• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Team Says 2021 Is The "Next Big Year" For Sonic

Kazza

“2017 was a big year for Sonic,” Iizuka says. “The next big year for Sonic is 2021. That’s the 30-year anniversary for Sonic. We are now preparing.”

I'm glad we're getting a decent break between games. Hopefully we'll get a separate Mania game and 3D game again (and full 3D this time, none of this "classic sonic" stuff). Maybe we'll get a Sonic Adventure remake. They need to do better than the low-effort Forces. Although I really enjoy the boost formula, I would prefer that they try a new system this time. Maybe something along the lines of recent fan prototypes.

Last edited:

Kazza

I'm always glad that big titles are going to take time to be released. Makes you confident in their execution.

I'm ready!

I'm just relieved we aren't going to get a movie tie-in :messenger_tears_of_joy: (although I look forward to modders modding in the movie model for other Sonic games)

BlackTron

They should be able to look back with clarity what aspects make or break Sonic by now. He's been totally deconstructed at this point.

I'd like a totally fresh reset on this series. Something that is back to basics and comes off more as a 3D sequel to Sonic 1.

The Sonic version of Mario 3D World, perhaps.

Dante83

Banned
They have been churning out disappointment after disappointment, so I am not convinced. The last game, sonic forces was so lame that I lost hope. I don't think they have it in them to make sonic great. I enjoyed sonic generations a lot, so they should do something like that, but a lot more interesting and better. I don't want sonic to be good just because it's 2d as that too will eventually get old, though I do like those old school games. They need to find ways to make a modern captivating sonic game, and they have shown that they are regressing with sonic forces instead of progressing.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

I would be so happy to see a proper reboot of Sonic that goes back to the drawing board for 3D. Something akin to a mix of Sonic Utopia and Sonic Adventure.

They should also take a note from what Nintendo does with Mario (I.E. Multiple branches of the same IP).

Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the most popular names around, despite having such mediocre games for so long. If SEGA want to be making racing games, party games, and spin offs, they need to have an anchoring point for the series. This would and should be heavily polished 3D games with the 2D games being a seperate branch. Enough of this crossover shit.

Kazza

With Team Sonic Racing out of the way and with any new Sonic games being at least 2 years off, it seems like a good opportunity for Sega to port previous-gen Sonic games to PC/current gen consoles. Sonic Colours is a no brainer (still don't understand why Sonic Lost World got a PC port while Colours hasn't). It still looks good on the Wii, and looks amazing at 4k/60fps:

Sonic Unleashed is another obvious one (maybe a directors cut reducing the size of the werehog levels, which were overly long on PS3/360). That's another game that looks gorgeous at 4k/60fps.

One other idea (although this may be better saved for the 30th anniversary):
Sonic Jam 2 featuring HD versions of Sonic 1, 2, 3K, CD (three of these already exist, only 3K needs to be done). As a bonus, there could be a 3D hub world designed by Christian Whitehead. Just like the original was a small test run for Sonic Adventure, this 3D hub world could be a place for them to try out different 3D physics and gimmicks.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Sonic Mania 2 lets go.

But I do wish sonic would finally get his Mario 64 moment... every sonic game that’s gone 3d has been so awful.

2021 is too long of a wait for another Sonic Game.

Hope they don't do a Forces again...

Give us a spin off Sonic game to kill the wait! Maybe a Sonic game for the Switch that utilises the Joy Cons?

Sonic Colours 2!!!

Saber

Gold Member
I really hope they take the effort this time. Don't want to result in another Sonic Forces eske game with some blind fanboyism doing your damage control because the game doesn't sell at all.

Sonic Mania on the other hand, saved Sonic for good.

Last edited:
They ignored Ristars 25th Anniversary. :(

We will likely get either Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) remake with more glitches and longer loading times, or Sonic Forces 2 where Sonic gets to be playable for 1 level and you are forced to use the avatar throughout.

Monkey Paw wishes indeed but that is how SEGA rolls.

NeoGiffer

327706_hipnikdragomir_sonic-farts.gif

Bootzilla

Banned
My expectations are perpetually on the floor when it comes to Sonic.

I am mostly hoping for something that is new and not rushed. We sometimes get one or the other but never ever both. The long timeline has me somewhat hopeful in that regard. I know people like Generations but I am totally sick of this formula and even at their best they're just okay.

Mania 2 is maybe a silver lining, but even that I am a little skeptical of since they dumped Simon, who built that engine and was a big part of that game being what I was.

Sonic fangames are poorly designed and play badly, they only seem good because Sega has been putting out bad games for so long.

This also brings us to the fact the last few press releases claiming that X year will be a big year for Sonic have been terrible since 2006. I doubt that's going to change Sonic Team hasn't improved in 17 years.

Sonic Adventure 3 or Sonic Unleashed 2! (Day stages makes burnout games looks slow)

Whatever they are doing, please explore more Shadow the Hedgehog, im a huuuuge fan of him!

Fbh

I'm going to guess that instead of looking at one of their more successful entries and building upon it by taking into account the comments and feedback from fans, they are going to yet again try to make something new and different that is either going to be as mediocre as their recent games or, in a best case scenario, a good foundation for future games that they'll then proceed to ignore in order to make something completely new for the next game

I can't wait to be disappointed again ×111...

In fact, now i don't care. PS5 is coming. They should make Sonic Xclusive to Switch or Apple or Google. Do we know why Sonic CD is not yet on PS4?

Last edited:

Fake

I must say they lost a huge deal not releasing a 2020 Sonic game. Sonic the movie is one of the most selling movies here in Brazil.

Last edited:

Doom85

I must say they lost a huge deal not releasing a 2020 Sonic game. Sonic the movie is one of the most selling movies here in Brazil.

It's been proven countless times rushing a video game to be around the time of a movie release in the same franchise rarely ends well. If SEGA needs until 2021, I'm willing to wait. May not still be good, but it'd certainly be worse if they rushed it out roughly a year early.

Ristifer

Seriously, just do a Mania 2 and I can be happy forever. Or, just call it Sonic 5, acknowledge Sonic 4's shitty existence, but redeem it with a ridiculously good fifth entry.

That's it.

Codes 208

If they really want to save sonic...

Bring. Back. The. Goddamn. Chao Garden!
(Also sonic mania 2)

Last edited:
Top Bottom