• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania 2 Is Said to Have Been Scrapped Internally at Sega

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't know what issues it had, but Sonic Mania its way better than any Sonic games they made since the 16 bits. They proved they can make better Sonic games than the Sega/Dimps teams who worked on Sonic in the recent generations. So yes, I'd give them a blank check and I'd keep the Sega America noise out of the question and would allow them to report directly to Japan.
I mean they wanted more support, I am not talking about a babysitter, I am talking about a producer who can keep them on time and on target and help find solutions for shortfalls, and help delegate conflicts.

There's no doubt those guys know Sonic better than anyone and I doubt anyone else could have made that game. Sega needs them. But they needed Sega to step up more than they did too.

Mania's development broke that team. They're not going to work together again. I don't really know who was right or wrong in that divorce, frankly it sounds like they worked themselves to the bone and it was just too much, but the two principal devs are not on good terms... Evening Star is just one side of that divorce, so I wouldn't guarantee the same result.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Mania's development broke that team. They're not going to work together again. I don't really know who was right or wrong in that divorce, frankly it sounds like they worked themselves to the bone and it was just too much, but the two principal devs are not on good terms... Evening Star is just one side of that divorce, so I wouldn't guarantee the same result.

Its not difficult to say who "lost".
Sega, just like Sonic Team, tried to replicate the formula of Sonic(plataform plus physics) for decades. Decades of failure, they never get any closer to Sonic 3 and Knuckles. So the best they could ever do is try their take, and while on it re-release classic Sonic games countless times(and still failure to do a decent port).

Taxman on the other hand archieve a pretty closer experience on his first try. And made all ports of Sonic classic games great(CD, Sonic 2, you name it).

Just ask yourself, if its not Taxman behind Sonic Origins then who gonna be? Gonna end up being like those countless bad ports.

Btw according to the blog, all this bad events happening to Sonic are SoA fault.

Last edited:

yurinka

I mean they wanted more support, I am not talking about a babysitter, I am talking about a producer who can keep them on time and on target and help find solutions for shortfalls, and help delegate conflicts.
Yep, all games developed by an external developed for a publisher have a producer for these things and this case shouldn't be an exception.

There's no doubt those guys know Sonic better than anyone and I doubt anyone else could have made that game. Sega needs them. But they needed Sega to step up more than they did too.

I agree.

SF Kosmo

Its not difficult to say who "lost".
Sega, just like Sonic Team, tried to replicate the formula of Sonic(plataform plus physics) for decades. Decades of failure, they never get any closer to Sonic 3 and Knuckles. So the best they could ever do is try their take, and while on it re-release classic Sonic games countless times(and still failure to do a decent port).

Taxman on the other hand archieve a pretty closer experience on his first try. And made all ports of Sonic classic games great(CD, Sonic 2, you name it).

Just ask yourself, if its not Taxman behind Sonic Origins then who gonna be? Gonna end up being like those countless bad ports.

Btw according to the blog, all this bad events happening to Sonic are SoA fault.

To be clear, by "Principal devs," I mean internally on the team not between the team and Sega. Sega didn't do shit.

But there are a number of key people who worked on Mania who didn't make the leap to Evening Star. Taxman wasn't the only guy.

Last edited:
So Sonic Mania does extremely well and is regarded as Sonic's return to form so they scrap the sequel?

giphy.gif

Silvawuff

Disappointing news if its true. Mania was brilliant.

Sega at least give us a port/remaster of your Sonic magnum opus - S3&K. Change the copyrighted music problem to something else. It's criminal there are probably now 3+ generations of people that have never played it.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Sad that all my fav games from the past few years Sonic Mania(2017), Titanfall 2(2016), Battlefront(2015), MGSV:GZ(2014) GTAV(2013) all wont be getting proper sequels for bullshit reasons

I basically give up on modern gaming....the boneheads at these companies wont make what I want

Soodanim

Gold Member
So I don't know exactly what went down with Mania 2 but I have talked to someone who worked on Mania 1 and I can speak to a few things that might surprise people. Sega always treated Mania like a bastard child.

1. It was never Sega's baby. That game was the result of a fan made pitch demo and someone that advocated really hard for it. Sega of Japan never wanted it and Sonic Team supposedly kind of resented it.

2. It got ZERO support. Sega didn't even assign them a producer. They were a first time dev left completely on their own, and Sega did nothing to help.

3. It barely got done. Development was not smooth. A lot of shit got cut and there were a lot of sleepless nights getting what was there in shape.

4. They got a VERY SHITTY deal. They did not get royalties from the game's success. They were paid like contractors and not well. It was a passion projects and a dream if theirs to work on the Sonic franchise and Sega took advantage of them.

Based on the comments I would guess #4 is the sticking point. They probably wanted fair pay and a piece of the title's success and Sega probably wanted them to work for slave wages and own nothing again like they did the first time.
That’s a shame to hear, but not surprising. Especially point 1. Sonic Team keep putting out shit failures that they think will be fun, and out of nowhere, by sheer will of fan desire, they’re making the exact opposite of what the mainline projects are. And then when it’s done it turns out to be better reviewed across the board.

And Sega still doesn’t see it. Why break the Sonic Cycle when you can continue it forever? Who doesn’t want to be defined by an infamous meme about how shit every game you put out is?

I didn't think Sonic Mania was good in the 1st place. A mishmash of various Sonic levels trying to be merged into one, lovely graphics mind.

Tazzu

Taxman seems to be back for the new Sonic collection.

Fake

Taxman seems to be back for the new Sonic collection.
Not true. There are no confirmation of Taxman doing this collection. The only confirmation we have are Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD will be the version Taxman created, thats not mean Taxman is involved. SEGA could hire a company to port those games from Android.

Last edited:

Ristifer

I would assume that Sega is working with M2 on Origins, but I can't remember if there's any confirmation of anything at this point.

Marvel14

Banned
Am surprised by how little I enjoyed Sonic Mania after buying and enjoying the original in 1991 with my new Genesis.....the speed mechanic doesn't work for me as an intuitive and sustained source of enjoyment.

Last edited:

Tazzu

Not true. There are no confirmation of Taxman doing this collection. The only confirmation we have are Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD will be the version Taxman created, thats not mean Taxman is involved. SEGA could hire a company to port those games from Android.
That sucks, will 3 and Knuckles get the modern treatment?

The team did do the Encore DLC so the relationship can't be that bad?

SF Kosmo

I think it's just a matter of not agreeing on the money.

Last edited:

Fake

IDK, but after reading this article and blog is very unlikely. If Taxman don't come at public confirming his job over this collection, we're pretty much guess SEGA will hire some unknown dev company to port those games, even S3&K.

Last edited:
Are Sega bat shit crazy!? Best sonic game since the megadrive and the scrap the sequel, makes no sense.
And on top of that, it was Sega of America's fault? Usually it's Sega of Japan making the idiotically terrible business decisions. Hold the L this time ,SoA.

If true they must fire anyone in Sega involved on scrapping this game. And to prioritize Sonic Mania 2 over any other Sonic game projects. Sonic Mania is the best Sonic game ever made since Mega Drive and Mega CD, so it's the path to follow and not the bad 3D games.

TBH the 3D Sonic games wouldn't be bad if they just found game mechanics that worked/showed promise and stuck with them. Problem is they throw the baby out with the bathwater with every new 3D Sonic, outside of the dash mechanic.

It's hard to polish up game mechanics when you're not iterating on them over multiple installments. That's been the key to why 3D Mario games are so successful: consistent refinement of core mechanics, physics systems, controls etc. 3D Sonic needs to do similar.

Last edited:

Tazzu

IDK, but after reading this article and blog is very unlikely. If Taxman don't come at public confirming his job over this collection, we're pretty much guess SEGA will hire some unknow dev company to port those games, even S3&K.
I absolutely loved Sonic Mania. They game was clearly made with a lot of love but hearing that the devs had a bad time is heartbreaking. Do you have links to the blog posts?

Fake

People should know that Zippo is a fraud. He was never right about anything and has been ban from multiple forums.

So it's very possible Sonic Mania 2 is a thing.

People should know that Zippo is a fraud. He was never right about anything and has been ban from multiple forums.

again i'm out of the loop, what did Zippo do to harm his credibility? because i remember him being right about a couple things (Some Smash characters, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, etc.)

Saber

Gold Member

Well...we did have a few putrid level of rumors of Sonic not that long ago. One that keep praising Forces and 06(calling it big hits) and saying Mania was a a fan made flop game. Is this rumor from the same guy?

I admit that would be damn stupid move from Sega trash Mania taking account all the invest they did on media, but Sega already proved to be pretty retarded when it comes to Sonic(Boom for instance).

Last edited:

Labolas

A fucking shame that the Mania devs got the short end of the stick and ultimately got fucked. Sega needs to get their heads out of their asses. Retarded ass decisions.

Ristifer

I don't 100% trust these "leaks" either. However, I think Evening Star has been hiring for 3D artists/designers for a long time now, so it does go along with this information.

Top Bottom