• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms $69.99 price for first-party PS5 games

TheContact

I mean...look at the cost relative to the consoles too. Take into account inflation. It's crazy that games have been $60 still despite inflation and also having to have a much bigger cost to produce them

LqWhnMi.png

B8UL7IY.png

FUBARx89

It comes to something when Activision have raised CoD to £60, but Sony one ups them putting games out for £70.

I'm not keen on it, our prices have gone up every generation from ps3 onwards by usually a tenner.

Ps3 era was 40 quid.
Ps4 era was 50 quid.
Ps5 era is 70 quid.

Amazing move sony.

My favourite is Miles Morales. They compare it to UC Lost Legacy which was like £30. Naw they want £52.

Last edited:

sackings

outside of day 1 games (fromsoft, team ninja, capcom etc) looks like I'll be buying even less games at full price. I'd be ok with this if it meant all dlc is free and no MT but thats a pipe dream

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I mean...look at the cost relative to the consoles too. Take into account inflation. It's crazy that games have been $60 still despite inflation and also having to have a much bigger cost to produce them

LqWhnMi.png

B8UL7IY.png
Those old ROM chips had a ballpark cost to make of $15. A game pressed to a BR disc is maybe 50 cents. MS or Sony letting you download a copy to your system probably costs them 10 cents of corporate bandwidth and server maintenance fees.

Back then console makers made their money off consoles, controllers, games, and maybe some knick knack shit like Sega branded TV cables or carrying case. Third party studios made it off games, where PC studios might have $20 expansion packs a year later. That was basically it.

In modern times, game studios are making so much profits, they brag about high margin micro trans and companies like EA and Activision are behemoths making billions. Digital cuts, cutting out the retailer, micro trans, sub plans, Sony/MS/Nintendo online fees etc..... You never got this during the Genesis and SNES days.

And the gaming pie is bigger too. NES, Genesis and SNES selling 30-50 million consoles was like hitting the jackpot. Xbox One is considered a failure and it'll still sell around 50 million when MS finally shuts them off.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Ouch. Otoh, it's been forever since they raised game prices, so it's overdue. It'll have to be a pretty special game to get me to fork over $70, though.

Javthusiast

Banned
Miss me with these prices on top of all the mtx and season passes.

But I also never buy games at full price anymore, only with rare exceptions like TLOU2.

Zog

Banned
My post was meant to make fun of the ridiculous EU pricing for games which is absolutely beyond reasonable.
I just picked Australia randomly

Last time I looked into it, Australia had about twice the min wage as the US so bringing up that the price is double is really only for shock value.

Ellery

Last time I looked into it, Australia had about twice the min wage as the US so bringing up that the price is double is really only for shock value.

I shouldn't have done that you are right. I can see now how people missed the point about atrocious EU pricing.

Reactions: Zog

pasterpl

In the UK it seems that ubisoft games are between £5-£10 more expensive for ps5 compared with xbsex

wtf? And how/why some people are defending price increases by big corporate companies that are profitable?

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
I hear many Europeans say now that they ain't paying 80€ for games period.
They'll switch to used games.
Let's see how this works out of Jim Ryan...

Quantum253

I'm sorry what? this has to be an error surely... if this is accurate then I wonder if the reason for it is either Sony pressuring 3rd parties to match their own pricing or 3rd parties seeing the opportunity to simply up the price because Sony does so as well.
I thought it was Sony first party, but I noticed COD: Cold War was listed at $69.99, so I'm going to take it most companies will want to match. I couldn't justify almost $80 for a digital download game. Or this is the solution to completing neutralizing the backlog.

MacReady13

I'm ok with paying these prices if it means we don't need to be bombarded with micro transactions. That extra price should be enough without the devs having to try fuck us over with extra bullshit.

Quantum253

I'm ok with paying these prices if it means we don't need to be bombarded with micro transactions. That extra price should be enough without the devs having to try fuck us over with extra bullshit.
With how lucrative season passes, micro-transactions, loot boxes, and Battle Passes are they aren't going anywhere. Probably will get worse. I'm right with there with you though.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

Microtransactions, season passes, cutting core content to sell it to customers as separate content or as part of a "deluxe" edition are only going to get worse. Far worse. This price increase only represents an increase in the base price of a game - the actual price for anything but the gimped base version will continue to be above (and will rise far above) the base entry cost.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Microtransactions, season passes, cutting core content to sell it to customers as separate content or as part of a "deluxe" edition are only going to get worse. Far worse. This price increase only represents an increase in the base price of a game - the actual price for anything but the gimped base version will continue to be above (and will rise far above) the base entry cost.
I fear you are 100% correct.

DinoD

For fellow Aussies!

I bought (pre-ordered) Miles-Morales for $10 AUD on BigW web site. Heheh

Edit: They just changed it back to $84. Perhaps they will honor my pre-order .

Last edited:

FranXico

Just saw Demon's Souls at 75€ here in Belgium.

PS5 can wait, I have enough backlog for my PS4 to entertain myself until a cheaper hardware revision of the PS5 comes out.
Not wasting money on PS+ either.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Just saw Demon's Souls at 75€ here in Belgium.

PS5 can wait, I have enough backlog for my PS4 to entertain myself until a cheaper hardware revision of the PS5 comes out.
Not wasting money on PS+ either.
I am gonna buy used hardware, but the game prices are gonna make me a little more selective I gotta say. Or I may not jump in at all for a couple years. Honestly, I’ve been thinking about that for a while and it makes a lot of sense. You get hardware that is usually more reliable, at a cheaper price and by then there’s a bunch of games to play that can be had on the cheap. I’ve still got like 30 games to play from the current generation, so I probably won’t even miss a beat if that’s the way I go. This industry fucks early adopters so hard. Just not sure I care enough about this stuff to pay what they’re asking anymore.

Last edited:
I am gonna buy used hardware, but the game prices are gonna make me a little more selective I gotta say. Or I may not jump in at all for a couple years. Honestly, I’ve been thinking about that for a while and it makes a lot of sense. You get hardware that is usually more reliable, at a cheaper price and by then there’s a bunch of games to play that can be had on the cheap. I’ve still got like 30 games to play from the current generation, so I probably won’t even miss a beat if that’s the way I go. This industry fucks early adopters so hard. Just not sure I care enough about this stuff to pay what they’re asking anymore.
Mostly same here.

Most stuff comes out on PC anyway nowadays and I always prefer that.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I have ancipated price in Czech republic around the same, however PS5 exlusives are 100CZK more (which is few bucks), but still, why...

Cato

Banned
Jesus fucking christ.
Complaining that a game costs 69$ instead of 59$
Bloody fucking hell, the world is ending.

You know how much a mint condition Vagrant Story goes for on ebay?

Last edited:
New titles will sell noticeably worse than usual i bet. Question is, if arrogant sony know that but they don't give a shit because price difference will make it up for them.

Jesus fucking christ.
Complaining that a game costs 69$ instead of 59$
Bloody fucking hell, the world is ending.

You know how much a mint condition Vagrant Story goes for on ebay?
it's 80 EUROS in europe vs 69 DOLLARS in usa. This is regional pricing madness and people have right to be upset

Cato

Banned
it's 80 EUROS in europe vs 69 DOLLARS in usa. This is regional pricing madness and people have right to be upset

Write a letter to your member of EU parliament and ask them to reduce the sales-tax across europe as well as import taxes?
Why is that our problem? (I don't live in the US right now and I don't have this EU problem with higher prices either.)

Write to your EU parliament menber and ask him/her to remove these taxs might help.

This is a problem that only exists in the EU due to its crazy taxes. The solution also exists within EU.

Last edited:
Top Bottom