• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony 2020 TV range is ready for PS5

Vizios are affordable, but the problem is their panel lottery. I have a 65C7 OLED, and an 82" Samsung LED. I originally purchased the OLED for gaming with my PS4 Pro. But after watching a few 4K movies on the OLED, they looked so good that I didn't want to ruin the TV by gaming on it, so I picked up the 82" Samsung for the PS4 Pro. Currently I'm debating on whether I should get the 48CX, 55CX or 65CX next.
That's the big problem with Vizio, you get what you pay for. On Vizio low-end, they're one of the least reliable televisions out there. They have made strides on their top of the line quantum series, though.

TCL's Vidrian is what I'm interested in the most. They're also bringing mini-LED to their 6 series.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
No. They’re underrated, if anything. Do you not have a modern phone with OLED display? Compare it against one that isn’t. It’s a dramatic difference in darker settings.
Yes, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus; however, it's unfair for me to compare it to phones with local dimming, because I've never seen such a phone.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Will she even notice? Those kind of things bug the shit out of me, but my parents wouldn’t even be able to see them if I tried to point them out to me. My wife and parents thought I was crazy when I returned 2 TVs to find one with ok uniformity
My mother would probably research DSE and learn what to look for.

That's the big problem with Vizio, you get what you pay for. On Vizio low-end, they're one of the least reliable televisions out there. They have made strides on their top of the line quantum series, though.

TCL's Vidrian is what I'm interested in the most. They're also bringing mini-LED to their 6 series.

Even their top model, the Quantum X, had horrible bandind and dse issues. Go peruse the owners thread on AVS if you want to see. And if you are dropping thousands of dollars on a tv, lime the Quantum X, you'd expect much higher quality control but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

I am a huge Vizio fan and have owned multiple M and P series sets over the years, I think their M series is one of the best bangs for your buck out there, even above the TCL 6 series. Unfortunately they've still got a shitload of work to be done on their quality control.

jadedm17

It appears that the OLED models don't have HDMI 2.1, which is an epic level of stupid.

I didnt read any linked articles but the one i read the other day said one branded PS5 ready tv was only 60hz@4k as well.

The LG CX is the tv im leaning towards but i do like the idea of the branding and wish it was simpler to find a solid gaming tv for next gen. :(
(I also would like 32-42 inch ideally which is proving difficult. May do 48.)

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
39405224.jpg

JeloSWE

I don't know which TVs you're talking about, my Q950R didn't have grey blacks in game mode, my newer Q950TS doesn't either so perhaps you could be more specific about the TV model you're talking about(the cheaper ones with less dimming zones?).
Bad new. Samsung and Q950TS is still exhibiting grey black in game mode (13:36).

Ulysses 31

Bad new. Samsung and Q950TS is still exhibiting grey black in game mode (13:36).

That's more a blueish haze than grey blacks shown there, the very next scene doesn't shows any "grey" blacks. o_O

I don't have HZD so there might be something specific about that game because generally, the blacks are generally black in game mode to me. I have the LG CX too so I know what perfect blacks look like.

HDTVTest and Stop the Fomo aren't fans of the Q950TS judging from their reviews though FOMO has warmed up a little more to it after seeing Lawrence of Arabia on it. :p

Last edited:

JeloSWE

That's more a blueish haze than grey blacks shown there, the very next scene doesn't shows any "grey" blacks. o_O

I don't have HZD so there might be something specific about that game because generally, the blacks are generally black in game mode to me. I have the LG CX too so I know what perfect blacks look like.

HDTVTest and Stop the Fomo aren't fans of the Q950TS judging from their reviews though FOMO has warmed up a little more to it after seeing Lawrence of Arabia on it. :p
The next scene is about how highlights are dimmer on the Samsung so the cameras exposure level has very likely been lowered so not to blow out the white portions of the stone, and this will make the grayer blacks harder to spot. But it's STILL showing more raised shadow details in the rock wall if you look closely. I trust Vincents word here as I've seen the worse Game mode dimming on my previous Q900 with my own eyes. It was plain to me when I switched game mode on and of that the dimming was worse in generally dark scenes. Never seen that happen on my Sony's.

Samsung is quite alright when it comes to the Movie experience but it's in the gaming department they lack, they have low input lag yes but the rest hasn't been so great.

Ulysses 31

The next scene is about how highlights are dimmer on the Samsung so the cameras exposure level has very likely been lowered so not to blow out the white portions of the stone, and this will make the grayer blacks harder to spot. But it's STILL showing more raised shadow details in the rock wall if you look closely. I trust Vincents word here as I've seen the worse Game mode dimming on my previous Q900 with my own eyes. It was plain to me when I switched game mode on and of that the dimming was worse in generally dark scenes. Never seen that happen on my Sony's.

Samsung is quite alright when it comes to the Movie experience but it's in the gaming department they lack, they have low input lag yes but the rest hasn't been so great.
I'd like to see what picture settings he's using, the shadow detail setting of the Q950TS can make shadows darker without dimming the rest of the screen and I use -2 since otherwise the shadows indeed look a bit too bright for my taste.

Top Bottom