• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic The Hedgehog Movie First Look (IGN)

It looks like Sonic's face is going to be realistic. That's terrifying.

he3ncblxog321.jpg

Don't worry. I fix.

jKbdMUW.png

Akuza89

SO... erm... this is a thing...

worst part for me is the "from the producer of fast and furious" ... honestly made me think it was fake....

EDIT:- thanks for moving my post and not just deleting it mods (y)

Last edited:

Doom85

Detective Pikachu: Let's put some thought into this and actually show some respect for the franchise.

Sonic: Whatever, who cares about this guy. Let's throw him in the human world and make it so he needs help from some rando sheriff and his small town, and let's make his design as bizarre as possible!

Sigh......

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah please we gotta start doing this more as a culture, screenshot your social media links please...

Not only because for many users the content is blocked, but also because stuff is routinely deleted these days making the direct links useless.

I always wanted a Sonic movie as a kid but not like this... I guess be careful what you wish for.

The only hope now is that it's so ridiculously awful that it's awesome.

So did I, and I got it ↓↓↓
SonicanimeVHS.jpg

Don't know wtf this homunculus experiment of a movie is going to be like though.

Shifty

Hoooly smokes. This thread is making me die inside and die laughing at the same time, good show GAF.

That right there is a god damn fursuit. They're ruining everything again.

iu

So did I, and I got it ↓↓↓
SonicanimeVHS.jpg
The south island theme from that movie is still one of the best sonic tunes to date, and nobody's heard it:

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Why is Sonic so beloved anyway? Sonic had a string of good games on Genesis over 20 years ago and has been mediocre-bad since.

Maybe this movie will be the final nail in the coffin.

Sleepydays

Banned
This Hollywood obsession with making cel-art cartoon characters into photo-realistic grotesques need to be done with.

SoulUnison

Banned
Oh god, it's so much worse that I could've ever imagined.

There's going to be a tie-in game(s?) using this art style, mark my words, and it's going to be a direct attack on our very souls.

Doom85

Why is Sonic so beloved anyway?

Because people have different opinions? IMHO Adventure 1 was fairly good, Adventure 2 was a mixed bag of quality (Sonic/Shadow - awesome, Knuckles/Rogue - decent, Tails/Eggman - awful), Colors was really good, and the Rush games were fun. Haven't played Generations yet but I know some like that one. Lost World had some good levels but some bad levels so it was kinda meh but occasionally fun. I.....enjoyed Forces, sorry (only apologizing because some children on the Internet have a temper tantrum if you dared to enjoy this game). Mania was classic fun. I didn't like Unleashed but I know some thought parts of it were good.

The only games I think virtually everyone dislikes (who actually played them, as lord knows some classic fans insult the newer games but never actually touched most of them) are '06 and Boom.

Not to mention I've got the first trade of the new IDW comic series and it's pretty fun, hoping the quality keeps up (likely since IDW is really good with these sorts of franchises).

Like if you don't enjoy Sonic at all where it went, that's fine, but plenty of people still do have fun with the franchise sometimes.

Nymphae

Banned

Here you go. I'm not sure why to be honest. Instagram is not supported for your browser?

Also EviLore EviLore There needs to be a support to put images directly through your computer...

Thanks! Work filter blocks IG. Also as mentioned earlier, it's just good practice as social links tend to get deleted these days, and a screenshot is always going to be linkable.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Here you go. I'm not sure why to be honest. Instagram is not supported for your browser?
Alot of us browse NEGgaf at work where lots of links are blocked... hell even imgur is blocked for me... sometimes... it's very fickle...

Why is Sonic so beloved anyway? Sonic had a string of good games on Genesis over 20 years ago and has been mediocre-bad since.

Maybe this movie will be the final nail in the coffin.
It's also had a few decent games since, but not much. You are correct that the series generally has been shit over the past twenty years. But that doesn't stop the fact that all the great games still exist and people can play them. There's also Sonic Mania which is just fucking fantastic...

And no, this isn't the nail in the coffin for Sonic. This will be laughed off and the fans will go right back to loving the "REAL" sonic...

Last edited:

Ka-Kui

Yeeeeesh...!

I can't believe they even released that image.

If I was working on that movie and I was also a gamer, and while working on it I then saw the Detective Pikachu trailer - I'd be having second thoughts about the work I'm doing.

At the very least Sega should be rasing some concerns about the art direction.

The real question is.. Why though?

Is the SEGA nostalgia market so big that 30 year olds like me are remotely interested in seeing their past defiled by this monstrosity?

I'm sure kids that never played sonic don't give a fuck about the movie, so who is it for?

Sonic is still really popular with kids...

Really? Tells how out of touch I am, based on which games or entertainment besides Smash are they playing Sonic?

I honestly thought the new Sonic games are so terrible (I've tried many) that if you didn't grow up with Sonic 1,2,3 etc you could never love him.

BANGS

Banned
Really? Tells how out of touch I am, based on which games or entertainment besides Smash are they playing Sonic?

I honestly thought the new Sonic games are so terrible (I've tried many) that if you didn't grow up with Sonic 1,2,3 etc you could never love him.
Between Mania, Forces, and Sonic just overall being an iconic character with clothes and toys and tv shows and everything, kids love some Sonic... Plus kids are dumb and don't realize how bad his games are...

CatCouch

I just wish they could make a big movie like this with the appealing art the games actually have. I like Sonic (even if I don't like a bunch of the games) for the art style.

Whatever Sonic's face is going to look like I know it will disappoint me more than I'm prepared for.

stickkidsam

There's still hope that this is a joke and they will reveal the real design in the trailer. Would be perfectly in line with their "self awareness" as of the past few years.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
As a huge Sonic fan I can only say: The stuff of nightmares...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Looks like 00s death of dreamcast wannabe edgy sega. I can excuse that period and shit like Shadow the Hedgehog but not in this day and age, this is hilariously awful.

Last edited:

stranno

It looks like Peter Benchley's The Creature from 1998 (yeah, low budget TV movie but it holds a place in my heart).

shark-man-creature-1998.jpg

Hey look at it this way. With him having that body at least when princess Elise kisses him it will look more like two humans making out instead of a women and a furry creature in some bestiality fetish. Sonic 2006 redeemed?

Top Bottom