• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Bungie acquisition saw more Twitter discussion than Microsoft Activision Blizzard deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Oh the irony
Disney River GIF

skit_data

Surprising to be honest.

The Bungie acquisition just came and went. Everything regarding multiplatform and future games was explained in the blogpost. It was over in about 3 days.

The Activision/Blizzard acquisition on the other hand had a lot of back and forth wether the games would remain multiplat and to this day it’s still speculative to some extent.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
They’re doing everything they can to get the acquisition approved and that can’t be back-tracked later from my understanding, if they say games will still come to PS now then that’s what’ll happen later too, I think they’ll use Activision Blizzard the same way as Mojang, it’s what bring in the most money.
But they aren't saying ALL games will be coming to PS. It's silly to think that would happen. In fact that said SOME games would still come to PS. There will be exclusives for sure.

But they aren't saying ALL games will be coming to PS. It's silly to think that would happen. In fact that said SOME games would still come to PS. There will be exclusives for sure.

It's no different to the Bungie deal. They left no room for interpretation with the main talking points. Destiny is staying on Xbox. COD is staying on PS. That's it. The other games are probably only going to be Diablo and Overwatch, just because platforms were already announced. Assume everything else will be exclusive.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

There were a lot people making fun of Sony's purchase of Bungie too. Almost 4 billion for a single studio and IP, and all future games that they are currently working on were outright stated to remain multiplatform, even on 'rival consoles'.

Whereas MS purchased all of Zenimax, a whole damn publisher, with several studios and maybe a dozen valuable IP, all for only 7 billion. And their future games were confirmed to *not* be on Playstation.

Last edited:
There were a lot people making fun of Sony's purchase of Bungie too. Almost 4 billion for a single studio and IP, and all future games that they are currently working on were outright stated to remain multiplatform, even on 'rival consoles'.

Whereas MS purchased all of Zenimax, a whole damn publisher, with several studios and maybe a dozen valuable IP, all for only 7 billion. And their future games were confirmed to *not* be on Playstation.

It was outright stated they were going to be multiplatform. Jim makes no mention of rival consoles.

VN1X

Banned
Of course it was. One of the most bizarre acquisitions ever.
Not sure why you are getting flack because this is 100% true.

"we are acquiring Bungie but they will still be independent and make games for other platforms but help us with live service product development" riiiiiight.

EDMIX

Agreed. I don't even know how much of that deal even hinges on those games even staying mulitplatform as I just don't think a lot of that matters to close the deal. Its not like when Disney bought FOX the US gov was like "ok slow down.....you leave the Simpsons alone and we'll ok the deal" lol

I think stuff like Call Of Duty was always going to stay and it was the plan of MS to do it that way or something. So I think its silly now to expect all to appear on PS, but I believe thats only cause they are still competing against Sony like this. If PS5 ends up moving more units and by a lot world wide, I think MS might be done with the whole exclusive eco system thing and just be 3rd party and put titles on all platforms as they wouldn't have much to really gain continuing to limit how much they can make. So I think they'll be exclusive for now.

How long MS maintains that? who knows. I knew they would end up putting all their games on PC and people kept holding on to this idea that they just WANTED to limit their growth, but that can only go on for so long, like you need to show results with that method in order to continue that, so this gen imho, if they end up just becoming a 3rd party publisher, might have to do with how they do with Series X.

Topher

Gold Member

The problem with that comparison is the fact that Sony wasn't just buying a single studio and IP. Sony stated clearly that a primary goal was to beef up their live service, cloud expertise and Bungie clearly has that. This kind of thing isn't unheard of. Epic was in a similar situation not too long ago and allowed Tencent to purchase 40% of its stock and gained invaluable expertise that led to what Fortnite is now.

And let's be clear, Sony wasn't the one in a desperate position to beef up its first party offerings. That was Microsoft. Sony is the one lagging behind Microsoft in the other areas that Bungie addresses. Both acquisitions make sense in their own right.

EDMIX

The problem with that comparison is the fact that Sony wasn't just buying a single studio and IP. Sony stated clearly that a primary goal was to beef up their live service, cloud expertise and Bungie clearly has that. This kind of thing isn't unheard of. Epic was in a similar situation not too long ago and allowed Tencent to purchase 40% of its stock and gained invaluable expertise that led to what Fortnite is now.

And let's be clear, Sony wasn't the one in a desperate position to beef up its first party offerings. That was Microsoft. Sony is the one lagging behind Microsoft in the other areas that Bungie addresses. Both acquisitions make sense in their own right.

The most logical post in this whole thread.

Both are making purchases to correct things.

I'm almost certain it's not for the reasons people want to believe. This was roundly mocked as an overpayment, and it remains so. What has landed the biggest is obvious from the fact I don't see people begging the U.S. President, the FTC and U.S. Senators to please stop the Bungie deal from going through.

This was roundly mocked as an overpayment, and it remains so.

You're a bit of a numpty if you actually believe this is the reason why it had so much engagement.

What has landed the biggest is obvious from the fact I don't see people begging the U.S. President, the FTC and U.S. Senators to please stop the Bungie deal from going through.

Confirmation bias is a hell of a drug

Last edited:

yurinka

It's no different to the Bungie deal. They left no room for interpretation with the main talking points. Destiny is staying on Xbox. COD is staying on PS. That's it. The other games are probably only going to be Diablo and Overwatch, just because platforms were already announced. Assume everything else will be exclusive.
In the case of Bungie they also have been very clear mentioning that their future games will also be multiplatform, and specified that they plan to release at least one (so may release more) new IPs before 2025. Even if Spencer or the president of MS specified that CoD will continue on PS, as I remember in the SEC filling they were more open not limiting it to CoD. They said there that the plans were to follow the example of Minecraft/Mojang: being acquired by MS didn't affect their full multiplatform approach for future games or dlcs.

It was outright stated they were going to be multiplatform. Jim makes no mention of rival consoles.
When announced the deal both Jim Ryan (in gameindustry.biz interview) and Bungie (also in the related Q&A posted on their website) specified that current and future Bungie projects will be on rival consoles. They stated that their games and dlcs won't be PS exclusive.

What they didn't mention was exclusivity for including Bungie games on game subs, betas or demos on PS or bundles with PS. Sony may get this.

Yes, even if with different goals both acquisitions make sense.

MS focused on beefing up first party offerings in terms of number of top AAA IPs and dev teams because before the acquisitions madness they were way behind Sony and had to match their offerings. And obviosly they got a lot of content to fill GP. I assume with this move they want to get closer to Sony game subs numbers and console userbase numbers while also growing on PC and specially mobile.

One of the main current goals of Sony on a global corportate level (not only in gaming) is to push and enhace ther digital stores and services, and as part of it to acquire IP/content for them. But on gaming the only big IP they bought until now is Destiny. More than buying IPs, they bought very experienced teams on creating new IP or developing exising IP (Bungie, Housemarque, Haven, Firesprite, Lasengle) plus support teams and manpower (Nixxes, Valkyrie) to help further develop this IP. All these teams would help them grow not only in console but in VR, PC and mobile, secondary strategical areas where they also are growing.

Halo and Destiny were a revolution for console FPS games and online MP on console. And also GaaS on console with Destiny. Plus we have to remember Destiny if I'm not wrong keeps the record of the fastest selling new IP ever so as new IP creators with Destiny and Halo they are top notch too. Sony bought them to also share this knowledge and expertise with their otther gamedev teams.

That was the kind of expertise they bought, not cloud expertise. They don't need to buy cloud expertise because they already have the most experienced ones: PS Now was the pioneer on console cloud gaming, and was made by the pioneers of PC cloud gaming, who Sony bought many years ago to build PS Now: Gaikai and Onlive.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Despite MS working 24/7 with their marketing department for non stop engagement, constantly going out there to be in the news, always trying to cultivate a good guy image, fact is people care more about what happens to PlayStation.

Being annoyingly vocal like some Mickey Mouse league activists doesn’t translate to reality as much as people think.

Obviously AB acquisition is a bigger deal, but mostly because of what it means for the rest of the industry and for PlayStation, not what it means for Xbox.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom