• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Sonic the Hedgehog' Movie Races to Paramount

BlastCore

Banned
When Sony Pictures is smart enough not to pick up a project then you know that it's Chernobyl levels of toxic. Why is Paramount doing this to themselves.

Village

An occasional good spin-off game isn't going to shift any narratives, especially when every major Sonic retail game has been some degree of a dumpster fire for years. With Forces seemingly on the same trajectory. Mania was a spectacular throwback, but it also highlighted just how hungry people were for 'classic' Sonic.

You can't blame people for perceiving a series as being out of control when the games are this inconsistent.

You realize by your logic, if spinn offs don't count, there has been a grand total of 1 shitty sonic game since generations. And its less shitty and more meh, and disappointing in a lot of regards, and speaks more of sonic as a brand is and how their attempts to be mario has grown stale. Just saying,.

I'll be the first one to tell you that , I thought forces was going to be a hot mess the moment classic sonic was shown in the teaser, and that game has never shook that feeling. The only thing that has me excited about that game is shadow being playabale. I'm just following your logic here.

Caelus

Nothing wrong with an animated film along the lines of Sonic Boom, any attempt to be more ambitious than that is a disaster in the making.

Then again, this is the same franchise with a Hooters team-up.

Village

Nothing wrong with an animated film along the lines of Sonic Boom, any attempt to be more ambitious than that is a disaster in the making. .

I think anything trying to be more ambitious than sonic boom would be way better. Because sonic boom... meh, and kind of bad most of the time. I would have a cheesy fun dumb cgi animated film that just below average comedy with little action, and kind of shitty versions of all characters involved.

Caelus

I think anything trying to be more ambitious than sonic boom would be way better. Because sonic boom... meh, and kind of bad most of the time. I would have a cheesy fun dumb cgi animated film that just below average comedy with little action, and kind of shitty versions of all characters involved.

By 'ambitious' I meant mixing live action and CGI. I'm certainly OK with better writing and what have you.

If they want humans in the Sonic world, just have them be very stylized.

I'll pass. We already had an awesome Sonic movie
tumblr_m6rp15ehbO1qc5pzgo1_500.gif
still the GOAT. Why can't it just be an animated movie!?

Village

By 'ambitious' I meant mixing live action and CGI. I'm certainly OK with better writing and what have you.

If they want humans in the Sonic world, just have them be very stylized.

I agree , but I feel as though this live action thing is a long time coming. Not a good one, but it is.

Since before sonic was conceived the people in charge had this fascination with sonic characters connecting to people. From sonic originally supposed to have a rodger rabbit style human girlfriend ( and that concept popping up again notoriously later) to Shadow and Maria, to the entirety of sonic x.The idea of sonic connecting with people has been one sega has had for sonic for quite a while.

The issue is, outside of rare instances, and people with the last name robotnik, its never really worked out. Humans next to sonic characters most times aren't too interesting , its come in with stuff like the infamous " kiss" and Sega has this whole " look how rad our characters are" mentality with it, rather than something less condescending. I think Unleashed was the closest thing we got to anything reasonable that didn't involve someone with the sir name robotnik, was sonic unleashed. But I would argue, at that point, why not just make the world cohesive if you are going to stylize the humans so much and just make... all those people cool animal people from across the world.

I think that's their mentality on their end... for the worse. Instead of going " We could just flesh out this world" make some animal characters in the background, call it day . They decided real people, because sonic team has this obsession with sonic " connecting " to real people humans. I think what speaks to this problem, is that in almost every scenario where you could have an animal version of that person replace the human person in the sonic series... it works better. Except for eggman, eggman being a actual representation of industrialism it works. It doesn't work for everyone else, besides gerarald.

This obsession has plagued the sonic series and has cause numerous amounts of just thematic clashing in multiple media sources for decades and has finally bled into film. Even with the frigging smurffs have decided it would be better to go full cgi, after all the recent success of full cgi film. This obsession with sonic characters talking to people still remains. And that's how were here.

But I would argue, at that point, why not just make the world cohesive if you are going to stylize the humans so much and just make... all those people cool animal people from across the world.

I think what speaks to this problem, is that in almost every scenario where you could have an animal version of that person replace the human person in the sonic series... it works better.

Define better.

3tecnsI.png

The last time Sonic interacted with humanity was in Sonic 06.

Think about how far we've fallen since 2006. Think about how much simpler life was in 2006.

We turned away from Sonic. We rejected His message. We banned Him from our schools and our video game consoles. He gave us a simple creed, "Gotta go fast," and asked nothing of man, and still we killed him.

Now Paramount presents us an opportunity to turn back to the light, to turn back to Sonic's light and embrace him, an opportunity we do not deserve, and heretics here claim He is not needed today. I say He is needed more than ever.

#SonicsNotDead

liquidtmd

Banned
The crowd looking to hate on this movie is so high, I predict it's going to break $2billion....Heh. But seriously all those podcast and YouTubers I imagine so desperate to be the first to write an oh so witty withering smack down on it it's kinda sad.

No, it's odds of being good aren't great but there's just this predisposed snark towards the project now I can imagine the faux outrage now on day 1

Podcast / YouTubers: "Whaddup guys! So I've loved Sonic the Hedgehog since I was a kid (probably never seen it before) - look I've even got a plushie so I must be a legit fan *waves plushie at camera* so my hopes were high for this. I HAD to see it Day 1 but I gotta tell you...oh let me lay the smack down on it..."

People actively WANT to roast the project and at that point I just see such a waste of energy.

ReiGun

lol, Paramount is going to Paramount.

Not arguably, definitely

Understatement of the year.
For reference:
Code:
Everything earned by Paramount in 2017 (domestic box office):
Transformers: The Last Knight		$130,168,683	
Baywatch				$58,060,186
xXx: The Return of Xander Cage		$44,898,413	
Ghost in the Shell			$40,563,557	
Monster Trucks				$33,370,166	
Fences (2016)				$31,351,933	
Rings					$27,793,018	
mother!					$13,459,798	
Arrival	(2016)				$8,870,040	
Silence	(2016)				$6,823,622	
Office Christmas Party (2016)		$4,952,318	
An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power	$3,496,795	
Allied (2016)				$556,143	
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)	$150,139
---------------------------------------------------
					$404,514,811

vs
Code:
Wonder Woman 				$412,080,447
oqZ6Vlw.gif

When Sony Pictures is smart enough not to pick up a project then you know that it's Chernobyl levels of toxic. Why is Paramount doing this to themselves.

Recent Paramount is in trouble. They still have some hits, but their box office revenues are decreasing so now they’ll desperately claw at anything that could work (just like Sony).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Blending live action and animation, huh... Sonic’s gonna hook up with a human girl again, isn’t he

But the twist is, the human girl is CG and sonic is live action.

Not

Banned
Blending live action and animation, huh... Sonic's gonna hook up with a human girl again, isn't he

Sonic's not even a real animal, just like Hello Kitty isn't a real cat

He's some kind of unspeakably deformed human who doesn't even resemble a hedgehog

Bestiality who?

Village

Define better.

3tecnsI.png

When done well incredible, the archie comics post reboot are good examples. While there are still humans around, a lot of the world is fleshed out with animal creatures ,like for example a whole under water world full of cool and fun sea creatures the chaotix hang out with

I think its better, but there's no replacing quality.

The world of sonic could explore so many places with potential animal characters, yet they keep choosing people

MaulerX

So live action automatically means human actors with CGI? Wouldn't really mind if it was live action as far as environments (no human actors) with the characters being CGI.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I can't take this seriously. I don't feel like the brand recognition helps at all. If this was 1992 and Sonic was a up and coming trendy new gaming icon, it would be one thing. But, as it is, Sonic and pals are poster boys bad deviant art erotic fan fiction.

It is very difficult to seriously. The games aren't critical successes either, I feel like Sonic is more infamously known for the wrong reasons and has a bizarre connotation I don't want to go near.

Yeesh. Just make a CG movie for kids. You're not going to get too many people over the age of 13 to see a Sonic the Hedgehog movie in a movie theater.

Village

I can't take this seriously. I don't feel like the brand recognition helps at all. If this was 1992 and Sonic was a up and coming trendy new gaming icon, it would be one thing. But, as it is, Sonic and pals are poster boys bad deviant art erotic fan fiction.

It is very difficult to seriously. The games aren't critical successes either, I feel like Sonic is more infamously known for the wrong reasons and has a bizarre connotation I don't want to go near.

Eh for most people sonic is a video game characters and his friends punch a bald guy in the face. This is especially true for children who are the primary audience for most sonic fare.

Busty

Banned
It raced to Paramount if by raced the OP means 'crawled, bloodied and bruised, from that smouldering wreckage that is Sony Pictures to the flaming wreckage that is Paramount'.

Also, as I revealed in the Valiant OT a few weeks ago, expect the Valiant films set up at Sony, that no one wants to see, to move from that studio too likely to Paramount where Mortiz has his new deal.

If Universal got the rights, Shadow could have been part of the DARK UNIVERSE.

Agree 100%.

I memory serves Fox has the rights to The Shadow at the moment but whoever has it that's a property that could (for a reasonable price) make a great film.

I'm actually a fan of the Alec Baldwin film from the 1994.

Code:
Everything earned by Paramount in 2017 (domestic box office):
Transformers: The Last Knight		$130,168,683	
Baywatch				$58,060,186
xXx: The Return of Xander Cage		$44,898,413	
Ghost in the Shell			$40,563,557	
Monster Trucks				$33,370,166	
Fences (2016)				$31,351,933	
Rings					$27,793,018	
mother!					$13,459,798	
Arrival	(2016)				$8,870,040	
Silence	(2016)				$6,823,622	
Office Christmas Party (2016)		$4,952,318	
An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power	$3,496,795	
Allied (2016)				$556,143	
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)	$150,139
---------------------------------------------------
					$404,514,811

vs
Code:
Wonder Woman 				$412,080,447

This will never not blow my mind.

Chao

When done well incredible, the archie comics post reboot are good examples. While there are still humans around, a lot of the world is fleshed out with animal creatures ,like for example a whole under water world full of cool and fun sea creatures the chaotix hang out with

I think its better, but there's no replacing quality.

The world of sonic could explore so many places with potential animal characters, yet they keep choosing people

Funny that you mention quality and then proceed to post an Archie comic's page.
Dude.

Mr_Moogle

"The studio plans on making a movie that will blend live action and CGI animation as it brings Sonic to the big screen for the first time"

giphy.gif

Amalthea

Banned
It's so stupid that I'm 100% sure they are actually working on this.
It will be a toss up between this and the Chipmunks/Garfield/Smurfs-esque trope where a boring middle aged guy (preferably played by a sitcom actor who wants to break into movies) begrudgedly takes Sonic and friends in, despite being annoying as fuck.

Top Bottom