• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms it will sell PlayStation 5 direct to consumers via PlayStation Direct in Europe

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The company’s US arm launched PlayStation Direct to sell consoles, games and accessories direct to consumers in September 2019.

A job advert posted last December suggested SIE was seeking to “build on the successful launch” in the US by bringing the store to Europe – a plan it confirmed during an investor relations event on Thursday.

During Sony’s current business year (FY21) ending in March 2022, the company intends to launch PlayStation Direct in Germany, the UK, Ireland, France, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg.

PlayStation-Direct-Europe-rollout.jpg

“PlayStation Direct has achieved significant revenue in the US market within little more than a year of starting operations,” SIE president and CEO Jim Ryan said during a presentation.

“We plan for 300 percent further growth within this fiscal year, helped by our upcoming launch in Europe.”

In a presentation slide, Sony said PlayStation Direct generated over $5 million in FY19, over $200 million in FY20, and is expected to bring in over $600 million during the current business year.

Klik

Cool. I hope everyone who wants to buy PS5 would be able to get it soon.

I got really lucky and manage to get one on day of release,probably played about 400hours till now, its really an impressive console.

MilkLizard

Luxembourg? Not used being in a first wave of anything so this is a pleasant surprise. Maybe I can finally buy a PS5 soon without too much trouble?

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Hope this means just better stock overall for all regions that have PS Direct.

Their queue system is fine as long as you get an early heads up. Got line up for the queue before the queue actually starts, lol. The earlier you know, the better your chances.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Thank GIF

Should have happened months ago. MSFT, Sony, Nintendo all need to do direct to consumer sales. The GPU market is nearly dead due to bots snatching up every lot popping up across amazon, tigerdirect, Newegg, etc. Still can't get a 30xx series card and I've been trying for months.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Of course, can't deny Nordisk Film their god-given right to jack up console prices to ridiculous levels and pocket the difference (Sony has no console distribution of their own in the Nordics).
It sucks. I’ve seriously never experienced anything like this in 35+ years as a gamer. A friend got one sent directly from Sony when buying a Sony phone but the closest I’ve got to a PS5 at a retailer is this AR thing at Elgiganten 😞

I saw some investor slides showing something that could be a Bravia X PS5 bundle. I could see myself upgrade the TV soon so maybe that’s one entry point.

Mithos

Of course, can't deny Nordisk Film their god-given right to jack up console prices to ridiculous levels and pocket the difference (Sony has no console distribution of their own in the Nordics).
Indeed...

Checks retail prices...
PS5 at 5990SEK (us$725 or € 593)
PS5 DE at 4990SEK (us$605 or €493)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony been through this before with PS4 pro, PS5 is more sophisticated and Sony misjudged demand.

GuinGuin

Banned
Sony been through this before with PS4 pro, PS5 is more sophisticated and Sony misjudged demand.

They didn't misjudge demand. They made more than they made PS4s in the same time frame with a pandemic and chip shortage going on. It's just a must have item for any fan of video games. They were never going to have enough for everyone.

Toots

Gold Member
Jim Ryan if you read this thread i need my playstation direct email asap so i can buy a ps5
The ps4pro isn't gonna hold much longer with the summer temperatures so get on with it!!

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
How will they stop the scalping?
I really hope that it is not just about the increase of profit but that they also have some serious plans to intervene in terms of scalping.
How many people could already have a PS5 if this wouldn't happen?

AlexxKidd

This is how I got my PS5 day one, folks. When people who went with Amazon and Walmart, etc. preorders were having their orders canceled after the fact or not sure whether those stores would have the inventory they claimed, everyone who got in on PSDirect's preorders knew 100 percent they were taken care of. This store is the truth.

Paasei

So maybe then I can finally preorder one and also without some trash I don't want like chargers and a shitty headset.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, retail is going down But to be fair. If Sonys plan works and it only sells to legit customers and managers to dodge scalpers then good on them.
Retailers have had more than enough chances to fix this shit and it doesn’t look like they’ve managed it.

TLZ

Banned
Yeah, retail is going down But to be fair. If Sonys plan works and it only sells to legit customers and managers to dodge scalpers then good on them.
Retailers have had more than enough chances to fix this shit and it doesn’t look like they’ve managed it.
Don't forget many of these retail workers keep the consoles to scalp too.

Tschumi

I am all for any attempts to undermine scalping. If I could actually get a PS5 direct it would only cost the price of selling all my previous consoles, which I'd do.

Duchess

The future of console sales. Retail is even deader than dead.
Yep. Gamers will be buying their consoles directly from Sony and also buying digital titles from PSN, so footfall to dedicated gaming stores will drop.

There will also be those would will be selling second hand machines to places such as CEX, though. My local branch has you covered if you're in desperate want of a PS5 or XSX this Christmas ...
0SuaWWd.jpg

CHKKXyD.jpg

yurinka

Playstation is pushing local development in several countries including Spain.

Sadly it isn't very effective because they only market them/put them on PS Plus there and not sure if in one or two nearby small countries.

I'd do this initiative in 12 countries and every year I'd support 4 of these small indie games from each country. Then I'd to put them on PS Plus globally (not only in a single country as they do now): each month would publish the indies from a different country.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Yep. Gamers will be buying their consoles directly from Sony and also buying digital titles from PSN, so footfall to dedicated gaming stores will drop.

There will also be those would will be selling second hand machines to places such as CEX, though. My local branch has you covered if you're in desperate want of a PS5 or XSX this Christmas ...
0SuaWWd.jpg

CHKKXyD.jpg
CEX are such shit heads. Those PS5's were around £620 three weeks ago, they bump them up the closer to christmas they get. They also pull utter arsehole game scams too. New call of Duty? Oh they'll charge full whack! Ask them why they charge full whack, they'll say 'due to stock'

You look online and the stocks at 1.2456 milllion

They're money grubbing arseholes. And why are most of the staff utterly retarded? Our local one just seems like the down and out employment centre. And whats with the 10am opening times? lazy bastards

Bloody shop.

Sophist

No more intermediate between the buyer and the manufacturer is going to get more and more common, not only for tech but also for food. Hypermarkets are going to suffer.

I really had no clue there wasn’t a PS Direct in Europe…wow and they’ve been kind of dominating there this past year

I have to imagine most people aren’t even walking into these game and electronic stores thinking they will get a PlayStation 5 or Series x at this point, almost no point to go to game stores.

Last edited:
I mean...retailers had lots of chances to figure out a way to sell these to actual customers and did nothing...it was a matter of time really.

I really had no clue there wasn’t a PS Direct in Europe…wow and they’ve been kind of dominating there this past year

I have to imagine most people aren’t even walking into these game and electronic stores thinking they will get a PlayStation 5 or Series x at this point, almost no point to go to game stores.
In the Netherlands we don't have game stores anymore, the last one called gamemania became a webshop. Was kinda sad. The end of an era.

The stores would help themselves if they provided some customer service.

My local game no longer has a customer phoneline. When I visited they said I could not preorder a ps5. Just keep coming back each day like I don't have a job / life.

Well, fuck them then. Making me spend time / money to flip me the bird in the hope I will buy an overpriced mug isn't appreciated.

They have withdrawn from servicing the customer, time we withdraw our transactions. Direct stores are the future.

TLZ

Banned
Ebgames in Australia are taking pre-orders for PS5 and XSX in store only. I don't know if GameStop/ebgames in your countries are doing the same?

gela94

ARRGGHHH I just got an invite for buying a ps5 and when finalizing it it loaded and loaded and loaded .. well sony get your shit together couldn't even try a different browser or computer just in case

Top Bottom