• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony “Blew it With the PS5 Digital Edition,” Says Analyst Michael Pachter

cryptoadam

Banned
As I said the DE is a mirage. I bet 90% of people won't even be able to find one for at least 6 months to a year after launch. Its just for Sony to have a 399$ sticker price and get good press. Once they can get cheaper components into it they will start producing more and pushing it. For now its a loss leader to head off MS's 299$ cheap box.

It wouldn't even shock me if Sony didn't even make any DE's outside of 1 original run.

Pachter has always had some of the worst takes in the industry.

3 things the DE helps accomplish:
- It gives the PS5 something to compete with the Series S in the "budget" space
- No used games, rentals, borrowing - also means less potential used games for those with disc drives
- Less incentive to sell your console when all of the content is locked to your account

Just those three things and I'm sure many more are well worth the supposed $40 loss he pulled out of nowhere. Like all major new hardware the production cost will reduce substantially in no time at all so pretty soon the "loss" shouldn't even be a factor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom