• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Sonic the Hedgehog' Movie Races to Paramount

PSqueak

Banned
They have 2 options, either Doing SA1 or Doing an adaptation of Sonic X.

Sonic X would be the one to create less cringe plot wise.

I can just imagine the Paramount execs gleefully picking this out of Sony's trash can like some damn dumbster divers thinking they hit the jackpot.

I could see this working if they pull a Jungle Book and make everything CGI except for Eggman.

The only thing that could improve this scene is if the girl became real while Sonic was still CG.

119894637f395a80adb82838a372f19a.gif

So Sonic can also become Super Sonic by being aroused?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Even Sony bailed on this and Paramount thinks "why not, sure".

Flood Hollywood.

Village

lol, Paramount is going to Paramount.

Not arguably, definitely

Understatement of the year.
For reference:
Code:
Everything earned by Paramount in 2017 (domestic box office):
Transformers: The Last Knight		$130,168,683	
Baywatch				$58,060,186
xXx: The Return of Xander Cage		$44,898,413	
Ghost in the Shell			$40,563,557	
Monster Trucks				$33,370,166	
Fences (2016)				$31,351,933	
Rings					$27,793,018	
mother!					$13,459,798	
Arrival	(2016)				$8,870,040	
Silence	(2016)				$6,823,622	
Office Christmas Party (2016)		$4,952,318	
An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power	$3,496,795	
Allied (2016)				$556,143	
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)	$150,139
---------------------------------------------------
					$404,514,811

vs
Code:
Wonder Woman 				$412,080,447

goddamn

Sony has a history of dropping animated movies mid-development right? There was that Lauren Faust Medusa movie, the Popeye one. The My Little Pony movie that's being produced by Lionsgate and is releasing later this week was also at one point a Sony animation movie, and that movie looks like it's going to turn out alright. I know it's easy to dunk on Sonic but just because Paramount is picking it up from Sony doesn't automatically mean it's going to be awful.

live action and CGI animation

Ok nevermind, meme away.

Also if Obama does cameo I will watch it in theaters, regardless of quality.

Chao

There’s no way to make a good sonic movie. If it’s Sonic boom style it will suck as a movie, if they go modern sonic it will stink, if they biend live action with cg it will be dumb. Even if they made a classic sonic movie it just wouldn’t work.

I believe these people just look at the name and expect it will attract kids to go see the movie in theaters no matter how bad it is.

They even can’t get the games right, how could they get a movie right.

Village

There’s no way to make a good sonic movie. If it’s Sonic boom style it will suck as a movie, if they go modern sonic it will stink, if they biend live action with cg it will be dumb. Even if they made a classic sonic movie it just wouldn’t work.

I believe these people just look at the name and expect it will attract kids to go see the movie in theaters no matter how bad it is.

You can tell a good story with sonic characters, that works on a film. That's totally possible, and they've done it before. What in the world are you even talking about.

What do some of the games have to do with writing a moving a film direction

What in the world are you even talking about?

Cafeman

Remember Super Mario Bros in early 90's? Terrible adaptation. But, entertaining film!

Will Sonic be SMB? Or like Scooby Doo films? Or (gasp) Smurfs? *

* never actually watched the Smurfs films. Thought Scooby was okay actually.

Seriously I'm surprised they didn't get Sonic for Wreck-it Ralph sequels.

dankir

Who thinks this is going to be any good? This better have an awful camera like all the 3D Sonics and a wierd relationship between Sonic and a human princess.

cbrun44

This shit is going to get someone fired. Rightfully so.

This is a bad, bad, bad, bad idea.

I want to see it happen just for the fallout.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Acceptable things to draw inspiration from
Sonic Spinball
Dr. Robotnik's mean bean machine
Chili Dogs
Urkel

pitch:
Sonic, Tails, & Robotnik open a food truck in DC and only thing on the menu is chili dogs.

I'm a firm believer that if you have the right person with the right creative vision literally anything can be a good movie

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope it's the Sonic Adventure plotline complete with buttrock.

Village

Let's all ask the important questions.

Will Sonic's arms be blue or tan?

I don't think that's the important question, but its apart of it. Will there be " redesigns" of characters shown?

So just an average day for the Sonic franchise.

Yes, im aware this doesn't apply to mania.

It doesn't apply to a lot of things. There was a good sonic game that came out on 3ds last year. But you know, when you have memes, you don't really need proof

I don't think that's the important question, but its apart of it. Will there be " redesigns" of characters shown?

It doesn't apply to a lot of things. There was a good sonic game that came out on 3ds last year. But you know, when you have memes, you don't really need proof
An occasional good spin-off game isn't going to shift any narratives, especially when every major Sonic retail game has been some degree of a dumpster fire for years. With Forces seemingly on the same trajectory. Mania was a spectacular throwback, but it also highlighted just how hungry people were for 'classic' Sonic.

You can't blame people for perceiving a series as being out of control when the games are this inconsistent.

I hope we get a Sonic Cinematic Universe.

Sonic The Hedgehog: Origins
Sonic The Hedgehog 2: Eggman's Revenge
Tales: On My Own Now
Sonic The Hedgehog 3: Legacy
Knuckles: The First Enchilada
SEGA's Sonic & Knuckles
Knuckles Chaotix

Not

Banned
This is gonna be either really bad, like most things Sonic, or "fairly watchable if you look past the CGI"

Not

Banned
At least the We Hate Movies podcast will be great if it sucks enough.

Thank you, bad movie podcast scene, for redeeming the trash.

Top Bottom