• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony appreciates "the CMA’s focus on protecting gamers" as it welcomes the announcement to further investigate the Activision acquisition

Banjo64

cumsessed
this is what we have to go on

Bungie CEO Pete Parsons also said: “We remain in charge of our destiny. We will continue to independently publish and creatively develop our games. We will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. Our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play.

“With SIE’s support, the most immediate change you will see is an acceleration in hiring talent across the entire studio to support our ambitious vision.”
Where does that say it’s enshrined in the contract? If you have ever signed a contract you’d know that there’s 0 chance that Sony’s legal team would sign off an a term that says Bungie retain agency indefinitely.

So you think Sony agreed to a clause that said Bungie retains agency FOREVER?

Obviously Sony doesn't want Bungie to be completely independent otherwise they wouldn't have bought them. Sony is definitely getting something out of owning Bungie. Though it is true that many of Bungies future titles will be multiplatform.

Do you have evidence that they have a timed limit on that clause?

Honestly you don't have access to the contract either so its all speculation at this point. I'd say if Bungie ever releases anything that's not on Xbox then you can believe Sony has something to do with it.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Do you have evidence that any such clause even exists? You clearly are the biggest brain, but I’m telling you, Sony would not have agreed to any such term.

You only have to look at what the CEO of Bungie has said on the matter. Do you have evidence that it was just done verbally as you said?

“Bungie CEO Pete Parsons also said: “We remain in charge of our destiny. We will continue to independently publish and creatively develop our games. We will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. Our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play”

Last edited:

CeeJay

You believe in 20 years, when none of the staff who were part of the aquisition are even there anymore, that Sony is legally obligated to follow this conjuered up contract?
I'm not sure whether you actually believe some of the naive stuff you write or just trying to cause as much fiction as possible.

Do you really think that there isn't any kind contact?

Or, that any contract can be essentially disregarded after an arbitrary duration regardless of the stipulations within it?

I'm not sure whether you actually believe some of the naive stuff you write or just trying to cause as much fiction as possible.

Do you really think that there isn't any kind contact?

Or, that any contract can be essentially disregarded after an arbitrary duration regardless of the stipulations within it?

No, a perpetual agreement where an 100% subsidary remains in complete control doesn't exist and you're delusional if you think otherwise

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Can Sony do anything about it? No?

Then yes that's complete control. Take a step back and think about how stupid that is

No you take a step back. Read what the CEO of Bungie has said and think about what they said.

Contracts are binding and once signed cannot be broken. If Bungie and Sony signed the contract to say they will always publish their own gakes that’s how it will be

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Because Sony lets them.
It's not because Sony let's them.

It was literally a criteria from Bungie that they have ownership and decisions over their own games so they are "free with financial benefits" unlike the deal with Activision and Microsoft.

Sony didn't say "we are the good guys, destiny will be everywhere", but a criteria from Bungie.

No you take a step back. Read what the CEO of Bungie has said and think about what they said.

Contracts are binding and once signed cannot be broken. If Bungie and Sony signed the contract to say they will always publish their own gakes that’s how it will be

Its 2022 and we're still taking PR statements at face value. Fucking lel.

I'm saying such a contract even existing is nonesense. In 50 years when none of these employees even work at bungie anymore who exactly is going to sue Sony here? Is Bungie self-aware?

It's not because Sony let's them.

It was literally a criteria from Bungie that they have ownership and decisions over their own games so they are "free with financial benefits" unlike the deal with Activision and Microsoft.

Sony didn't say "we are the good guys, destiny will be everywhere", but a criteria from Bungie.

A criteria built on trust because Sony values keeping these people on board. Not a legal obligation.

CeeJay

No, a perpetual agreement where an 100% subsidary remains in complete control doesn't exist and you're delusional if you think otherwise
Again you are not answering the questions but mearly sidestepping.

Clearly Bungie have been very savvy with the contracts they have signed over the years and people tend to learn from their mistakes as they go forward. They have managed to twice release themselves from a much bigger publisher and regain full independence. This time however they have publicly stated that although being technically owned by Sony they still retain a lot of power and choice for their own destiny. Although we don't know the contents of the contract we have two great examples of this exact scenario in their history to refer to. We also have a statement direct from Bungie themselves that suggests they have an even more favourable contract this time.

I'll ask another question. Who was going into the acquisition talks with the upper hand? Bungie with a hugely successful going concern GaaS or Sony who is totally lacking in that regard AND publicly stated that they have aspirations to move more towards that direction. Who needed who more?

All we have from you is wishful thinking yet you call ME delusional :messenger_tears_of_joy:

CeeJay

Its 2022 and we're still taking PR statements at face value. Fucking lel.

I'm saying such a contract even existing is nonesense. In 50 years when none of these employees even work at bungie anymore who exactly is going to sue Sony here? Is Bungie self-aware?
Oh its 50 years now? A few posts ago it was 20.... Its almost like you are making this shit up as you go along.

Again you are not answering the questions but mearly sidestepping.

Clearly Bungie have been very savvy with the contracts they have signed over the years and people tend to learn from their mistakes as they go forward. They have managed to twice release themselves from a much bigger publisher and regain full independence. This time however they have publicly stated that although being technically owned by Sony they still retain a lot of power and choice for their own destiny. Although we don't know the contents of the contract we have two great examples of this exact scenario in their history to refer to. We also have a statement direct from Bungie themselves that suggests they have an even more favourable contract this time.

I'll ask another question. Who was going into the acquisition talks with the upper hand? Bungie with a hugely successful going concern GaaS or Sony who is totally lacking in that regard AND publicly stated that they have aspirations to move more towards that direction. Who needed who more?

All we have from you is wishful thinking yet you call ME delusional :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'll make this really fucking simple for you.

When all the senior managment at bungie are gone, and Sony decides on who replaces them, who do you think ultimarely controls bungies direction? Sony, or the new managment picked by Sony.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
A criteria built on trust because Sony values keeping these people on board. Not a legal obligation.
I am not sure what you mean. Forgive me, English is not my native language so I got a little confused here.

From what I know, Bungie had the criteria of being an independent studio with a company behind them to help fund their projects.

As in, they don't want to be shackled again like they were with Acti and MS.

Sony accepting those terms is not the same as Sony believes in third party and allows them to release games on other platforms. It was Bungies ultimatum and the highest bidder could take it or leave it.

CeeJay

I'll make this really fucking simple for you.

When all the senior managment at bungie are gone, and Sony decides on who replaces them, who do you think controls bungies direction? Sony, or the new managment picked by Sony.
Why is Sony automatically assumed to be picking this imaginary new management at Bungie? Like I said, they are savvy when it comes to contracts so it seems unlikely they would fail to plug such a obvious and simple loop hole. You think you have such a big brain coming up with that don't you?

Why is Sony automatically assumed to be picking this imaginary new management at Bungie? Like I said, they are savvy when it comes to contracts so it seems unlikely they would fail to plug such a obvious and simple loop hole. You think you have such a big brain coming up with that don't you?

Because Sony owns 100% of them? Herp derp

They were never owned by Activision in the first place and they had to pay $200 million for Destiny. You're overestimating them just because MS agreed to let them go.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Have you ever seen a legal business contract?

They have clauses left right and Center. Believe me I know what they are like. They will have clauses on both sides but with Bungie speaking as they are I think a lot goes on their side.

Have you ever seen a legal business contract?

They have clauses left right and Center. Believe me I know what they are like. They will have clauses on both sides but with Bungie speaking as they are I think a lot goes on their side.

Yes, and the only types of "perpetuity" clauses i've ever seen are ones where the time limit is whenever either side no longer wants to continue the arrangement. Not this nonsense

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yes, and the only types of "perpetuity" clauses i've ever seen are ones where the time limit is whenever either side no longer wants to continue the arrangement.

Really? Clauses with time limits. So Bungie would sign something that would stop them being indipendant in like 10 years? Why would they do such a thing? Give me a reason

I am using my head, it appears you’re the one who isn’t. Your warriors sim is making things up to suit your agenda.

You have seen the statement by the CEO of Bungie about remaining indipendant but refuse to believe it.

I believe Sony is letting them do what they want for the forseeable future. Not this imaginary contract you've pulled out of your ass that makes no sense

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I believe Sony is letting them do what they want for the forseeable future. Not this imaginary contract you've pulled out of your ass that makes no sense

Imaginary contract, again so nothing was signed? They just went I wanna buy you and they said ok and that’s it?

I have provided evidence by showing what the CEO of Bungie said. You have provided nothing but your own opinion

GHG

Gold Member
6twmbe.jpg

Quite the quandary we have here lads.

Imaginary contract, again so nothing was signed? They just went I wanna buy you and they said ok and that’s it?

I have provided evidence by showing what the CEO of Bungie said. You have provided nothing but your own opinion

No you dolt. Obviously docs have been passed. What's nonsense is this perpetual agreement you've deluded yourself into thinking actually exists because of a PR statement

phil_t98

#SonyToo
No you dolt. Obviously docs have been passed. What's nonsense is this perpetual agreement you've deluded yourself into thinking actually exists because of a PR statement

Again CEO of company’s cannot go on record and make statements that ain’t true.

why do you think it’s PR? Give the reason its PR and not a factual statemnet

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Do you have evidence that any such clause even exists? You clearly are the biggest brain, but I’m telling you, Sony would not have agreed to any such term.

Is there a possibility that bungie could have a clause that claims both parties must agree where titles are released or something to that nature? I can't see how bungie can make the statements like below and not have something to back themselves up. We know they've hustled some crazy terms in the past.
You only have to look at what the CEO of Bungie has said on the matter. Do you have evidence that it was just done verbally as you said?

“Bungie CEO Pete Parsons also said: “We remain in charge of our destiny. We will continue to independently publish and creatively develop our games. We will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. Our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play”

It would be really bad to come out with this kind of statement and then Sony be the ones that are like " we said nah"

It's really confusing that they can make that kind of statement and it not be true.

Gudji

Again have Sony released a statement to say the Bungie CEO is wrong about them keeping independence?
Sony LET THEM keep making multiplat games. The moment they decide its time to do the opposite Bungie will follow! Sony owns the studio and IP.
Its a fact there's not arguments to be made here my friend. At this point you and the others are just trolling.

Again sony makes more money being on xbox so they aren't going to do shit in the near future.

Sony just gave Bungie $4b as a gift. Pretty lovely gesture really all things considered.
Yeah there was also a very smart guy here saying that in 5 years bungie will regain their independence because they'll get tired of sony. lmao

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Sony LET THEM keep making multiplat games. The moment they decide its time to do the opposite Bungie will follow! Sony owns the studio and IP.
Its a fact there's not arguments to be made here my friend. At this point you and the others are just trolling.

Again sony makes more money being on xbox so they aren't going to do shit in the near future.

Read the article. It states Bungie is an independent

Why would Sony sign a contract with such a binding term instead of just verbally agreeing to it?

There’s no chance.

The proof will be in the pudding but I guarantee Bungie Will ‘voluntarily decide’ to do some exclusive Sony/PC stuff at some point.
It's really obvious since day one when the Bungie deal was announced that they would remain independent, even on Jim Ryan's PS Blog article. And if a game is "exclusive to PS and PC" then it ISN'T exclusive. Same way Bethesda games won't be exclusive to Xbox, since they will also release on PC. Exclusive to consoles will happen less and less.

This is literally and i will quote, their headline on PS Blog:

Legendary developer to join PlayStation as independent, multi-platform studio and publisher.

First line of the article:
First off, I want to be very clear to the community that Bungie will remain an independent and multi-platform studio and publisher.

Second paragraph:
Bungie’s world-class expertise in multi-platform development and live game services will help us deliver on our vision of expanding PlayStation to hundreds of millions of gamers

Jim said and repeated it 3 or 4 times during the article that they will be a multi-platform publisher after the acquisition. There's no grey area here. There's no "their games will remain in more platforms for years to come" bullshit where you can interpret whoever you want.

Pete Parsons, CEO from the same article:

In Sony, we have found a partner who unconditionally supports us in all we are and who wants to accelerate our vision to create generation-spanning entertainment, all while preserving the creative independence that beats in Bungie’s heart.
Same person, later on:

We remain in charge of our destiny. We will continue to independently publish and creatively develop our games. We will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. Our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play.

PS Blog

It's really clear they will release these games in more platforms than just Playstation consoles.

Gudji

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It's really obvious since day one when the Bungie deal was announced that they would remain independent, even on Jim Ryan's PS Blog article. And if a game is "exclusive to PS and PC" then it ISN'T exclusive. Same way Bethesda games won't be exclusive to Xbox, since they will also release on PC. Exclusive to consoles will happen less and less.

This is literally and i will quote, their headline on PS Blog:

First line of the article:

Second paragraph:

Jim said and repeated it 3 or 4 times during the article that they will be a multi-platform publisher after the acquisition. There's no grey area here. There's no "their games will remain in more platforms for years to come" bullshit where you can interpret whoever you want.

Pete Parsons, CEO from the same article:

Same person, later on:

PS Blog

It's really clear they will release these games in more platforms than just Playstation consoles.

No matter what you say and what you show them they still won’t believe it.

Every news article and the CEO of Bungie saying they are independent they still don’t believe .

GHG

Gold Member

Read the article. It states Bungie is an independent

Don't even need to click it. Did you even read it?

DzZCd2e.jpg

mom son GIF

Top Bottom