• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s PlayStation 5 outspent Microsoft’s Xbox Series X three to one In Launch Ads

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
From October 19 to Nov. 15, Sony spent $15 million on ads for its PS5, while Microsoft spent about $5 million on ads for the Series X, according to a new report from advertising and sales intelligence platform MediaRadar, which analyzed ad spend across print, TV and digital.

The report found that Sony spent about $7.3 million up to the day of launch, while Microsoft spent about $3 million. Although competitor Nintendo did not release a new console, the report found that it too increased its ad spend. From Nov. 2 to Nov. 15, Nintendo’s ad spend was 138% higher than the previous two weeks.

v8RADRz.jpg

Thanks to those three category leaders, Todd Krizelman, CEO and founder of MediaRadar, says the two-week period at the start of November (Nov. 2 to Nov. 15) was the most active for the video gaming category in terms of ad spend so far in 2020. Overall, the video game industry spent more than $45 million on ads, up 80% year-over-year.

MrMephistoX

Also know the agency Sony uses is way more expensive than the agency MS uses so from the outset their production budget was insane then tack on media buying and holy shit.

DustQueen

Banned
I think MS kinda knew that they ll not start strong. Plus production of the new consoles is a tricky thing in 2020.
They were barely ready for the it as it is.
So I think they ll make their push later. Now is PS5 time.

RaySoft

Wasted money if you ask me.. Playstation brand don't need this yet. Maybe towards the end of this gen, when MS probably has a firm garsp on cloud gaming....
Edit: My point was that PS don't need a mindshare boost as of now.

Last edited:

kyoji

Gaf is funny, remember when Sony wasnt marketing enough? when the marketing team sucked? etc etc. that was only a month ago. My how things changed, now the advertising money could have been better spent lmao.

Kudos to Sony, you couldnt watch anything in a 24 hour period on ESPN and other outlets without seeing a playstation ad every other commercial break.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I don't think I've seen a single xbox series x commercial whereas I've definitely seen several ps5 commercials which were great btw. Kind of annoying tbh that I haven't seen a single one though for XsX hello microsoft hello are you there ??!?

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It’s obvious that MS didn’t produce anywhere near as many XSX consoles as Sony did PS5s. Eventhought they get gobbled up, I see PS5s going on sale almost daily at PS Direct (follow Wario64) and other stores, while I pretty much never see an XSX go in stock aside from maybe once a week. I was pretty much content to believe I wouldn’t get a PS5 but I stayed up and was able to secure a PS5 on midnight on release day and was able to get one, which got delivered that Saturday. I also ordered an XSX from MS store on release night (meaning I ordered it before PS5) and it still has not shipped and I have only seen very brief announcements of stores having it in stock.
With that in mind I doubt MS has the availability to justify massive ad expenditures.

Last edited:

Calverz

Because sony are more reliant on hardware sales than microsoft. Its not really surprising. Good for them. Would love to see their financials for the launch window.

Money lost in advertising
Money lost on each console sold
Money lost on the funding of lets be honest, too many launch exclusives (didnt need as many)
Money lost on share price at the announcement of cross gen games.
Im sure they’ll make it up as gen goes on.

kyoji

Because sony are more reliant on hardware sales than microsoft. Its not really surprising. Good for them. Would love to see their financials for the launch window.

Money lost on the funding of lets be honest, too many launch exclusives (didnt need as many)
So what is MS gaming division reliant on?... Game pass? i got news for you..

People baffle me when they try to dismiss hardware. You do realize xbox hardware is still the single most relative entry point to using game pass right? Just because they offer other ways to gain access doesnt dismiss the primary method. Keep in mind if hardware was not important they would have moved on from it by now, but they realize if they do that its essentially suicide at this point. Stop drinking the kool aid so much.

Kuranghi

What the hell are you talking about, isn't it TWO games? How is that too many lol

Unless you mean "launch window"?

And they didn't need to. Neither of them did since stock seems to suck, probably would have been better spent early next year.

I don't think selling through the initial stock is the goal. It is the mindshare, which needs to start at the beginning.

Right now, all indicators show PS5 as producing/selling about 2x the number of Xbox Series consoles.

Despite there being more available, the demand for PS5 is still considerably higher. This is obvious just by seeing how much more PS5s are being sold for by resellers.

PS5 is winning the mindshare right now and history shows us that how these things go from the launch tend to play out for the entire generation - or the gap actually even continues to grow as success brings more success.

I think it is safe to say Sony knows what they're doing. They've had enormous success with all four of their previous consoles sitting among the top five best-selling home consoles of all-time.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Will Nintendo outsell them both with their ad spending? I think Nintendo will win this Christmas mainly because they will have more supply and a better price point.

Unknown?

Gaf is funny, remember when Sony wasnt marketing enough? when the marketing team sucked? etc etc. that was only a month ago. My how things changed, now the advertising money could have been better spent lmao.

Kudos to Sony, you couldnt watch anything in a 24 hour period on ESPN and other outlets without seeing a playstation ad every other commercial break.
Hahaha yeah it's ridiculous how they flip flop but let's be honest... the only people thinking they didn't advertise enough were "concerned" trolls.

Allandor

Last edited:
Top Bottom