• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms $69.99 price for first-party PS5 games

Allforce

It irks me because as a medium game pricing has hardly any middle ground like so many other forms (TV, books, movies). You're either buying a cheap 9-20 dollar indie title or a 60 dollar "big studio" game. There's nothing releasing at a middle point much anymore.

Some wildly ambitious and expensive AAA title like Spider-Man or Last of Us? Sure, charge out the ass for that experience at first. I can wait but I get that people are hyped over the moon for it and want in ASAP.

If you're going to make the game just a grind for doodads over months and months, price it at 30-40 and go nuts with the DLC and Battle Passes, etc.

Megatron

Sackboy seems to be a bit pricey for what it is.
It will be Half price after 2 months.

No it won’t. Everyone always forgets the rules reset at the start of a new gen. PS5 games will be full price with little to no sales for a year. People will Hitchcock and moan every PSN sale for the first couple years that there are no good prices on PS5 games And all the sales are for PS4 games. It takes several years into a gen before we get good sales.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Any official pound sterling price yet? Because if games cost £69.99 in the UK then I'd probably pack up gaming for good. Yeah I want the new FF and the Demon's Souls remake, but I'm not going to pay £70 on a game.

Doczu

Well thank you very much, i"m officially droping out of next gen untill the console and games are bargain priced.
70-80 EUR is way too fucking much for me and i don't believe any current dlc and mtx shit will go away.

I'm stsying curent gen for as long as i can and i'm thinking about building a cheap gaming rig.

Kazza

Any official pound sterling price yet? Because if games cost £69.99 in the UK then I'd probably pack up gaming for good. Yeah I want the new FF and the Demon's Souls remake, but I'm not going to pay £70 on a game.

Just wait a couple of months and you'll be able to get them for £50. Another year and they'll likely be £30 and so on. This is Sony we're talking about, not Nintendo.

Compsiox

Banned
Everyone is ready to take it up the ass. Sony and other publishers know they can do this and get away with it. The prices are staying at 60 on PC at least for now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just wait a couple of months and you'll be able to get them for £50. Another year and they'll likely be £30 and so on. This is Sony we're talking about, not Nintendo.
For sure. But too many people itch for day one.

Now if it's a competitive game like a shooter or sports game where you gotta bite the bullet and get in early so you can rank up fast like everyone else, ya it sucks. There goes another $10.

But most games you can just chill out and wait for digital deals or a lucky Gamepass kind of thing.

Ar¢tos

No it won’t. Everyone always forgets the rules reset at the start of a new gen. PS5 games will be full price with little to no sales for a year. People will Hitchcock and moan every PSN sale for the first couple years that there are no good prices on PS5 games And all the sales are for PS4 games. It takes several years into a gen before we get good sales.
I'm fine with that, I decided to wait for next year to get a ps5.
I have a long wishlist of ps4 games to play still, and hopefully there will be more sales of ps4 games after the ps5 releases.

ZZZZ

Sony charging games outside of the US.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

TonyK

Said it before and I'll say it again, 60 dollars wasn't sustainable for the rise in development cost considering Americans buy the most games but pay the least for them. Also, game prices in Japan can reach 85 USD easy I was ready for 70 dollar games and figured it would've happened this generation. Scream and moan all you want but you can't keep expecting games to balloon in cost from the sheer work required to produce them and not expect to pay for it: games are so heavily favored in the consumers favor it's not funny.
And how is possible that we pay the same for seeing Avengers Endgame that for an indie movie?

Hunnybun

So £70 here in the UK, or a 40% increase. Yeah, they can fuck off with that. I'm not paying 70 fucking quid for a game.

Not even bothering trying to pre-order now. I was all in for the DE but I can't risk being locked in to those prices.

I guess I'll be waiting for a while. Demon's Souls still didn't particularly impress me tbh, and Horizon being available on the PS4 is pretty deflating too.

Man, they really killed my hype for this thing.

Duallusion

I've been digital-only for about 5 years now on PS4 and yeah, thanks, I'll continue to wait for the vast majority of games to hit the sales on PS store, which have been pretty great in the last couple of years.

We're in the middle of a pandemic, the economy is tanking, millions of people have lost their jobs or are being furloughed... seems like a great time for a massive price increase (especially for Europe, €80, jesus). I really wonder if / how all of this is going to affect sales these next few years.

Besides, revenue streams have already drastically changed these last two generations. If online subscriptions, season passes, microtransactions and lootboxes weren't a thing, maybe I'd understand, but for the vast majority of releases, you can't convince me that they need this price increase to recoup development costs.

Honestly, the more I think about it, considering the times we live in, the more it starts to make sense why Microsoft went the Xbox Series S route. The idea of spending 299 plus game pass ultimate will probably be a lot more appealing to some in this economy than spending 399/499 on whichever console you prefer, plus an online subscription, plus $70 games. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

MrKnocks

Neo Member
I've been digital-only for about 5 years now on PS4 and yeah, thanks, I'll continue to wait for the vast majority of games to hit the sales on PS store, which have been pretty great in the last couple of years.

Question I'd like to ask. How long does it usually take till they put a high profile game on discount? Last of us 2, GoT, etc.

Bogey

Banned
80 EUR? LOL, yea right. You can make up the price difference between PS5 digital vs. physical edition with like.. 1 game purchase.

Aren't y'all looking forward to a digital-only future for next-next-gen?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They are shooting themselves in the foot.....many people will wait now, and if you can wait 2 weeks you might as well wait 4 months and buy it for half = less overall revenue for sony due to greed.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Wait, Demon's Souls is launch day?!

Did I miss that information in the presentation or something?!

PC games will probably follow suit.

Paid 60 euros for Cyberpunk on Steam and paid only 44 euros for Wicher 3 on steam (both preorders btw).

Right an that same $70 digital launch game will be the same price for like 3 years.
You don't think they would do any early sales for any of their new games?
I could see them doing half off sales or 50 instead of 70 sales
I've seen some surprising PS store sales at times
But you are probably right and they are going to keep those prices on lock
You will be at the mercy of PS sales with the digital edition unless you don't mind paying 70 for a 4 hour game

Last edited:
That's a Eur 20 price hike per game here in Euroland. No more day 1 purchases for me I think.
MSRP was 70 euros in the PS store so it's a 10 euro price hike.

In the Netherlands (and probably a lot of other euro countries) when buying at retail you tend to pay around 60 euros though. I expect you'll be paying 70 euro at retail now. So you'll basicly start saving money by getting the disc based version of the PS5 after 10 retail game purchases not even counting resale of games.

Call me crazy but at this point, if you really pay 80 a game per month, pay for online and all.. you better get a PC it's more expensive upfront but - depending on your personal use case - actually cheaper in the long run. This suddenly becomes much more obvious with these new price tags.

dDoc

In the Netherlands (and probably a lot of other euro countries) when buying at retail you tend to pay around 60 euros though.

Yeah for most PS4 titles day one price ranges from 55-60.

I have disposable income but I am not paying Eur 80 (Eur 20-25 more then what I am used to and also more expensive than the USD versions) just because I am based in a different continent.

So in my case a PS5 purchase just got delayed (hyped for DS remake but not really interested in Morales) and will be definitely not buying many, if any, day one games any more. Also got a PC to game on. So if a lot of players are of the same mindset Sony has just shrunk(maybe temporarily) the PS5 user base and game attach rates.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

70$ is bad, but 80€ is even worse. This is way past my psychological barrier and I'm not going to spend that amount of money on any new game. Guess I'll be buying more used games and waiting on more digital sales.

Gam3rdude

In the words of a famous YouTuber, Sony “You done fucked it up!”

Also, such high prices will only encourage pirating & console modding efforts. Serves them right.

Wizz-Art

People saying they'll wait for a sale. What if Sony goes the Nintendo route of not discounting their first party games?

What about new crossgen games like Horizon 2? Will they raise the price on base PS4 games?
I can't see this staying to just Sony. They wouldn't want to price their games more than everyone else unless there was a consensus to raise prices across the board for new titles.

Top Bottom