• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PlayStation VR2 and Sense Controllers at CES

Tams

Gold Member
Everyone who thinks this is a thing needs to try a Quest 2 with Air link and a dedicated router. If there is any lag, I have never noticed it in all the hours I’ve been playing games.

The PSVR2 sounds good, but wired Is a huge step back from wireless PCVR. Huge. An OLED screen is nice, as is higher resolution, but neither make up for being back to having a cable hanging off you. It’s very immersion breaking.
If we're going to be this angsty, then 110 FOV and a better subpixel layout alone more than make up for the cable.

Plus, it can be lighter as it doesn't need to have a battery attached to it (and hence your head). I think that's actually the biggest thing that people are missing when they complain about 'but it's not wireless!'. Batteries are heavy, bulky, another thing to charge, and inconvenient to design around. There's no doubt that going wireless does have a big benefit in no cables, but I think Sony have made the right choice here.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I believe this is the first consumer headset with eye tracking which is one of the main game changers for VR, as games knowing the direction your eyes are looking in the headset can dramatically improve the user experience.

Its been on the developer and business models for some time to great effect.

While I would caution buying the launch model given the fact that Sony are likely to launch an upgraded version once the public has had its hands in PS2VR based on the feedback there, it is rather exciting to see eye tracking in a consumer headset.

kyliethicc

Cool, so yeah okay think that it will be bundled in then the only question is just the price.
It'll be $400 or $500. I suspect $500. PSVR in 2016 was $560 total for headset + camera + controllers.

No way they can sell it for less than $400, and no way they can sell it for more than $500. And they won't do $450 just cuz lol.

Easier to start high at $499 and drop the price over time. Plus maybe they'll add a pack-in game like Astro's Playroom.

reksveks

It'll be $400 or $500. I suspect $500. PSVR in 2016 was $560 total for headset + camera + controllers.

No way they can sell it for less than $400, and no way they can sell it for more than $500. And they won't do $450 just cuz lol.

Easier to start high at $499 and drop the price over time. Plus maybe they'll add a pack-in game like Astro's Playroom.
I think 500 is probably the right guess. It's going to be a fun time for your VR guys, I will get back into it for a couple of years i think.

I don't want to turn this into a PS vs Meta thread but anyone thoughts on how often Meta are going to release headsets?

Rudius

People said the same thing about the PS5. Hell, there were rumors of a $599 PS5, and yet Sony managed to release a digital SKU for $399. They will do the same here. Release the headset without controllers for $399 just to say they did. The main SKU will be $499.

There is no camera required this time around, and while the specs are pretty insane, Sony makes most of the parts. They screens, the cameras, the controllers, are all made by Sony. They couldve cheaped out with the 4k screens by going with a lower resolutino panel, and no one forced them to go for OLED which tells me they had enough headroom available for a $399 headset. $500 max. This isnt like the PS5 where they have to get the APU, SSD and RAM from other manufacturers.
There were some talks from Sony about a 1440p resolution. They probably considered it, but ultimately decided to go higher.

Fredrik

While I would caution buying the launch model given the fact that Sony are likely to launch an upgraded version once the public has had its hands in PS2VR
What att you basing this on??
That sounds like a terrible strategy that will only make the most devoted and loud fans kill the positive word of mouth.

sncvsrtoip

so leaks were 100% corrent, on psvr1 games were rendered at 60fps and interpolated to 120fps for 120hz display, wonder if its possible to do 45fps games and interpolate to 90fps as 90hz is possibility now with still feeling smooth enough for vr

Bramble

Well, at least your admitting your laughable position, I guess. This will be my last reply for obvious reasons.

Except for radian clarity, owing to the lower PPR. As I've explained above, this is the aspect of a VR HMD I consider the second most important, right after tracking. Having nicer colours is nice, no arguments there - I've said this twice already - but I take zero concessions in clarity. Zero. We're not at a point yet where we have clarity to spare. Super-sampling to lower PPRs is viable, but on a fixed machine like a PS5, you'll be making heavy concessions graphically to push resolutions higher than 4k at 120hz in stereoscopic 3D. Once we're seeing resolutions that eliminate aliasing, I'm happy to make marginal trade offs for deeper blacks and more vibrant colours. But, we're not there yet on any consumer VR HMD. Quest 2 has a small advantage in clarity - we're talking less than 10% radian clarity - but at this stage, that difference is noticeable.
The PSVR was a great piece of kit, but it was ultimately pretty blurry. Skyrim on base PS4 was basically unplayable, for example. Once you tasted PCVR, it was impossible to go back. PSVR2 is a full generation ahead of that, and it'll feel amazing - no question. That's factual. But, I'd have preferred if Sony were ahead of the game, or at least offered the thing wirelessly and PC compatible. PSVR2 looks great, but it's not a mic drop - its just on par with the current PCVR space.

Awesome dude. Just let people decide for themselves if they find the difference big or not big. Absolutely no point in debating opinions.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Do you have a PC? Skyrim VR is okay out of the box but absolutely fantastic if you get HIGGS and VRIK mod so you have your character’s body,arms,hands inside the world with physics and all. Needs to be experienced.

Unless MS is choking the VR out of Bethesda we could eventually see Starfield on PC VR as well. 👌

That looks swell (it really does :)), but I do not have a gaming PC. The non console HW I get is Apple (mix of work and ease of managing the household with iOS and macOS devices in the mix).

kyliethicc

so leaks were 100% corrent, on psvr1 games were rendered at 60fps and interpolated to 120fps for 120hz display, wonder if its possible to do 45fps games and interpolate to 90fps as 90hz is possibility now with still feeling smooth enough for vr

ToTTenTranz

Banned
This will be the first ever VR headset with full HDR support, right?
The fact that no headset maker ever tried to make one is a bit odd IMO, though to be fair there are no VR games with HDR support either, so I guess this needed to come from a company that offers both the platform and the games.

Was really hoping they'd figure out a way to ditch the cable.
I heard there's a more expensive wireless version in the making.

This is for sure going to cost at least $500.

PSVR was $399 and didn’t include a camera (required) nor any motion controllers. If PSVR2 includes controllers there’s no way in hell it’ll launch for $399 as well. Not with current pricing trends (esp from Sony).
The dualshock 4 is a motion controller with embedded inertial sensors, and so is the DualSense.
The first PSVR came at $399 (camera was $50, eventually they sold $400 packs with the camera) in a time where the cheapest Oculus Rift or Vive were going for over $600.
Nowadays we have Windows Mixed Reality headsets going for less than $500 and the Quest 2 for $400. I'm pretty sure they'll keep a competitive price on the PSVR2.

Plus, it's an inside-out solution, it doesn't need external camera.

Darius87

45 is possible but it isn't enough without feeling motion sickness sweet spot is 90 fps minimum is 60 which is fine for me i'll take visuals over fps if is atleast 60 fps
interpolation is great for head movement but motion of objects still runs at set framerate.

sncvsrtoip

but is 45fps + some interpolation tricks to 90hz good enough for vr ? would give much more room for pushing even better graphics

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This will be the first ever VR headset with full HDR support, right?
The fact that no headset maker ever tried to make one is a bit odd IMO, though to be fair there are no VR games with HDR support either, so I guess this needed to come from a company that offers both the platform and the games.

I heard there's a more expensive wireless version in the making.

The dualshock 4 is a motion controller with embedded inertial sensors, and so is the DualSense.
The first PSVR came at $399 (camera was $50, eventually they sold $400 packs with the camera) in a time where the cheapest Oculus Rift or Vive were going for over $600.
Nowadays we have Windows Mixed Reality headsets going for less than $500 and the Quest 2 for $400. I'm pretty sure they'll keep a competitive price on the PSVR2.

Plus, it's an inside-out solution, it doesn't need external camera.
HDR in VR and contrast of OLED panels is a big big thing (wider FOV and foveated rendering should allow nice super sampling / resolution concentrated in a relatively limited part of the screen which ZehDon ZehDon I think you are underestimating). Having brighter colours, great contrast with well defined bright areas and detail preserved in shadowed regions, etc… HDR helps improve lighting a lot and this increase the sense of presence.

Haptic feedback on the headset, HDR + higher resolution + wider FOV (with foveated rendering), and immersive 3D sound which Sony already did a lot of work on PSVR1 … sure it could be even better and Wireless and all… but it is a massive leap over PSVR1 and it will have some solid PS5 exclusive non cross generation titles from Sony’s first party studios and hopefully some gems from third parties too.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
That sounds like a terrible strategy that will only make the most devoted and loud fans kill the positive word of mouth.

There prior release strategy, where they saw what issues consumers had and released an improved version with those resolved.

I mean I was a launch Switch owner, Nintendo started putting in a new processor after awhile which pretty much doubled the battery life while undocked. I believe a few people would feel screwed over, but I never did. Depends I guess.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned

Man...this Takashi guy still hasn't recovered from that day Sony denied his report on production problems back in 2020. (which he WAS wrong)
It's actually amusing to watch at this point, lmao.

4K = 3840 * 2160 = 8 294 400 pixels
PSVR2 = 2000*2040*2 = 8 160 000 pixels

Maybe Takashi is just super anal about resolution and he's complaining about the 1.6% difference in total pixel count.

kyliethicc

There's always a refresh mid-gen. PS4 and PS4 slim. PSVR had one too. Even the DS4 got one.

Inevitably there will be a better PS5 and a better PSVR2 released later on.

FunkMiller

If we're going to be this angsty, then 110 FOV and a better subpixel layout alone more than make up for the cable.

Plus, it can be lighter as it doesn't need to have a battery attached to it (and hence your head). I think that's actually the biggest thing that people are missing when they complain about 'but it's not wireless!'. Batteries are heavy, bulky, another thing to charge, and inconvenient to design around. There's no doubt that going wireless does have a big benefit in no cables, but I think Sony have made the right choice here

Can't say I've ever had an issue with the weight of the Quest. The internal battery lasts a good two hours plus, which is about all I can do in VR anyway.

And I hear what you're saying, but for me, the lack of being tethered to something makes VR a much better experience. I can move around freely in a large space if I want, and the immersive element just feels so much more complete.

Having said that, I can imagine PSVR2 will be excellent for seated, less active games... which is why I'll be buying one. One of my best VR experiences was Resident Evil 7.

...but the future of VR will be wireless. And I'm sure at some stage Sony will adopt it.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks this is going to be 299 is going to be disappointed. its going to be 600.

FB can sell Oculus at a loss to you for 399 due to the massive amount of data you provide for them to sell.

sncvsrtoip

45 is possible but it isn't enough without feeling motion sickness sweet spot is 90 fps minimum is 60 which is fine for me i'll take visuals over fps if is atleast 60 fps
interpolation is great for head movement but motion of objects still runs at set framerate.
I've found apparently it is possible as quest 2 do it even with 36fps
good news, 45fps target with eye tracking foveated rendering and we will get great lookings games on psvr2 (this horizon vr already looks very promising)

Last edited:

Loxus

PSVR looked incredibly blurry, owing to its very low PPR counts. The PSVR's custom sub-pixel arrangement - including higher density toward the centre of the screen - prevents the screen-door effect, with only a minimal difference to the actual clarity of the rendered image.

Cool. This means nothing. The PSVR has foveated rendering, done in software. The edges of the image are rendered at lower resolutions, with the centre of the image rendered at a higher resolution. What everyone is curious about is eye-tracked foveated rendering. This was the original definition of foveated rendering. This technique allows the image to render the precise point on the image your eyes are looking at a higher resolution, and the other areas at a lower resolution. This provides a good performance win, while ensuring every part of the image appears crystal clear to the player. If PSVR2 had this, Sony would be trumpeting it.
So how is eye tracking going to work if the foveated rendering is fix?

Kev Kev

the lack of being tethered to something makes VR a much better experience. I can move around freely in a large space if I want, and the immersive element just feels so much more complete.

Having said that, I can imagine PSVR2 will be excellent for seated, less active games... which is why I'll be buying one. One of my best VR experiences was Resident Evil 7.
i think this is the biggest difference. i dont care to ever be standing and using motion controls in VR, so seated with a controller is way ore appealing to me, so im not bothered by the wire (i literally put it off to the side and 100% can't notice it). while others may like the whole standing up moving around thing, and in that case oculus is the headset they should get.

and yes wireless in the next gen of VR will be a must. hell i wouldnt be surprised if sony came up with a way to make it wireless later this gen. but as someone who plans to just sit down with a controller, psvr2 wire isnt really a factor for me.

the price tho? i got a bad feelin about what sony is going to try and charge for this thing.

Can these be used on PCs, and are there any major limits to that compared to using a dedicated PC VR headset? Looks appealing, if there's not much lock in
Sony wouldn't want you to, because they would be selling the headset at cost at best. If you buy the headset but then run steam games, you would not be making Sony any profit. This is a console ecosystem.
hopefully Valve ports Half Life to this thing and stops being dumb
Valve would. Valve wants to spread VR and helping Sony with PSVR2 would be part of that plan. Valve never has any issues porting their games to consoles.

FunkMiller

the price tho? i got a bad feelin about what sony is going to try and charge for this thing.

More than $400 is probably suicide, given that Facebookmetanaziparty will be sticking out a Quest 3 at some point in the not too distant future for probably much less. PSVR2 is a peripheral to an already expensive piece of hardware. If they start slinging a huge price tag onto it, I can see a lot of people wanting to take up VR going to Zuckerberg, because it'll be so much easier and cheaper. Depends on if Sony are just after a hardcore market or not, I guess.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Since I first saw these Sense controllers, Ive been wondering how you are supposed to sit down and rest your arms/hands? They look like they need to be used standing up unless Im missing something.

kyliethicc

More than $400 is probably suicide, given that Facebookmetanaziparty will be sticking out a Quest 3 at some point in the not too distant future for probably much less. PSVR2 is a peripheral to an already expensive piece of hardware. If they start slinging a huge price tag onto it, I can see a lot of people wanting to take up VR going to Zuckerberg, because it'll be so much easier and cheaper. Depends on if Sony are just after a hardcore market or not, I guess.
Sony don't care about the casual market. PSVR2 isn't standalone by design.

Its a premium console accessory for hardcore console enthusiasts. They'd be thrilled with 10 million lifetime.

Meanwhile Zuck wants to sell billions of VR sets for his metaverse scheme. They're in different markets.

Same as with Apple iOS gaming and PS5 console gaming. There's overlap yes, but they're different markets.

Sony was literally the only company in the console space to use simple numerical naming for successor hardware. No one else does that, and ironically that makes something so simple, uniquely Sony.
Yeah except... Vita, aka the PSP2 lol. Maybe they learned their lesson.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm more exciting after tinkering with an Index for the last 6m+.

People need to understand that if they get this at the right price we are in for a treat.

I love the index and this is right up there with that and better in some ways.

It's great for everyone unless you're a cynical fool.

Vognerful

Sony don't care about the casual market. PSVR2 isn't standalone by design.

Its a premium console accessory for hardcore console enthusiasts. They'd be thrilled with 10 million lifetime.

Meanwhile Zuck wants to sell billions of VR sets for his metaverse scheme. They're in different markets.

Same as with Apple iOS gaming and PS5 console gaming. There's overlap yes, but they're different markets.

Yeah except... Vita, aka the PSP2 lol. Maybe they learned their lesson.
I don't think you are doing Sony a service by dismissing Quest 2 as a competitor . I mean do we really think that Sony doesn't care about reaching bigger number of customers?

In my mind the biggest disadvantage Sony has against Quest 2 or whatever will be released afterwards is the compatibility with PC, not the wireless thing. The low price of entry and being open for PCVR would always put Quest series better in being adapted in the market.

Orbital2060

I'm more exciting after tinkering with an Index for the last 6m+.

People need to understand that if they get this at the right price we are in for a treat.

I love the index and this is right up there with that and better in some ways.

It's great for everyone unless you're a cynical fool.
Its not really cynisism when some people get nauseous from using VR, like me. Ive had the brain cramp - or what you call it - a couple of times and its just terrible. First time lasted three days, and felt like I had used my brain in ways its not supposed to be used. Just thinking about it now induces a feeling of nausea. Then there is the isolation from the surroundings which is another major factor for me. And having to stand up while using it, it looks like.

These are the reasons why VR not yet has gone mainstream, because for most people gaming is a social thing and you want to see the people you are playing with.

This is not being cynical, they are just basic facts of how people play videogames.

Anyway I still want to know if those Sensor controller can be used sitting down, because it looks like the bracelets are going to need some space when youre holding onto it. But I cant tell from this information.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Once you drop the wire after playing with a headset attached there's just no going back.

Extremely impressive hardware but I'll be sticking with Quest for the foreseeable future.

Sanepar

Sony is being stupid one more time. With only 17 studios. All of them should be focused on games for traditional audience. There is a small audience for VR and they need more exclusives per year. Ms have 23 studios making games from traditional audience.

Now moving to create cars. They didn't learn anything what bankrupt them with distraction divisions in the past.

They don't vr to compete they need more studios.

Buggy Loop

Ugh, the Horizon reveal calls it a VR Experience. 🤮 I'm not paying £400 for more "Experiences"

This is surprising to me too honestly. Feels like we’re back to 2010’s with VR experiences on rail.

Disney Junior Train GIF by Pikwik Pack

My VR legs might be better than average now, but it seems I always play games with full control, except racing/flight sims (duh).

KAL2006

Banned
Honestly I think Sony will have a VR focused PlayStation Event very soon. I'm thinking a few weeks after Gran Turismo 7 release. April would be a good time. With release date for September.

The event could show the hardware. More VR game announcements. VR patches for Resident Evil 7 and Gran Turismo 7. Hell we could even get a surprise VR mode for Last of Us Remake. Maybe a GTAVR update, that could be massive.

Darius87

Sony is being stupid one more time. With only 17 studios. All of them should be focused on games for traditional audience. There is a small audience for VR and they need more exclusives per year. Ms have 23 studios making games from traditional audience.

Now moving to create cars. They didn't learn anything what bankrupt them with distraction divisions in the past.

that's the point you need AAA VR games to increase your audience how else you expect to grow VR market?
17 studios is a lot for first party and it's quality studios some of them working on multiple projects also sony has many support/outsource studios for help and sony still haven't done acquiring new studios so it will get better. 3rd party also makes games for vr it could be exclussive deals, so don't be premature by calling stupid.

ToTTenTranz

Banned

Sony is making more than enough money out of their 1st party studios and they're also guaranteeing a much larger attach rate than their competition could dream of.

VR is part of their long game. They're taking risks.

shaddam

I"m 99% sure day one. Hopefully it will work with psvr, and I'm hoping for some (un)official pc support, because I'd like to try some lewd games too :messenger_tears_of_joy:
PSVR game compatiblity would be really great, I bought some game on sale, ps plus gave me too, but I dont have psvr

Top Bottom