• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Team Says 2021 Is The "Next Big Year" For Sonic

Dante83

Banned
How many times have we heard this and how many times have they failed us? If I were them, I would be silent till I am sure the product will deliver.

cireza

Banned
People say that Sonic games suck, then proceed to ask for direct sequels and remakes.

A proper new 3D entry will be fine. It does not need to be a sequel or a remake, simply a brand new game. I hope they move on from the boost formula, and eventually get rid of the wisps but I doubt it.

Wisps + avatar are extremely likely to make a come back in my opinion.

They might try to make something more open since it is a formula that has been used a lot in many series now.

Last edited:

Kazza

It's good to hear that they are taking their time. I don't like it when they give some bare bones trailer and then make you wait 2 years anyway. Sonic is on a bit of a roll recently:
- Sonic Mania did great in both critical acclaim and sales
- the tie-in cartoons for Mania and Team Sonic Racing both got millions and millions of views
- the Sonic movie, which looked certain to be a disaster, ended defying expectations to become a big hit
- although Team Sonic Racing and Sonic Forces may not have set the world on fire, they seem to have sold quite well:

I don't think we will hear anything of the new games until early next year. Suits me fine.

B_Boss

and full 3D this time, none of this "classic sonic" stuff

The classic sonic (Genesis) are absolutely timeless and my hope is that creative devs, artists and storytellers will, in perhaps unique ways, implement much of the earlier material within new or fresh ideas alongside (or perhaps that involve) 3D visuals. It is certainly a great thing that moreso than not, the “classic sonic stuff” is beloved for exactly what it was and is today.

Kazza

The classic sonic (Genesis) are absolutely timeless and my hope is that creative devs, artists and storytellers will, in perhaps unique ways, implement much of the earlier material within new or fresh ideas alongside (or perhaps that involve) 3D visuals. It is certainly a great thing that moreso than not, the “classic sonic stuff” is beloved for exactly what it was and is today.

I love the original 2D games myself, and I hope they will continue to make games in the same style (such as Mania). What I meant was I don't think the 3D games warrant including "classic Sonic" anymore. It was a great idea for Generations, but seemed a little pointless in Forces. Let 2D Sonic be 2D sonic and 3D Sonic be 3D Sonic.

Kazza

Regarding the next 3D game, even though it won't release until sometime next year, it's almost certain that it will be cross-platform, right? I can't imagine them leaving the Switch without a port, and that means that they may as well do a PS4 and Xbox One version as well. It's a shame if so, I would like to see them push the graphics engine as they did with Unleashed. It would be more interesting if the Switch got its own game instead (they did rework Unleashed for the Wii)

Carna

Banned
As a person who even like Sonic games that are considering "bad" I'm just not excited, I felt the series should have went dormant after generations to wait until they revitalize their image for the series.

P.s. regardless of what kind Sonic fan you guys are, I respect you all the same (that's hard for me to accept, but I come to terms with it)

SnapShot

All I want is for them to just ditch the boost and the wisps, no more silly unnecessary gimmicks, no werehogs or classic sonic, no custom character, no stupid 2D sections, just make a good pure 3D sonic game, the first adventure game almost got it right, hell I didn't even mind the other play styles in it simply because I enjoyed Sonic's play style enough to play through other characters campaigns. Ready to be disappointed again though, I already gave up on this series.

Saber

Gold Member

Zephir

If they wanna keep the gimmick they used with Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces, I can try and predict their next moves.

Main Sonic games always release at the end of the year, around november, so i predict a new 3d sonic game for november 2021

Now, it's gonna be an anniversary, so they clearly don't have only that game up their sleeves...given the success of sonic mania, another 2d sonic game is definitely in the works and they'll probably give the mania team a bit more budget and (hopefully) allow them to make 100% new zones. It's probably coming out around summer 2021

But, anniversary thing and all, they've probably been working on an adventure remake, or at least a heavy remaster...one can only hope they're making a collection with both adventure games but whatever...this game will probably come out before the others...probably at the beginning of the next fiscal year, after march 2021...they could do it this year in time for christmas, but I don't have any hopes for that.

So the games would be: adventure remake/remaster, new 2d sonic and new 3d sonic. What about the gimmick I said in the beginning? I believe they'll somehow connect the plot of all these games. Just like they did in Mania/Forces, they'll probably bring back some plot points from the adventure series that they'll add in the future 2D game, just to let it come full circle in the 3D game when they'll bring back the goddamn classic sonic.

I would have added closure to the whole Infinite and the Phantom Ruby plotline, but apparently Sega now hates it so much they don't allow them to be in the comics or either in the Sonic mobile game.

I may be totally wrong...we'll see...

Top Bottom