• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

TheOGB

Banned
What would they even do with Rouge in Boom

.....actually Sticks would probably play off the government spy thing well 🤔

Village

Well damn. I have a vague interest in seeing what Blaze could be like in Boom, so hope she isn't barred off.
Blaze had weird shit going on with her in the comics, a series that we are to assume takes place in a world simular to normal sonic's world. Give or take extra characters, and she still had problems. I'm I already assume she isn't showing up in anything until I see her.
What would they even do with Rouge in Boom

.....actually Sticks would probably play off the government spy thing well ��

• Cool Spy/Theif Stuff
  • Funny Spy/Theif Stuff
  • Contribute to the weird amount of polical humor that seems to be prevelant in this series
  • Hang with Shadow because Shadow is the character Rouge is primarly around, and given Shadow exists in this world, I would assume rouge would also exist. Because the world is inherently more commedic and Rouge is one of say 2 characters that get shadow to take himself less seriously. And could actually provide interesting comedy and cool things to do between the two of them

But hey, oh well, ain't happening. Though to be fair, not sure if a 3rd season of this show is happening. So whatever. I'm not loosing sleep, its just strange. I thought it was a whole " we will expand who will appear as the series goes on , case by case basis. Nah , some characters strait up not showing up ever.

TrueBlue

I keep holding onto the forsaken hope that Blaze will be for Modern Sonic what Tails/Knux are for Classic Sonic. Rush/Rush Adventure were great, and I feel Blaze would have been perfect for the Boost style in later 3D games.

Ah well.

Tizoc

Real talk
Sonic Mania was the FIRST time I learned about the '& Knuckles' meme.

Anyways I got back into Sonic 2 8-bit after figuring out how to use the stupid glider and have gotten to Gimmick Mt.
This game
Is not very good
It has the makings of a good game, but the actual game and design and mechanics just...irritate me. Sonic is sluggish and doesn't control well for one thing and the Act 3 no rings thing can be a pain in the ass, esp. in Green Hills Act 3.
Who the heck thought GHs Act 3 was a good design?

EDIT: And beat the game.
I decided to watch a speedrun and see the true final stage after getting all the Chaos Emeralds and...the fuck kinda final boss is that?
Eggman just up and gives you Tails as a form of Parley? The fuck were they smoking when making this game?

This game is so bad it needs a fan remake or such to make it worthwhile ugh.

sO FAr my rankings of the 8-bit games are:
Sonic 1 8-bit>>Sonic & Tails 2>>>Sonic the Hedgehog 2 8-bit

I'm not liking the big black bars for the HUD in Forces. Seems too much.

Neither am I. They take up to much space I feel.

I don't get what Sega/Sonic Team are going for with the new emphasis on this blocky aesthetic. It's on the boxes for generic Sonic merchandise as well. It just doesn't fit Sonic since even back during his Genesis days a part of Sonic's appeal were the gorgeous characters and environments that looked less "pixely" than a lot of the competition.

So I've been playing mania, loving it, but I'm not sure I actually think it's a better game than 2, 3, knuckles. It may be the nature of how it's built from recycled content and mechanics, the boss fights being painfully easy, the sphere collecting stages being painfully difficult (finally completed them all last night, each one has a twist to it and a 'take that' moment near the end, where I recall the 3/knuckles stages being more freeform and less stressful). It's spectacular, love the look, the drop dash speeds things up, but something about it doesn't feel quite as solid to me.

I don't know if it's an overabundance of speedy sections throwing you in all directions, maybe that combined with the easier difficulty in general promotes sloppy play?

The Studiopolis zone boss stands out to me as being a huge oversight. Why can you hit the boss with a simple jump from the beginning with no threat? You can wipe him out in seconds, where it seems he's supposed to be out of reach until the heat brings him down lower for you to reach him. Great boss battle ruined.

In general it just doesn't feel as tight, a bit of an interesting spinoff almost than feeling like a real sequel, but it's still the best Sonic game for me since Knuckles.

Dereck

So I've been playing mania, loving it, but I'm not sure I actually think it's a better game than 2, 3, knuckles. It may be the nature of how it's built from recycled content and mechanics, the boss fights being painfully easy, the sphere collecting stages being painfully difficult (finally completed them all last night, each one has a twist to it and a 'take that' moment near the end, where I recall the 3/knuckles stages being more freeform and less stressful). It's spectacular, love the look, the drop dash speeds things up, but something about it doesn't feel quite as solid to me.

I don't know if it's an overabundance of speedy sections throwing you in all directions, maybe that combined with the easier difficulty in general promotes sloppy play?

The Studiopolis zone boss stands out to me as being a huge oversight. Why can you hit the boss with a simple jump from the beginning with no threat? You can wipe him out in seconds, where it seems he's supposed to be out of reach until the heat brings him down lower for you to reach him. Great boss battle ruined.

In general it just doesn't feel as tight, a bit of an interesting spinoff almost than feeling like a real sequel, but it's still the best Sonic game for me since Knuckles.
I have a tough time in general rating Sonic Mania in comparison to other Sonic games because it is more like a Majin Buu absorption of three other games instead of something mostly new. It also throws in somewhat random things like the Mean Bean Machine boss, obscure references for no other reason than a wink, the bosses overall and sometimes the level design. Like you just mentioned, there are some speedy sections that have dubious reasons behind them being where they are in the level.

A big thing for me that affects how I feel about this game is playing different versions of stages that I didn't necessarily care for, I'm actually surprised how many of them I was indifferent to, like Green Hill Zone, Chemical Plant, Hydrocity, I suppose my indifference towards them stems from the fact that they are old news, over 20 years old.

Then there are ones that I don't care for at all and their music is kind of annoying because it reminds me of Sonic & Knuckles, which has more stages that I didn't really care for in comparison to Sonic 3, Lava Reef, Sandopolis and Flying Battery. It's not that I dislike them but I don't really care for anything regarding those stages. While Oil Ocean Zone is a decent stage, I share the same sentiment.

There were too many bosses and I feel like the developers just did whatever and tried whatever they wanted, it looks like they had fun making all of the bosses. There are too many, (I get the Hard Boiled Heavies), but did every act really need to have a boss?

I do genuinely enjoy the Chaos Emerald stages but I can't say the same for the Blue sphere stages. I recall being able to get the Super Emeralds in Sonic 3, not that it was easy but it wasn't irritatingly setup to be a bait-and-switch at the end of the later Blue sphere stages like you said.

Sonic Mania is everything packed into a game, some things arbitrary, some things necessary, some things charming. A lot of of it is random like Angel Island Zone not being playable even though it appeared to be canonically relevant, not all of the zones having stage transitions, the old stages being blended in with the new, sometimes breaking up the flow of the game, Studiopolis going into Flying Battery is kind of a buzz kill, the momentum gained from Sonic Mania's original assets is slowed down when I have to play a stage from an older game.

Sonic Mania is incredible though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Tbh, 3K just feels even more padded and bloated to me now after playing Mania a bunch. They're both ~2-hour games, but Mania changes things up so often that it doesn't actually feel its length. Maybe my opinion of the two will level off after putting (another) 100 hours into this one, to the point where everything in it becomes routine, but right now the only aspect of 3K that stands above its peers is that that game's endgame sequence is still more "epic" than any of the others in all the right ways.

So call me delusional, but I think we're heading towards a massive bait and switch with Sonic Forces. Something tells me that the seriousness gets played straight until the end of the game, where it's revealed to be a dream or a pitch by Sonic and Knuckles talking about a what-if scenario. Either that or something similar. Either way, I don't think Forces is what we're getting for the future of the series.

Village

If rumors are to be believed, nah its played serious all the way through

Apparently someone dies

Also given the tails rumors before in combination with new rumors, Infinite might legit be bad timeline tails

As for the future of the sonic series, depends on how they feel about developing or letting other people develop different types of games

Sciz

So call me delusional, but I think we're heading towards a massive bait and switch with Sonic Forces. Something tells me that the seriousness gets played straight until the end of the game, where it's revealed to be a dream or a pitch by Sonic and Knuckles talking about a what-if scenario. Either that or something similar. Either way, I don't think Forces is what we're getting for the future of the series.

Mania's relevance to the plot torpedoes the idea that it's all a false reality, I think.

Village

“From the developer standpoint, every Sonic game that we’re making is taking new steps and advances, furthering the game in a new direction, and that’s dictated where the Sonic series has been going.”

Oh my god, this is explains every mistake they made besides the rushed out the door ones since 2005.

You wont further anything if you don't have a good game as a baseline, and you aren't going to further anything when you don't even realize how to use a good game as a baseline.

Like holy shit, " The guy who is in charge of sonic strait out says that one of the major complaints about sonic games, is something they wanted to do and wont stop despite criticism"

Looking at the games I feel that at the end of the day Sonic Team really doesn't want to make Sonic games after all.

Maybe they shouldn't for some time.

Village

Looking at the games I feel that at the end of the day Sonic Team really doesn't want to make Sonic games after all.

Maybe they should take on say a role where they manage what folks do with the brand, but just let or rather get other folks to make games. And any brand initiatives they wish to take can be executed by people who actually wanna make games

Zubz

Banned

I'm only going off of this video, but apparently this was their reason for making Burning Rangers. And NiGHTS.

I'd be willing to trust them to try another franchise, too, especially after Mania. That said, Christian Whitehead said in that Rolling Stones article that he was planning on trying his own thing after Mania, & might only stick with Sonic if SEGA still wants him there.

Village

This new meme , this new as shadow meme. Its a good meme

Edit because I don't wanna double post:

So there's this interview with Nakamura that some guy on reddit translated into this, if he is to be believed. Information on forces

Sami+

“From the developer standpoint, every Sonic game that we’re making is taking new steps and advances, furthering the game in a new direction, and that’s dictated where the Sonic series has been going.”

Oh my god, this is explains every mistake they made besides the rushed out the door ones since 2005.

You wont further anything if you don't have a good game as a baseline, and you aren't going to further anything when you don't even realize how to use a good game as a baseline.

Like holy shit, " The guy who is in charge of sonic strait out says that one of the major complaints about sonic games, is something they wanted to do and wont stop despite criticism"

I guess it explains why Modern and Classic Sonic in Forces are almost exactly the same as they were 6 years ago and the only new offer that game seems to have is the furry dollmaker and story.

I don't really understand why Iizuka (? Whoever is really in charge) has this mentality to be honest. It's not even a "oh well I don't agree but I understand his perspective" kind of thing, no other major game developer does this.

I guess it explains why Modern and Classic Sonic in Forces are almost exactly the same as they were 6 years ago and the only new offer that game seems to have is the furry dollmaker and story.

I don't really understand why Iizuka (? Whoever is really in charge) has this mentality to be honest. It's not even a "oh well I don't agree but I understand his perspective" kind of thing, no other major game developer does this.

I think because he has seniority, no one really challenges him...though I do have to wonder how the heck Mania happened, I'm grateful that it did, but I do wonder how Iizuka approved of the idea.

Village

I think the real explanation for that is they maybe expected more time, but boom didn't take off they someone higher up said they needed a " main " sonic game out by a certain, and only had loose ideas and then just combined those loose ideas that should be their own games, into a single game.

Thinly veiled excuses for lack of ambition, passion, and the unwillingness to hedge bets on themselves.

Top Bottom