• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Team boss Takashi Iizuka hopes 2022’s game can be as influential as Sonic Adventure

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

And in a follow-up interview with Sonic Stadium, the franchise’s creative officer said he hopes the upcoming game will provide the building blocks for future Sonic titles for many years to come.

“Sonic Adventure laid the foundation for 20 years of Sonic titles after its release, so in the same way I really hope that this new title releasing in 2022 lays the foundation for the following future Sonic titles – that is the idea behind the challenge for the team”, Iizuka said.

While not ready to detail the game, he added: “Since this title is still mid-development there is nothing I can speak to, but I did want to say that the development team has been spending their time to do something new and challenging.

“Through a lot of trial and error the team is looking to present to everyone a new Sonic game, and I hope your warm support of their work can motivate them to really deliver against that challenge.”

I didn't know there was a sonic in the works. does it have a name or trailer?

Last edited:

Impotaku

LOL sonic adventure influental? not something you want your game to be compared to as that was utter shit, lost count how many times i fell through the floor when running or glitching through scenery or the camera spazzing out if you even dare to veer off the path sega has decided you must run.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

I playtested Sonic Rangers in February, there were some bugs here and there, there was a really weird rock that would break the camera if you walked into it, but apart from this and that it felt like a pretty solid game.

I didn't get to play the entire game but I got to see a fair few things. The game is mostly open world, the open world area reminds me of the world in Bowsers Fury where islands unlock as you go but the islands are way bigger here. There are seven islands and you unlock each island when you get a Chaos Emerald. The Emeralds actually do something in this game, they give Sonic powerups ala Gems in Sonic 06 but less broken.
I got 3 Emeralds before I had to stop, Green, Red, and Purple.
The Green Emerald gave Sonic a temporary shield
The Red Emerald made Sonic temporarily invulnerable to fire

I didn't get to see what the Purple Emerald did because the demo ended when I collected it.
The Emeralds have a cooldown system.

There are also boost stages, to access these Sonic must run at an incredible speed and leap into a portal, the image provided is from the little cutscene that plays everytime Sonic encounters a portal.

There are 3 stages per island and each stage are 4 to 5 minutes long and they're actually pretty fun to play compared to the travesty that was Forces.

Story wise not much was revealed in fear of leaks but from what I saw:

-No Eggman

-Tails was Kidnapped

-Apart from Sonic mentioning Shadow once there are no mentions of any other characters

-Randomly in the Open World area Infinite's battle theme would start playing but he wasn't there and the music would fade after 30ish seconds.

-Sonic's comedy is incredibly unfunny

You could change Sonic's appearance, he could wear his Soap Shoes, Riders getup, Chip's bracelet and some recolored default gloves/shoes.
I think you could unlock more.

Rangers definitely has the potential to be the best Sonic game in years.

RaZoR No1

The expactations arent that high anymore and the bar isnt set high

so..
h1qdrRI.jpg

Unknown?

LOL sonic adventure influental? not something you want your game to be compared to as that was utter shit, lost count how many times i fell through the floor when running or glitching through scenery or the camera spazzing out if you even dare to veer off the path sega has decided you must run.
Was it? It got 9s everywhere at time of release.

Reindeer

They always hype their next 3D game so much and then end up delivering another dud. Just make a decent Sonic game that's not a disaster, no need for all this hype and extra pressure that leads to failure. All we need is separation between 2D and 3D games like what Mario does, this whole mix of 2D and 3D has never been a good idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom