• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s 2021 TV lineup runs Google TV and fully embraces HDMI 2.1

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony-Bravia-XR-models-989x549.jpg

Variable refresh rate, 4K at 120Hz, ALLM, and eARC are standard across the line

Last year’s TV lineup from Sony took a bit of criticism since several sets were unable to take advantage of next-gen gaming features on the PlayStation 5 that shipped in November. Even if you look right now, the spread of HDMI 2.1 features is pretty sad. Sony never really acknowledged this as a mistake, believing that customers purchase its TVs for different reasons and not everyone needs every box checked off.

What a difference a year makes.

In 2021, Sony is correcting course: all of its premium “Bravia XR” 4K (and yes, 8K) TVs support 4K at 120Hz, VRR (variable refresh rate), ALLM (auto low latency mode), and eARC. No asterisks or gotchas or promises to add stuff later with firmware updates.

Thanks to kyliethicc kyliethicc :

"And for gamers, Sony has confirmed that all the XR TVs will feature HDMI 2.1 compatibility, including 4K 120fps, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and eARC, supporting higher resolutions and frame rates ideal for next-generation gaming. Sony stated when asked by AVForums that the HDMI 2.1 inputs will be 48Gbps."

Also, according to HDTVTest Vincent, all new 2021 Sony TVs will support the better kind of Dolby Vision HDR, aka full fat DV.

Thanks to Kuranghi Kuranghi

Owners of these new TV's for reference:

X90J: ManaByte ManaByte (55") + dolabla dolabla (50")

Last edited:

dave_d

Not in the market but my bro is so I should give him a heads up. Then again, does anybody know if the screens are really 120hz at all sizes or if they do that "stuff" where the smaller screens accept a 120hz signal and "simulate" it?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not in the market but my bro is so I should give him a heads up. Then again, does anybody know if the screens are really 120hz at all sizes or if they do that "stuff" where the smaller screens accept a 120hz signal and "simulate" it?

This is strange, what TV does that? I think that's misleading marketing.

dolabla

The X95J not coming in a 55" or 49" this year. That sucks, specifically the 49" for me. 49" is not even a size this year. They upped it to 50" and put it in the X90J lineup. Will have to get the 50". That will barely, and I mean barely, fit in the space for me. There's no way I can go bigger.

Super happy with HDMI 2.1 and VRR right out of the box, hopefully full bandwidth just cause. If the X90J is as good as my 49" X900E (which I'm sure probably will be given new tech, I really regret selling this tv), I will be a happy camper.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The new lineup:

X90H successor for example:

I was looking at the X90H but i was willing to wait for this years. I will buy just before Xmas as that class of tv is usually £1799 then £1499 then £1299 down to £899 before Xmas. That's when I'll buy. Drops to around £799 or £699 about now.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The X95J not coming in a 55" or 49" this year. That sucks, specifically the 49" for me. 49" is not even a size this year. They upped it to 50" and put it in the X90J lineup. Will have to get the 50". That will barely, and I mean barely, fit in the space for me. There's no way I can go bigger.

Super happy with HDMI 2.1 and VRR right out of the box, hopefully full bandwidth just cause. If the X90J is as good as my 49" X900E (which I'm sure probably will be given new tech, I really regret selling this tv), I will be a happy camper.

Yeah the smaller options come at 50" and 55" on X90J. I might pick the X95J as I'm looking to go bigger. Glad I waited and didn't buy the X90H.

I was looking at the X90H but i was willing to wait for this years. I will buy just before Xmas as that class of tv is usually £1799 then £1499 then £1299 down to £899 before Xmas. That's when I'll buy. Drops to around £799 or £699 about now.

Yup, same here. Better wait until late year or so for the best price. I was about to get X90H but wanted to see 2021 lineup first, glad I did.

kyliethicc

Exciting stuff! Love that they're support HDMI 2.1 fully now.

I hope the 55" X90J is still just $1000. Thats my next TV if so, as long as its just as good or better than the X90H.

Last edited:

dave_d

This is strange, what TV does that? I think that's misleading marketing.
A bunch of the Samsungs if I remember correctly. I was looking at possibly getting a smaller one of those for a monitor. (In the 40-50" range) Anyway when I looked into it they said they'd support 120hz but then you had to do a ton of work to find out that the display itself actually ran at 60hz and used software smoothing. However on the bigger high end TVs (the Q90 65" and bigger) really did run at 120hz.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A bunch of the Samsungs if I remember correctly. I was looking at possibly getting a smaller one of those for a monitor. (In the 40-50" range) Anyway when I looked into it they said they'd support 120hz but then you had to do a ton of work to find out that the display itself actually ran at 60hz and used software smoothing. However on the bigger high end TVs (the Q90 65" and bigger) really did run at 120hz.

Those are probably HDMI 2.0 but support 1080p@120Hz.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I got my 75" 900H and honestly it's all the tv i'll ever need for ten years. Quality esp black levels are stunning
TBH if I wanted one now I would buy that model as I would just try 120hrz mode once and then back to 60hrz with VRR.
Its just that I'm happy with my Sony 1080p hooked up to a Series S. It would be criminal for me to throw out the perfectly good tv. I do have a 4k Sony hooked up to my SX tho so I'm not desperate.

Just as i thought, but in terms of the hardware the only innovation (for sony) will be the 9J oled if it has Panasonic's custom panel at 1000 nits. The rest is a repackaging with hdmi 2.1 added. Now let's see Samsung's mini led displays.

Paulxo87

TBH if I wanted one now I would buy that model as I would just try 120hrz mode once and then back to 60hrz with VRR.
Its just that I'm happy with my Sony 1080p hooked up to a Series S. It would be criminal for me to throw out the perfectly good tv. I do have a 4k Sony hooked up to my SX tho so I'm not desperate.

The baseline quality for most of these tv's have just gotten so good that it's a lot of grasping at straws honestly...

HTK

Banned
I'm waiting for this years OLEDs, I'm sure all of them will support 4k/120hz, VRR, and ALLM but I'm interested in Input Lag.

Last years LG was pretty improved with 1MS Response Time and Input Lag:
1080p @ 120 Hz - 6.8 ms
1440p @ 120 Hz - 6.6 ms
4k @ 60hz - 13.4

I'm kind of annoyed that by the sounds of it their new 32inch model is still only 720p.

I really don't want a bigger TV, and at that size 1080p is good enough, so the fact they're apparently sticking with such a low resolution, even compared to similar smaller screen models from LG, Samsung and the like, is just annoying.

dolabla

Yeah the smaller options come at 50" and 55" on X90J. I might pick the X95J as I'm looking to go bigger. Glad I waited and didn't buy the X90H.

Yup, same here. Better wait until late year or so for the best price. I was about to get X90H but wanted to see 2021 lineup first, glad I did.
Yeah, same here with the X950H. I almost bought the 49" after I sent my 48" LG OLED back (got damaged in transit, didn't bother to get another one because just decided OLED wasn't for me due to my gaming habits of playing older games with lots of static elements). It not having HDMI 2.1 held me back. Glad I waited and decided to go with Sony again. I love Sony's colors on their tv's.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sounds very nice. I've been very happy with my Sony LCD from 2017 (and Android TV), and while I don't really feel a need to upgrade it doesn't support the HDMI 2.1 stuff of course. So I might start thinking about it...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm waiting for this years OLEDs, I'm sure all of them will support 4k/120hz, VRR, and ALLM but I'm interested in Input Lag.

Last years LG was pretty improved with 1MS Response Time and Input Lag:
1080p @ 120 Hz - 6.8 ms
1440p @ 120 Hz - 6.6 ms
4k @ 60hz - 13.4

C9 is 6.5ms for 4K@120Hz, CX I think 7.4ms. Sony X90H was marketed as 7.2ms but Vincent showed 6.5ms. Now all the Bravia XR lineup are marketed as 8.5ms so we need rtings.com to test them or HDTVtest.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Where Sony shines is their upscaling quality and color accuracy. Their processing is outstanding

Yup I use my 2016 4K HDR X70D for photo/video editing, color accuracy is critical. Overall they've been the best in the industry in image processing and color accuracy out of the box.

Yeah, same here with the X950H. I almost bought the 49" after I sent my 48" LG OLED back (got damaged in transit, didn't bother to get another one because just decided OLED wasn't for me due to my gaming habits of playing older games with lots of static elements). It not having HDMI 2.1 held me back. Glad I waited and decided to go with Sony again. I love Sony's colors on their tv's.

Yeah OLED is great but not for 24hr+ usage in my case.

kyliethicc

"And for gamers, Sony has confirmed that all the XR TVs will feature HDMI 2.1 compatibility, including 4K 120fps, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and eARC, supporting higher resolutions and frame rates ideal for next-generation gaming. Sony stated when asked by AVForums that the HDMI 2.1 inputs will be 48Gbps."

great news Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem

Also, according to HDTVTest Vincent, all new 2021 Sony TVs will support the better kind of Dolby Vision HDR, aka full fat DV.

Last edited:

Fredrik

This is great, I’ve been super satisfied with the Bravia KD 65XE9305, but I want VRR.
Still need lots of reviews first though, seems like there are traps everywhere, and I need a new AVR too so no rushing into anything here.

I almost bought "65 LG CX on Black Friday sale for my PS5, but I wanted to wait for this year's models.
Still rocking with my "55 LG B6.

Would be nice to have a Sony tv for a change, but let's see what this year's LG models will bring. But an OLED it will be..

Kuranghi

Hope you can get hdr on more then 2 inputs this time around. Bought a new Sony last year and was unimpressed. Samsung is the way to go.

Explain your issue please, what were you trying to input on each HDMI port? You have/had more than 2 devices outputting 4K60+444+HDR?

I can see how it would be annoying if you had a PC, PS4 Pro/PS5 and an X1X/XSX.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

For 2021 is panasonic vs sony for my new oled tv.

I never had a sony oled before, i'm kinda curious.
Sony OLEDs use LG panels, so I bet they'e very good. Not sure if as good as LG, but we'll see.

I don't like how the stands on LG TVs look, or the remote & UI in their TVs. And LG dropped support for DTS via ARC, which is annoying.

And Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision or DTS audio, also annoying.

dolabla

Yup I use my 2016 4K HDR X70D for photo/video editing, color accuracy is critical. Overall they've been the best in the industry in image processing and color accuracy out of the box.

Yeah OLED is great but not for 24hr+ usage in my case.

Yeah, I was worried about lower framerate content since most games run at 30fps console. Never got to experience it on OLED, but I remember reading OLED isn't exactly the best for lower framerate content. In the end it was mainly burn in worries. With LCD, I just don't have to worry about it. I can just plug and play for as long I want to.

GymWolf

Sony OLEDs use LG panels, so I bet they'e very good. Not sure if as good as LG, but we'll see.

I don't like how the stands on LG TVs look, or the remote & UI in their TVs. And LG dropped support for DTS via ARC, which is annoying.

And Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision or DTS audio, also annoying.
All oled use lg panels, i have a panasonic right now with an lg panel.

I usually don't care about audio stuff, i'm not exactly an audiophile, same for the stands or remote or general look of the tv, i only care about the image quality.

Top Bottom