• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Business Thread [Quarterlies, Annual Financials, Share price, Acquisitions etc.]

SaucyJack

Other interesting targets if they went for something bigger would be Capcom (market cap $8 billion) and Square Enix ($7 billion). These would make more sense than Epic especially given the games that typically do really well on PlayStation.

Also Sumo Digital (£500 million) and THQ Nordic (€ ??) have scooped up a lot of teams and ip in recent years.

I think I would like to see Sony invest in PlayStation studios given that there is a fair amount of consolidation going on, if they don’t acquire the big publishers will continue to do so. I think I’d like to see them do something big (Capcom) something medium (Sumo) and a bunch of smaller deals with long term partners (Housemarque, Supermassive, Bluepoint). They definitely have the cash to do so.

yurinka

Bryank75 Bryank75
Where did Jim Ryan say he wanted to lower costs? Do you mean that thing that many people say about AAA game budgets rising every generation because games get bigger, more complex and detailed while prices keeping basically keeping the same so maybe it would be idea to don't continue making the games longer and longer and maybe go back to a game length that is ok to most people but isn't that super long? It wasn't him mentioning some upcoming Sony strategy, it's just common sense.

Yeah, the timed stuff is absolutely pointless, particularly the one year stuff.

PlayStation has 13 studios and some of those studios have not produced very commercial games in quite a few years (London and Mm for example)

So if they were to focus on adding 3-5 really high quality studios, that would be excellent. Larian are awesome, From, Bluepoint, Housemarque and IOI..... those types of studios. Maybe someone like Turtle Rock to make a multiplayer shooter.

Not sure about London but Media Molecule is a small team, which at least before Dreams all their games were profitable (so I'd bet Dreams too) and received good reviews and several awards.

They don't need Turtle Rock. Sony doesn't need to enter the multiplayer shooter because it's saturated with highly successful competition. They already have covered this market having basically all the recent 3rd party best selling console friendly multiplayer shooters on PlayStation and many of them with a marketing deal and with these devs having PS as the platform where they sell the most (at least in consoles). CoD, Battlefield, Destiny, Fortnite, Overwatch, Apex, PUBG, Rainbow 6, The Division, Borderlands, Titanfall, Far Cry, Ghost Recon...

I think their strategy of focusing on non GaaS linear cinematic AAA action adventures works very well and should continue focusing there because they are the best ones of the market on that area and have less top tier competition there than in other game types like online shooters, sports, JRPGs or very creative small games, which already are very well covered by the third parties and indies.

I think they should grow their internal studios to help them to release more games and faster, maybe creating a 2nd or 3rd team inside these studio. Regarding adquiring new studios, I think their stragety of purchasing studios who already worked very well with them during several games is a good idea, because it something proven. Bluepoint for more great remakes, From for Demon's and Bloodborne sequels plus similar new IPs, Supermassive for Until Dawn sequels or similar new IPs, Sumo Digital for more Little Big Planet/Sackboy/helping whatever other studio because they are very flexible, Kojipro, Housemarque for great PS Plus/Now/VR2 small gems, Quantic Dream to make sequels of their previous games or similar new IPs, or even Remedy that even if they never worked with Sony they make similar games and with extra budget and help from other Sony teams who have a ton of knowledge of these type of games could help them reach a way higher potential.

Larian's genre is way more popular on PC than in consoles, so instead of being a good fit for Sony would be a better fit for a more PC focused publisher, like Microsoft. I think it also would be better for both Sony and MS to differientiate their content instead of trying to compete directly for the same niches. In the same way Nintendo created and followed their own unique path they dominate, I think Sony and MS have to do the same: trying to focus on dominating certain genres and market that don't overlap too much with the other ones. Regarding RPGs, I think Sony has the console-like JRPG and MS the PC-like western RPG and they should focus on that.

Last edited:

onesvenus

What a wonderful post, mate. I think you've missed this, Bravia Core, Sony's new streaming service that is promised to provide as good/better than Bluray movies at 80Mbps and to have extended, IMAX coverage of movies that's never been seen before.
Sony themselves said you'd need a 115MB/s (in bytes, not bits) connection to use that bitrate. That's almost a 1Gbps connection.
In Spain that's the fastest you can have but good luck getting anywhere near that speed.

I'd say that for the average user the quality won't be near UHD BR at all.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony themselves said you'd need a 115MB/s (in bytes, not bits) connection to use that bitrate. That's almost a 1Gbps connection.
In Spain that's the fastest you can have but good luck getting anywhere near that speed.

I'd say that for the average user the quality won't be near UHD BR at all.

Most people won't have that, but at least you should have the best version possible. Heard of Netflix capping streaming to 5Mbps lately for example.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It was massively cheap back then, and $10B now is still a great price. The potential is still gigantic, Sony could dominate the CGI scene in both movies and other stuff. Sony Imageworks already massive and does VFX for WB, Disney, Marvel, and others. NASA and other agencies use UE!

This is a Sony deal, not a PlayStation deal.

Sony imageworks also did “Love, Death & Robots” for Netflix.

Other interesting targets if they went for something bigger would be Capcom (market cap $8 billion) and Square Enix ($7 billion). These would make more sense than Epic especially given the games that typically do really well on PlayStation.

Also Sumo Digital (£500 million) and THQ Nordic (€ ??) have scooped up a lot of teams and ip in recent years.

I think I would like to see Sony invest in PlayStation studios given that there is a fair amount of consolidation going on, if they don’t acquire the big publishers will continue to do so. I think I’d like to see them do something big (Capcom) something medium (Sumo) and a bunch of smaller deals with long term partners (Housemarque, Supermassive, Bluepoint). They definitely have the cash to do so.
Just to put things into perspective, Sony's entire operating profit (not revenue) for the ps4 (2013 - 2020) was 11B$. Does anyone seriously believe they will spend it on a publisher that makes most of it's money with multiplatform games?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Just to put things into perspective, Sony's entire operating profit (not revenue) for the ps4 (2013 - 2020) was 11B$. Does anyone seriously believe they will spend it on a publisher that makes most of it's money with multiplatform games?
Are you sure about that?

Because it seems like you are off by quite a lot.

Do you want a link to their accounts and a calculator?

Operating profit for the last 2 years alone were 7.78 Billion and 8.048 Billion dollars....

Bryank75

Banned
If they bought CBS and MGM, Sony will be the king of media
Even just ViacomCBS... It would give them The Godfather, Mission Impossible, Comedy Central, MTV, Terminator, Titanic, Wolf of WallStreet etc. I might have put it in the OP.

But added to what they already own, it would give them the broadest content base and in combination with their anime, it would be very impressive IMO.

Edit: Actually, out of all the aquisitions, that one is my favorite possibility. Even over any single gaming one. But Kadokawa is a close second. From a business perspective.

Last edited:

vivftp

OP missing the biggest get of all if Sony were to buy Viacom CBS - Star Trek! I would love for Sony to be in charge of Star Trek as I'd give my left nut for a AAA Trek game. I say hand the gaming license to Cory Barlog and let him go wild

Bryank75

Banned
OP missing the biggest get of all if Sony were to buy Viacom CBS - Star Trek! I would love for Sony to be in charge of Star Trek as I'd give my left nut for a AAA Trek game. I say hand the gaming license to Cory Barlog and let him go wild
I didn't even think of it, yeah that could be something special. Like Mass Effect on steroids...

onesvenus

Most people won't have that, but at least you should have the best version possible. Heard of Netflix capping streaming to 5Mbps lately for example.
Yeah, yeah. Netflix is the worst.
At least they will be prepared for the future when everybody has faster internet connections. It seems like a good move to anticipate the market. Let's see if it's a solid step and they don't discontinue it in some years.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah, yeah. Netflix is the worst.
At least they will be prepared for the future when everybody has faster internet connections. It seems like a good move to anticipate the market. Let's see if it's a solid step and they don't discontinue it in some years.

Netflix is good, but seems too much people are piling up on it. This Bravia Core seems more "exclusive" to Bravia XR so far, also it has one main feature that I needed in Netflix, being able to rent/buy latest movies instead of getting random shit. Seems like you get 2 years for free with each Bravia XR tv or 10 redeemable movies from their 300+ selections and with 100+ unlimited streamable content. I don't expect it to be on par with Netflix in terms of market share but more like a nice addition that's a bit conservative for Bravia XR tv's. It's conservative as it's using its own Sony Pictures products, so they're playing it safe. I personally can't see them expanding from there and they'll remain exclusive to Bravia TV's but probably Xperia phones and PS5. It's a safe exclusivity that won't cost them too much and makes sense if you still buy/rent new movies there.

I'm personally excited for it, as it's a nice surprise because I'm already aiming for one of those Bravia XR tv's, although X900H has been a shit show so far. Maybe that's why they had to ditch all their current processors as many previous reports said that they just can't make them work with HDMI 2.1 except the old X1 processor on X900H.

Last edited:

onesvenus

I'm personally excited for it, as it's a nice surprise because I'm already aiming for one of those Bravia XR tv's, although X900H has been a shit show so far. Maybe that's why they had to ditch all their current processors as many previous reports said that they just can't make them work with HDMI 2.1 except the old X1 processor on X900H.
I'm so glad I didn't follow your advice on buying an X900H instead of the LG CX 😜
Having said that, a couple of friends have that TV and like it so I think that the issues with it, as with the LG CX, might be overexaggerated

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm so glad I didn't follow your advice on buying an X900H instead of the LG CX 😜
Having said that, a couple of friends have that TV and like it so I think that the issues with it, as with the LG CX, might be overexaggerated

The only noticeable issue is VRR, and only needed it so far with one game, AC Valhalla. No other game showed tearing, but I didn't buy Dirt 5 for example. If there is tearing then it's not noticeable. I'm still using my 2016 Sony X70D 4K HDR, budget but still solid. :messenger_winking_tongue:

SaucyJack

Nah, you’re selling it short.

Notwithstanding that profit for a single generation when comparing to a long-term investment seems meaningless ..... Games and Network Services has grown to about $3 billion/year profit, give or take. The PS4 generation has been a major driver for growth in profitability for GNS. FY ending March 21 could comfortably exceed that $3 billion given the last couple of quarters results.

vivftp

One thing to keep in mind when discussing the viability of Sony purchasing another publisher is the fact that they're making big moves in the area of creating TV shows and movies based on video game IP. IIRC it was reported there are currently 10 projects in the works. Acquiring another publisher doesn't only give them new IP they can make games from, but also IP that can be used to make other types of media.

Just as an example, Sony likely make a pretty penny off of all those Resident Evil movies, and that's without owning the IP.

Bryank75

Banned
One thing to keep in mind when discussing the viability of Sony purchasing another publisher is the fact that they're making big moves in the area of creating TV shows and movies based on video game IP. IIRC it was reported there are currently 10 projects in the works. Acquiring another publisher doesn't only give them new IP they can make games from, but also IP that can be used to make other types of media.

Just as an example, Sony likely make a pretty penny off of all those Resident Evil movies, and that's without owning the IP.
Yeah, Capcom has some very adaptable IP's. Both to film and anime... the IP's are legendary in gaming too, so it represents a lot of gaing history too.

I guess with the recent success of Sonic, Sega could have some of it's IP's adapted too, like Persona and Yakuza etc.

ksdixon

I feel there are way too many potentially powerful people sniffing around for mergers & aqqusitions.

Not only is there Tencent and MS each with bags of mega-money, but Amazon with Luna, Google with Stadia, Facebook with Occolus/FB Games, then there's THQ Nordic/Embracer Games over here steadily building a war chest of IP. The Saudi Prince just bought SNK. That's aside from other stuff like EA swallowing CodeMasters, WB going on sale temporarily...

If I were Sony I think I'd lock-down the studios they have relationships with right now (HouseMarquee, BluePoint come to mind immediately), and then I'd grab ones that were Sony in PS3/4 era and have since gone multiplatform (Quantic Dream, SuperMassive, and I would have said Ready At Dawn if FB didn't buy them already), just to stop any ''death by a thousand small cuts'' syndrome.

Then, assuming they'd be open to purchase, I think that the "Japanese 4" are where they need to look, within gaming. Capcom, Konami, SEGA & SquareEnix. All apart from SEGA would give Sony ownership over what I call "PS-Associated" IP like DMC, RE, MGS, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider. And SEGA just have a war chest of IP unto themselves, that I would hope Sony would exploit to their advantage.

Outside of gaming, I think Kadokawa, CBS, MGM are all smart pick-ups to lock-down the anime marketplace and add to films/tv shows divisions of Sony; which they can then turn around and leverage for games IP.

GonSama

Kadokawa it's a perfect fit considering Sony's plans of taking over the anime industry (From Software is an awesome "bonus").

Besides that, the studios we already talked about are all good acquisitions:

-Media.Vision (Wild Arms, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, Valkyria Chronicles 4)
This could be their JRPG studio and the comeback of Wild Arms.

-Arc System Works (Guilty Gear, BlazBlue)
Need a fighting game franchise? Guilty Gear (their IP) was always associated with Playstation and their amazing work with it and Dragon Ball FighterZ shows they would be a great purchase
Or maybe PS All Stars 2... :D

-Level-5 (Ni no Kuni, Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud, Dragon Quest VIII)
Another great studio for JRPGs and Action RPGs.
Their plans to move to a multimedia approach (games, animes and movies) could work with Sony too.

-Bluepoint Games (DS Remake, SoC Remake, Uncharted / GOW Collection)
Most obvious purchase.
Amazing work with Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls.

-Housemarque (Returnal, Resogun, Nex Machina)
It all depends in how Returnal turns out.

-Supermassive Games (Until Dawn)
Their partnership with Bandai didn't turned out like they expect it to be.
Maybe they can deliver another "great hit" with Sony.

-Quantic Dream (Detroit)
This one was obvious in PS3 gen, but now just seems unlikely. They got that $$$ from NetEase and seem to want to remain independent.

-Ember Labs (Kena)
Again, wait for the release of Kena, but their movie expertise could be great for SIE future projects.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Kadokawa it's a perfect fit considering Sony's plans of taking over the anime industry (From Software is an awesome "bonus").

Besides that, the studios we already talked about are all good acquisitions:

-Media.Vision (Wild Arms, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, Valkyria Chronicles 4)
This could be their JRPG studio and the comeback of Wild Arms.

-Arc System Works (Guilty Gear, BlazBlue)
Need a fighting game franchise? Guilty Gear (their IP) was always associated with Playstation and their amazing work with it and Dragon Ball FighterZ shows they would be a great purchase
Or maybe PS All Stars 2... :D

-Level-5 (Ni no Kuni, Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud, Dragon Quest VIII)
Another great studio for JRPGs and Action RPGs.
Their plans to move to a multimedia approach (games, animes and movies) could work with Sony too.

-Bluepoint Games (DS Remake, SoC Remake, Uncharted / GOW Collection)
Most obvious purchase.
Amazing work with Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls.

-Housemarque (Returnal, Resogun, Nex Machina)
It all depends in how Returnal turns out.

-Supermassive Games (Until Dawn)
Their partnership with Bandai didn't turned out like they expect it to be.
Maybe they can deliver another "great hit" with Sony.

-Quantic Dream (Detroit)
This one was obvious in PS3 gen, but now just seems unlikely. They got that $$$ from NetEase and seem to want to remain independent.

-Ember Labs (Kena)
Again, wait for the release of Kena, but their movie expertise could be great for SIE future projects.
Great picks. Are there any others you'd think about? A shooter studio or an RPG studio like Larian? Or would that cripple them due to their association with PC?

diffusionx

Gold Member
sRvb8NJ.jpg

Keep that stock price going in one direction Sony.

GonSama

Great picks. Are there any others you'd think about? A shooter studio or an RPG studio like Larian? Or would that cripple them due to their association with PC?

There's no shortage of RPG studios, but for WRPG (what I think you are referring to) the only one that comes to my mind is Larian.
For shooters, I think they should use the new Guerrila team to revive Killzone (franchise with more than 10M copies sold).

Just look at some of the IPs that Sony owns:
-Action/Adventure (Open Worlds):
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Ghost of Tsushima
Gravity Rush
Horizon Zero Dawn
Infamous
The Getaway
Shadow of the Colossus
And there's also Insomniac's Spider-Man

-Action/Adventure (linear):
Concrete Genie
Detroit : Become Human
Ico
The Last Guardian
The Last of Us
The Mark of Kri
The Order: 1886
Uncharted

-Platforms:
Ape Escape
Astro Bot
Jak and Daxter
Knack
LittleBigPlanet
LocoRoco
Ratchet & Clank
Sly Cooper
Tearaway

-RPGs:
Alundra
Arc the Lad
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
White Knight Chronicles
Wild Arms

-Action RPGs:
Bloodborne
Dark Cloud
Demon's Souls
Folklore
Nioh
Rogue Galaxy

-Hack/Slash:
Genji
*God of War (they are changing this, but the combact still has that feeling)
Heavenly Sword
MediEvil

-Racing:
Destruction AllStars
Destruction Derby
Driveclub
Gran Turismo
ModNation Racers
MotorStorm
Twisted Metal
Wipeout

-Shooters:
Alienation
Killzone
Resistance
Returnal (roguelike)
SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs
Warhawk

-Arcade/Shoot'em up:
Nex Machina
Resogun

-Stealth:
Syphon Filter

-Fighter:
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

-Horror / Survival Horror:
Siren
Until Dawn

-Sports:
Everybody's Golf
MLB: The Show

-Party:
Buzz!
SingStar

-Strategy:
Fat Princess

-Rhythm:
Patapon

-Interactive Fiction (Thriller):
Erica

-Game creation system:
Dreams

They will always create new ones (they were the company that created more IPs this generation), but they need more manpower (aka studios) to work in some of these.
Looking at the recent past, they left RPGs with other studios (Sega - Persona, SE - Final Fantasy timed exclusive bull****), Action Rpgs (Koei - Nioh, From Software - Bloodborne), Horror (Supermassive - Until Dawn) and I don't think they can rely on this forever.
And worst, they closed studios like Evolution (awesome for arcade racing games, one genre that doesn't have many companies working on), lost Toyama (Japan Studios) and seem to be forgetting their AA output.

At least they got Insomniac for a bargain, but they need more diversity.

They should at least have 1 studio to cover each of the genres they were always associated with (JRPGs and so on).
There's no need to spend millions in genres that they were never really known for (and the majority of the playerbase is on PC) and other companies can fill that "space" (CDPR, Bioware, Capcom [Dragons Dogma 2] and others).

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Plausible Future Acquisition Targets

Epic Games - With already 1.4% of a stake in the company at a cost of 250 million dollars, and following on from the purchase of Audiokinetic.... it could be possible that Sony will look to increase their stake in Epic either gradually or in one deal, to get it above 51% and thus controlling the company.

Bluepoint games - After a long partnership and recently launching the very well received Demons Souls remake, it would make sense for Sony to purchase the Texas based developer. They have been proven to be technically gifted and can generate massive nostalgia and hype around impeccable remakes and may well make their own full games based on all their experience with multiple franchises. This would be very much in the mold of how Insomniac was bought.

Kadokawa Corporation - After the purchases of Funimation, Madman Anime Group and soon Crunchyroll, and considering Sony already own Aniplex and the associated IP (Full Metal Alchemist, Sword Art Online, Demon Slayer, Angel Beats! Etc.) it would make sense for them to continue to complete their stranglehold on the entire sector and would also net them From Soft, which would be highly beneficial due to existing IP arrangements, possible sequels and remakes through Bluepoint. Asking price would be at least 2 Billion dollars.

Id love for them to do this, plus buy HouseMarque and Kojima Productions. Epic I could live without even though it was be the smartest but Bluepoint and Kadokawa + Kojima and House Marque would be amazing. Plus Sony has worked with all of them exclusively before multiple times.

GonSama

Believing the rumors about the new San Diego Studio (Jaffe almost confirmed it) and Guerrilla Games second team, they could have something like this:

Bend - New AAA Open World game
Insomniac team 1 - Spider 2
Sucker Punch - Ghost of Tsushima 2 / new Infamous
Guerrila team 1 - Horizon 2

Naughty Dog - new Project
San Diego new studio - Uncharted spin off

-Platforms:
Insomniac team 2 - new Ratchet
Studio Japan / Asobi Team - Astro Bot full (non VR) game
Media Molecule - new project

-RPGs:
new Wild Arms (Media.Vision)
new Yokai Watch (Level 5)

-Action RPGs:
new Bloodborne (From Software)
new Ni no Kuni/Dark Cloud (Level 5)

-Hack/Slash:
Santa Monica - new God of War
MediEvil 2 remake (Other Ocean)

-Racing:
Destruction AllStars (Lucid)
Polyphony Digital - Gran Turismo 7
Kart game (Sumo Digital)

-Shooters:
Guerrila team 2 - new Killzone
Returnal (Housemarque)

-Stealth:
Bend (after their new project) - new Syphon Filter

-Fighters:
Guilty Gear Strive and maybe PS all stars 2 (ArcSystems)

Until Dawn 2 (Supermassive)

-Sports:
new Everybody's Golf (Clap Hanz)
San Diego - MLB: The Show

-Party:
new IP (Wish Studios or any of the usual partners in this kind of game)

New projects:
London Studio - new game (they said they would do something besides VR, maybe a new The Getaway)
Pixelopus - new game (no idea)
Bluepoint - remake of any PS classic?

They still have exclusives like Persona, FFXVI (timed - 1 year?), Project Athia (timed - 2 years?), Kena (timed - 1 year?) and others.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Believing the rumors about the new San Diego Studio (Jaffe almost confirmed it) and Guerrilla Games second team, they could have something like this:

Bend - Days Gone 2
Insomniac team 1 - Spider 2
Sucker Punch - Ghost of Tsushima 2 / new Infamous
Guerrila team 1 - Horizon 2

Naughty Dog - new Project
San Diego new studio - Uncharted spin off

-Platforms:
Insomniac team 2 - new Ratchet
Studio Japan Astro Team - Astro Bot full (non VR) game
Media Molecule - new project

-RPGs:
new Wild Arms (Media.Vision)
new Yokai Watch (Level 5)

-Action RPGs:
new Bloodborne (From Software)
new Ni no Kuni/Dark Cloud (Level 5)

-Hack/Slash:
Santa Monica - new God of War
MediEvil 2 remake (Other Ocean)

-Racing:
Destruction AllStars (Lucid)
Polyphony Digital - Gran Turismo 7
Kart game (Sumo Digital)

-Shooters:
Guerrila team 2 - new Killzone
Returnal (Housemarque)

-Stealth:
Bend (after Days Gone 2) - new Syphon Filter

-Fighters:
Guilty Gear Strive and maybe PS all stars 2 (ArcSystems)

Until Dawn 2 (Supermassive)

-Sports:
new Everybody's Golf (Clap Hanz and Japan Studio)
San Diego - MLB: The Show

-Party:
new IP (any of the usual partners in this kind of game)

New projects:
London Studio new project (they said they would do something besides VR, maybe a new The Getaway)
Pixelopus - new game (no idea)
Studio Japan AAA team - new game (no idea)
Bluepoint - remake of any PS classic?

They still have exclusives like Persona, Judgment, FFXVI (timed - 1 year?), Project Athia (timed - 2 years?), Kena (timed - 1 year?) and others.

Any thoughts?
Seems like a solid list, Colin and a few others seem to believe Socom is being made somewhere.

I also think Kojima is making another exclusive or console exclusive at the least.

Santa Monica may have a second team too, not 100%.

If Bluepoint is doing MGS remakes, I'll be in heaven. Or as Aris said one time 'You'd have to put condoms on your nipples'!

ksdixon

Whom made TLOU1's Factions MP? It wasn't the main ND team. right?

We really need a standalone TLOU Factions game. Make it free2play and fill it with DLC cosmetics, weapons, maps, game modes etc. With the original MP going strong something like 7 years later now, across PS3 and PS4, surely they're onto a good thing here and would clean-up if they just got it out the door?

Bryank75

Banned
Updated!

Please look at the second post (reserved space) for my feature on Sony cash growth and my estimates for the quarterly report on February 2nd.

It gives insight into how Sony is generating so much cash lately.

Last edited:

zedinen

Q3 Gaming Revenue
1.Sony $8.78bn
2.Nintendo $6.07bn
3.Microsoft $5.03bn

Avg rate $1 = ¥104.5

Q3 Sony Breakdown
1.PlayStation $8.45bn
2.Mobile Gaming $0.33bn

(SMEJ, Aniplex, Fate/Grand Order...)

LTD
PS5 4.5M
PS4 115.1M SW ~ 1.5bn
PS PLUS 47.4M
PSN 114M active

Q3 PlayStation (G&NS)
Sales $8.45bn
Ope Inc $0.76bn
ROIC 34.3% (FY20 FCT)
Free CF $3.65B (F18+19)

Q3 Sales Breakdown
1.SW $4.63bn
-Ad $2.45bn
-Dg $1.68bn
-Ph $0.48bn
2.HW $2.29bn
3.NS $0.92bn
4.OT $0.61bn

NS (PS Plus, PS Now ...)
OT (Peripherals, PS VR )

Q3 Sony Corporation
Sales $25.80bn
Ope Inc $3.43bn
Net Inc $3.55bn
Cash on Hand $44.8bn

THEAP99

Banned
Q3 Gaming Revenue
1.Sony $8.78bn
2.Nintendo $6.07bn
3.Microsoft $5.03bn

Avg rate $1 = ¥104.5

Q3 Sony Breakdown
1.PlayStation $8.45bn
2.Mobile Gaming $0.33bn

LTD
PS5 4.5M
PS4 115.1M SW ~ 1.5bn
PS PLUS 47.4M
PSN 114M active

Q3 PlayStation (G&NS)
Sales $8.45bn
Ope Inc $0.76bn
ROIC 34.3% (FY20 FCT)
Free CF $3.65B (F18+19)

Q3 Sales Breakdown
1.SW $4.63bn
-Ad $2.45bn
-Dg $1.68bn
-Ph $0.48bn
2.HW $2.29bn
3.NS $0.92bn
4.OT $0.61bn

NS (PS Plus, PS Now ...)
OT (Peripherals, PS VR )

Q3 Sony Corporation
Sales $25.80bn
Ope Inc $3.43bn
Net Inc $3.55bn
Cash on Hand $44.8bn
Impressive stuff. I hope this means we get more acquisitions and less cross gen games. Let's get that ps5 production higher !!

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Q3 Gaming Revenue
1.Sony $8.78bn
2.Nintendo $6.07bn
3.Microsoft $5.03bn

Avg rate $1 = ¥104.5

Q3 Sony Breakdown
1.PlayStation $8.45bn
2.Mobile Gaming $0.33bn

LTD
PS5 4.5M
PS4 115.1M SW ~ 1.5bn
PS PLUS 47.4M
PSN 114M active

Q3 PlayStation (G&NS)
Sales $8.45bn
Ope Inc $0.76bn
ROIC 34.3% (FY20 FCT)
Free CF $3.65B (F18+19)

Q3 Sales Breakdown
1.SW $4.63bn
-Ad $2.45bn
-Dg $1.68bn
-Ph $0.48bn
2.HW $2.29bn
3.NS $0.92bn
4.OT $0.61bn

NS (PS Plus, PS Now ...)
OT (Peripherals, PS VR )

Q3 Sony Corporation
Sales $25.80bn
Ope Inc $3.43bn
Net Inc $3.55bn
Cash on Hand $44.8bn
Where is the thread? I was surprised when I clicked and the date was old. Incredible year for Playstation (and gaming) but it could have been better without the shortages.

Bryank75

Banned
Q3 Gaming Revenue
1.Sony $8.78bn
2.Nintendo $6.07bn
3.Microsoft $5.03bn

Avg rate $1 = ¥104.5

Q3 Sony Breakdown
1.PlayStation $8.45bn
2.Mobile Gaming $0.33bn

LTD
PS5 4.5M
PS4 115.1M SW ~ 1.5bn
PS PLUS 47.4M
PSN 114M active

Q3 PlayStation (G&NS)
Sales $8.45bn
Ope Inc $0.76bn
ROIC 34.3% (FY20 FCT)
Free CF $3.65B (F18+19)

Q3 Sales Breakdown
1.SW $4.63bn
-Ad $2.45bn
-Dg $1.68bn
-Ph $0.48bn
2.HW $2.29bn
3.NS $0.92bn
4.OT $0.61bn

NS (PS Plus, PS Now ...)
OT (Peripherals, PS VR )

Q3 Sony Corporation
Sales $25.80bn
Ope Inc $3.43bn
Net Inc $3.55bn
Cash on Hand $44.8bn
Where did you find these figures?

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Where did you find these figures?
Someone on era is posting all the details with the pdfs here

jhjfss

8.45B vs 5B for MS. So sony made 69% more revenue. I thought it would be more considering ps4 and ps5 selling 2x their counterparts.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Do MS still bundle the likes of surface pro into gaming?

Don't forget MS also have Minecraft which makes a lot of revenue across all platforms.
Yes, I believe they do!

I'll be updating the second post and OP later with accurate Cash on hand figures and breakdowns hopefully!

Last edited:

Kerotan

Yes, I believe they do!

I'll be updating the second post and OP later with accurate Cash on hand figures and breakdowns hopefully!
Thanks. Yeah MS are always trying to prop up this divisions figures so the gap doesn't look as big as it is in reality.

Top Bottom