• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony can respond to The Empire building the Death Star using...Moneyball

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." - Jim Ryan, yesterday, probably.

We've all had to hear XBox fans talk about Microsoft's fearsome war chest since 2003. "Just you wait. They can buy anyone they want. Then we'll see who's laughing". Well, it seems like the war chest is finally in play.

But what can Sony do?

The answer is Moneyball. There's a bunch of great YouTube videos explaining it but I'll give you Hollywoods description, as it can be pretty dry.

Context: MLB baseball doesn't have a salary cap, which means wealthy teams can construct rosters by paying the best players. In the clip, Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) is the GM of the lowly Oakland A's. His owner hires a non baseball mathematician (Jonah Hill) who assesses a players talent using non traditional means.

Sony can't outspend Microsoft. They don't have the stomach for it, and frankly they don't have the ability.

In order for Sony to compete over the next 10+ years, they must identify what the market overvalues, what it undervalues, and spend accordingly.

The question I pose to NeoGAF is "What does the industry currently overvalue, and what does the industry currently undervalue?"

Overvalue:

Big budget graphics - The market would rather play Minecraft and Fortnite than The Last of Us II or Resident Evil 2 Remake. Gamers don't value graphics like we did back in the day.

Quirky Japanese games (KojiPro) - There's a reason Japan has fallen off a cliff over the last 20 years. Kojima, we love him, isn't commercially relavent anymore.

20 hr single player games w/no replay value. These games come and go so quickly out of the zeitgeist that it's not worth pursuing if you're spending crazy time and resources on them.

High skill floor games - Games that can't be picked up by a wide variety of gamers are putting a ceiling on their success. The Bloodborne/DarkSouls type games are never going to be big sellers.

Undervalue:

Multiplayer - SteamCharts and XBox Live most Played Games List shows that people are overwhelmingly playing multiplayer games today.

Western Indie - Valheim is closing in on 7 million sold. That's approaching The Last of Us II numbers.

GAAS - In 10 years, the amount of people playing their "one game", is going to increase. Sony needs to be leading that charge.

Sandbox - Stardew Valley sold 10+ million, Animal Crossing sold 40+ million, Terraria sold 25+ million. These games appeal to a bigger audience and they traditionally have longer legs.

Last edited:

ManaByte

God Of War Sigh GIF by PlayStation

VAVA Mk2

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." - Jim Ryan, yesterday, probably.

We've all had to hear XBox fans talk about Microsoft's fearsome war chest since 2003. "Just you wait. They can buy anyone they want. Then we'll see who's laughing". Well, it seems like the war chest is finally in play.

But what can Sony do?

The answer is Moneyball. There's a bunch of great YouTube videos explaining it but I'll give you Hollywoods description, as it can be pretty dry.

Context: MLB baseball doesn't have a salary cap, which means teams can build rosters as long as they're willing to pay players what they're asking. Good players know they're worth more than average - below average players, so they get teams like the New York Yankees to pay them. How do small market teams with cheap owners compete? Watch and learn...

Sony can't outspend Microsoft. They don't have the stomach for it, and frankly they don't have the ability.

In order for Sony to compete over the next 10+ years, they must identify what the market overvalues, what it undervalues, and spend accordingly.

The question I pose to NeoGAF is "What does the industry currently overvalue, and what does the industry currently undervalue?"

Overvalue:

Big budget graphics - The market would rather play Minecraft and Fortnite than The Last of Us II or Resident Evil 2 Remake. Gamers don't value graphics like we did back in the day.

Quirky Japanese games (KojiPro) - There's a reason Japan has fallen off a cliff over the last 20 years. Kojima, we love him, isn't commercially relavent anymore.

20 hr single player games w/no replay value. These games come and go so quickly out of the zeitgeist that it's not worth pursuing if you're spending crazy time and resources on them.

High skill floor games - Games that can't be picked up by a wide variety of gamers are putting a ceiling on their success. The Bloodborne/DarkSouls type games are never going to be big sellers.

Undervalue:

Multiplayer - SteamCharts and XBox Live most Played Games List shows that people are overwhelmingly playing multiplayer games today.

Western Indie - Valheim is closing in on 7 million sold. That's approaching The Last of Us II numbers.

GAAS - In 10 years, the amount of people playing their "one game", is going to increase. Sony needs to be leading that charge.

Sandbox - Stardew Valley sold 10+ million, Animal Crossing sold 40+ million, Terraria sold 25+ million. These games appeal to a bigger audience and they traditionally have longer legs.

Why the fuck are so many of these posts continuing to be made?

Renozokii

Why the fuck are so many of these posts continuing to be made?
Because despite series x sales being seemingly below those of even the one in a similar time frame, and the series consoles both being in less demand than Sony’s console, and PlayStation posting their best financials of all time people are convinced Xbox is about to take over because of 20 million subs for a service that took 10 billion dollars and basically give aways to get to that large figure. It’s more likely Microsoft sees Xbox as having failed with the sheer amount of resources given to them and starts to wind the division down this gen than Xbox taking over and become the industry leader.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Because despite series x sales being seemingly below those of even the one in a similar time frame, and the series consoles both being in less demand than Sony’s console, and PlayStation posting their best financials of all time people are convinced Xbox is about to take over because of 20 million subs for a service that took 10 billion dollars and basically give aways to get to that large figure. It’s more likely Microsoft sees Xbox as having failed with the sheer amount of resources given to them and starts to wind the division down this gen than Xbox taking over and become the industry leader.

Translation: "That Death Star will never be built. We the people of Alderaan never have to think about the future. Let's party!"

Microsoft's entire strategy right now is to get people using Azure for everything. Productivity, communications, commerce, recreation, everything. They will do their best to leverage the Xbox brand (and gaming generally) to get more people into some portion of Azure. The way this board talks about Sony versus Microsoft is so strange to me. Their entire business models are practically orthogonal, and competition between them in gaming is incidental.

If Microsoft could sell Azure services on Sony devices, they'd do it tomorrow. They had no issue putting Windows on Viaos, and they'll put Gamepads on Playstations if they can.

People on this forum seem to care a lot about the branding on the box they use to play videogames. I don't think Microsoft does.

Nester99

Na.

People like me bought both and see the PS5 collecting dust as we turn on the Xbox SX daily.

PlayStation in the PS4 era dominated due to exclusives........Sorry is really lagging on games I want to play right now.

Was going to pick up the show like i do every year.....guess that's free for me now =D

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Just keep doing what they done with the PS4.. Plus add some new exclusives and genres to the mix... some multiplayers, 1st person shooters, fighters and RPG’s.

Its been working for Nintendo and Playstation.... you know the leading hardware and software sellers...

Blockbuster said this.
Kodak said this.
Oldsmobile said this.

The videogame market is changing at a blistering rate. Not reacting to it would be a fools errand.

Kokoloko85

Na.

People like me bought both and see the PS5 collecting dust as we turn on the Xbox SX daily.

PlayStation in the PS4 era dominated due to exclusives........Sorry is really lagging on games I want to play right now.

Was going to pick up the show like i do every year.....guess that's free for me now =D

Considering theres been more exclusives for PS5 I dont know what you mean.

Ive been playing Disco Elysium and Abe’s Soulstorm this week. One was free on PS+ and the other was discounted at launch for some reason.
Ive got Returnal, RE 8, Ratchet and Clank, FF7 and more coming this year.
What are you playing daily on the XBox SX?

Kokoloko85

Blockbuster said this.
Kodak said this.
Oldsmobile said this.

The videogame market is changing at a blistering rate. Not reacting to it would be a fools errand.
I get what you mean but like I said, sales do the talking and Nintendo and Playstatiom are dominating. There is also PS now if your interesting in something similar.

Most people dont even know what Gamepass is in the commercial world and considering XBox SX has sold less then Xb1 during the same time, I dont see the market changing too much yet. Does every PC player have or want gamepass?

Nintendo and Playstation will catch up eventually to gamepass and it will split the market when it comes to streaming/ gaming netflix services

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Woes and worries of what could be(and also no one trusts Jim Ryan).

It all leads Playstation users making tons of threads and being like this:
giphy.gif

We're 19 posts in and we have yet to get an answer to the question posed in the OP. I wonder why people are avoiding the answer.

PlayStation has done so well because it was the best choice for a large number of gamers.

Once Microsoft starts firing on all cylinders, will that still be the case?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sony should stay the course. They are successful. Microsoft are desperate and have the war chest to try and buy mind share. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft can maintain the quality and pricing structure once they are out of user acquisition mode.

That's not the question posed in the OP.

It's asking what you think the industry overvalues right now, and what it undervalues.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I get what you mean but like I said, sales do the talking and Nintendo and Playstatiom are dominating. There is also PS now if your interesting in something similar.

Most people dont even know what Gamepass is in the commercial world and considering XBox SX has sold less then Xb1 during the same time, I dont see the market changing too much yet. Does every PC player have or want gamepass?

Nintendo and Playstation will catch up eventually to gamepass and it will split the market when it comes to streaming/ gaming netflix services

Kodak, Bluckbuster, and Oldsmobile also let the sales do the talking (and sales were phenomenal for all 3).

All 3 went belly up because they didn't adapt to a changing market.

These companies need to chart where they're heading over the next 5-10+ years.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people think every company needs to respond to Microsoft. They are a megalith. They are one of the largest companies on the planet. Bill Gates is frequently the richest man alive. We are talking a company which has had the monopoly on desktop OS's for decades, which does billion dollar deals with the US military and NSA. They are a titan. They have more money than most countries. They have more political power than most countries.

Sony and Nintendo are consumer oriented companies. At this point Microsoft is closer to a Nation-State than these guys.

It is a testament to how poorly Microsoft has been managed that they have ceded so much of the market to their competitors. I don't see that ending, no matter how many studios they aquire. They have always struggled with video games, since Bill Gates was pretending DOOM ran on Windows 95 (it didn't).

Sony and Nintendo just need to keep doing what they are doing. Nintendo focus on the Japan centric mobile centric market. Sony to balance Japan and international business the way they have since the 1960s.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I don't understand why people think every company needs to respond...

All companies need to respond to market conditions at all times. The one's that don't, die. This applies to all markets, not just games.

XBox is PlayStations biggest competitor. That's common knowledge. What Microsoft has done over the last 2 years is impressive. Naturally, this is stirring a lot of conversation and opinions.

Note how many people have answered the main question in the OP. That's not happenstance.

Renozokii

Translation: "That Death Star will never be built. We the people of Alderaan never have to think about the future. Let's party!"
Lmao. Yea exactly the translation. I mean it’s kinda more like Sony and Nintendo already have their Death Stars built and have been chillen blowin shit up while Microsoft is throwing billions to try and build one that can “fingers crossed” actually blow a planet up despite the best efforts of darth Philliois the chinless. (Dudes head always bothered me there’s like 2 inches of length from his throat to the tip of his chin)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't understand why people think every company needs to respond to Microsoft. They are a megalith. They are one of the largest companies on the planet. Bill Gates is frequently the richest man alive. We are talking a company which has had the monopoly on desktop OS's for decades, which does billion dollar deals with the US military and NSA. They are a titan. They have more money than most countries. They have more political power than most countries.

Sony and Nintendo are consumer oriented companies. At this point Microsoft is closer to a Nation-State than these guys.

It is a testament to how poorly Microsoft has been managed that they have ceded so much of the market to their competitors. I don't see that ending, no matter how many studios they aquire.

Sony and Nintendo just need to keep doing what they are doing. Nintendo focus on the Japan centric mobile centric market. Sony to balance Japan and international business the way they have since the 1960s.
I wouldnt brag about Sony too much. Their market share in TVs has tanked for decades and they even bailed ship on Vaio selling it off years ago. So for a consumer goods company that had good brand recognition for decades, they failed to cheap Chinese and Korean brands. At one time, somehow their TV division lost probably $10 billion over many years when Samsung and LG were raking in the money on LCDs. Samsung and LG have really only come on the past 20 years. Before that they were bargain brands and LG was known as Lucky Goldstar when they'd sell microwaves at Walmart for $60. They both took over Sony. When Sony cant even beat brands like Hisense and TCL, you got issues too.

The only consumer division doing well is PS. Microsoft's corporate strategy of servers, Office and Azure is tops and never fails. And they funnel money to Xbox so Xbox gamers have great systems, games and $1 GP sub plans for cheap.

If Sony opened up some of "their record profits" and gave you PS gamers a good deal every once in a while, it would make sense, but they hoard the profits. They could make a strategic decision to put The Show on PS+ or PS Now but their board room execs would rather grill you for $70. That's the decision. You got to live with it, while some Xbox gamers play The Show or $1. If a GP gamer wants to buy it, GP gives 20% off deals to games on the list. So even buying it is cheaper than on PS.

Since 1994, PS1 sold 100M, PS2 150M, PS3 85M, PS4 120M units.

Despite gaming growing at exponential rates the past 30 years, their unit sales havent budged when it should have. They know the console market is only so big that's why they are trying to grow sales going PC and Xbox multiplats.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Would this thread go over better if I removed PlayStation from the OP?

The thread is literally just asking what the market overvalues, and what it undervalues, which is fairly benign.

It seems like emotions are too high when plastic is mentioned.

VAVA Mk2

Microsoft's entire strategy right now is to get people using Azure for everything. Productivity, communications, commerce, recreation, everything. They will do their best to leverage the Xbox brand (and gaming generally) to get more people into some portion of Azure. The way this board talks about Sony versus Microsoft is so strange to me. Their entire business models are practically orthogonal, and competition between them in gaming is incidental.

If Microsoft could sell Azure services on Sony devices, they'd do it tomorrow. They had no issue putting Windows on Viaos, and they'll put Gamepads on Playstations if they can.

People on this forum seem to care a lot about the branding on the box they use to play videogames. I don't think Microsoft does.
They do sell Azure on Sony stuff...PSN runs on Azure.

Renozokii

Phil adopted this strategy only after the Xbox division was about to get canned. Acting like Microsoft has some genius long term strategies when in reality they own fucking windows and Microsoft office is hilarious. They throw money at every problem they have. They are doing well with the cloud because they had resources almost no company on earth had and went after it. No other company save for maybe google, who I view similarly, has as many failed products and services, especially those like windows phone that were on a massive scale. They lost 4 billion at one point in a single quarter.

Shifting the argument to Xbox not really competing with PlayStation after generations of failure, with the most recent being their largest loss to date is just a tad bit too convenient for me. Yes Xbox will definitely help Microsoft in aspects of their other services, especially azure, but I also fail to see a reality where Satiya is going to be ok with Xbox getting billions in resources to come up short again in their industry and be ok with that. This is a second chance for Xbox and the reality is gamepass ain’t turning a profit yet and they aren’t done throwing crazy amounts of money around.

Any platform or developer just has to make great games players want. Gamers have bought entire systems and generations for 1 or 2 great games. Nintendo live off the back of this really, the value add comes from that. Sony, Ninty or MS can package and appeal in a variety of ways that are similar or differentiators but it boils down to just make great games and people will pay for it. Everything else is built out or marketed from there.

Truth be told all of the big 3 are having brilliant success in recent times and it's not looking like slowing down for the immediate future.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Playstation just needs to be being Playstation, doing Playstation thing. No need to follow Microsoft's strategy.
I agree.

The sales seem to be there despite whatever Xbox has done, as well as the PC multiplats lately.

You can see they are changing. They gave away tons of games (PS5 collection even though PS5 sells out like crazy) and the 9 games lately to everyone. They are dipping into PC too, but since they are planning more it means they dont expect a bad affect to PS.

Unless the trend reverses, Sony doesn't have to really do anything.

Reactions: Rea

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Any platform or developer just has to make great games players want.

fzEq.gif

You're not really saying anything.

"Any team or GM just has to sign great players that help get wins."

Like, yeah, we know.

If Jim Ryan calls you into a board meeting and asks you about PlayStations future, and you tell him that, you get blank looks.

We're trying to unpack what successful games look like to Sony over the next 0-10 years.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You guys really don't understand what PlayStation is doing, it's at least spending 2x more than Xbox. You think that $25B is pure, 1 year net profit? If true that will be insane but no.

TcUcaTK.png

PlayStation has made only $3.3B profit out of $25.5B, which means they've spent around $22.2B on PlayStation brand in one year.

Sony is making vastly more consoles, making and publishing a gigantic amount of games vs Xbox, developing extensively in games and services.

That war chest is a fucking meme, and the Bethesda deal that people are melting over is pocket change to what PlayStation Division is spending on. Difference is Xbox is more than likely is operating on a loss and MS isn't transparent enough with it hiding behind PR. PlayStation is spending much stronger than Xbox and making much more consoles! They've shipped more than 7 million consoles (over $3.5B + logistics) and planning to ship 14.8 million PS5's by next year, so that's alone is investing more than $7.4B in one year.

MS should stop talking and start showing.

Last edited:

surprised eye roll GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You guys really don't understand what PlayStation is doing, it's at least spending 2x more than Xbox. You think that $25B is pure, 1 year net profit? If true that will be insane but no.

TcUcaTK.png

PlayStation has made only $3.3B profit out of $25B, which means they've spent around $22.7B on PlayStation brand in one year.

Sony is making vastly more consoles, making and publishing a gigantic amount of games vs Xbox, developing extensively in games and services.

That war chest is a fucking meme, and the Bethesda deal that people are melting over is pocket change to what PlayStation Division is spending on. Difference is Xbox is more than likely is operating on a loss and MS isn't transparent enough with it hiding behind PR. PlayStation is spending much stronger than Xbox and making much more consoles! They've shipped more than 7 million consoles (over $3.5B + logistics) and planning to ship 14.8 million PS5's by next year, so that's alone is investing more than $7.4B in one year.

MS should stop talking and start showing.
Who in this thread brought up $25 billion thinking that's the annual profit?

Nester99

Considering theres been more exclusives for PS5 I dont know what you mean.

Ive been playing Disco Elysium and Abe’s Soulstorm this week. One was free on PS+ and the other was discounted at launch for some reason.
Ive got Returnal, RE 8, Ratchet and Clank, FF7 and more coming this year.
What are you playing daily on the XBox SX?

I paid $220 Canadian for 3 years of Gamepass in October, this is my 2nd round of the super Gamepass deal. I did 2 years with my Xbox one X

My One X got a lot of dust. I play the PS4 Perhaps 80% of the time.
Now its the opposite (admittedly only 5 months in )

On the Xbox i have been playing the following over the last month.

Forza Horizon 4 - never really played a forza game previously, really suprised how much fun i am having
Slay the spire
Monster Train,
Star wars Squadrons
Outriders
Gears Tactics
Doom Eternal
Star Wars Jedi Fallen
Tales of Vespiera
OuterWilds
Dragon Age Origins (lol i know)

in a few days i will play the shit out of "the show" which has been one of my most played PS games over the last few years.

one non gamepass game. - Yakuza Like a Dragon

FOR PS5 in the last month i have played

Demon Souls.
Subnoatuica
NO mans Sky.
Cyberpunk.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Sony has a ton of games that come out in 21/22/23 that are just awesome - I loved my PS4 and would love for Sony to below me away like they did last gen, but it just has not happened.

I November i tried to sell my XBOX S/X as i had my PS5. NO TAKERS..so i opened it up.

If i had to sell one tomorrow. it would be the PS5.

Your mileage may of course vary.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Who in this thread brought up $25 billion thinking that's the annual profit?

👇

It's hilarious, really. PlayStation alone spent $22.7B in one fiscal year, that's more than twice what Xbox Division annual revenue is in one year.:lollipop_tears_of_joy: Add the Bethesda deal to it and it's still pretty short.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
👇

It's hilarious, really. PlayStation alone spent $22.7B in one fiscal year, that's more than twice what Xbox Division annual revenue is in one year.:lollipop_tears_of_joy: Add the Bethesda deal to it and it's still pretty short.
If talking specifically within the gaming division financials (which nobody know's what Xbox's is, but fair guess is it's worse than Sony and Nintendo), Sony has more clout.

But as a whole company, Sony can't outdo MS. MS paid $7.5 billion cash alone for Zenimax.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If talking specifically within the gaming division financials (which nobody know's what Xbox's is, but fair guess is it's worse than Sony and Nintendo), Sony has more clout.

But as a whole company, Sony can't outdo MS. MS paid $7.5 billion cash alone for Zenimax.

Add that to their annual revenue, it sounds at least a -$8B loss last year. This is business, if MS is as powerful as you guys talking about they won't axe Mixer and close all of their stores. Not long enough until Satya revisits Bill Gate's idea few years back in 2014 If investors aren't happy with Xbox business models.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Add that to their annual revenue, it sounds at least a -$8B loss last year. This is business, if MS is as powerful as you guys talking about they won't axe Mixer and close all of their stores. Not long enough until Satya revisits Bill Gate's idea few years back in 2014 If investors aren't happy with Xbox business models.

Can you share XBox's yearly operating costs?

Renozokii

Na.

I mean that sounds like a dope story my man.I think vastly higher software sales on the ps5 for non gamepass day one games, more demand and continued higher mark ups on the ps5 despite more units being out there, and I mean, winning in every tangible way so far all paint a different picture.

And I mean, the ps5 has the excellent demons souls remaster, sack boy, Astro bots, and miles morales. That seems like a better launch line up than knack and killzone. You also get 20 of probably the best games from all last gen day one with ps plus and literally some of the best months ps plus has ever had with the likes of ff7 remake, control, remnant , and concrete genie. You can get ps plus for like 30 bucks of cd keys and have what’s borderline a better library than all of gamepass at your disposal and they stay with you as long as you have plus, they don’t leave the service and you have to buy them to keep playing.

Your ps5 collecting dust is a you problem.

Top Bottom