• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony 2022 OLED TV Lineup possibly leaked

ParaSeoul

Wondering if Samsung will have WRGB OLEDs at a lower price maybe between Neo QLED and QLED lines since QD OLEDs are between the MicroLED and Neo QLED lines.

kyliethicc

- Better input lag and response times
The LG C1 and Sony A80J have identical response times.

And the difference in input lag is like 8 ms. No one will notice that.

- 4K@120 Dolby Vision
PS5 doesn't support Dolby Vision. That's why Sony doesn't care.

Sony created and runs the HGiG. And they explicitly say in HGiG documentation that TVs do not need a specific HGiG mode or toggle (like LG TVs include.) Sony themselves know what TVs need for the HGiG principles to work correctly because they wrote them.

- G-Sync and AMD Premium FreeSync (For us PC gamers)
- Game Optimizer settings w/ Framerate Overlay
Again, useless for PS5 gaming. That's why Sony doesn't care.

NeroDaGod

Gold Member
As someone who’s not too savvy on this subject. Can someone recommend me a good and if possible, the best gaming oled tv for the ps5

Ivan

I'm a big Sony TV fan, but LG still has a much lower input lag, I wonder if they'll improve it on new models. A company so deep in gaming should know... They even had ultra low latency on some older LCD models.

Last edited:

dolabla

42" size + Sony processing + their focus on shadow detail = dream come true. That 42" will be mine. Really hope this all true. Just hope they have 4 HDMI 2.1 ports on all these.

Ivan

I wonder people don't talk about black crush/loss of shadow detail on C1... It has to be calibrated to fix that and that's not an easy nor cheap task for most people. I even find many popular professional reviews misleading in that sense, they professionally calibrate sets first, and than do everything else. That's not what people are going to see at home.

Last edited:
whatever OLED you buy it's still an LG panel. As far as I know there ain't any other OLED display makers.

When you buy a Sony OLED it's still gonna have an LG display. Sony are just putting it in their own design with their logo on it and the processor inside will be whoever they go with. Still no matter what Sony do there's only so much you can do because all OLEDs are essentially the same and only as good as LG make their displays.

it's a bit silly to be fanboying over sony vs lg. Sony OLED ain't gonna be much better than an LG OLED and vice versa.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I wonder people don't talk about black crush/loss of shadow detail on C1... It has to be calibrated to fix that and that's not an easy nor cheap task for most people. I even find many popular professional reviews misleading in that sense, they professionally calibrate sets first, and than do everything else. That's not what people are going to see at home.
who cares, it’s not our responsibility to care about what others do with their set. most people leave their sets in vivid/torch mode. we care about what the tech is capable of, those of us that care don’t mind the price of a good calibration or have the tools to do it ourselves. the rest? they don’t care, they just like the punchy contrast and inky blacks, color accuracy and shadow roll off detail don’t matter to them.

LG crushes blacks, Sony has the worst TV OS, still hasn’t fixed the 5v hdmi flaw on every set they make, and Samsung over saturates their sets and makes it almost impossible to calibrate the color perfectly. there is no perfect set and no perfect brand.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Stupid prices is par for the course for Sony. Everything Sony branded costs at least 50% more than the equivalent from other makers, and that’s being conservative.

I’ll never understand how it’s convenient for electronics makers to make so many different models for so many different price brackets every year. The model naming conventions are always inevitably confusing, and the lower-tier models are always stripped of features that cost peanuts but you have to fork out hundreds of $ more to get the next model in line that has those features and little more. It’s especially scummy regarding remotes, if you want the better remote you’ll have to spend a lot more $$$ and the rest of the TV’s specs will be 99% the same.

I don’t doubt Sony’s premium products are quality, but I’m also pretty sure they could sell their products for less.

ikbalCO

i hope sony go back to it's tilted back designs for their oled tv line. no tv has ever looked cooler than sony af9.

sony_af9_review_rear_angle.jpg

1533055263_sony-launches-af9-master-series-oled-televisions-with-x1-ultimate-processor.jpg

Ivan

Funny thing is that I hated the idea of tilted TV when A1E launched and now it looks super cool to me. Not sure i'd buy one though.

Excess

PS5 doesn't support XYZ. That's why Sony doesn't care.
Are you suggesting that Sony manufacturers televisions specifically for PS5? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. I mean, even if we were to assume this, what about people who own multiple devices and want every feature? It's why gamers continue to purchase LG over Sony OLED.

Sony created and runs the HGiG. And they explicitly say in HGiG documentation that TVs do not need a specific HGiG mode or toggle (like LG TVs include.) Sony themselves know what TVs need for the HGiG principles to work correctly because they wrote them.
Categorically false. HGiG is a consortium. Nobody "runs" it, and Sony certainly doesn't partake in it to decide it's not relevant. They are adding it to their 2022 sets.

Since this is a thread about TVs can anyone point me in the right direction. Looking to get a 75" TV that will be ideal for gaming. I currently have a samsung 65" but the HDR is absolute garbage on it... can barely see anything if I play during the daytime. Any suggestions on decent TVs for gaming sub $3k?

OZ9000

Banned
You started saying you want a sub-42" TV.

Now you're flipping to saying you don't want a TV.

Make up your mind.

If you want a 30-39" monitor, go buy one. Plenty exist.

If you want a small TV, then buy a 42-48" model.

Who Knows Idk GIF

I wouldn't know.

But I promise you that Sony Bravia TVs won't be where you find them lol.

Its like going to an Apple store and asking "where are the affordable Android phones?"
There is not a single good quality monitor at the 40" size.

The picture quality and HDR of most monitors is garbage.

whatever OLED you buy it's still an LG panel. As far as I know there ain't any other OLED display makers.

When you buy a Sony OLED it's still gonna have an LG display. Sony are just putting it in their own design with their logo on it and the processor inside will be whoever they go with. Still no matter what Sony do there's only so much you can do because all OLEDs are essentially the same and only as good as LG make their displays.

it's a bit silly to be fanboying over sony vs lg. Sony OLED ain't gonna be much better than an LG OLED and vice versa.

The 2022 Sony top of the line OLED will be using Samsung's panels.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Sony sure as fuck will be more expensive then LG

Pagusas

Elden Member

2022 has Samsung entering OLED bulk pannel sales, and Sony is already one of the buyers.

Also a lot of people confuse this, but OLED's are mass produced by LG Displays, a separate company from LG consumer electronics. Still technically owned by LG Corp, but the way they are structured they operate independently and LG CE buys from them. The reason I bring this up is LG Display has its own research division and has partnerships with Samsung, Apple, Sony and Panasonic to develop unique display tech for each.

Last edited:
I'm a big Sony TV fan, but LG still has a much lower input lag, I wonder if they'll improve it on new models. A company so deep in gaming should know... They even had ultra low latency on some older LCD models.
Change "much" to barely significant (in one scenario) and you'd be right. For example :

C1 60hz signal with bfi engaged - 21ms. A80j - 24 ms. That is an un detectable difference unless you're a cyborg like me AND are actively trying to spot side by side differences. And it's probably a placebo effect. I could not tell a difference in normal viewing.

C1 60hz signal with boost mode - 10 ms. A80j 16 ms (no 120hz signal simulation available). That is riiight where it starts to be significant, but you must sacrifice bfi to see it. It's also not that big a deal as 16 ms is VERY responsive. The difference in input lag from one game to another is a far, far bigger factor in how responsive a game is.

Sony's input lag is a touch higher because the processing is doing a better job, i.e. upscaling and gradient handling (color banding). Basically Sony's doing everything right here but a boost mode would be appreciated.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Not the Sony A90j?
Its great too but cmon its like 5% better for almost double the price.

Are you suggesting that Sony manufacturers televisions specifically for PS5? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. I mean, even if we were to assume this, what about people who own multiple devices and want every feature? It's why gamers continue to purchase LG over Sony OLED.

Categorically false. HGiG is a consortium. Nobody "runs" it, and Sony certainly doesn't partake in it to decide it's not relevant. They are adding it to their 2022 sets.

Yes Sony doesn't give a fuck about PC/Xbox/Nintendo gamers. They literally don't care.

And..

"Note that “HGIG” is a registered trademark or trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc."

There is not a single good quality monitor at the 40" size.

The picture quality and HDR of most monitors is garbage.
And Sony doesn't care or seek to provide a solution for that market failure.

They don't make PC monitors. That's LG/Samsung/Acer/etc who do that. Sony makes TVs.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Since this is a thread about TVs can anyone point me in the right direction. Looking to get a 75" TV that will be ideal for gaming. I currently have a samsung 65" but the HDR is absolute garbage on it... can barely see anything if I play during the daytime. Any suggestions on decent TVs for gaming sub $3k?

For HDR movies/gameplay during the day with light coming in I'd get an LCD. My personal choice would be Sony 75X95J:

The Samsung QN90/94/95A has many more dimming zones but Game Mode currently sucks ass on Samsung sets so overall the PQ will be better (possibly much better) on the Sony in Game Mode.

If you can light control the room (narrow black out blinds) during the day then definitely get a 77" OLED (OLEDs don't come in 75") over any LCD, my choice again is Sony, so the 77A80J but the LG 77C1 is an amazing choice too. The OLEDs will be $3K or a smidge over.

Kuranghi

Sony sure as fuck will be more expensive then LG

It was until this year, for OLED I mean.

In the UK the A80J is £100 more than the C1 in 55", the same price in 65" and actually £100 cheaper for the 77" (55" £1399/£1299, 65" £1799 and £2999/£3099 in 77"). The nuts part is the 83" C1 is the same price as the 83" A90J, which I was blown away by. Both £5499.

So the Sony is cheaper than the LG in 77" and 83", same for 65" and a tiny bit more expensive for 55". Fucking nobbers should've had those prices when I was trying to sell them, I was working with £1299 vs £1799 lmao.

Every pitch had to be all about the Acoustic Surface audio so there was no answer to that with the LG but they'd often just say they had a good sound system already and I was fucked unless I could double down on the unique features of AS.

For HDR movies/gameplay during the day with light coming in I'd get an LCD. My personal choice would be Sony 75X95J:

The Samsung QN90/94/95A has many more dimming zones but Game Mode currently sucks ass on Samsung sets so overall the PQ will be better (possibly much better) on the Sony in Game Mode.

If you can light control the room (narrow black out blinds) during the day then definitely get a 77" OLED (OLEDs don't come in 75") over any LCD, my choice again is Sony, so the 77A80J but the LG 77C1 is an amazing choice too. The OLEDs will be $3K or a smidge over.
Awesome! Thank you for the info I'll definitely check them out, been leaning more towards OLED, it's going to be a basement which has full windows but can be easily darkened, also I mostly game at night so I think the OLED is a no brainer.

Kuranghi

Awesome! Thank you for the info I'll definitely check them out, been leaning more towards OLED, it's going to be a basement which has full windows but can be easily darkened, also I mostly game at night so I think the OLED is a no brainer.

Its gotta be OLED then. I prefer Sony due to image quality advantages it has and how it handles motion for Film/TV watching (Not games) but it doesn't have VRR yet and will be added at a later date (Max March 2022 I would say) and the LG C1 has that now. So get the LG C1 if you need VRR right now.

Also some of the differences in image quality might not be noticeable for you, so if you buy a C1 don't think I'm saying its got a bad image or anything, it will still be the best looking TV you've ever had most likely and will blow you away.

Maybe convince the wife to sell one of the children and get the 83"!

Just make sure you send us some photos of your basement setup if you can.

Last edited:
Top Bottom