• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony BIGGEST Bet For PS5 Future

Cyborg

Why not both? I mean there are 3rd parties that invest heavy in MP, Battle Roylae games etc. As an PS owner you can enjoy those games. Its important to have studios that can create amazing SP experiences, create new characters that you love so much you cry when they die! And where you will spend money to see where the story goes.

And speaking for myself; at a certain age I just dont ''feel'' the fast paced MP games and want to enjoy a good story/gameplay.

Last edited:
Uh yea it's what they do lol. All the best games I played last gen were single player. It's the reason I game there and I'm waiting on sequels plus new IPs I haven't heard of.

In 2014 I didn't hear about HZD, or GoT, and loved both of those.

Returnal already looks interesting.
Ghost of Tsushima
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Horizon Zero Dawn

All new IP's and I have all of them. Sony's king at single player blockbusters.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
the perfect platform should be a mix of everything. As right now obviously for the success, ps it focuses too much on the same category of games and we all know what it is
Sony knows where their bread and butter is and they're not going to waste too much time and resources on games that won't do well for them

MonarchJT

Banned
Sony knows where their bread and butter is and they're not going to waste too much time and resources on games that won't do well for them
I do not doubt it. It is evident from the number of story driven third person actionish titles in different sauces, probably 95% of their output

N30RYU

Sony's money is on focused story single player games... so ppl will "gladly" pay 70$ to get them day one to prevent being spoiled.

Multiplayer games are a long run games... and most ppl not giving a shit about ranking lists can wait months for the price to drop and buy it if it still have legs... and the game have being ironed out.

Uh yea it's what they do lol. All the best games I played last gen were single player. It's the reason I game there and I'm waiting on sequels plus new IPs I haven't heard of.

In 2014 I didn't hear about HZD, or GoT, and loved both of those.

Returnal already looks interesting.
Because the market is full of multiplayer games.

Guilty_AI

Why whenever i see this kind of discussion claiming SP games aren't being developed anymore and its all live service, i see absolutely 0 mention on AA and independent devs? Heck, wheres nintendo?

He's wrong, people don't want good single player games. They want the newest products with shiny graphics, they enjoy the fuss and hype build up in the pre-release months/years more than having the game at hand ready to be played, they don't like playing games they like being swayed by E3 trailers and expensive marketing campaigns, to the point some people openly admit that its exactly what they want.
And this is where Sony is capitalizing on with games that center heavily on production and tons spent on marketing.

I think its sad all the same.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Though Sony should invest in a high profile AAA multiplayer game. Even a single one will do.

Or just throw money at Bungie having timed exclusive PS content. Worked for them before and covered all the bases.

MonarchJT

Banned
Are we back to pretending a camera angle is a genre?
Come on, it wasn't the accusation it was a statement of fact. Obviously I'm talking about the first party exclusives .. you don't have strategic, managerial, real simulators, arcade sim, fps, and many others and that is not solved by changing the angme of the cam. There is no need to get angry

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
That's good for people who like these games.

They could focus on J-RPGs (action, turn based, tactical) and Shmups, that would fit my tastes better.

Bryank75

Banned
Sackboy and Demons Souls are considered 1st party by Sony.... this guy has no idea what he's talking about.

That three hundred and whatever million is just 3rd party games.... things like Final Fantasy XVI and Call of Duty content.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Do what you do great so yeah if Sony needs a shooter just get an exclusive deal with call of duty dlc and focus on winning the generation.

yurinka

Sony's biggest bet is to make sure their console has tons of great games of many different types for everyone.

Regarding multiplayer, they already have the most successful ones in the market partnering with them like CoD, FIFA, Fortnite, Apex, Rocket League, Fall Guys and so on, so that part is already too saturated and a few times they tried it with their own games didn't work.

For 1st/2nd party games they are super successful with single player AAA games, so they double down their efforts on this kind of games as they should. Same goes with Nintendo.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Come on, it wasn't the accusation it was a statement of fact. Obviously I'm talking about the first party exclusives .. you don't have strategic, managerial, real simulators, arcade sim, fps, and many others and that is not solved by changing the angme of the cam. There is no need to get angry
Ratchet, Dreams, Gran Turismo, Medievil, MLB, Gravity Rush, Freedom Wars, Tearaway, That’s You, Killzone, Iron Man VR, Astrobot, Bloodborne, Concrete Genie, Everybody’s Golf, Wipeout...

What?

Cornbread78

Sony is quickly losing their portfolio diversity by following the same trend with all their IP and ending investment is AA games. It's an unfortunate trend that will stagnate their market eventually. Ninty is eating their lunch is Japan by gobbling up all those games right now and with no handheld device to compete with, Ninty will keep winning the east and the west in that market. It's clear Sony has moved in the direction to care about investors and profits and less about games and gamers these days outside of how to maximize their ROI.

2U9vVEh.jpg

Love all the Single player games but I need some Multiplayer as well, some shooters exclusively for Ps5 would be amazing I think Sony lacks in that department

Top Bottom