• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Origins | Review Thread

BlackTron

I Platinumed this earlier today. Not worth the money imo. Mission mode is cool, but theres not enough of them. The "remixed" prototype music in 3&K is absolutely terrible. Didn't come across any bugs or glitches though, have to say. In regards to the image quality, it is poor - Looks like they are internally rendering the games themselves at 720p then blowing it up to 4k (on PS5 at least). Could have done so much more with this, extremely disappointing.

All I wanted were the plain old games in widescreen. They couldn't even do that, plus everything else was botched. LOL at this point we should praise the gaming Gods that Mania ever happened. Forget the sequel, they can't even deliver an old game now.

Ristifer

Thats Sega and Sonic Team in a nutshell.
Taxman good convertions of the classics are nothing in the wrong hands.
Taxman did well in not associate himself anymore with Sega, imagine what would happen if Sega pick Mania 2 by their hands and do this garbage. Actually, that old rumor about Mania 2 cancelation only makes more sense by the minute.
I'm honestly still sad that Mania 2 was basically shelved. Sonic Team and SEGA being so butthurt over someone else doing a game that's actually superior to their "efforts" really makes this situation look a lot worse, considering they can't even get these 100% right.

Last edited:

Fake

Stealth of Headcannon comes out and says that:
- while the submitted build had some issues, Sega made major changes that introduced more
- they had a tight deadline and asked for delays, stuff was rushed

Crazy that gamers nowadays are so powerful we can get the devs to talk shit and trash the finished product on the day of release.

What a disaster... Sonic Colors Ultimate all over again.

Taxman did a brilhant move not taking part of this shit. Maybe that article about Taxman not been happy with SEGA/Sonic Team was true after all.

Will serve as a lesson to headcannon team. Sometimes money is not more worth than your reputation.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I'm honestly still sad that Mania 2 was basically shelved. Sonic Team and SEGA being so butthut over someone else doing a game that's actually superior to their "efforts" really makes this situation look a lot worse, considering they can't even get these 100% right.
This was NO different for Streets of Rage 4. Sega of Japan wasn't too thrilled that 3 foreign studios (Dotemu, Guard Crush and Lizardcube) came together and created a game that exceeded everyone's expectations. Cultural gatekeeping basically. How dare they do better than us? WE CREATED THIS! The IP was pretty much dormant until these guys came through and it was a success. Joe Musashi from The Revenge of Shinobi was even playable but Sega of Japan was like "NAW." Devs were like, "let's add more music from the Streets of Rage games." Sega of Japan was like, "NAW. You only get SELECTED tracks from ONLY Streets of Rage 2 on the Genesis and Streets of Rage 1 from the Game Gear."

Ridiculous.

Krathoon

Heck. I would recommend the Mega Collection on the PS2. It was a complete collection.
The pixels are not totally sharp on that version, but that might be PCSX2 needing some tweaking.

Fake

I'm honestly still sad that Mania 2 was basically shelved. Sonic Team and SEGA being so butthut over someone else doing a game that's actually superior to their "efforts" really makes this situation look a lot worse, considering they can't even get these 100% right.

Envy was a hell of drug for Sonic Team. Taxman did the right thing getting that hell out of this project.
You gain nothing from people that want the sucess from your work. He know that.

Ristifer

This was NO different for Streets of Rage 4. Sega of Japan wasn't too thrilled that 3 foreign studios (Dotemu, Guard Crush and Lizardcube) came together and created a game that exceeded everyone's expectations. Cultural gatekeeping basically. How dare they do better than us? WE CREATED THIS! The IP was pretty much dormant until these guys came through and it was a success. Joe Musashi from The Revenge of Shinobi was even playable but Sega of Japan was like "NAW." Devs were like, "let's add more music from the Streets of Rage games." Sega of Japan was like, "NAW. You only get SELECTED tracks from ONLY Streets of Rage 2 on the Genesis and Streets of Rage 1 from the Game Gear."

Ridiculous.
Not to derail the thread here, but SEGA and Sonic Team have some major problems with control. Which is why I don't have much faith in Frontiers either. Ian Flynn gave an interview recently, saying that while he is overseeing the story for Frontiers, SEGA and Sonic Team have already laid everything out for him, including playable characters, story beats, etc. They just love to intervene, even when it's already in capable hands. Not sure why they even chose Flynn if this was going to be the case.

Krathoon

Can you play all the Knuckle variants in this collection? It did not sound like it.
You can do that in the Mega Collection Plus on the PS2.
Really all they needed to do was release a remastered version of that.

Needlecrash

Not to derail the thread here, but SEGA and Sonic Team have some major problems with control. Which is why I don't have much faith in Frontiers either. Ian Flynn gave an interview recently, saying that while he is overseeing the story for Frontiers, SEGA and Sonic Team have already laid everything out for him, including playable characters, story beats, etc. They just love to intervene, even when it's already in capable hands. Not sure why they even chose Flynn if this was going to be the case.
How sad. To mettle the game progress like this is insane. Side note, I really want a Sonic Mania 2. In a lot of cases, the best developers are the fans themselves who know the game inside and out, who can provide something familiar yet fresh.

Last edited:

TexMex

What's the difference between Story Mode and just playing the regular game beyond them all being connected? Does it matter which I do?

keefged4

What's the difference between Story Mode and just playing the regular game beyond them all being connected? Does it matter which I do?
It doesn't. I didn't even realise there was a story mode after finising all 4 games. Makes no difference, you still see all the cutscenes between games

Last edited:

TexMex

It doesn't. I didn't even realise there was a story mode after finising all 4 games. Makes no difference, you still see all the cutscenes between games

Thanks. Had someone tell me story mode was easier but I couldn’t tell a difference myself between the two.

DaGwaphics

$40 is the new $20.

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

Cheapass bastards don't cave like that.

Belthazar

I'm currently on Sonic 2 playing through Story Mode and... I'm honestly not seeing this trainwreck people are describing. The games look, sound and run great (I know there's the whole S3 music debacle, but that's like less than 5% or the soundtrack of the whole thing). The only "bug" I've seen is that there's a small delay between one song and the other when there's a sudden change (like for the stage end jingle and whatnot) but that honestly is very minor. The rest is actually a lot more competent than I expected and should definitely become the blueprint for what other companies should do with collections.

BlackTron

Ridiculous.

Sega's petty ways have not changed. It's what killed the company, and is why they don't get my money anymore despite that my favorite thing to do was to rabidly beg them to let me spend money.

I will admit, though, that after this development they will get my money one more time when Sega Ages Sonic 1 goes on sale. I was abstaining for so long waiting for Origins instead lol.

Reactions: Isa

SCB3

Thats Sega and Sonic Team in a nutshell.
Taxman good convertions of the classics are nothing in the wrong hands.
Taxman did well in not associate himself anymore with Sega, imagine what would happen if Sega pick Mania 2 by their hands and do this garbage. Actually, that old rumor about Mania 2 cancelation only makes more sense by the minute.

Honestly SEGA need to just shut down Sonic Team and outsource Sonic games, I can't even remember the last great Sonic Team game, was it Generations? Even the lesser ports that were released were better (the Wii and PS2 versions of unleashed for example are a lot better than the 360/PS3 versions)

I'm currently on Sonic 2 playing through Story Mode and... I'm honestly not seeing this trainwreck people are describing. The games look, sound and run great (I know there's the whole S3 music debacle, but that's like less than 5% or the soundtrack of the whole thing). The only "bug" I've seen is that there's a small delay between one song and the other when there's a sudden change (like for the stage end jingle and whatnot) but that honestly is very minor. The rest is actually a lot more competent than I expected and should definitely become the blueprint for what other companies should do with collections.
The blurriness of the image (which has now been fixed by modders on PC at least) and the weird frame timing issue where the game constantly stutters on certain setups are severe enough on their own to sink the whole thing imo, but what's worse is that even without these issues they're still not as good as already existing conversions available on PC which are widescreen and full of options. The animations they did for Origins are cool and maybe some people will like the mission mode but otherwise there is no reason to pay any money for this collection unless you just really want to give Sega money for some reason

I Platinumed this earlier today. Not worth the money imo. Mission mode is cool, but theres not enough of them. The "remixed" prototype music in 3&K is absolutely terrible. Didn't come across any bugs or glitches though, have to say. In regards to the image quality, it is poor - Looks like they are internally rendering the games themselves at 720p then blowing it up to 4k (on PS5 at least). Could have done so much more with this, extremely disappointing.
Do you know if you are able to zoom the camera out even further than in the screenshots I've seen? I'd love to play a Sonic game with a camera that's close to one of these shots:

sonic2greenhill-640x360.png

evVkWWc-nfMoGpxJS5oHcIDTeipqjHstVREGr1UdzYY.jpg

Fake

Why IGN taking so long to make the review? And why IGN don't report the dev complain over SEGA?

Strange...

Belthazar

The blurriness of the image (which has now been fixed by modders on PC at least) and the weird frame timing issue where the game constantly stutters on certain setups are severe enough on their own to sink the whole thing imo, but what's worse is that even without these issues they're still not as good as already existing conversions available on PC which are widescreen and full of options. The animations they did for Origins are cool and maybe some people will like the mission mode but otherwise there is no reason to pay any money for this collection unless you just really want to give Sega money for some reason

I guess this must be a PC only issue, then. My experience has been nearly flawless.

SCReuter

Disabling the anti-aliasing in Origins is equivalent to enabling the anti-aliasing in Mania. :goog_confused:

Sonic Mania (Filter: OFF)
lBlzzYa.png

Sonic Origins (Filter: OFF)
M0xVjKm.png

Sonic Mania (Filter: ON)
Gbj5xDG.png

That's the sharpest option available in Origins. I was looking forward to playing a clean, crisp version of Sonic CD, but the new release is just as blurry as the 7th generation installment (CD '11 vs. CD '22). Lame.

Maybe Sonic Team will figure it out next decade.

Last edited:

radewagon

While I am disappointed in this release and will not be buying it, I feel as though, somehow, I will manage.

johnny depp film GIF

I'm not saying how, mind you. I'm just saying that, y'know... I'll be okay.

Obviously I'm referring to Sonic Mega Collection Plus for the PS2.

It should have been a party. I was so hot about it. I did not care at all about the MJ content. But SEGA decided it otherwise...

Between this and Frontier, SEGA seems to want to kill Sonic. I see no other rational reason. They don't even want to be associate with the movies aka one of the best Sonic medium ever. I think Mania was a success despite SEGA. And SEGA Japan is still so fucking toxic. After mostly killing SEGA with the Saturn, they are doing the same thing with Sonic. There is no secret for Sonic fans why Mania was a success: no SEGA Japan interference.

Reactions: RNG

Krathoon

Really, you would have more fun playing Sonic Mega Collection Plus in PCSX2. ...or playing the roms from the Genesis Collection. The Steam version has an unaltered Sonic 3 and Knuckles. You may want to get that just in case they change it. I made a backup of the roms from that collection.

Susurrus

luckily I have all of these on Genesis Collection on Steam, (except Sonic CD which I also own on Steam) and my Switch Genesis controller works with that. I've been playing S3&K on that recently off and on. Hooked my laptop up to a projector, and played it that way w/ said controller. Was amazing.

Krathoon

Yeah. Didn't they take the Sonic CD remaster off Steam? I assume it is off Switch too.
I don't know if there is someway to backup Sonic CD since it has DRM.
Was there a Switch cartridge release of Sonic CD?

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
I was genuinely going to buy this but I have CD on Xbox and 1, 2, 3&K on Genesis. Will wait for Frontiers if it's not ass

Last edited:
No buy for me! Hell even the Megadrive collection on PS4 has a save feature. Not ncluding one is just a lazy corporate decision and should be blasted.

cireza

Banned
I think if you already own the Sonic CD Remake, they can't prevent you from downloading it.
That would really be obnoxious if they did that.
I may back it up.
No they can't do that. What I meant is that they removed Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles from all store fronts, with the exception of the Sega Ages games on Switch. All these games were available on Steam on Xbox, and I think that the Xbox games had the proper music.

Last edited:
You can directly pull the roms out of SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics on Steam. They are just sitting in a directory in the application. They did not bother to encrypt them or anything.
I went ahead and made a copy of that whole directory.
You can run any licenced games on the Steam MegaDrive and Genesis Classics collection and it could be a big problem for Sega.

Last edited:

Krathoon

You can run any licenced games on the Steam MegaDrive and Genesis Classics collection and it could be a big problem for Sega.
Yeah. For some weird reason, they did not encrypt the roms. They are in a directory called "uncompressed ROMs". Really obvious.
You can run them in any other Genesis emulator.

Last edited:
Top Bottom