• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Bluepoint Games Acquisition Rumors Backed Up By Tipster Despite Recent Denial

Javthusiast

Banned
*waiting for random tuesday to strike with the sony event announcement*

Meme Reaction GIF by Silicon Valley

Papacheeks

Banned
My sentiments are largely the same. Unless they showed Sony some bomb ass new IP that they want to make, what is the point?

You dont think Sony was impressed with their work on Shadow/Demons souls? And I can bet you so far with Kojima's tease that Metal Gear is in good hands, than I don't know what else to tell you.

A lot of people on here are losing the plot with what owning bluepoint could do for Playstation. Imagine a re-imagining of a old PS1 IP?

I would be down for a new Re-imagining of Legend of dragoon, meaning new combat system, re-imagined map, re-imagined story even with more fleshed out sections similar to FF7R.

How is this any different than what Vicarious visions, and Toys 4 Bob did with Crash,Spyro, and Tony hawk? I'm all for it.

Interfectum

My sentiments are largely the same. Unless they showed Sony some bomb ass new IP that they want to make, what is the point?
What is the point of buying an extremely talented studio that has a history of producing amazing remakes? Am I reading this right?

yurinka

They made a great, successful job remaking or remastering several Sony classics. They are the best studio in the world to make remakes, and Sony has a great library of classics that can be remade. Remakes that make sense now that Sony plans to do movies about these old games, or that they are expaning to PC. Example: Sony is making a MGS movie. A new, great, exclusive MGS remake would be great for them.

Buying them Sony makes sure the best studio to make remakes is always available for them without having to worry they get busy with a game for somebody else or that somebody else may buy them.

jakinov

Nah. They will remake a set number of games on PS5 and lets say they aim for the PS3 generation.

Demon Souls, then go and make Killzone 2 remake, The Last Of Us 1 remake and end the generation with a remake of Metal Gear Solid 4 or some shit.

PS6 generation, for all we know shortly after The Last Of Us 3 release on PS5, we get a rumor that Bluepoint is remaking The Last Of Us 2 running on The Last Of Us 3 engine, they proceed to then remake Ghost Of Tsushima, Spiderman 1... do you not see how such a team can stay in business remaking games several generations back or?

They can go deeper with the PS1 generation with Syphon Filter or PS2 generation with The Getaway or Sly remake, the point is simply that as time goes on, games will get dated and older and by the time we are at PS6 or PS7, it will be time to remake those PS4 and PS5 games bud, it means this team will always have work.

1 team isn't going to fucking remake the entire companies games man, which means they must pick and choose what they focus on, which means this concept of "run out of games" doesn't really make much sense as time continuing means they will always have a pool of older titles to reach from as TIME ITSELF will continue to date those games.....

So many, many fans can see just why Sony wants Bluepoint as a team they own in house as I don't think Sony has plans to stop remaking, they might plan to do that every single generation... I don't see why not tbh.

jakinov jakinov I don't think you understand how hard it is to come by a team that actually can remake and port titles this good.

Sony is correct to buy them. Its not a normal thing to have a team really put out that many ports, remakes, remasters etc at a great quality like they do.

So them not making their own IP, doesn't mean they won't in the future. They've already made comments about wanting to do one and I don't see why not, Sony could grow the team to do both.

So yes, they do need to pay those owners and scoop up that time before someone else does. We've seen many shitty ports and remasters to really be out here pretending its an easy thing.
Sony isn’t going to remake every single IP that they own. There’s also diminishing returns trying to remake a ps4 game versus making one from an older generation and with backwards compatibility the value goes down even further. They could easily sign a multi project deal instead of paying a premium upfront to take them over. They’ve signed N-project deals in the past with third parties. Bluepoint works by companies going to them and contracting them to make games for them that’s their business. Unless they are heavily betting on the management and the expansion into new IP (or at least original games) owning them won’t pay off as much as just again contracting them, and the acquisition money can be spent elsewhere.

I would be down for a new Re-imagining of Legend of dragoon, meaning new combat system, re-imagined map, re-imagined story even with more fleshed out sections similar to FF7R.
Bluepoint hasn't proven they can do that. They do awesome Remakes that stay true to the original, but with top-end visuals. Reimagining a PS1 game, is basically making a completely new game.

Last edited:

EDMIX

they are going to run out of games to port/remake

Sony isn’t going to remake every single IP that they own

^^^^ .......ummmm ok then. Did you forget you said this or?

They could easily sign a multi project deal

No. Good port team is hard to come by, even harder to find a team that can remake games with great quality. You've offered no real legit reason why Sony shouldn't buy them.

the acquisition money can be spent elsewhere.

Moot. Anything can be spent on anything soooo yea.

This makes sense to buy them. Its money well spent if Sony sees they will continue to remake titles over the generations. So I see them doing The Last Of Us 1 remake and anything else would be a cherry on top, Ico remake, Metal Gear Solid remake, Silent Hill 1 remake and then next gen we could see Syphon Filter remake, The Getaway remake, Killzone 2 remake etc. Beyond that we could see remakes of PS4 titles. So yea.....you don't know what you are talking about and trying hard as fuck to make it sound as if this is a bad business move, as if no one buy games or something lol

So those strange statements that directly go against each other.....so we just adding you to that good ole ignore list. You are all over the place man.

EDMIX

At this point there isn't even a point to announce it. It was posted by an official PlayStation twitter acct a week ago lol

lol

I disagree. Not all gamers care about this shit like us. Its still an announcement to most gamers who don't live on NeoGaf or something. So they have a great point to still reveal it as that leak isn't really what majority of gamers know, or care about etc.

If anything, its not point for us here on NeoGaf, but they have a point to do it for everyone else.

Last edited:

jakinov

^^^^ .......ummmm ok then. Did you forget you said this or?

No. Good port team is hard to come by, even harder to find a team that can remake games with great quality. You've offered no real legit reason why Sony shouldn't buy them.

Moot. Anything can be spent on anything soooo yea.

This makes sense to buy them. Its money well spent if Sony sees they will continue to remake titles over the generations. So I see them doing The Last Of Us 1 remake and anything else would be a cherry on top, Ico remake, Metal Gear Solid remake, Silent Hill 1 remake and then next gen we could see Syphon Filter remake, The Getaway remake, Killzone 2 remake etc. Beyond that we could see remakes of PS4 titles. So yea.....you don't know what you are talking about and trying hard as fuck to make it sound as if this is a bad business move, as if no one buy games or something lol

So those strange statements that directly go against each other.....so we just adding you to that good ole ignore list. You are all over the place man.
The two aren't mutually exclusive. They can both not want to remake every IP they own they are going to run out of games they will remake. They can remake 50% of the IPs that they own then not have any more IPs to remake because they don't want to remake the other 50% and the 50% of them are already remade. And again they probably aren't going to want to remake a bunch of PS4 games because the benefits are diminished. < PS3 games are greatly limited by hardware, a time where they couldn't do many things because of small amount of RAM and a time where artists had to create separate charact

The reason not to buy them is because they will already work for you if you pay them the actual cost + a little extra; if you again want multiple projects you sign a deal with them that they will make next N projects for them just like they did with other studios. You don't have to buy them at a premium (because that's how you take over and convince people to sell out their company you generally pay more than the company worth) where all the millions of dollars will not go to the company but to the owner's pockets directly. Then proceed to then pay to make the actual games. At some point they will have less work for them. To outweigh the cost of acquiring them, they'd have to release a lot of projects but because they probably won't have that many projects long term, Sony probably wouldn't get their money back or wont get as much money back from just investing the money elsewhere. Unless of course Sony believes in their plans for original games in the future.

I

Top Bottom