• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces "Perfect for PS5" Sony TVs

kyliethicc

The first 'Perfect for PlayStation 5' TVs are Sony's A80J, A90J, X90J, X95J and Z9J models. Two new gaming features (HGiG and ALLM) will come to PS5 and the TVs by the end of 2021.

Perfect for PS5​

Déjà vu? Last year, Sony announced 'Ready for PlayStation 5' and the company is now expanding the initiative to cover two additional features. It will henceforth be known as 'Perfect for PlayStation 5'.

- "‘Perfect for PlayStation 5’ TVs will bring in two brand-new PS5 exclusive features – Auto HDR Tone Mapping and Auto Genre Picture Mode. They also support frame rates up to 120fps in a super-crisp 4K resolution as specified in HDMI 2.1 in compatible games," announced Sony.

Judging by the descriptions, these appear to be HGiG mode (HDR Gaming Interest Group) and ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode), respectively, perhaps with some special Sony tweaks. If you are unfamiliar, you can learn more about HGiG here and ALLM here. Or in our TV reviews.

Sony added that Z9J has input lag as low as 6.0ms in 4K120 mode while the four 4K models come in at 8.5ms in 4K120 mode. Only a handful of PS5 games support 4K120 output at this time. Input lag will be higher in standard 4K60 mode, as measured in FlatpanelsHD's reviews.

HGIG
Auto HDR Tone Mapping With Auto HDR Tone Mapping*, the HDR settings will be optimised instantly during your PS5 initial setup. The PS5 will automatically recognise individual BRAVIA TV models and select the best HDR setting for the TV accordingly. With the optimised HDR tone mapping level to your BRAVIA display specification, you’ll see crucial details and colours even in high contrast scenes. For instance, you will get the addition of detailed objects on the track in Gran Turismo 7 so you know just how to make your next move. *Software updates on both PS5 and BRAVIA are required. Available by the end of 2021.

XqYqQEp.jpg

ALLM
Auto Genre Picture Mode BRAVIA XR TVs can detect whether you are playing a game or watching movies and shows. With Auto Genre Picture Mode, your TV automatically switches into Game Mode when gaming, which minimises input lag to make the action more responsive, or to Standard Mode when watching movies via a streaming service or from an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc on the PS5, which shifts focus to picture processing for a more expressive picture.
Auto Genre Picture Mode will be available via a future software updates on PS5 and BRAVIA TVs by the end of 2021.

Software updates by late 2021​

Sony's 2021 high-end LCD TVs (X90J, X95J and Z9J) and OLED TVs (A80J, A90J) will be the first models to support the two new features that will be added through a software update by the end of 2021. PS5 will also require a software update.

- "Auto HDR Tone Mapping and Auto Genre Picture Mode will be available via a software update on PS5 and BRAVIA TVs by the end of 2021," the company said.

Furthermore, Sony's new HT-A7000 and HT-A5000 soundbars will gain support for the new features through a software update in spring 2022.

Edit - Already delaying it lol classic Sony

"Software updates on both Playstation®5 consoles and BRAVIA are required, and will be available by end of January 2022."

W710ARC.jpg

Edit - video by Vinnie explaining this feature

Last edited:

GriffinCorp

Finally! Been looking forward to this for a long long time. I've been holding out for a Sony model... A90J please!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If GT7 has giant bright sunlight like that. but needs HGIG to fix, there's something wrong with GT7 daytime visuals to begin with.

Never the less, more gaming features added to TVs the better. Always good to have options. I'd wait until the features actually available to update instead of buying and waiting. You never knew if a TV OS update will be on time.

I have a 900e and the OS updates come out at totally random times. And one update they said would fix the arc sound issues didnt fix on my set up. And for people who had the issue stemming from the Oreo 8 OS update, we all had to wait for the post patch that came over a year later.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
If GT7 has giant bright sunlight like that. but needs HGIG to fix, there's something wrong with GT7 daytime visuals to begin with.

Never the less, more gaming features added to TVs the better. Always good to have options. I'd wait until the features actually available to update instead of buying and waiting. You never knew if a TV OS update will be on time.

I have a 900e and the OS updates come out at totally random times. And one update they said would fix the arc sound issues didnt fix on my set up. And for people who had the issue stemming from the Oreo 8 OS update, we all had to wait for the post patch that came over a year later.

New to HDR advertising?

The HDR on/off comparisons are always moot unless the images/videos are done in HDR and then viewed on a HDR capable device (even then, the quality of said device will have the final say on what you ultimately end up seeing).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

kyliethicc

My 900H is like?

Season 2 Episode 13 GIF by The Adventures of Pete & Pete
Your TV was only "Ready for PS5" not "Perfect for PS5" lol

Does the lack of VRR and the fact that they are labeling this as "perfect for PS5" a sign that VRR will never be coming to PS5?
Nah, they've said multiple times PS5 will support VRR later.

Everyone thought the same thing about the M.2 SSD expansion, but it just took time.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Well, that's my new tv.

edit: or maybe not going by the opinions in here :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Shit i need a new tv before elden ring\dying light 2\horizon 2 get released...

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah have seen that will wait until they are done beta testing it but thanks though

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Auto HDR is nice; curious how it works. I hate fiddling with my TV's picture settings because I don't actually know what I'm looking for (I mean I can tell when a game has HDR on or off, but not sure what "good" HDR looks like - as opposed to just a washed out image).

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Good business decision. And it's also great if you're buying them at the same time, which is something I'm planning to do.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
ALLM
Auto Genre Picture Mode BRAVIA XR TVs can detect whether you are playing a game or watching movies and shows. With Auto Genre Picture Mode, your TV automatically switches into Game Mode when gaming, which minimises input lag to make the action more responsive, or to Standard Mode when watching movies via a streaming service or from an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc on the PS5, which shifts focus to picture processing for a more expressive picture.
Auto Genre Picture Mode will be available via a future software updates on PS5 and BRAVIA TVs by the end of 2021.
Sony TV's already do this.

Well I plan on updating my lg c1 to c2 next year... but if sony will play the ball, I might reconsider
Lol why? Unless it has a heatsink that is pointless. C1 is bad ass if you got a good panel..

I'm guessing the heatsink model will probably be the g2.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not sure if it's the same but one of my Sony TV switches mode automatically if a film comes on or sports etc.
Also game mode.
Yeah it's just called Auto Picture Mode, it Also sets the TV to 24p when it detects it.

Mr Moose

Isn’t it odd that they don’t even promise to add VRR in the future? Auto tone mapping and ALLM are cool though.

LG for life though, I would never buy a Sony TV.
They do.

Features specified in HDMI2.1 4K120/eARC/VRR*/ALLM
Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) Yes (for HDMI™3/4)*

*VRR will be available via a future firmware update.
They are doing updates for older TVs now:

rofif

Banned
Lol why? Unless it has a heatsink that is pointless. C1 is bad ass if you got a good panel..

I'm guessing the heatsink model will probably be the g2.
There is some annoying gradient color banding but I am unsure if it's just panel being so good it is very critical on the source.
But that's nitpicking. I just want to replace my living room 42" 2008 sony bravia with my 48" c1. My wife uses it, so she can have easier access to netflix and all other apps... and I might just get a new tv or another c1

There is some annoying gradient color banding but I am unsure if it's just panel being so good it is very critical on the source.
But that's nitpicking. I just want to replace my living room 42" 2008 sony bravia with my 48" c1. My wife uses it, so she can have easier access to netflix and all other apps... and I might just get a new tv or another c1
Gradients are not good on lg in general, that's their main downside atm. Sony has great gradients, so maybe next year see what sony offers if that really bothers you. Although, Sony's motion is currently worse than LG so, trade off.

I hope Sony can match LG's artifact free motion interpolation on c1 and match 2017 sony tvs in smoothness, because they've gone backwards. I'm less confident that lg can fix their gradation smoothness.

I just dropped $1800 today on the LG65C1 so I'm set for now. Sony TVs are pretty damn good though. If the LGC1 wasn't such a beast I would've went Sony.

Top Bottom