for free
Not reworked assets or ray-tracing, though. Not saying this is ok, because it's fucking bullshit, but the two things are not comparable.

Grinchy

Banned
It would have been nice if every PS4 copy got some free enhancements day 1 for PS5 buyers, but I guess Sony's just not in a position where they have to give content away for free to get eyeballs to look their way.

makaveli60

T
But there is no $20 upgrade. Either you buy MM for $50 on PS4 first to be able to get the remaster, or you get nothing.
Then I misunderstood something. I thought OP said if you have OG Spiderman PS4 for $20 you can upgrade it to the PS5 version. Anyway, for the 100th time... this new management is a joke. I was afraid when I saw the big names leaving but I never expected such a shitshow like the one the new management does.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Can’t say I like this at all. I bought Spider-Man at launch and loved it. If I wanted to pay for the upgrade and Miles Morales I should get a slight discount, say $60 or £ equivalent for me.

it turns me off buying Miles Morales as a whole as I feel like I’m being penalised for purchasing Spider-Man years ago. I know I’m not and I got my money’s worth etc. But it still doesn’t feel right to me, I hope we don’t see this as a common practice and if the game looks night and day different and plays differently then it could be worth it. Is the DLC included as I bought that but haven’t played it yet.

Sony should step up it's game.

I'm not interested in replaying Spiderman with better graphics and 60 fps. But I would have wanted to try it out and get some enjoyment out of new hardware.

I don't think we'll be getting free Bloodborne 4k60 update and that is bullshit.

Keihart

So Miles gets upgraded for free but not Spiderman? makes sense, the base game it's a couple of years old.
This puts a precedent to that cross gen tittles get the cross gen treatment indeed.

Well the remastered edition comes with all the DLC.

So if we think it should be seperate from Miles Morales, does that mean we can stop writing Miles Morales off as "just DLC"?

😉

The fact that they have new art assets, new models for characters and ray tracing makes this seem like a lot more effort has been put in.

All this effort to upgrade the engine was a part of development process of "Miles Morales" spin-off.

It cost them close to nothing to port it over to the base game. Why not reward your loyal customers and offer it for free?

4dx2.gif

With the amount of work that is being put into the remaster I can understand Sony's stance. I'm not bothered by this because I missed out on all the DLC, and am looking forward to it along with the new content that is being added (people seem to forget there will new content too). As a gesture of goodwill Sony could knock off a little money from the price for those who purchased Spider-Man on PS4 I guess.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
T

Then I misunderstood something. I thought OP said if you have OG Spiderman PS4 for $20 you can upgrade it to the PS5 version. Anyway, for the 100th time... this new management is a joke. I was afraid when I saw the big names leaving but I never expected such a shitshow like the one the new management does.

If you have the PS4 version of MM you can upgrade for $20 I believe is the word.

Nvzman

Think it's safe to assume that right now, most people who want SM Remastered also want Miles Morales.

I imagine it will eventually get its own SKU, like Modern Warfare Remastered eventually did.
Yea its pretty logical to assume at this point, I have no idea why 75% of GAF are foaming at the mouth with all this in rage. I used to think "gamers are pretty entitled" was silly, but in the past month or two yall are really acting ungodly demanding. Just because Microsoft is trying to kiss ass for attempting to royally fuck consumers over last gen doesn't mean Sony has to do the same thing. I personally have no interest in Miles, so I'll just wait until Spider-man remastered comes out stand alone. It'll happen eventually for sure.

I mean hey, at least we can all agree to be glad Sony isn't pulling a nintendo and just re-listing Spider-Man PS4 for $60 standalone for PS5 lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom