• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s 2021 TV lineup runs Google TV and fully embraces HDMI 2.1

I saw Robert from value electronics interview and I can’t believe I’m considering cashing in on my A8h warranty on BF for the a90j. But that thing just sounds incredible.

But seriously, not gonna do that but damn it’s tempting. I’ll hold out for that master series QD oled with heatsink I guess :p

You cats with money and have been waiting to upgrade have the perfect option!

That's kind of expensive. Better have more zones than 950g if that's the case.

I agree. At those prices I’d rather consider the LG CX as they move to this year’s models or a G1 near BF.

I will say that I’m enjoying the A90J. The picture is great. I really enjoy seeing texture details on clothing and sets. I even appreciate the texture differences on clothing like horribly animated shows like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse when the kids are watching.

I wish broadcast tv was crisper, but at least the motion is good. The thing that probably irritates me the most on broadcast tv is the slight bit of artifacts that I see around the outlines of people/objects. Maybe I need to update settings. I’m just using the default cinema settings right now.

I do notice slight stuttering on pan shots here and there. I haven’t had a chance to game on it yet, I’ve been holding our newborn in the evenings to give my wife a little break.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Man, they are making it hard for me not to go in on the A90J.

I'm interested but shit I'm reading about the 900H still worries me.

Random software jankyness for instance w/ HDR that goes unpatched (along with the more known issues w/ 120hz blurriness and people still waiting on other HDMI 2.1 features to be patched.)

I feel like everything surrounding HDMI 2.1 is a crapshoot.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Random software jankyness for instance w/ HDR that goes unpatched (along with the more known issues w/ 120hz blurriness and people still waiting on other HDMI 2.1 features to be patched.)

I've never experienced random software jank. It has been smooth as butter and super fast/responsive.

2.1 has been a nightmare, yes. While it hasn't impacted me yet, the standard needs to get their shit together. Especially the odd EDID shit that impacts all brands.

I’ll be happy playing 4K 60 HDR. Hopefully I’ll be ready for a new set by the time HDMI 2.1 is settled. I’d keep the A90J primarily for watching and a new tv for gaming. I did buy the Best Buy warranty for burn in protection, so I plan on playing without worrying about it and replacing the tv, if necessary, by a new model that has any kinks ironed out.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I've never experienced random software jank. It has been smooth as butter and super fast/responsive.

2.1 has been a nightmare, yes. While it hasn't impacted me yet, the standard needs to get their shit together. Especially the odd EDID shit that impacts all brands.
Good to hear; I'm waiting for the 75"+ 2021 models from all brands to show up.. then pulling the trigger.

Or spend another year waiting for the next set of TVs lol

Housh

900h was all broken promises. Read the fine print with these new tvs before spending the cash. I hope Sony updates their 2020 TVs with what we were promised otherwise class action lawsuit on their half baked hdmi 2.1 features in last year's model.

900h was all broken promises. Read the fine print with these new tvs before spending the cash. I hope Sony updates their 2020 TVs with what we were promised otherwise class action lawsuit on their half baked hdmi 2.1 features in last year's model.

Apparenrly, the 900H fine print always said it was coming in the spring of 2021. That’s what I was told on AVSforum.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Maybe since I am older my eyes arent as great as they used to be but I love my 900H and game often in 4k 120fps with HDR and I think its looks great.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Im very tempted.
Do It GIF

I agree. At those prices I’d rather consider the LG CX as they move to this year’s models or a G1 near BF.

I will say that I’m enjoying the A90J. The picture is great. I really enjoy seeing texture details on clothing and sets. I even appreciate the texture differences on clothing like horribly animated shows like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse when the kids are watching.

I wish broadcast tv was crisper, but at least the motion is good. The thing that probably irritates me the most on broadcast tv is the slight bit of artifacts that I see around the outlines of people/objects. Maybe I need to update settings. I’m just using the default cinema settings right now.

I do notice slight stuttering on pan shots here and there. I haven’t had a chance to game on it yet, I’ve been holding our newborn in the evenings to give my wife a little break.
Yeah for sure man, An lg CX vs. a (probably) 60 zone lcd from Sony for the same price? No brainer lol. Hell the A8h is teetering around that price as well, saw it for 1500 as well. Sony needs mini led for their lcd line desperately, and I would like to get a 49" lcd to replace my 49" x900e with 32 zones and 32ms lag (2 frames basically) in the game room lol. But these refreshes aren't cutting it.

Glad to hear you like it, not sure what to make of the artifacts, is it like ghosting/breakup or more like halo ringing? If it's 720p cable, that doesn't help but I wonder. What motion settings are you using? I've honestly never updated my A8h once thus far, and don't plan on it unless I hear of a specific fix/upgrade ; you never know, updates can also make things worse.

Last edited:
Yeah, 900h was a bad misfire. It's a significant step back compared to the 2017 x900e even, in terms of picture processing.

It cut corners to get a 2.1 chipset ; you lose smooth gradation option and from what i've seen in addtion to it just being brighter with no more zones - which results in more blooming - the picture algorithms in general don't do as good a job. Upscaling as well.

X950h still retained the x1 ultimate chipset with all the picture processing options but with no 2.1.

Last edited:
I'm not saying the x900h is useless ; if you can get a very good price, and in absence of a real successor to sony's 2017 lcd line, you've got a Ps5/SX ready TV *after updates and despite 120hz blur. For people that have to buy now, and can't afford oled, it may make sense.

It's just that it's disappointing that Sony has both dragged their feet in upgrading their lcd line, halted progress and in some areas even regressed.

Last edited:

Metnut

Really eyeballing the 75 inch X90J but would rather pay $2000 instead of the likely $2500.

Do the prices on these things ever drop before Black Friday?

Really eyeballing the 75 inch X90J but would rather pay $2000 instead of the likely $2500.

Yep, first big drop around late may, early june typically. A8h launched at 2300 but in June it was 1900 when I bought it. Wait for that if you can't wait all the way to BF/Fall.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It cut corners to get a 2.1 chipset ; you lose smooth gradation option and from what i've seen in addtion to it just being brighter with no more zones - which results in more blooming - the picture algorithms in general don't do as good a job. Upscaling as well.

X950h still retained the x1 ultimate chipset with all the picture processing options but with no 2.1.
It was a major upgrade to me over my 2017 Sony. Not only the black levels, but colors and IQ. The scaling seems the same as well for 1080p content.

They did last year around late Summer to September, so if that trend continues, there is a chance.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

All manufacturers except LG and Samsung being restricted to just 2x HDMI 2.1 ports, of which one must be used for eARC leaving only 1 to share between 2 consoles and a PC, is still a major issue in 2021. Only LG and Samsung seems relatively future proof with their own SOC and consequently 4x HDMI 2.1 ports.
Huh?
My PC is connected to a 2.1 port and my xsx is connected to the other "eARC" port, no issues here.

It was a major upgrade to me over my 2017 Sony. Not only the black levels, but colors and IQ. The scaling seems the same as well for 1080p content.
What 2017 Sony?

A same Zone count TV with a lower end chip is not a major upgrade. Factually downgrade. Hell you can even check rtings page and the native contrast is worse than 900e.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What 2017 Sony?

A same Zone count TV with a lower end chip is not a major upgrade. Factually downgrade. Hell you can even check rtings page and the native contrast is worse than 900e.
I had an IPS, thus the major upgrade for me. Especially for $850 and some change. IQ is on par, scaling is on par, colors and blacks were a major upgrade due to VA vs IPS. Both 120hz panels.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh well then yes, that is a major upgrade my friend. Sony's IPS are not good lol.
Picture quality was great and I have very little ghosting compared to some of the nightmarish ones I seen. Also did the warm up and rub trick day 0 to mitigate most of it. But yes, blacks were not that desirable, but not horrible compared to a lot of other IPS panels I seen. Motion was great as well.

Only bought it at the time because it was a banger deal. Was mainly monitor gaming for all platforms back then. The X900H is night and day, however.

Still leaning towards to A90J or maybe just skip until 2022 since I am plenty content at the moment.

Last edited:
Picture quality was great and I have very little ghosting compared to some of the nightmarish ones I seen. Also did the warm up and rub trick day 0 to mitigate most of it. But yes, blacks were not that desirable, but not horrible compared to a lot of other IPS panels I seen. Motion was great as well.

Only bought it at the time because it was a banger deal. Was mainly monitor gaming for all platforms back then. The X900H is night and day, however.

Still leaning towards to A90J or maybe just skip until 2022 since I am plenty content at the moment.
If you can afford it, and care enough I say go for it round Black Friday. If you are content, you probably shouldn’t upgrade though. Nothing better than feeling content with what you got lol. At least the 900h has really good input lag.

I think I will wait to upgrade the A8H until at least 2023, can do it at any time though with BB warranty.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you can afford it, and care enough I say go for it round Black Friday. If you are content, you probably shouldn’t upgrade though. Nothing better than feeling content with what you got lol. At least the 900h has really good input lag.

I think I will wait to upgrade the A8H until at least 2023, can do it at any time though with BB warranty.
Got the same warranty. You just can't beat it.

S0ULZB0URNE

I usually buy a new set every 2 to 3 years.
The X90J releases a year after the 900H and isn't as good.
I am hoping it's successor the X90i(?) uses more than 32 zones and is significantly brighter or maybe I will consider this years X950J or next years X950i(?)

32 zones again...

7bac5a6d5ed3307310e5db1e1bc1e0e2.gif

And possibly worse contrast than 900h? Got DANG Sony that is sad if true lol.

Edit : the possible worse contrast could be because of a significant brightness increase. Be interesting to see the reviews on x90J.

Last edited:
Yeah for sure man, An lg CX vs. a (probably) 60 zone lcd from Sony for the same price? No brainer lol. Hell the A8h is teetering around that price as well, saw it for 1500 as well. Sony needs mini led for their lcd line desperately, and I would like to get a 49" lcd to replace my 49" x900e with 32 zones and 32ms lag (2 frames basically) in the game room lol. But these refreshes aren't cutting it.

Glad to hear you like it, not sure what to make of the artifacts, is it like ghosting/breakup or more like halo ringing? If it's 720p cable, that doesn't help but I wonder. What motion settings are you using? I've honestly never updated my A8h once thus far, and don't plan on it unless I hear of a specific fix/upgrade ; you never know, updates can also make things worse.

Maybe I’m sensitive, but the outlines of anything are not crisp and text seems jaggy. I assume it’s artifacts. It’s a whole lot better than other 4K TVs I’ve seen.

Maybe I’m sensitive, but the outlines of anything are not crisp and text seems jaggy. I assume it’s artifacts. It’s a whole lot better than other 4K TVs I’ve seen.
I think it's probably just the cable signal, hell I remember even seeing artifacts on my parents 2008 samsung lcd when HD was fresh lol. Unless you're seeing the same thing on blu rays? Which would seem really strange honestly.

Paulxo87

Looks expensive this year lol.. I got my 75" X900H for $1600 and honestly it's all the tv i'll need for years to come. I could care less about hdmi 2.1.

Also don't dunk on 32 diming zones. Sonys algorithm is excellent. Black levels on the x900H are insane.

I think it's probably just the cable signal, hell I remember even seeing artifacts on my parents 2008 samsung lcd when HD was fresh lol. Unless you're seeing the same thing on blu rays? Which would seem really strange honestly.

I think it’s the cable signal. I used to watch a 37 inch TV at a distance of 12 feet, so I wouldn’t be able to see that stuff. my cable box is also from 2014. Maybe I need a new one.

Last edited:
IKR

They are stopping production on the 900H so to those who want it or were waiting on the(downgraded) X90J... you better hurry up and get one before they are gone.
Maybe, depends on how accurate that info is but i'm not necessarily doubting it. Trying to think why it'd be that way though.

It's weird because the X90J shares the same processor as the A90J, according to Sony (which may explain the extra cost compared to 55 inch 950g/h) which is the main area 900h suffered compared to older sets. It *really* shouldn't be worse lol. I saw your brightness slide as well... which doesn't really explain the blooming pic you posted so, not sure. Perhaps the local dimming settings are different?

It'll be interesting to see when more people get their hands on it.

The 32 zones bit I definitely believe lol.

Top Bottom