• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Movie Producer Says “Fans Will Be Pleased” With Sonic’s Redesign

Mista

Banned
sonic.jpg

Towards the end of his interview with Variety for Terminator: Dark Fate, which received its fair share of complaints and vitriol, Miller was asked about how he dealt with fans’ anger towards Sonic’s monstrous design, their pleas to redesign him, and pushing the movie’s release date back in order to redesign Sonic in a manner that reflects how he appears in the games.

He said that he agreed with Jeff Fowler, the director for the Sonic movie, that addressing the issue about Sonic’s design on Twitter was the best way to handle the outrage.
“When ‘Sonic’ arrived, the director, Jeff Fowler, was the best guy to do it. The redesign? Look, I was with fans, and so was Jeff. This is a franchise, and it has to be great. When the sh—t hit the fan, I went over there and said, ‘The most important thing to do, man, is say, ‘I f—ked up.’ He’d already sent a tweet out before I got there. He’s a good man. It was exactly the right way to handle that. The fans have a voice in this too. There’s a right way to listen.”

When asked if he saw Sonic’s redesign at all, Miller said, “In fact I have. And I think the fans will be pleased.”

Mista

Banned
Nobody is even optimistic about it. From what I read, all of them wished this didn’t exist in one way or another.

It doesn't matter what he looks like. The movie itself looks awful. I doubt even Jim Carrey can save it.

No one asked for a live-action Sonic movie. In my opinion, a cartoon Sonic movie like the '90s OVA would be much better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
All they have to do is copy the Wreck It Ralph Sonic design.

Is that so hard to do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Saber

Gold Member
I guess its easy to resolve that issue by simply using Sonic already know model from games. I don't think theres a need for those photorealistics models.

In any circunstance, here we go.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It will be hard, because there are exactly two ways they could even please some Sonic fans:
- Copy Mega Drive Sonic's design
- Copy Modern Sonic's design
Neither will please all, but I would think the first would please a majority. All designs they could come up with on their own will be shit anyway.

Chittagong

Gold Member
You can tell the movie will the authentic to the essence of Sonic since even the special effects go through the Sonic cycle

Geki-D

Banned
All they have to do is copy the Wreck It Ralph Sonic design.
That would look so so bad next to live action actors, the cyclops eye really shouldn't be in live action. It would only work if they made a full cgi movie instead which may have been a better idea.

They can't just stick old style cartoon Sonic or modern style anime Sonic into a movie next to real actors where Sonic is meant to look like a thing that exists in the real world. That would look as terrible as what we originally got in the trailer.

Expect the redesign to be closer to modern video game Sonic but still with a realistic look. No doubt still no cyclops eye.

It'll most likely look closer to this which is probably the best fan design I've seen:
y0ukl7px18k21.png

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
"realistic" Sonic is just as ridiculous and an eyesore as cartoon Sonic. i'd rather they go with a stylized version. do not need muscles. yuck.

i mean Who Framed Roger Rabbit? successfully pulled off mixing cartoons & live action and that was made 30 years ago.

Geki-D

Banned
i mean Who Framed Roger Rabbit? successfully pulled off mixing cartoons & live action and that was made 30 years ago.
The reason why that looked good was because Roger Rabbit was an actual cartoon and the reason there were cartoons with real people in that movie is explained in the plot. A better example of what you apparently want would be this:

obZKFQc.png

Instead of this:
5a9ef745b5381541008b4716-750-563.jpg

Without the plot ever actually saying why Pooh is an obvious cartoon character. I mean, if you think that looks good then, good for you? I think most people, though, would say that sucks.

It would only work if the whole story was about some reason why Sonic is a cartoon or video game model amongst people in the real world and even then I still think most people would hate that.

Tesseract

Banned
poor bastards have to render everything again, prolly gonna do it any way

all the scripting and shit is done so it don't matter much

hope it's good

Barnabot

this clickbait chump is also involved in the Sonic movie, things are starting to make sense.

(Now I'm not feeling very confiident)
hmmmm

hmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

DqvD60H.png

wT2rKxB.gif

Last edited:

Domisto

(Now I'm not feeling very confiident)
hmmmm
To be fair to Miller, I'm probably being a little hard on him. The press are amplifying his comments, but I'd have hoped someone in his position would know better than to engage in bullshit gender war questions and not fan the flames.

Regardless, I'm feeling confident both films will be forgettable flops because they have all the hallmarks of unimaginative franchise filler. It's all so underwhelming. Bring back hilariously shit sonic monster and stick him in Terminator 6.

Top Bottom