• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Business Thread [Quarterlies, Annual Financials, Share price, Acquisitions etc.]

John Wick

The first-party output will be higher for sure, because they have added new teams.

ND released 3 games last gen (Uncharted 4, Uncharted Lost Legacy, TLOU2, in addition to TLOU remaster).

SSM had one game cancelled and the studio was being restructured, hence they could only produce 1 game, but now they have two teams, and the GOW trilogy all planned out. I am confident we will get 4 games from them this generation (3 for sure).

SP's 2 games sound about right. GG also has 2 teams and 400 people now (including an xDev team). I'm expecting at least 3-4 games from them this generation. And Insomniac, as you said, is a beast. They are the dark horse of this generation and will play a crucial role for Sony, especially with PSVR2 (I have a hunch they are working on a PSVR2 game).

I think Sony will be fine in terms of first-party output. They have already released 5 PlayStation Studios game in the first 6 months of launch, with 2 are lined up for the next 3 months. This is fantastic output.

Now all eyes are on Sony if they purchase a big publisher and take that content off Xbox (ala Bethesda). But Sony does not operate that way. So shouldn't be judged based of their inaction on that front, imo.
Sony need to sit down and plan ahead as a whole unit. I want PS to communicate and integrate features with their TV division/camera/mobile etc. Sony have a huge fanbase to sell game oriented tv's to.
All their top studios need to expand and hire the best talent but also reduce crunch and loss of talent(Naughty Dog). PD needs an overhaul and to be streamlined. Maybe an European branch?
Acquisitions need to be made but sensible ones.
SE is a good bet to buy outright along with Kudokawa.
Also Sony will be crunching the numbers for gamepass and will be working on a competitor mark my words. They just don't need to rush in. Take your time get the balance right.

Last edited:

ksdixon

These new ps5's that Sony are doing in response to shortage.. Do they have any advantage over launch models which would make them a rank above?

Dabaus

Banned
I dont want to hear "Its too expensive or their too big." There's literally no reason sony shouldnt be trying to move heaven and earth to acquire square enix at this point. They have the money and the long term relationship to prove it could work.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I dont want to hear "Its too expensive or their too big." There's literally no reason sony shouldnt be trying to move heaven and earth to acquire square enix at this point. They have the money and the long term relationship to prove it could work.
One concern in Sony's camp would be regarding the ROI and future profitability if they make such a big move. Adding 5,000+ staff would also bring the operational profitability down by a significant margin, at least in the short term. All these factors count, and I think the hesitance to make a move like this could be stemming from here.

Varteras

Gold Member
One concern in Sony's camp would be regarding the ROI and future profitability if they make such a big move. Adding 5,000+ staff would also bring the operational profitability down by a significant margin, at least in the short term. All these factors count, and I think the hesitance to make a move like this could be stemming from here.
Yeah. A massive acquisition like Square Enix needs to be very carefully considered. Microsoft and Zenimax was a situation where Zenimax WANTED to be bought by someone and they already had a great relationship with Microsoft. From what I understand, the company as a whole was in a tough spot. Not a horrible one, mind you. But one where the future of many at the company was in question. Zenimax had 8 studios and I think around 2,500 employees. That's a lot of mouths to feed with too many of their games underperforming commercially over the last few years.

Square Enix isn't in the same boat. Final Fantasy XIV alone has raked in a considerable amount of money for them. Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest are all very successful franchises. They perform very well both critically and commercially. Even lower budget titles like Octopath Traveler and games they publish from third parties like Nier Automata have done very well for them. It's not very likely that Square Enix feels the need to sell and any company that would buy them would have a huge undertaking on their hands. Not just in monetary cost but in structure and organization.

As long as Sony can continue to secure deals with major publishers and they're not in danger of being bought then there is no immediate need for Sony to try and grab them. They're better off going for smaller developers that have proven themselves and would be much more agreeable to terms for the sake of stability. Assuming they would be open to it studios like Bluepoint, Housemarque, Arc System Works, and Vanillaware fit the mold for Sony perfectly. Smaller studios with good track records and a long relationship with Sony. Each of them also brings something to the table that Sony's current studios just don't.

Other studios that Sony has partnered with like Ember Lab, Haven, and Firewalk would be something that, were I Sony, I would be keenly interested to see how they perform and jump at the chance to pick them up now while their cost would be much lower. Certainly Firewalk as it sounds like they have talent that excels in FPS and multiplayer. Something Sony clearly lacks. At the very least, I would offer them long term contracts to create games exclusively for my platform with first rights on acquisition in the event they want to sell during the contract.

I definitely feel that Square Enix fits the best with Sony compared to any other publisher out there and I can't imagine them belonging to any other first party. But buying them would be a ton of money to simply deny their games going anywhere else when the deals they make with them ensure that PlayStation gets a lot of association with Square Enix titles as it is. That kind of money could buy them quite a few deals with many other companies and SE itself, smaller studios to diversify their roster, expansion of current studios to improve their output, and still having money left over to potentially buy a smaller publisher in more immediate danger of being purchased if Sony thinks it's worth it.

kyussman

I don't think a Square Enix aquisition would be a very good move for Sony or Square Enix tbh....these exclusive deals on a game by game basis seem much better(I'm talking from a business perspective of course)....Squares games already do very well on PlayStation and these deals just cement that,Square then also get the extra sales from other platforms.I think with this current strategy everyone is winning(again,from a business perspective).

Papacheeks

Banned

Well here's the thing, out of those 5000 how many are making AAA? Because I would start making fate: grand and order sequels, more FF mobile with cool card games. Hell would love a mobile FF in the vein of monster hunter stories and a monster/materia collecting game where you summon and fight them like pokemon.

That would sell millions.
But in terms of buying square I bet square wants a ton. But I would argue tomb raider and hitman are making the price in the high billions.

So for now doing exclusive deals seems to be more cost effective.
Which is why Sony invested money into square. I think that will increase over time. The more stock Sony buys investment wise the harder it makes it for anyone to buy square.
So unless Microsoft wants to spend 10+ billion on top of buy outs for sony's stock which they would have a say in.

Right now FF will remain Sony. I think you will see couple billion from Sony invest into Square soon to solidify long-term partnership without technically buying them.
With sonys brand support and reach for phones, tvs I can see square doing well for mobile and Sony reaping benefits of soly being place to play FF and any new big jrpg.

Let Nintendo and Microsoft get braverly default and the scraps.
We be feasting on FF16, Awakening, FFVIIR , plus any future kingdom hearts.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned

Plus, how much would it cost to BUY Square? A few Billion dollars? Why not just pay them $100 million per game to have it as a 1-2 year console exclusive? That seems like money better spent to me. Do that for about 5 games this generation and come away with spending a half a billion and not have the extra responsibility of handling 5,000 employees.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Plus, how much would it cost to BUY Square? A few Billion dollars? Why not just pay them $100 million per game to have it as a 1-2 year console exclusive? That seems like money better spent to me. Do that for about 5 games this generation and come away with spending a half a billion and not have the extra responsibility of handling 5,000 employees.
Exactly. While buying such a huge publisher is obviously a bigger deal (like Bethesda was for Xbox as well as fans), I also fully understand what Sony is doing and why. There are clear benefits of this approach as well. And there are valid arguments for both scenarios.

reksveks

Square is a publicly traded company, I think it's in the 7bn range based off the current price.

I think that the smarter move is to buy timed exclusives

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Hey in the future do you guys think sony makes a play for some of the Wb asset since it seems discovery is look to sell some of theses assets in the near future
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/18/warnermedia-discovery-structured-for-flexibility-to-sell-later.html
It would fit in with other parts of their business besides gaming. Who knows.
Square is a publicly traded company, I think it's in the 7bn range based off the current price.

I think that the smarter move is to buy timed exclusives
This and just regular platform exclusives. Both have been done for several console generations. This gen just seems different with the goals of both Sony and MS. But its really not.

Bryank75

Banned
OH GOD! No way in heck are Sony buying Square for no 7 BILLION! Are yall crazy?!

They could easily do it... they made over 10 billion net income this year alone.

The issue I see is that Sony has been focused on making the organization lean, cutting employee numbers.... the globalization effort of PlayStation was part of that.

Buying Square adds 5,000 staff and then you need to lay off most of the publishing / PR and marketing or integrate them into PlayStation. It's a very time consuming a disruptive process that could get in the way of games actually being produced.

I think in the longterm either Sega or Square Enix would be good options or MiHoYo is another option.....
30% of Square business is films, anime and manga.... so it would fit with Sony's overall plans.

yurinka

I don't see why they would want to buy Square-Enix, they already publish all their main games on PlayStation and many of them with some kind of exclusivity. And I don't see why Square Enix would want to sell their company and become full exclusive to a single platform where many of their games are too expensive to made so need to be multiplatform (even if after a timed console exclusivity) to make them profitable.

The issue I see is that Sony has been focused on making the organization lean, cutting employee numbers.... the globalization effort of PlayStation was part of that.
Their gaming division has been growing and they announced that will increase in $183M this year their 1st party internal development teams, which basically means they will aprox. double their headcount in a single year.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I don't see why they would want to buy Square-Enix, they already publish all their main games on PlayStation and many of them with some kind of exclusivity. And I don't see why Square Enix would want to sell their company and become full exclusive to a single platform where many of their games are too expensive to made so need to be multiplatform (even if after a timed console exclusivity) to make them profitable.

Their gaming division has been growing and they announced that will increase in $183M this year their 1st party internal development teams, which basically means they will aprox. double their headcount in a single year.

Yeah but how much of that is the new mobile games studio and the film development wing based on games?

Then just bulking up on staff for the existing studios....

That is just to stay competitive also, they have to compete with EA and Xbox targeting devs.

yurinka

Yeah but how much of that is the new mobile games studio and the film development wing based on games?

Then just bulking up on staff for the existing studios....

That is just to stay competitive also, they have to compete with EA and Xbox targeting devs.
These $183M are to grow their existing PlayStation Studios to make 1st party PS5 games, none of them makes mobile games and isn't for new studios or potential future acquisitions. Their mobile studio is under Sony Music.

Sony makes a ton of money more than the other ones and is a distant market leader in most areas, they aren't the ones who need to improve stuff to 'stay competitive'.

The $183M is a tiny portion of the money they made this year. They also will spend a ton of money on 2nd party games, 3rd party exclusives and so on.

1st party exclusives are a tiny part of their business, and they are winning more GOTYs than anyone and selling better than ever. No need to make any big change on their 1st party teams.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
These $183M are to grow their existing PlayStation Studios to make 1st party PS5 games, none of them makes mobile games and isn't for new studios or potential future acquisitions. Their mobile studio is under Sony Music.

Sony makes a ton of money more than the other ones and is a distant market leader in most areas, they aren't the ones who need to improve stuff to 'stay competitive'.

The $183M is a tiny portion of the money they made this year. They also will spend a ton of money on 2nd party games, 3rd party exclusives and so on.

1st party exclusives are a tiny part of their business, and they are winning more GOTYs than anyone and selling better than ever. No need to make any big change on their 1st party teams.

Jim set up a new mobile studio as part of PlayStation.

reksveks

These $183M are to grow their existing PlayStation Studios to make 1st party PS5 games, none of them makes mobile games and isn't for new studios or potential future acquisitions. `
Do we know what was the rough cost of their current internal studios last year?

yurinka

It says they are hiring a guy to overview mobile games (which doesn't imply they are creating a new studio, games could be made by their already existing mobile studio or at external studios), not that they are opening a new internal studio to make mobile games.

Last edited:

yurinka

Do we know what was the rough cost of their current internal studios last year?
Not sure, at least I don't have the numbers here. When I said 'doubling their headcount' is just a personal estimation considering the current headcount of all their 1st party studios combined and an average salary estimation.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned

Where are you getting the bolded from?

Dabaus

Banned
When I said they should buy square enix it was more from a defensive stand point with all the market consolidation going on. Id say square is far and away sonys most important 3rd party partner (IMO). Perhaps a large stock buy would make more sense?

Bryank75

Banned
When I said they should buy square enix it was more from a defensive stand point with all the market consolidation going on. Id say square is far and away sonys most important 3rd party partner (IMO). Perhaps a large stock buy would make more sense?
I agree 100%.

I feel they absolutely need to move on this eventually.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Plus, those $183M is just the YoY growth. So whatever they spent last year + 183M on top of that = What they will spend on internal growth this fiscal year. I think that's a ton of money.

Just with $183M at $100k per year, you get 1,800 staff. After calculating employee onboarding charges, suppose you only get 1,000 employees at PlayStation Studios. That's like 5-7 big new AAA teams, working on potentially 5-7 big new AAA games.

And again, that's just for $183M. But that's not the total amount they will spend because that's just the YoY growth.

In the last two years, they have roughly spent $4B in internal growth.

I think Square-Enix is the last publisher they should be trying to pick up, it would be useless for MS to make a move on them, all of their games multiplatform or not are associated with PlayStation and sell far better on PlayStation. If Sony were indeed trying to pick up a publisher (neither MS or Sony should be doing this imo) it would need to be a western publisher, that being said when you spend billions on a publisher and then take their game away from other platforms you've already diminished their value greatly. Yeah you'll get some converts but will it be enough to make up the cost long term? that's doubtful unless it's s company like take two where they'd get GTA but that would be too much because their net worth is a little more than 25% of Sony's net worth.

I know some may say "the fact that SE's games are associated with PlayStation is exactly why they should pick them up" but that really isn't a logical way to look at it IMO, if the majority of SE's games are already sold on PlayStation why should Sony pay billions to pick them up? the ONLY way that should happen is if MS or some other company like google or apple does try to make a move and Sony is allowed to bid too otherwise they should keep things how they are, SE knows where their bread is buttered in the console space.

John Wick

A

That's why I've been saying for ages that Sony need to integrate better. They should have a robust mobile team considering how many IP's they own. This is just an example but they could make an Uncharted Subway Surfers/Temple Run likes. There is huge money on the table that Sony have been very slow to realise.

NahaNago

Although I would love Sony to purchase Squareenix, they should have done it a long time ago. It doesn't make as much sense to do so. Since Sony is going for the push towards larger studios why not also create some new ones instead. Try to grab some Japanese developers who could create a team to make a jrpg, souls, quirky, or fighting game.

They just should buy some a large amount of stocks of Capcom and Squareeni so they can't be acquired.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Although I would love Sony to purchase Squareenix, they should have done it a long time ago. It doesn't make as much sense to do so. Since Sony is going for the push towards larger studios why not also create some new ones instead. Try to grab some Japanese developers who could create a team to make a jrpg, souls, quirky, or fighting game.

They just should buy some a large amount of stocks of Capcom and Squareeni so they can't be acquired.

That would work from a defensive perspective. Depending on how much stock they want to buy in each, they could fit Sega or others in there too.

Kokoloko85

They could easily do it... they made over 10 billion net income this year alone.

Buying Square adds 5,000 staff and then you need to lay off most of the publishing / PR and marketing or integrate them into PlayStation. It's a very time consuming a disruptive process that could get in the way of games actually being produced.

I think in the longterm either Sega or Square Enix would be good options or MiHoYo is another option.....
30% of Square business is films, anime and manga.... so it would fit with Sony's overall plans.

Agreed. Sony needs to be aggressive before the competition takes away these IP’s. Yakuza was born and bread on the Playstation, so was Persona and Kingdom Hearts. Would be sad for another company to come and make them exclusive to another console

Kokoloko85

That would work from a defensive perspective. Depending on how much stock they want to buy in each, they could fit Sega or others in there too.

This is actually a great alternative. Yes Sony making these companies and studios exclusive to Playstation is good, but Id rather just the competition not take them all for themselves.
Id dread to see Konami, Capcom, Sega or Square IP with the competition exclusively.

I think Nintendo has shares in Namco. And Playstation with FromSoftwares Parent company so they are safe lol

Plus isn’t there something about Japanese companies not being allowed to be bought out to foreign companies?

Bo_Hazem

Banned

This could help them migrate PS1-2-3 games to Android and iOS and bring more money to the mother division to take even more risky AAA projects.

It's no brainer when Sony Music with one mobile game has made more than $5 billion pure profit!

Kokoloko85

This could help them migrate PS1-2-3 games to Android and iOS and bring more money to the mother division to take even more risky AAA projects.

It's no brainer when Sony Music with one mobile game has made more than $5 billion pure profit!

I wish they migrate those PS1 games that are on the PS3/ PSP and Vita stores onto the PS4 and PS5. Plus those PS2 games that got ported on the PS3
Shouldnt be that hard and with 110+ million consoles, plenty money to be made

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Do a tencent and invest in every video game company possible so Microsoft or some other company can't easily buy it :messenger_tears_of_joy: .

I'm afraid that Tencent is already bigger than PS and it already has a movie division that is threatening Sony Pictures for game movies, which seen both partnering in more than one movie:

Also Venom was produced by Sony Columbia in association with Marvel and Tencent Pictures.

Dr Bass

A NeoGAF user that actually considers the cost side of things in all these acquisition discussions, and why it might end up not being a good business idea. I'm now your fan.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Acquiring studios does make sense for Sony since building a studio and then creating a game takes time and games are taking a lot longer to make these days. So they really needed to go hard the last 2 years in preparation for this gen but Sony tends to move at a snail pace with these things.
I'm afraid that Tencent is already bigger than PS and it already has a movie division that is threatening Sony Pictures for game movies, which seen both partnering in more than one movie:

Also Venom was produced by Sony Columbia in association with Marvel and Tencent Pictures.
I'm kinda not surprised. Tencent has access to China and the rest of the world. Plus the backing of the CCP. These video game companies should have worked harder to promote and create games, comics, tv shows, cartoons, and movies together. Sony is just moving too slow as usual.

Plus you kinda need to work with tencent to put your stuff in China these days.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Acquiring studios does make sense for Sony since building a studio and then creating a game takes time and games are taking a lot longer to make these days. So they really needed to go hard the last 2 years in preparation for this gen but Sony tends to move at a snail pace with these things.

I'm kinda not surprised. Tencent has access to China and the rest of the world. Plus the backing of the CCP. These video game companies should have worked harder to promote and create games, comics, tv shows, cartoons, and movies together. Sony is just moving too slow as usual.

This PS IP's migration to movies could be their greatest move instead of milking and fighting over Spider-man/Venom with Marvel. God of War (Kratos) is a much pristine character that surpasses anything from DC and Marvel imho, and creating their own comic books and super heroes should help them in games and movies. Also with them holding most of the anime scene they should integrate those games into Anime as well and in 10-20 years they can easily rival Marvel and DC.

NahaNago

This PS IP's migration to movies could be their greatest move instead of milking and fighting over Spider-man/Venom with Marvel. God of War (Kratos) is a much pristine character that surpasses anything from DC and Marvel imho, and creating their own comic books and super heroes should help them in games and movies. Also with them holding most of the anime scene they should integrate those games into Anime as well and in 10-20 years they can easily rival Marvel and DC.
I was thinking that they should have taken some baby steps with maybe a couple of a cartoons and anime series before jumping straight into the movies. To promote even further to the younger folk and otakus with regular gamers. Create that nostalgia for folks who might not be into games but are in to those shows. Then like you said in 10 to 20 years they could rival marvel or dc.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I was thinking that they should have taken some baby steps with maybe a couple of a cartoons and anime series before jumping straight into the movies. To promote even further to the younger folk and otakus with regular gamers. Create that nostalgia for folks who might not be into games but are in to those shows. Then like you said in 10 to 20 years they could rival marvel or dc.

With Funimation and soon enough Crunchyroll, they should seriously do more comics and anime! GOW works perfectly as well as we're not expecting him to die any time soon and could literally see him fighting with Pharaohs and other ancient gods.

919HFIFxIOL.jpg

gwar-1-pg-01-1143585.jpeg

NahaNago

With Funimation and soon enough Crunchyroll, they should seriously do more comics and anime! GOW works perfectly as well as we're not expecting him to die any time soon and could literally see him fighting with Pharaohs and other ancient gods.

919HFIFxIOL.jpg

gwar-1-pg-01-1143585.jpeg
That is what drives me crazy about Sony. They have the streaming rights to anime but they don't actually make any anime themselves that I'm aware of. Like seriously can't they just pay a studio to make a gravity rush anime or have a studio make a the last guardian anime movie. Plus these comics. I was barely even aware that Horizon Zero Dawn had a comic. So how about promote it even further on your playstation youtube account.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That is what drives me crazy about Sony. They have the streaming rights to anime but they don't actually make any anime themselves that I'm aware of. Like seriously can't they just pay a studio to make a gravity rush anime or have a studio make a the last guardian anime movie. Plus these comics. I was barely even aware that Horizon Zero Dawn had a comic. So how about promote it even further on your playstation youtube account.

Yup, then you'll get even more PS fans subscribing to those services to see more of their favorite characters!

Jen_yakzua

Kratos isn't as much of a notable character as, Spiderman which is part of the problems Sony has being that they have only one pristine character . which is why Spiderman PS4 is the most sold exclusive game in PS4 history, Now im not saying Spiderman is better than Kratos just that at this point Spiderman is a whole brand .

There is a great reason not to, they don't need them! They already have a great working relationship with them and unless someone else is actively trying to by square I see no need for Sony to dump all those resources into a company that already makes most of their money (from consoles) from PlayStation. MS isn't going to try to buy them, the headache in trying to buy a publicly traded Japanese company along with the fact that their games just don't sell as well on xbox means it makes zero sense for them to.

Dabaus

Banned
There is a great reason not to, they don't need them! They already have a great working relationship with them and unless someone else is actively trying to by square I see no need for Sony to dump all those resources into a company that already makes most of their money (from consoles) from PlayStation. MS isn't going to try to buy them, the headache in trying to buy a publicly traded Japanese company along with the fact that their games just don't sell as well on xbox means it makes zero sense for them to.
We dont know what MS will or wont do and MS isnt the only huge corporation trying to consolidate the industry. Tencent, Embracer, heck EA and others are potentials as well.

Top Bottom