• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Frontiers won't be delayed despite fan feedback

anthony2690

Banned
Well in his defense, the new footage shown on the latest batch of previews looks SO much better than what was shown from IGN.
Time to check youtube, as ign did no favours for this game.

But online impressions on twitter from those at the events seem to be very positive, apparently you unlock traditional levels too for the emeralds, what I'm happy to hear about :)

Holammer

a8c.jpg

Sunk cost is one helluva drug.

Whitecrow

Banned
I refuse to let you all change the narrative to "well it was IGN's fault it looked bad."

No, you guys were just insanely off on this one and I called it right away. The game always looked fun. Now everyone who has played it is backing up what I said and a lot of people on here are going to be proven wrong.
If you think IGN footage looked good, your standards are looooooow. That, or you dont have eye for 'goodness'.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If you think IGN footage looked good, your standards are looooooow. That, or you dont have eye for 'goodness'.
It looked like an open world Sonic game with some new ideas for platforming and combat. People on here couldn't admit Pokemon Arceus was going to be good either. It's pretty much the best Pokemon game ever released.

There's pointing out some flaws, and then there's hyperbolic meltdown exaggeration. Two different things.

Batiman

Banned
My son grew up playing all the crappy sonic games and still loves the franchise despite realizing as he got older their flaws. He was waiting to see the next release. This game finally made him give up with the sonic team. He was heartbroken seeing this game. And he like forces, lost world and even boom….

This looks like complete ass

Whitecrow

Banned
It looked like an open world Sonic game with some new ideas for platforming and combat. People on here couldn't admit Pokemon Arceus was going to be good either. It's pretty much the best Pokemon game ever released.

There's pointing out some flaws, and then there's hyperbolic meltdown exaggeration. Two different things.
Because a lot of people dont want just 'fun'.

Sonic Frontiers gameplay might be fun, and it will probably be.

Everything else tho, is fan game level. Worse even.
Art, design, animations, soul, identity... There's none of that. At least yet.

Good for those who dont care, but this game have no rights to look this bad.

Last edited:
“From our playtesting results we have been iterating, we have been listening to the comments that come back, but we’ve also been getting a lot of great feedback from people who rate the game and are like, ‘I had a lot of fun playing this game, I’d give it like an 80 or 90 point score out of 100’.

This is encouraging

DonJorginho

Banned
I refuse to let you all change the narrative to "well it was IGN's fault it looked bad."

No, you guys were just insanely off on this one and I called it right away. The game always looked fun. Now everyone who has played it is backing up what I said and a lot of people on here are going to be proven wrong.
I wasn't!

#SonicFrontiers4Life 💙

WolfusFh

Because a lot of people dont want just 'fun'.

Sonic Frontiers gameplay might be fun, and it will probably be.

Everything else tho, is fan game level. Worse even.
Art, design, animations, sould, identity... There's none of that. At least yet.

Good for those who dont care, but this game have no rights to look this bad.
The gameplay didn't look fun from those footages either. A sonic open world with shitty physics, no momentum whatsoever, and what seemed to be button mashy combat with sponge enemies.

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about, and without footage of the demo, I wouldn't trust people's impression either. Overhauled visuals and shiny stuff is all it takes to impress A LOT of people.

Ristifer

I'm going to try my best to not get on Sonic Team for their tremendously shitty efforts. However, from what I understand, this game basically has an overworld where you have to earn parts/collectibles/whatever, in order to open up portals to more traditional Sonic levels? Levels that, for the most part, are probably just going to play like Sonic Forces, because Sonic Team, once again, forgot about how momentum works, and everything is just on rails?

I'm struggling to see the appeal, and I'm a massive Sonic fan. So, instead of just getting traditional Sonic levels with actual fun, you now have to earn your way into them? I don't know. I'm struggling here.

jaysius

Banned
This isn't a smart business move, but by the looks of this game footage they're probably in too deep.

If this releases and looks like it does in all this IGN footage, then this will fail miserably.

It's very possible that this footage is Pre-Alpha or something that's far too early to be shown, that would be dumb on Sega's part, but it's still their fault.

Everyone has to keep hoping for a good Sonic game.

Whitecrow

Banned
The gameplay didn't look fun from those footages either. A sonic open world with shitty physics, no momentum whatsoever, and what seemed to be button mashy combat with sponge enemies.

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about, and without footage of the demo, I wouldn't trust people's impression either. Overhauled visuals and shiny stuff is all it takes to impress A LOT of people.
The fun part is subjective. Everything else is not.

I was hoping for some momentum based gameplay too, but I think I can deal with the playing ground thing. But not with this graphics.

Saber

Gold Member
*Tries to make a bad copy of BoW with Sonic and says people don't understand

Aways knew Iizuka ego was way too high, deep inside his asshole.

Let this tech demo mediocre game sink then. Sonic Forces meet the same fate, with everyone "don't understanding" that stupid cyc idea aside from this retard.

Last edited:

Look at the 7:30 mark. This is straight PSO2:NG combat but faster. A lot of people are going to get addicted to the combat. I like how the enemy runs away and you have to speed up and catch it and start wailing on it again. Enemies in PSO2:NG don't run that far away, this was a design choice to take advantage of Sonic's speed and ability to cover ground quickly.

Also a lot of people keep complaining about momentum physics but I think they are going to be pleasantly surprised by the feeling of PSO2:NG movement combined with Sonic's speedy boost mechanics feels. Different doesn't necessarily mean bad. I want to move around as Sonic now. Hopefully they release a demo

Good for Sonic Team. Most of the people bashing this title aren't Sonic fans at all and I doubt have played a Sonic game in decades.
How does this logic even work when a large chunk of the complaints are about reused assets from the last Sonic game and the open-world not blending in with established Sonic gameplay at all?

Look at the 7:30 mark. This is straight PSO2:NG combat but faster. A lot of people are going to get addicted to the combat. I like how the enemy runs away and you have to speed up and catch it and start wailing on it again. Enemies in PSO2:NG don't run that far away, this was a design choice to take advantage of Sonic's speed and ability to cover ground quickly.

Also a lot of people keep complaining about momentum physics but I think they are going to be pleasantly surprised by the feeling of PSO2:NG movement combined with Sonic's speedy boost mechanics feels. Different doesn't necessarily mean bad. I want to move around as Sonic now. Hopefully they release a demo
Look, I know you folks have high hopes for combat in a Sonic game, but... they tried it with Sonic Heroes and it was easily the worst aspect of the gameplay. They tried it with Sonic Unleashed and it was the most controversial aspect of the gameplay. They gave Sonic weird melee attacks with the parkour system in Lost World and they felt off and slowed the game down compared to the homing attacks of old. They tried a more low-key, downscaled aspect of it in Sonic Forces with the player avatars, and in practice people greatly preferred the weapons that helped with travel and platforming than with combat. That is FOUR TIMES Sega tried altering the base gameplay to be more combat oriented with a result that was ultimately seen as detrimental to the base gameplay.
PSO2 engine or not, I do not have this sudden ray of hope that Sonic Team, under the same director as three of the four previous tries at this, will suddenly "get combat in Sonic right". And the fact that so many of these demos focus heavily on the combat as if this is going to be the game's main gameplay loop troubles me.
Furthermore, it's baffling that for all the stuff they took from BOTW, they have not shown anything remotely resembling using physics/gravity/inertia as a weapon against your enemies - something done to great effect in BOTW that in theory would work great in Sonic because he can cause physics mechanics to happen just by running fast. It's ridiculous that Sonic will run to an opponent at a speed which would be enough to leave a crater in it's armor only to then stop in place and throw a sissy-looking punch.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned

This already looks a lot better than IGN footage. Like, Miles better.

Sonic looks like he belongs to the space he is in now, animations and effects also seems to be added, and the grass. It makes world of difference.

Last edited:

cireza

And it makes perfect sense. In modern days, there is ALWAYS a guy to tell you "this game requires two more years of development lol".

If you start listening to this guy, you will never release anything.

How does this logic even work when a large chunk of the complaints are about reused assets from the last Sonic game and the open-world not blending in with established Sonic gameplay at all?
Not the same ones who called for Sonic Team to drop the same old gameplay and Boost style gamplay?

Not the same ones who called for Sonic Team to drop the same old gameplay and Boost style gamplay?
Not sure what you're asking here, but...
This isn't even as different from "Boost gameplay" as Sonic Unleashed's werehog levels or Sega's various interpretations of "Classic Sonic". The people who asked to drop boost gameplay aren't getting what they asked for here either. All the people propping up how "different" this is are grossly overstating it.

Kssio_Aug

I think that compared to almost every other 3D Sonic game relesead, it doesn't look so bad to be fair. My main problem with this one specifically was the boring art direction they chose... makes everything less charming. It can be a decent game in the end.

And I never expected them to change directions because of fan reactions either... it's not like they didn't have almost 20 years to do so but kept not giving a fuck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom