• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms $69.99 price for first-party PS5 games

TheGejsza

In Poland PS4 games were already considered very expensive (most people in my country earn around $500 a month). I think now with 70-80 euro price point for games even PS fans will think twice before buying PS games.

I was 100% sure I will buy PS5. But with those games prices I will not. I got my money ready for PS5 and I even expected way higher price for the console itself. But If we don't get regional pricing I am out. 350 PLN is way too much. 260 was already a lot for me... I mean Polish market for PS5 might just... end. It is weird because they put a lot of effort to localize games in Poland. But I can't imagin casual parents would buy PS5 for their kids and dish out 350 PLN for games. This decision is retarded because the only reason PS is popular in our country is thanks to PS1 illegal copies. My parents could affort to buy me a few games from illegal sources for 20PLN and now I am PlayStation-guy. Russian market is the same - they got way lower prices because if they would be higher they would not sell a lot of consoles.

Also I can't imagine to buy a game for my casual wife that plays mostly few hours in single title and (in the near future) kids.

This single pricing decision killed PS5 for me for now. 80 euro is impossible in Poland. Many parnets and casuals will just go xBox and gamepass. I even takled with my hardcore gamers friends and after seeing the price of DeS and sony exclusives all of them stoped even thinking about PS5 - and those people are not poor or something. They just can't justify paying so much for a single game. Sad.

I am also thinking that Sony is milking players as much as they can - they know that those 10 milions consoles will sold out like hot cakes and people will be hyped to play next-gen games so they are pushing prices sky-high and might lower the price later but for many people it will be too late. My two friends were planing to buy PS5 for their kids on christmas but after seeing game prices they will go xbox with game-pass and won't buy another console in a few years. I think this is a big fuck-up for Sony, most of "third-world-europe" will just go for xbox.

Raphael

I was 100% sure I will buy PS5. But with those games prices I will not. I got my money ready for PS5 and I even expected way higher price for the console itself. But If we don't get regional pricing I am out. 350 PLN is way too much. 260 was already a lot for me... I mean Polish market for PS5 might just... end. It is weird because they put a lot of effort to localize games in Poland. But I can't imagin casual parents would buy PS5 for their kids and dish out 350 PLN for games. This decision is retarded because the only reason PS is popular in our country is thanks to PS1 illegal copies. My parents could affort to buy me a few games from illegal sources for 20PLN and now I am PlayStation-guy. Russian market is the same - they got way lower prices because if they would be higher they would not sell a lot of consoles.

Also I can't imagine to buy a game for my casual wife that plays mostly few hours in single title and (in the near future) kids.

This single pricing decision killed PS5 for me for now. 80 euro is impossible in Poland. Many parnets and casuals will just go xBox and gamepass. I even takled with my hardcore gamers friends and after seeing the price of DeS and sony exclusives all of them stoped even thinking about PS5 - and those people are not poor or something. They just can't justify paying so much for a single game. Sad.

I am also thinking that Sony is milking players as much as they can - they know that those 10 milions consoles will sold out like hot cakes and people will be hyped to play next-gen games so they are pushing prices sky-high and might lower the price later but for many people it will be too late. My two friends were planing to buy PS5 for their kids on christmas but after seeing game prices they will go xbox with game-pass and won't buy another console in a few years. I think this is a big fuck-up for Sony, most of "third-world-europe" will just go for xbox.
Yep, fully agreed. I was decided on a ps5 but will buy an Xbox now. Not that i cant afford it, but the sheer arrogance of sony feels like a spit in the face. Especially when MS provides You with so much value. Its the cocky ps3 sony back again and i hope mass customers will make them turn things around and offer more pro-customers startegies again.

I see parents looking at a 2500 PLN purchase with a big library of games for a few months, or more than that for just 1 game and i know what they Will choose. Especially if a house hold has just a 1080p tvs, xss will be a bargain and a no brainer.

Sony will win the hardcore crowd, but the mass market might be close this time around.

My theory is sony wanted 600e consoles and were hoping Xbox will be that as well, as the PS5 ssd is that expensive. Instead they decided to price match the console for marketing purposes but increased the game prices to make up for the loss at last minute. Hence why 3rd parties havent price matched, but will do soon.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned

350pln is one thing. PS4 games launch price is 250-270. That's more than 80pln difference. 20 fucking us dollars more

Roufianos

In the UK it seems that ubisoft games are between £5-£10 more expensive for ps5 compared with xbsex

wtf? And how/why some people are defending price increases by big corporate companies that are profitable?

The absolute state of this industry. Some niche Japanese game has some 'problematic' content and everybody's up in arms but Sony does this and there's almost no backlash.

Honestly, if I have to pay £10 more for Fifa, Watch Dogs, COD and Ass Creed, I'm just gonna get an XSX.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
350pln is one thing. PS4 games launch price is 250-270. That's more than 80pln difference. 20 fucking us dollars more
Same as Brasil reais. So we gonna have:
US $70
Europe $80
Canada $90
Australia $125
Brasil R$350
Polony(?) $350

Last edited:

sainraja

I think you guys are over-reacting and I know overseas the prices seem to vary so someone else might have to check that out but I compared the pricing here in the states and Xbox SS/X games are also $69.99. The games that are $59.99 on the Xbox are also $59.99 on the PS5.

Here is a quick comparison for those who are lazy:

I know, I know, the quality isn't the greatest!

Last edited:
The reactions are way overblown here!First of all big stores sell the games always a bit cheaper.
If you buy the games you want to play the most the others will drop in price after a few months.Even if you have the Digital PS5 there will always be sales over the year where the newest Assassins Creed will cost 40—50 something like that.So only buy the games you can’t wait to play you get the most out of, the others you can buy when the cost is like now 50—60 no problem.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I don't see the higher Euro cost as a problem. Most places have a 50% higher minimum wage compared to the US and Europe has the universal health care system.

Similar case with Canada.

tryDEATH

The reactions are way overblown here!First of all big stores sell the games always a bit cheaper.
If you buy the games you want to play the most the others will drop in price after a few months.Even if you have the Digital PS5 there will always be sales over the year where the newest Assassins Creed will cost 40—50 something like that.So only buy the games you can’t wait to play you get the most out of, the others you can buy when the cost is like now 50—60 no problem.
I don't see the higher Euro cost as a problem. Most places have a 50% higher minimum wage compared to the US and Europe has the universal health care system.

Similar case with Canada.

Jim Ryan hoop of your alts and change the f*cking price back.

Kerotan

That's only €58. Great price for brand new AAA software and I'll be buying the US versions on my American account.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Checking Walmart Canada's Series X game page, some of the games are $90 CDN, just like the PS5 page.

Assuming their page is correct, looks like MS and Sony gamers in the same boat. Just need MS to confirm game prices for next gen.

Do you feel pain when you bend over that hard?
Why so unfriendly?I only said Demons Soul is an amazing Game and well worth it.Has nothing to do with being an PlayStation exclusive.I would have said the same for any other game which I found great.This game is packed with content and you can play it up to new game plus 6 or more if you want.If you play with others it is amazingly fun.Of course if it’s not exactly your kind of game but you were interested in it wait till it’s cheaper.

Last edited:

vkbest

Write a letter to your member of EU parliament and ask them to reduce the sales-tax across europe as well as import taxes?
Why is that our problem? (I don't live in the US right now and I don't have this EU problem with higher prices either.)

Write to your EU parliament menber and ask him/her to remove these taxs might help.

This is a problem that only exists in the EU due to its crazy taxes. The solution also exists within EU.

$70 = 59€

59 x 1.20 (20% VAT) = 70.8

80 - 70.8 = 8.2€

Maths are you friend.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I love how people defends Sony saying game prices should be higher because of inflation while ignoring pc and Xbox gamers still rolls on with 60 usd/euro games.

It's like seeing Americans that think USA is the only country in the world. And yes they exist.

Last edited:
Oof... Ouch... that stings... oh my wallet. But really Playstation usually makes single player games 🤔 I don't remember them having very much MTX? am I wrong? Does it suck that their games are now $70, yea it kinda does. But to put this $70 in the same category as other games that will come out later that will also be $70 but with MTX...

Audiophile

Gold Member
Considering first party titles from Sony are almost entirely free of MTX and you get very polished titles, I'm fine with that.

Saying that, with Miles Morales and Forbidden West being cross-gen, they'll be eBay purchases cause f that.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
On behalf of the gaming community bad decision by SONY we should be celebrating video games getting CHEAPER not more overall it won’t effect GAF members we get games on sales anyway.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
This is what they understand from the generational leap. First, we paid for multiplayer. Now this.

I will wait for a %95 discount as always. Before this, it was 2.99. Now, it is 3.49. %16.7 price rise for me. UNNACCETABLE! But i will calm down at some point.

sainraja

On behalf of the gaming community bad decision by SONY we should be celebrating video games getting CHEAPER not more overall it won’t effect GAF members we get games on sales anyway.

So far I haven't seen a clear indication that it is Sony's doing. It seems to be a gaming industry decision.

sainraja

I love how people defends Sony saying game prices should be higher because of inflation while ignoring pc and Xbox gamers still rolls on with 60 usd/euro games.

It's like seeing Americans that think USA is the only country in the world. And yes they exist.

Xbox SS/X prices are the same though. Or if they are different in your country? How are they different? From my own research I've found the games that are $59.99 on the Series S/X are also $59.99 on the PS5. You're welcome to show the price difference between the two in your country. It'd help to compare similar titles.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Xbox SS/X prices are the same though. Or if they are different in your country? How are they different? From my own research I've found the games that are $59.99 on the Series S/X are also $59.99 on the PS5. You're welcome to show the price difference between the two in your country. It'd help to compare similar titles.

From this very own thread :
a3xnug8kgqn51.png

Sushen

$69.99 price point will make me even pickier to buy a game at launch and GamePass sounds really good. I no longer collect games and have felt bad of a long queue of games, and game subscriptions makes sense to me now than ever.

Top Bottom