• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony airlifting PS5 systems to meet Christmas demand in the UK

Animated GIF

i'd understand if there were games to play. might as well just hold onto your PS4 lol. people really that desperate for demons souls and ratchet/clank? horizon, god of war, and GT will be on PS4.
My PS4 is broken, and i want a ps5 but they don't want to sell me one. So no dice. Not paying off scalper. Will wait. got a switch and 3060ti. ..

TrebleShot

Ps5 is the de facto current gen system to own.
the balance between price and power with actual exclusives is hard to ignore.

MrA

Banned
Something is off, tho. Delta doesn't operate 747, as per their main web pages:
Aircraft Specification : Delta Cargo

They are also not using specific cargo aircrafts, just using the cargo space on commercial flights. So maybe 60 Flights, but definitely not at full capacity of the plane and nothing close to full on cargo flights.
if that's the case they are probably taking advantage of the lower demand for air travel. airlines want planes full, sony wants PlayStation 5s in the UK, UK gamers want to play fifa (just a joke I know they like gta 5 as well, joke but I'll go into it more in a moment) and sony wants them playing fifa on PS5 not xsx, win for everybody involved.
I do mean it seriously though about fifa (well and gta and cod) fans sony fans are going to buy a ps5 for sony/3rd party exclusive, ms fans will be xsx will buy for ms offerings, people looking for the console with the most exclusive stuff they want are going to decide on games, the people that only play fifa/cod/gta are the ones in play simply by supplying units, and once that momentum gets established, that's game the winner gets that huge audience in their system as the circle of friends that plays together goes with the same system as their friends..

Flutta

Banned
In some ways it doesn't make sense though - there is no alternative product to buy. There are no Series X available. So you've got either Series S or a Switch if you can't get a PS5.

This shipment is for xmas tho. Look, MS, Sony, Nintendo sell most of their products during xmas season than any other time during the year. We talking millions of console in a short time period.

Series S or the X doesnt really matter that much for the casuals. They need to lock those presents. And Switch is a monster during these times. Most of the the time kids would rather have a present than not getting what they wished for. If he wanted a PS5 but none was available his parents would get him whats available instead. Thats a loss for Sony.

So imo it definitely makes alot of sense. I mean they are using ✈️ to ship consoles. Console wars is a serious business no matter what the suits tell you. Money money money.

BlackTron

PS5 is better even if it would have no game. Before PS5, I hated my Pro. Noisy, long load times, slow. It would overheat and shut down when on the matchmaking screen of MW2019 a bit too long.

For those reasons alone a PS5 is a good replacement. As a bonus PS4 games load faster and might look better.
PS5 is without a doubt better but I think everyone would be able to tolerate their PS4 Pro's a lot better with a SSD in there.

I intended to swap out the HDD from the beginning, and had experience with base PS4 in the past, but I was still APPALLED by what a slog the Pro was to use with the stock HDD for its first day of use before the SSD showed up in the mailbox. I can't believe ANYONE does that shit.

Justin9mm

i'd understand if there were games to play. might as well just hold onto your PS4 lol. people really that desperate for demons souls and ratchet/clank? horizon, god of war, and GT will be on PS4.
I'm guessing you don't own a PS5, because if you did, you would know there is much more to the experience than a couple of PS5 Exclusives.

I'm guessing you're also that gamer who forms opinions on games without playing them!

rofif

Banned
150 creates?
Ps5 box is huge. Likely less than 50 On a pallet. That’s 7500 Units. So like 20 minutes sale

Shmunter

Side bit but related. What’s up with streaming then, why are consoles selling better than ever. We don’t need consoles with streaming is the mantra. Seemingly it’s not really capturing mindshare at all.

skit_data

I really thought Sony would shift their production to produce more Digital Editions and that they would be their new ”main” so to speak. Looking at the demand there is no slowing down as far as the eye can see. Must be pretty crazy to sell the Standard Edition and making a profit on all those consoles. I’m not entirely sure they were expecting that tbh.

Edit: With that said, we don’t know the split between SE and DE, but if it remains about 1:10 when it comes to DE that’s a ton of profit to be in the first year of the consoles lifecycle.

Last edited:

T0minator

But being able to play

God of War
Horizon Zero Dawn
Ghost of Tsushima
and alot of their other favorite PS4 games boosted to 60fps and 4k with faster loading is a great motivator to want a PS5. I got one on launch day ...I haven't turned on my PS4 since

MrA

Banned
Side bit but related. What’s up with streaming then, why are consoles selling better than ever. We don’t need consoles with streaming is the mantra. Seemingly it’s not really capturing mindshare at all.
considering the "dead" video disc market still sells 10s of millions of discs a year, I'd say the all-digital-only how dare you want physical types over-estimate the death of physical products

Shmunter

I really thought Sony would shift their production to produce more Digital Editions and that they would be their new ”main” so to speak. Looking at the demand there is no slowing down as far as the eye can see. Must be pretty crazy to sell the Standard Edition and making a profit on all those consoles. I’m not entirely sure they were expecting that tbh.
Producing a digital only console erodes the retail market. As can be seen by physical sales it’s far from over.

Further to that, with the much smaller portion of physical sales on Xbox - retail will/is evolving their prime spaces to Sony. People venturing out to the shopping malls will see nothing but Sony and mindshare snowballs. Smart play to stay in it.

Kerotan

When will be the first price drop be? Christmas 2025?
It depends on demand. If supply doesn't catch up it will never drop. Next holiday €500 for sure. The big question is will it last at €500 until holiday 2023. Don't forget many ps5 are sold for €570 with a game bundled. The first step will be to €500 with a game bundled.

Trimesh

Banned
if that's the case they are probably taking advantage of the lower demand for air travel. airlines want planes full, sony wants PlayStation 5s in the UK, UK gamers want to play fifa (just a joke I know they like gta 5 as well, joke but I'll go into it more in a moment) and sony wants them playing fifa on PS5 not xsx, win for everybody involved.
I do mean it seriously though about fifa (well and gta and cod) fans sony fans are going to buy a ps5 for sony/3rd party exclusive, ms fans will be xsx will buy for ms offerings, people looking for the console with the most exclusive stuff they want are going to decide on games, the people that only play fifa/cod/gta are the ones in play simply by supplying units, and once that momentum gets established, that's game the winner gets that huge audience in their system as the circle of friends that plays together goes with the same system as their friends..

It's the other way around - most airfreight is carried as cargo on passenger aircraft, so if there is low passenger demand and flights get cancelled the cargo capacity drops too. It's just that sea logistics are totally screwed - one of my friends is a cargo agent and right now he can't even get a shipping date estimate from the big port at Yantian in southern China because their bonded area is basically full of containers awaiting loading. Over at the Port of LA, it's the other way around, the ships are backed up and can't unload because the port is full and there aren't enough trucks to move the cargo out.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
150 creates?
Ps5 box is huge. Likely less than 50 On a pallet. That’s 7500 Units. So like 20 minutes sale
Do you seriously think that Sony does all that effort just to sent out 7500 ps5? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

MrA

Banned
It's the other way around - most airfreight is carried as cargo on passenger aircraft, so if there is low passenger demand and flights get cancelled the cargo capacity drops too. It's just that sea logistics are totally screwed - one of my friends is a cargo agent and right now he can't even get a shipping date estimate from the big port at Yantian in southern China because their bonded area is basically full of containers awaiting loading. Over at the Port of LA, it's the other way around, the ships are backed up and can't unload because the port is full and there aren't enough trucks to move the cargo out.
that explains it just as well then

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Air freight isnt cheap. It's not like Sony is making profits on PS5s anyway. Sony taking a loss on their air shipped PS5s big time.

reksveks

Producing a digital only console erodes the retail market. As can be seen by physical sales it’s far from over.

Further to that, with the much smaller portion of physical sales on Xbox - retail will/is evolving their prime spaces to Sony. People venturing out to the shopping malls will see nothing but Sony and mindshare snowballs. Smart play to stay in it.

I thought I would reshare the Microsoft and Gamestop partnership.

It's a pretty nice solution to the growing digital trend.

Trimesh

Banned
150 creates?

Since this is airfreight, they are probably LD7s, which are 88" by 125" - a standard pallet is 40" by 48" , so the aircraft ULD has about 50 times the surface area, although the stacking limit may be lower. My guess is that you would hit the floor weight limit before you hit the capacity limit.

Shmunter

I thought I would reshare the Microsoft and Gamestop partnership.

It's a pretty nice solution to the growing digital trend.
Interesting. I guess they wouldn't bother stocking Xbox consoles at all if they didn't get a cut - why would they, it works against their business model. Wonder if they get Gamepass revenue also

reksveks

Interesting. I guess they wouldn't bother stocking Xbox consoles at all if they didn't get a cut - why would they, it works against their business model. Wonder if they get Gamepass revenue also
I think they do. I have a feeling that there might be a similar relationship with Game here in the UK for the Xbox All Access plan.

I don't know if we have any graphs to the seemingly rising trend of DTC per different product categories and also retail breakdown between in-store and online. But that would be interesting to see.

Last edited:

Retail is almost dead. And the big bois like EA and Activision are giving their customers more and more incentives to buy digital, because that's how they make even more money. Mentioning CDs is kinda weird when you realize that CD sales dropped by a whopping 97% since 2000 and that CDs account for less than 4% of the music industry revenues. Coincidentally, boxed software sales only account for 4% of Playstation revenues 🤭

TL;DR:

Basketball Ok GIF by Malcolm France

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Retail is almost dead. And the big bois like EA and Activision are giving their customers more and more incentives to buy digital, because that's how they make even more money. Mentioning CDs is kinda weird when you realize that CD sales dropped by a whopping 97% since 2000 and that CDs account for less than 4% of the music industry revenues. Coincidentally, boxed software sales only account for 4% of Playstation revenues 🤭

TL;DR:

Basketball Ok GIF by Malcolm France

I still like buying some games on Disk. For example, I'f i'd bought ratchet digitally and completed it in one weekend for £70 I would have cried but I got £58 Cash back which made me feel a lot better about the situation plus I managed to grab it for £60 quid thanks to deals on boxed products over the digital store.

jm89

GAME have been dropping ps5 stock last 2 weeks and now this week according to one of the reliable stock alert accounts, that has never happened. Normally they drop and then you wait another 3-5 weeks for another drop.

Jimbo really wants to take home turf early on.

Last edited:
I still like buying some games on Disk. For example, I'f i'd bought ratchet digitally and completed it in one weekend for £70 I would have cried but I got £58 Cash back which made me feel a lot better about the situation plus I managed to grab it for £60 quid thanks to deals on boxed products over the digital store.
Same reason I buy Switch games mostly physically. Actually made a decent profit when selling Ring Fit Adventure.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
GAME have been dropping ps5 stock last 2 weeks and now this week according to one of the reliable stock alert accounts, that has never happened. Normally they drop and then you wait another 3-5 weeks for another drop.

Jimbo really wants to take home turf early on.

I popped into my local game last weekend just for the funk of it and asked them how it was all going. They said that PS5 is going quite well all things considering, they seem to get stock atleast once every two weeks and sell it out that week.

Series X they said they have seen two rounds of deliveries over the last 4 months. Series S seems to be getting the lion share of stock :/

Hope MS get it sorted for halo and Forza.

Sony know how important the market is and they are obviously pulling out all the stops to make sure as many customers as possible can get the console in time for Xmas.

T-Cake

Most of the the time kids would rather have a present than not getting what they wished for. If he wanted a PS5 but none was available his parents would get him whats available instead.
I totally disagree with that based on my family. Heck, one of the kids is going to go mental if I give them a Series S instead of an X. His friends would bully him for having the "cheap, crap" one. Someone who wants a PS5 is going to return that Switch on December 26th.

Last edited:

Honey Bunny

Will be nice when they have exclusives to ship too 😭

Pls no ban i am a sony pony, which is why ive played everything on ps5 before 🤐

Last edited:
Top Bottom