• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Bend working on a new IP open world game

Varteras

Gold Member
Days Gone wasn't a bad game. It was actually good outside of its early technical issues and very slow start. But comparing it to the other projects Sony's first party released over the generation, it was weak. I think only Knack was a weaker entry from a Sony studio. And let's be honest, the only reason that game got a sequel was because of Mark Cerny. The writing wasn't that great. A lot of dialogue was hard to listen to and Deacon is probably one of the least memorable lead PlayStation characters. Most of Sony's studios create stand out titles in some way but the only reason Days Gone stands out to the greater community is because it was a big project that didn't stand out.

The interviews and articles written about the happenings with Bend during the previous generation seem to paint a picture of a studio that had a culture clash. On one side was the old guard who were set in their ways and on the other side were newcomers and younger faces who didn't agree. I do believe it was even outright stated that the directors, especially Garvin, were not very adaptable to a growing studio. They had been so used to having a smaller team that they could more directly control all aspects of that when it grew beyond their ability to do so they couldn't handle it. Garvin himself supposedly became very difficult to work with and was eventually terminated right after Days Gone released after Sony gave him several chances to be better. Even giving him some type of behavior sessions.

Honestly, I think after having spent an entire generation to give us one game, and that one game was Days Gone, that Bend is being allowed another crack at a new IP and a big open-world project at that is pretty damn generous of Sony to do. Because I know a lot of us were expecting the sad alternative.

GeorgPrime

Banned
The next game will play in a world after a zombie apocalypse. Humans are trying to rebuild society and you will slowly learn about how a hero found a way to get rid of the virus.

Inofficial Days Gone 2 lol

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Days Gone wasn't a bad game. It was actually good outside of its early technical issues and very slow start. But comparing it to the other projects Sony's first party released over the generation, it was weak. I think only Knack was a weaker entry from a Sony studio. And let's be honest, the only reason that game got a sequel was because of Mark Cerny. The writing wasn't that great. A lot of dialogue was hard to listen to and Deacon is probably one of the least memorable lead PlayStation characters. Most of Sony's studios create stand out titles in some way but the only reason Days Gone stands out to the greater community is because it was a big project that didn't stand out.

The interviews and articles written about the happenings with Bend during the previous generation seem to paint a picture of a studio that had a culture clash. On one side was the old guard who were set in their ways and on the other side were newcomers and younger faces who didn't agree. I do believe it was even outright stated that the directors, especially Garvin, were not very adaptable to a growing studio. They had been so used to having a smaller team that they could more directly control all aspects of that when it grew beyond their ability to do so they couldn't handle it. Garvin himself supposedly became very difficult to work with and was eventually terminated right after Days Gone released after Sony gave him several chances to be better. Even giving him some type of behavior sessions.

Honestly, I think after having spent an entire generation to give us one game, and that one game was Days Gone, that Bend is being allowed another crack at a new IP and a big open-world project at that is pretty damn generous of Sony to do. Because I know a lot of us were expecting the sad alternative.

They are the only Sony first party with UE4 experience, making them the natural choice to do a UE5 project.

If you bear that in mind its understandable why they had downtime between projects, because lets face it, if they are using Unreal as a base then they are going to need time for Epic to mature the engine and tools before really getting stuck in.

Yes we're living in the best timeline!

No more shooting zombies and ESPECIALLY no more shooting dudes with guns.

Honestly a game focusing on the horde gameplay would interesting we don't get many games fighting hundreds of enemies.

I am fucking SICK of dudes with guns though.
Enough already what can you possibly add at this point that will be new and exciting? Maybe better A.I. but I'am dubious about that being more fun

As much as I liked Days Gone and hate how the series ends like this with the cliffhanger, this is the best move for Bend. Sony already has a much more successful zombie-themed game, and a Days Gone 2 would've just been stuck in TLOU shadow.

Just give me Days Gone again but with dinosaurs instead of freakers/zombies, and a much more focused story and I'm good.
Yes! You know what's up my dude!

A high quality mainstream dino game would be a monster success! I don't get why anyone's hasn't attempted it in a while the latest Jurassic park pulled in over 1.5 billion at the box office. A game could potentially do almost as well.

Now obviously making that game would be difficult and expensive to get make but so is everything these days. Such a lame excuse when I here this

EDMIX

Hermen Hulst Q&A: What’s Next for PlayStation Studios – PlayStation.Blog

No Days Gone 2 confirmed. It's almost like Jason Schreier is usually right in his reporting, despite how you may feel about him :pie_thinking:

Well....I agree with that he might have legit heard about this, I simply don't care for how he exaggerated certain things about the development cycle cause even Bend getting a new IP is a bigger deal and risk then if they fucking did Days Gone 2, I'd argue THAT is easier on Sony if they felt Bend wasn't good enough.

He made it sound like they'd just be working with ND cause they are bad or cause Days Gone failed or something like that when teams working together is normal, we have no actual evidence that Sony hates Days Gone or something as they ported it to PC to expand its install base and we have no evidence Sony hates Bend as they legit just gave them the green light to yet another NEW IP! None of that jives with this "we hate BEND" argument that he sorta made.

SO I never felt he was wrong on the info as I believe the man can do his job in terms of getting info, simply how he made it sound was unusual and made it sound as if Days Gone 2 was being scrapped because of The Last Of Us remake.

I find no need to fucking use the term "instead", unless he LITERALLY heard a Sony CEO say they have EITHER Days Gone 2 or The Last Of Us Remake to make and for some reason they can't make both as that doesn't happen in the history of gaming and they MUST have 1, not 2, then shit I'll say he is right....but it made not sense to phrase something like "instead" and make it sound like The Last Of Us remake was in place of Days Gone 2.

Bend making The Last Of Us remake? Then why fucking point that out as if that team was told to stop Days Gone 2 and only do The Last Of Us remake? He should have never phrased that shit that way.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Jason has sorces inside Sony, but he makes shit up. He pretty much said Bend had became a support studio to Naughty Dog, when thats crearly not the case. While Bend was working with Naughty Dog in a dead period, they are also working now on they own IP.

Jason was pretty much spitting doom and gloom about Bend being "demoted" to a support studio. And thats a lie.

No, he said that some people at Bend were worried about becoming a support studio when Days Gone bombed, and they were helping Naughty Dog on Factions II while figuring out their next project.

He never said they became a support studio.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Yes we're living in the best timeline!

No more shooting zombies and ESPECIALLY no more shooting dudes with guns.

Honestly a game focusing on the horde gameplay would interesting we don't get many games fighting hundreds of enemies.

I am fucking SICK of dudes with guns though.
Enough already what can you possibly add at this point that will be new and exciting? Maybe better A.I. but I'am dubious about that being more fun
Well until we know what the project is, it could still be dudes with guns...

Numenorean

Zombie games are very wasted by now. I have this strange abstract game concept where instead of zombies its an open world game but with some kind of mix between aliens and paranormal entities.

Its a pre apocalyptic world where the fight between humans and these aliens/demons have left the world scorched. The year is 2030 so its not a very futuristic world but with weapons a little more advanced than those we have right now. Thats because the war force us to enhance our weapons system. The first contact was in 2017 we blew out and then they thought we were hostile, 3 years after FC (first contact) they came with bio weapons aka Covid-19, then when we were very weak the started their attack and we just defend. Has been 10 years of fight ans this is the world where my game develops

The gameplay would be a mix between HZD and the crafting system in Days Gone and the narrative would be that of TLOU

Last edited:

SSfox

Who says the female protagonist are being forced on the devs? And why does the "trend" need to slow down?
Who is saying what and why?

I'm just saying, look at ND, they made sure Uncharted will continue with female by make it Nate having daughter instead of Son, Uncharted LL both mains are female, TLOU2 they killed the iconic male of part 1 so they can make it... again... 2 female leads. If you don't see the forced agenda here then welp. Now what I was saying is that other Sony devs should not follow this kind of forced agenda thing.

EDMIX

Shit, i really wanted to know the story of the sequel after that secret finale...

Who is to say they don't do a sequel in the future? Them making a new IP doesn't mean 100% we'll get zero sequel. For all we know after that new IP, their next game will actually be Days Gone 2. They'd have all that knowledge from what they learned from the new IP they make so....who knows.

EDMIX

I'm just saying, look at ND, they made sure Uncharted will continue with female

? huh?

Where did you read that FOR LIFE the series will continue with "female"? Lost Legacy isn't even a fucking numbered entry....

TLOU2 they killed the iconic male of part 1 so they can make it... again... 2 female leads.

?? But Ellie is still the focal point of Part 1 and the story was always headed down the direction of him dying anyway. So....I don't see much conspiracy here bud. Why is Tommy alive in The Last Of Us 2? Why is Nate alive in the Uncharted Series? The fuck? lol

Suuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrre

You have zero evidence anyone is forcing anyone to do anything. Its like saying "a guy is in Game A, so clearly a agenda is here and it be forced derrrrr"

Last edited:

GymWolf

Who is to say they don't do a sequel in the future? Them making a new IP doesn't mean 100% we'll get zero sequel. For all we know after that new IP, their next game will actually be Days Gone 2. They'd have all that knowledge from what they learned from the new IP they make so....who knows.
I love your wrongly placed optimism, but i really don't see fucking jimbo resuscitating days gone 2 if their new ip get better reviews, it's like sucker punch doing infamous 4 instead of tsushima 2, not gonna happen neither...

Raven117

Gold Member
Days Gone just comes off as an also-ran. "Hey! Look over here, I'm a post-apocalyptic-open-world-zombie-type game too! I'm really gritty and serious, I ride a motorcycle and have a beard!!"
It comes off that way, but it really isn't.

That said, Bend has some talent, so I'm just pumped they are working on something they want to make.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It comes off that way, but it really isn't.

That said, Bend has some talent, so I'm just pumped they are working on something they want to make.
For sure, I'm not down on Bend as a studio at all. Resistance Retribution is God-tier game development.

Is anyone else really bored of open world games?

Its not a selling point to me anymore.
Depends really.

I always think the core gameplay is always more important than the structure of the game. E.g. I don't care that horizon has some open world tropes because the combat is so good.

I guess in some games the open world can fight against this. The best example for me recently was rage 2. A really fun first person shooter with really boring traversal separating the shooting. That game would definitely have been better as a linear shooter.

Some games need there open worlds to work like death stranding and spiderman.

I think open worlds have a natural advantage in world building and immersion. Some linear games you really know your in a videogame and not a living breathing world.

I think there should be more games somewhere in the middle like dragon quest XI, dark souls and god of war etc. These games perhaps have the best of both extremes without the negatives I think.

Varteras

Gold Member
Yeah, Im kinda excited what they end up doing. Days Gone, deserved or not, was always going to be second fiddle to TLOU.
Bend has proven their talent in the past and Days Gone was clearly an issue of a studio and its project being well beyond the scope they were accustomed to. This next project should prove that either they've still got it or they're just not what they used to be.

Raven117

Gold Member
Bend has proven their talent in the past and Days Gone was clearly an issue of a studio and its project being well beyond the scope they were accustomed to. This next project should prove that either they've still got it or they're just not what they used to be.
Well beyond their scope? Days Gone was actually really good.

You don't need a Days Gone 2. Anyone who's beaten the first game knows that it's actually two games in one cause the thing just doesn't fucking end.
That's the best part about it. You really get your $60 worth. This game and Ghost of Tsushima are two of the biggest give a fuck games I've seen in recent years. I wish more companies would care like those studios did rather than just make cash grab games.

EDMIX

I love your wrongly placed optimism, but i really don't see fucking jimbo resuscitating days gone 2 if their new ip get better reviews, it's like sucker punch doing infamous 4 instead of tsushima 2, not gonna happen neither...

I disagree.

Why give them a new IP that is actually more risk, more money and would take longer to create then a easy Days Gone 2? A title with an existing install base btw. So Days Gone 2 very much can happen in the future as I believe strongly that the team has proven themselves. For all we know, that new IP is so successful, Bend expands into 2 teams and Days Gone 2 is made at the same time the sequel to that new IP is being done.

Look at Uncharted and The Last Of Us that had ND expand into 2 teams. Days Gone didn't sell soooooo bad that Sony feels Bend shouldn't be trusted, as why give them a more expensive and more risking new IP if that was the case? So I think Sony already knew about the new IP and was more open to green lighting it cause they felt Bend can do it after what they saw from Days Gone, simply that Days Gone didn't move the units they wanted, but it also didn't sell soooooo bad that they don't trust Bend to put out AAA titles anymore or something. Thats what tells me this isn't a forever and we'll never see Days Gone 2 ever type deal.

Who knows. If its sooooo bad, why waste any energy on a port to PC? That fact alone is what told me maybe Jason was wrong about how Sony felt about that IP. Sony must feel pretty damn great about what Bend did with Days Gone to not only port it to expand its install base of fans, but to grant Bend a greenlight to yet another new IP. That simply doesn't sound like Sony is mad at Days Gone's performance thhhhhaaaaat much.

We've seen what Sony does to teams that move low units, its clearly not giving them more money for new AAA IPs thats for sure.

GymWolf

I disagree.

Why give them a new IP that is actually more risk, more money and would take longer to create then a easy Days Gone 2? A title with an existing install base btw. So Days Gone 2 very much can happen in the future as I believe strongly that the team has proven themselves. For all we know, that new IP is so successful, Bend expands into 2 teams and Days Gone 2 is made at the same time the sequel to that new IP is being done.

Look at Uncharted and The Last Of Us that had ND expand into 2 teams. Days Gone didn't sell soooooo bad that Sony feels Bend shouldn't be trusted, as why give them a more expensive and more risking new IP if that was the case? So I think Sony already knew about the new IP and was more open to green lighting it cause they felt Bend can do it after what they saw from Days Gone, simply that Days Gone didn't move the units they wanted, but it also didn't sell soooooo bad that they don't trust Bend to put out AAA titles anymore or something. Thats what tells me this isn't a forever and we'll never see Days Gone 2 ever type deal.

Who knows. If its sooooo bad, why waste any energy on a port to PC? That fact alone is what told me maybe Jason was wrong about how Sony felt about that IP. Sony must feel pretty damn great about what Bend did with Days Gone to not only port it to expand its install base of fans, but to grant Bend a greenlight to yet another new IP. That simply doesn't sound like Sony is mad at Days Gone's performance thhhhhaaaaat much.

We've seen what Sony does to teams that move low units, its clearly not giving them more money for new AAA IPs thats for sure.
It's worth to notice that the 2 chiefs in charge of the project no longer work for bend or sony and that one of them was the main writer of the game (with a sequel already wrote in his mind)

EDMIX

It's worth to notice that the 2 chiefs in charge of the project no longer work for bend or sony and that one of them was the main writer of the game (with a sequel already wrote in his mind)
This is relevant, I'll never say its not as clearly it would effect something as their talent clearly added something to Days Gone.... that being said, It doesn't mean we will not get Days Gone 2, simply not by them. For all we know, what they wrote for Days Gone 2 is still going to be its plot or something as that would still be work done under Sony.

They'd just get a different set of writers. The existence of the sequel is not set in stone with the exact same writers. (I personally didn't even like the Story of Days Gone, I felt it was its weakest point imho, it can be better) I like the concept of it, like Days Gone By since the event, but the actual story I didn't really like and would not have any issue with a different writer.

EDMIX

They should do a biker themed open world set in 1960s or 1970s California.

Basically Easy Rider lol

BlackandwhiteObeseIbisbill-size_restricted.gif

giphy%2B%2Bready%2B1.gif

tumblr_mipgq6IG841rylr5to1_500.gif

Last edited:

EDMIX

That kind of setting would make a great open world game.

Agreed. This shows just how young gaming is as a medium.

We don't even have a fraction of that shit in gaming lol We get 2 western games people already saying "we have too much western games bro" and or "enough is enough with the cowboy theme" with 3 or 2 fucking games. One day we'll have that game, one day.

Woggleman

Agreed. This shows just how young gaming is as a medium.

We don't even have a fraction of that shit in gaming lol We get 2 western games people already saying "we have too much western games bro" and or "enough is enough with the cowboy theme" with 3 or 2 fucking games. One day we'll have that game, one day.
Rockstar could have made a great game like that during their prime in the mid to late 2000s.

Woggleman

Yup. They still can and I feel it would be fucking epic.
I guess so but they seem to care too much about MP these days. Also while I loved RDR2 they need to take some advice from Naughty Dog on how to make weighty and realistic controls that are still fun and enjoyable to play.

EDMIX

I guess so but they seem to care too much about MP these days. Also while I loved RDR2 they need to take some advice from Naughty Dog on how to make weighty and realistic controls that are still fun and enjoyable to play.

I disagree. I can never say they care too much about that when RDR2 is like 60 hours long and its MP didn't even launch with it. If anything, it shows MP is more so an after thought, then primary the focus of the whole project. I'm ok with them putting MP in any of their titles because they give us meaty single players. No way could we really expect a longer RDR2, it was already a long ass game, to make it longer I feel is asking for more then necessary and I can't really say MP would be the reason why its not 100 hours or something, I feel more focus was on single player.

I agree with what you are saying about the controls 100% though, my god RDR2 felt sooooo sluggish.

It's a shame that Days Gone never got a sequel. It was much better than people gave it credit for.
Seriously. Some of the people bashing it and the studio in this thread are something else. I bet these asshats never made a game and critizing days gone, which was wonderful. I am also glad they didn't bend the knee to the woke cult brigade ala resetera types. Thats a win alone, top it off with a unique motorcycle game with zombie mass hoards and camps in a unique setting, it was great.

Sounds great to me. The guy who wrote the questionable script for Days Gone left so I think they will finally have a real hit in their hands. Probably a true showpiece for Unreal 5.
What do you mean questionable script. Let me guess you have a problem with a guy complementing his wife's ass or something sjw would object to? What was questionable with the script? Garvin has been making games longer than you have been alive son. He made syphon filter, all of them, and uncharted golden abyss. What have you made?

You people bashing on days gone is moronic. It was the only good game from Sony outside of Ghost and God of war in the last few years.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I don't even understand what the woke brigade was mad about. Sure he was a gruff white male protagonist but the game itself was quite progressive. Arthur Morgan was also a gruff white male and the woke brigade left that game alone.

yurinka

Jason's article which is proven right by Herman's comments today.
It proved right the sentence where it said they were working now on a new IP.

Other parts have been debunked by Ryan, Hulst, Mumbeuer or the two Days Gone directos, like Sony moving their focus away from smaller and Japanese games and focusing on a few of their top blockbuster IPs, Bend fearing to be turned into ND a support team, bad relationship between Bend top guys and Sony HQ or ND, the top Bend guys leaving Sony because Sony didn't greenlight DG2 due to DG1 results, etc. Sony forcing ND to work on the remake when it was a personal project of the Mumbauer team pitched by them, etc.

GuinGuin

Banned
What do you mean questionable script. Let me guess you have a problem with a guy complementing his wife's ass or something sjw would object to? What was questionable with the script? Garvin has been making games longer than you have been alive son. He made syphon filter, all of them, and uncharted golden abyss. What have you made?

You people bashing on days gone is moronic. It was the only good game from Sony outside of Ghost and God of war in the last few years.

I already explained it. It was low brow, one note, and lacked any subtext. I don't care about the ass comment I care about good writing and it didn't have any.

Last edited:
Top Bottom