• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms $69.99 price for first-party PS5 games

Yea I ain't paying that shit. This is mostly gonna affect people that go digital on console, but their used to getting fucked in the ass anyway. People that go digital on PC or physical on console have multiple different storefronts to get their games from, which means way more competition and sales.

Montauk

Do people genuinely expect videogames to remain the same price forever? Why? How?

Also, with publishers continually trying to grab more revenue from DLC, microtransactions and season passes, isn't it better to have a higher base price that more honestly represents what the game should cost and what the published is seeking back in revenue?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Waiting 3 years for a PS5 revision and picking up the few PS5 exclusives for $20 bucks a piece seems like a really good idea right now.

Unless Sony goes full Nintendo with their pricing... they can't do that, right? Right?

Arrogant Sony (feel) they can do everything because of how much behind Microsoft is.

The Shepard

No, its actually cheaper to go physical, see if you like the game or not, and then decide to sell it used or keep it.

It's actually cheaper and less hassle to rent games from sites like boomerang UK if you buy games to sell on. I know if a games a keeper or not before I buy, if I'm unsure, I wait on a sale. I have a good Mix of disks and digital, I'm just pointing out that digital may actually be cheaper for once. Also with digital you can game share with your mates or kids and play the game at the same time.

Zimmy68

They might As well raise the price to $90 for all I care. I still don’t buy new games at $60 either.
it may work for AAA titles like LOU2, Ghost and God of War but a weekly release? Good luck.
‘I know I am screaming at the wall but again, if you don’t like it, don’t support it.

Porcile

I bought Xenoblade 2 on Switch for about that price in yen. Main difference is the shops in Japan usually offer some points system or discount which gets you about 10% of the price back. Don't think that kind of system is so common in the US or England though.

Blond

Banned
[/QUOTE]
Are they? Seems to me they might want the upper hand and stay at $59

Third parties are already confirming selling games on the X1 for 70 dollars. Which let's be honest, have made up the overwhelming large majority of the Xbox catalog since the original. You aren't escaping this especially with the amount it cost just to produce the X1 which is a couple hundred more than the PS5 to expect them to just eat the cost through game pass.

iorek21

dfef52bc718c0e35ded5ad5eb80da4bb.jpg

... but I think this decision is so terrible that they'll end up giving up

Elysion

Banned
I wonder if that price holds. 79€... yikes. But I think games at the start of a new gen have always been more expensive, haven't they? Didn't Microsoft try to introduce a 69$/€ price for games on the original XBox back in the day, before prices reverted back to 59?

Then again, it's been 20 years since Sony introduced the 59$ price on the PS2. I'm actually surprised it remained there for so long, despite inflation. But 79€ for Europe is pretty egregious.

Blond

Banned
Hey, man, don't you even CARE about the planet!?

I'm a little pleased that the "eradicate physical games" drones are getting their just desserts.

While I'm not a "eliminate all physical media" drone and still believe in it, the fact that people keep thinking 70 dollars is because of digital distribution and not insane cost to even build smaller games is pretty dumb. There was no way anyone here can say something like Witcher 3, God of War or Gears 4/5 wouldn't have been worth 70 dollars if that was the cost.

The delusion in this thread is hilarious because once again, a good chunk of you all we're talking about dropping 6/700 dollars for these consoles!

I like PlayStation as the premium option. The price hike of the games makes me feel like it'll help keep the children away.

Last edited:

Yoboman

For Aussie cunts

Amazon AU is pricing at $89 ($65 USD)
EBgames is $125 ($91 USD)

I expect JB Hifi will come in at the same or lower than Amazon. So not a big bump for us

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

Third parties are already confirming selling games on the X1 for 70 dollars. Which let's be honest, have made up the overwhelming large majority of the Xbox catalog since the original. You aren't escaping this especially with the amount it cost just to produce the X1 which is a couple hundred more than the PS5 to expect them to just eat the cost through game pass.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah you're probably right. That sucks.

ripeavocado

Banned
Cross-gen (PS2/PS3) PS5 launch title party game Sackboy is definitely worth 80$!

I'd pay even more for to have that incredible experience in my PS5 on November 12th!

/s

While I'm not a "eliminate all physical media" drone and still believe in it, the fact that people keep thinking 70 dollars is because of digital distribution and not insane cost to even build smaller games is pretty dumb. There was no way anyone here can say something like Witcher 3, God of War or Gears 4/5 wouldn't have been worth 70 dollars if that was the cost.

The delusion in this thread is hilarious because once again, a good chunk of you all we're talking about dropping 6/700 dollars for these consoles!
They are doing this because people are stupid enough to pay for it.

Bryank75

Banned
Probably it includes some average tax across Europe, not sure why else it would be the case.
I know Smyths will sell it cheaper but GameStop is where I pre-ordered and they are even more expensive. They will sell the games there for probably 85-90 if the regular price is 80.

Even at $70 US, that's around $90 Canadian.

You guys want to see scary prices.

Sega Genesis cartridge days. Phantasy Star II and Sword of Vermillion. $120 CDN each. That was the regular price in stores.

So what? I have a brand new, sealed copy of Persona Golden on my Vita that I haven't gotten around to playing it, and I had a guy offered me $150 shipped for it, and I still turned him down. I was going to start playing it, but now I'm going to hang on to it. I have never sold any of my games nor system since the Sega Genesis days, and that was in 1989 or 1990.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I know Smyths will sell it cheaper but GameStop is where I pre-ordered and they are even more expensive. They will sell the games there for probably 85-90 if the regular price is 80.
Yeah and they are definitely not going to be cheaper Digital. I am also screwed even more, because we have CZK here so it's going to be probably converted from EUR in shitty rate, as this is the case more often than not.

Top Bottom