• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms $69.99 price for first-party PS5 games

psegUWq.gif

Yeah no thanks I'll stick to my ps4 or fortnite lol.

€80?!?!! That's $90.

What the fuck. We're heading back to SNES game prices.

SNES games were 600mk here, which would translate into around 100€ without inflation and probably 150-200€ with it :messenger_beaming: Reason why I had only 6-7 games total.

But 80€ is madness, currently launch games are 59-69€, so that is big jump and even current prices makes most of my friends to wait sales or buy used games.. 80€ is like salary of 1,5 days after taxes on 10€/h jobs which are common.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Even at $70 US, that's around $90 Canadian.

You guys want to see scary prices.

Sega Genesis cartridge days. Phantasy Star II and Sword of Vermillion. $120 CDN each. That was the regular price in stores.

And the worst of them all. Back then games came out in the US earlier, so when Super Mario 3 came out (for probably $50 US?), Canadian NES games were around $50-70 depending on the game.

Small mom and pop shops going to Buffalo and grabbing some to bring back were hawking these in store for $150!

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Lmao as if micro transactions arent a thing.

For GaaS, sure, but single player games can only leverage them to a limited extent. Microtransactions, in those cases, likely cannot offset the demands of games requiring ridiculous amounts of people and time to create, getting more demanding all the time, and with a next-gen jump soon.

So, lmao all you want, but try to use your head a little instead of jumping to conclusions.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, in a world where games are going up in cost if I'm buying for a console you can damn well bet I'm going physical. At least then I have SOMETHING I can hold in my hands.

ethomaz

Banned
It is legit.

We know these prices already since Activision announced the new Call of Duty.

Publishers (Sony included) increased the prices in $10.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Honestly expected. Considering paying $70+ for certain special cartridge games 25 years ago, though....eh...wait for sales I guess? I can't imagine more than a handful of games I'll want to play Day 1 and pay that price for next gen.

Dr Bass

That's definitely a lot. I remember paying 80 or 90 bucks for Chrono Trigger though haha.

Funnily enough, Nintendo has been warning about the increasing costs of making games for years and years, and now we are seeing those costs passed onto us.

Antwix

Hmm, I'm curious what some Walmarts will be charging for physical games in-store. Most Walmarts price their new games at $50 as opposed to $60. Either way, definitely sways me to go physical.

Blond

Banned
Even at $70 US, that's around $90 Canadian.

You guys want to see scary prices.

Sega Genesis cartridge days. Phantasy Star II and Sword of Vermillion. $120 CDN each. That was the regular price in stores.

And the worst of them all. Back then games came out in the US earlier, so when Super Mario 3 came out (for probably $50 US?), Canadian NES games were around $50-70 depending on the game.

Small mom and pop shops going to Buffalo and grabbing some to bring back were hawking these in store for $150!

Preach a little louder. It's hilarious that people in this thread were in others talking about they're ready to pay 600 dollars for a PS5 but don't want to pay 70 dollars for the games to play on it? Give me a break lmao.

Last edited:
That's total bollocks, but given how much cheaper physical gets compared to digital, at least I'll have offset the extra cost of the disk version by about the 8th purchase.

Business

I think at 80eur per game they are not gonna see me around very often. 70 euros was already pushing it in Europe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom