• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony appreciates "the CMA’s focus on protecting gamers" as it welcomes the announcement to further investigate the Activision acquisition

CeeJay

The SEC filing:

[/URL]

u1awIPk.jpg

The end.

Now stop being a dunce.
They are employees who abide by the rules set out by the parent. The independent operation comes after that
It says right there that Bungie will carry on being run by Pete Parsons and Bungie board of directors along with certain closing conditions. Nowhere does it say that Sony have a veto of any kind.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Well yeah bungie is kinda the first of that kind as far as I know.

Regarding the studio decisions, I think that ultimately its up to sony to decide if they allow a game on other platforms or not.
For instance MLB the show is on all platforms (PS, Xbox, Switch) but the big sony games like TLOU or God of War are usually exclusively on playstation consoles and recently they started coming to PC after a couple of years. The plan with bungie is to remain multiplatform but that doesn't mean that in the future they can't change that.

this is a quote from the bungie statement on the Sony blog

"We remain in charge of our destiny. We will continue to independently publish and creatively develop our games. We will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. Our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play."

I don't see any sign of Sony controls where the games go, if that were the case why make such a statement?

Pedro Motta

I'm not sure what is the problem here, Bethesda is a PUBLISHER, Activision is a PUBLISHER, Bungie since independance SELF PUBLISHES. Neither Sony or Microsoft disbanded any PUBLISHER after aquisition.

3liteDragon

fair enough I stand corrected. so other Sony studios self publishing then?
Fair point.

I think I got your opinion a little mixed up with Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping ,that seems overly defensive and publish the idea of its Sony being kind, when it was a criteria from Bungie all along to be independent.

I am confused.

I thought Microsoft owned Bethesda Softworks.

I mean, if they do, then it is technically Microsoft publishing the game since they own them.
Once a company owns 100% of another company, the owner pretty much has the final say on whatever happens with the subsidiary company. Bungie’s a rare case here since they’re a multiplatform self-publishing entity like Bethesda Softworks. So they’ll still publish their own games under their current owner but if the owner wants to make the current game they’re publishing an exclusive (Starfield), then it’s an exclusive. So Sony & MS kinda direct the publishing a little bit.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Once a company owns 100% of another company, the owner pretty much has the final say on whatever happens with the subsidiary company. Bungie’s a rare case here since they’re a multiplatform self-publishing entity like Bethesda Softworks. So they’ll still publish their own games under their current owner but if the owner wants to make the current game they’re publishing an exclusive (Starfield), then it’s an exclusive. So Sony & MS kinda direct the publishing.

all depends what's signed in contracts like that, The_Mike The_Mike posted something on it, not read it as it won't open on my Mac.

Thirty7ven

Banned
so that's a first with bungie then, also does Sony state anywhere else that their studios are free to decide what platform their game goes on?

Sony Online Entertainment used to make games for PC while PlayStation was a thing. Aniplex makes mobile games.

Bungie is not a PlayStation studio either, Sony aims to turn them into a full blown cross media company while at the same time providing know how to PlayStation studios. They wanted to be creatively free and to not be a PlayStation exclusive studio, Sony agreed.

Sony can at a later date fold Bungie into PlayStation studios, and suffer the consequences of having a lot of key talent leave. But it’s their choice, they own 100% of Bungie and their assets. If they want they can close Bungie.

3liteDragon

It says right there that Bungie will carry on being run by Pete Parsons and Bungie board of directors along with certain closing conditions. Nowhere does it say that Sony have a veto of any kind.
And that board can be dissolved effective immediately if Sony wants since they own all of Bungie’s shares. Kinda like how Microsoft completely dissolved Bethesda‘s board of directors after the deal went through since they owned ALL the shares of ZeniMax Media.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Sony Online Entertainment used to make games for PC while PlayStation was a thing. Aniplex makes mobile games.

Bungie is not a PlayStation studio either, Sony aims to turn them into a full blown cross media company while at the same time providing know how to PlayStation studios. They wanted to be creatively free and to not be a PlayStation exclusive studio, Sony agreed.

Sony can at a later date fold Bungie into PlayStation studios, and suffer the consequences of having a lot of key talent leave. But it’s their choice, they own 100% of Bungie and their assets. If they want they can close Bungie.

coarse they can but the question would be why would they?

they will be cross platform 100% know that but what platforms remains to be seen. I see PC most likely as you don't spend that money to keep the competition strong like Microsoft will do eventually with call of duty.

Thirty7ven

Banned
coarse they can but the question would be why would they?

they will be cross platform 100% know that but what platforms remains to be seen. I see PC most likely as you don't spend that money to keep the competition strong like Microsoft will do eventually with call of duty.

It’s possible that exclusive content and marketing focus remains the better option.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Being independent doesn't mean here's an agreement where we'll let you do whatever the fuck you want and we can't intervene
Then tell me why Ryan is a king because he say Bungie is independent and multi platform, if he lies and go exclusive, while Spencer is the incarnation of the devil himself for letting call of duty getting extra years on call of duty before going exclusive.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It’s possible that exclusive content and marketing focus remains the better option.

It does but Bungie seem pretty savvy, they got out of a deal with Microsoft intact and they got out of the activision deal intact too. Seems like they know what they are doijg

CeeJay

And that board can be dissolved effective immediately if Sony wants since they own all of Bungie’s shares. Kinda like how Microsoft completely dissolved Bethesda‘s board of directors after the deal went through since they owned ALL the shares of ZeniMax Media.
Just stop, clearly you are talking about stuff you have no idea about. Bungie was never a publicly traded company and therefore has never had shares. Transfer of ownership or a share of a company are totally different to shares.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
It does but Bungie seem pretty savvy, they got out of a deal with Microsoft intact and they got out of the activision deal intact too. Seems like they know what they are doijg

All MS cared about was Halo and Activision didn’t own Destiny or Bungie.

GHG

Gold Member

Oh you as well?

You would do well to have a look at some of the definitions posted previously and use those as the starting point for some research and curiosity.

Just stop, clearly you are talking about stuff you have no idea about. Bungie was never a publicly traded company and therefore has never had shares. Transfer of ownership or a share of a company are totally different to shares.

h2FWzH0.jpg

Oopsie daisy.

fail euro 2016 GIF by Sporza

I am confused, are some posters here really arguing that Bungie managed to redefine what ownership in a capitalistic enterprise means and override centuries of contract law?

Its like Schrödinger‘s cat - they are fully owned and controlled but somehow fully independent and can do as they please at the same time…

//DEVIL//

where does it say anywhere if bungie make a single player game it will be Sony exclusive? if you read the PS blog then it says bungie decide where their games go. that's Sonys own words not mine
Use ur brain. Sony gets 3rd party single players exclusives to their system. They won’t for their own studio ?

Watch it Bungie saying “ we decided to make the game on PlayStation only so we can cut development time and deliver a better experience “ marketing bullshit . Are u friggin new to the industry bud ?

Top Bottom