• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

News Sony’s 2021 TV lineup runs Google TV and fully embraces HDMI 2.1

TKOFromTokyo

Jul 20, 2020
So all the options she's showing that are on the C1 and not on the A90J don't matter?

He shits on basically every higher end tv for clicks. Most people that are spending the money on the A90J know what they’re getting vs the LG. The tv is for movie watching first, gaming second. I won’t give him any clicks because I’ve seen enough in the past. Therefore, I can’t speak to the individual content, rather his typical approach. He’s a joke to the AV crowd.

Last edited:

ethomaz

is mad because DF didn't do a video on a video of a video of a video on PS5
Mar 19, 2013
Brazil
My 2012 PLASMA has no fix.
New TV here we go.

But Sony doesn't sells TV anymore in Brasil.

Which others options? I'm trying to find that TV thread on GAF.

Reactions: Kerotan

ethomaz

is mad because DF didn't do a video on a video of a video of a video on PS5
Mar 19, 2013
Brazil
I’d probably go LG CX. I don’t think that the C1 is worth the price. It has all of the gaming features you’re looking for.

What TKOFromTokyo said if money's tight, otherwise the G1 for the higher brightness and more relaxed ABL.
I was thinking about that.
CX 55".

The C1 is not launched here yet and the CX is already in heavy discounts reaching R$4500.

I think I will wait the C1 launch to see if the CX goes even lower.

Reactions: TKOFromTokyo

TKOFromTokyo

Jul 20, 2020
I was thinking about that.
CX 55".

The C1 is not launched here yet and the CX is already in heavy discounts reaching R$4500.

I think I will wait the C1 launch to see if the CX goes even lower.

Yeah, makes sense to wait for the C1 to launch. I assume G1 prices in Brazil will be crazy, hence why I didn’t recommend it.

StateofMajora

Aug 7, 2020
I’d probably go LG CX. I don’t think that the C1 is worth the price. It has all of the gaming features you’re looking for.
Yeah if C1 is like 100 bucks more i'd get it since you do get better motion interpolation for movies and it seems like the new panel is on C1 models ; you don't get the higher peak brightness of the G1 but if the panel is using less electricity you may have a tad less burn in risk.

But no way is c1 worth 300 bucks more.

Reactions: TKOFromTokyo

ManaByte

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2004
California
manabyte.com
Just watched Fury Road on the X90J in Dolby Vision and Atmos.

Saturday Night Live Love GIF by The Lonely Island

StateofMajora

Aug 7, 2020
Still waiting on Sony to contact me back, but they do everything they can to not get you a replacement of course. It’s the weekend so hopefully tomorrow. Will appeal several times if they say no though.

Definitely getting the A90J at the lowest price with mah BB warranty if not and am definitely not getting another oled without a heat sink.

I don’t even know if heat caused the banding but the less I worry about overheating the better lol.

If LG had a heat sink I might go with them if Sony denies me (out of spite xD) and it’s not like I can’t calibrate the LG. But yeah...

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Apr 17, 2015
Still waiting on Sony to contact me back, but they do everything they can to not get you a replacement of course. It’s the weekend so hopefully tomorrow. Will appeal several times if they say no though.

Definitely getting the A90J at the lowest price with mah BB warranty if not and am definitely not getting another oled without a heat sink.

I don’t even know if heat caused the banding but the less I worry about overheating the better lol.

If LG had a heat sink I might go with them if Sony denies me (out of spite xD) and it’s not like I can’t calibrate the LG. But yeah...

I'm dreading the day I have trouble with my ZD9 and have to do a warranty claim, its going to be:

Sony support: "We don't have the parts to repair your ZD9 so we will replace your TV with a the top backlit LCD model from this year, it has a new processor better than what you have now, what a upgrade you're getting!"

Me: *checks spec and finds out it has 32 dimming zones*

i love lucy GIF

StateofMajora

Aug 7, 2020
I'm dreading the day I have trouble with my ZD9 and have to do a warranty claim, its going to be:

Sony support: "We don't have the parts to repair your ZD9 so we will replace your TV with a the top backlit LCD model from this year, it has a new processor better than what you have now, what a upgrade you're getting!"

i love lucy GIF
Would they even cover you still? But yeah lol, hope it stays working bro.

They got back with me and asked for pictures of every solid color slide on the youtube app. Gave it to em' yesterday morning, waiting on response.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Jan 30, 2020
Oxfordshire, England

i love lucy GIF
I'm fully with you on your cocern.

A week ago, I realised I'd missed the firmware update to 6.7140 - as the previous usb firmware install seemed to have stopped the over the air updates - and so I stupidly installed it, and it didn't go smoothly on my ZD9.

Thankfully the TV is working with no sign of an actual problem, but it had me thinking I'd bricked the set for about 10mins with it seeming like it was blank screening for ages, multiple times and doing too many reboots, and now the TV always shows a corrupt image (pixel fine colour garbage buffer) straight after the screen shuts down in a restart. I've tried reboot in safe mode, factory reset, even clearing storage cache's of every installed app after the factory reset, but still no change.

Now I'm worried the internal SD storage (the AndroidTV OS) lives on is on its way out. I wouldn't mind so much if the new 75" Z9J was priced already, and it was £6,000 at most, but realistically, if my ZD9 fails, I'll probably just have to either restore my old X9 to the lounge , get a budget TV for a year or two, until I could pickup a highly discounted 8K XR enabled Sony TV, or pay that money to get it repaired. I really wish there was a way to do a repair re-install of a TV's firmware with a laptop, like you can with Sony's smartphones/watches. The lack of a redundant external storage option for a TV's OS is a pretty crappy trojan horse setup for modern TVs too IMHO.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: Kuranghi

StateofMajora

Aug 7, 2020

A week ago, I realised I'd missed the firmware update to 6.7140 - as the previous usb firmware install seemed to have stopped the over the air updates - and so I stupidly installed it, and it didn't go smoothly on my ZD9.

Thankfully the TV is working with no sign of an actual problem, but it had me thinking I'd bricked the set for about 10mins with it seeming like it was blank screening for ages, multiple times and doing too many reboots, and now the TV always shows a corrupt image (pixel fine colour garbage buffer) straight after the screen shuts down in a restart. I've tried reboot in safe mode, factory reset, even clearing storage cache's of every installed app after the factory reset, but still no change.

Now I'm worried the internal SD storage (the AndroidTV OS) lives on is on its way out. I wouldn't mind so much if the new 75" Z9J was priced already, and it was £6,000 at most, but realistically, if my ZD9 fails, I'll probably just have to either restore my old X9 to the lounge , get a budget TV for a year or two, until I could pickup a highly discounted 8K XR enabled Sony TV, or pay that money to get it repaired. I really wish there was a way to do a repair re-install of a TV's firmware with a laptop, like you can with Sony's smartphones/watches. The lack of a redundant external storage option for a TV's OS is a pretty crappy trojan horse setup for modern TVs too IMHO.
Really firmware updates are a bad idea on TVs. I never use them as streaming devices or anything so there's 0 reason for me, but you never know when an update will fuck something up.

A couple weeks ago was the first time I updated my A8h and it was only because I had to for Sony to start the claims process. Never even had it connected to Wifi.

But if there's an issue with a TV that a firmware can solve of course i'll update to that, and then promptly disconnect from the internet again lol.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: PaintTinJr

PaintTinJr

Jan 30, 2020
Oxfordshire, England
Really firmware updates are a bad idea on TVs. I never use them as streaming devices or anything so there's 0 reason for me, but you never know when an update will fuck something up.

A couple weeks ago was the first time I updated my A8h and it was only because I had to for Sony to start the claims process. Never even had it connected to Wifi.

But if there's an issue with a TV that a firmware can solve of course i'll update to that, and then promptly disconnect from the internet again lol.
I did consider that back at day one, but the TV firmware has gone through multiple AndroidTV versions (6.0 -> 9.0 IIRC) and features like 4K youtube/iplayer, Netflix with Dolby Vision, HLG HDR weren't available prior to version 8.0 IIRC - with no external streamer boxes supporting them until much later than the TV got its update - and hdmi control was buggy, and AndroidTV seemed sluggish, so needed updates - or so I thought until I replaced the crappy virgin superhub3 with a high-end router.

We just got used to updating for streaming purposes, and as we use screen casting and Sony's Video & Tv SideView (remote control app) keeping the android kernel security patches up-to date seemed like a necessary security measure. With a newer Tv, today it is probably easier to just use an external box - while keeping the TV offline.

Kuranghi

Apr 17, 2015

This has happened to me as well since the last update, the garbage buffer before it goes to the android animation, only twice so far but I rarely restart the TV, I just turn soft power it off and its always plugged in at the wall. The blanking happened on first restart for me also, and I learned from this group that its happening to many people after the update, hopefully there is a final update at some point we can replace it with: