• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Frontiers Sold Over 2.9 Million Copies As Of December 2022 - Persona Series Sold 1.5 Million Copies Worldwide From October to December 2022

Draugoth

Gold Member
hero

Today Sega announced its financial results for the first nine months of the fiscal year related to the period between April and December 2022.

According to the press release, net sales were 271,979 million yen, up 14.9% year-on-year. Operating income was 38,222 million yen, up 17.0% year-on-year.

Speaking of the Entertainment contents Segment of the business, which includes video games, net sales were 210,451 million yen, up 18.3% year-on-year. Ordinary income was 41,581 million yen, up 12.8% year-on-year.

We hear that both Sonic Frontiers and the multiplatform release of Persona 5 Royal enjoyed a strong performance shipping respectively 2.9 million and 1.3 million units worldwide as of Decembe 31, 2022. Unfortunately, sales of catalog titles (released in previous fiscal years) were "sluggish."

Sega increased its forecast for the full fiscal year by 6,500 million yen in sales and 6,000 million yen in ordinary income. The entertainment content business' forecast was increased by 3,000 million yen in sales and 1,000 million yen in operating income.

That being said, the net sales forecast for consumer titles (for consoles/pc) was decreased by 4,000 million yen, while the ordinary income forecast was left untouched. The overall increase for the segment was mostly due to the Amusement Machine business, which focuses mostly on UFO catchers for arcades and their prizes.

Speaking of console games, Sega is launching "multiple mainstay titles" during the last quarter of the fiscal year (Q4) between January and March. These include Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden, Like a Dragon: Ishin!, and Company of Heroes 3.

P5R-Opening-1024x576.jpg

Sega Sammy has released the company’s Fiscal Year Ending March 2023 third quarter (consisting of October, November, December 2022) financial results today. As with previous earnings reports, Sega has an outline for specific game series which notably performed during that quarter, including Persona.

According to the financial results, the Persona series sold approximately 1.54 million units worldwide (including digital and physical sales) in October, November and December 2022. This comes from 1.3 million Persona 5 Royal Remaster sales and 200k repeat sales from previous releases.

This makes for a total of 2.04 million copies sold of the Persona series this fiscal year, with 270k sold between April and June 2022, and 230k sold between July and August 2022.

As reported in May 2022, the Persona series had achieved 1.3 million copies sold from the beginning of April 2021 to the end of March 2022.

Persona 5 Royal Remaster Updated Sales​

The main factor driving the sales in the third quarter would be the remastered release of Persona 5 Royal in October 2022. In November 2022, it was confirmed that the game had sold of 1 million copies worldwide.

In Sega Sammy’s report, it has been specified that Persona 5 Royal Remaster has sold 1.3 million copies as of December 2022.

The recent releases of the remastered versions of Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden would not factor into these numbers, as they were released in the fourth quarter of this fiscal year.

Previous Persona Sales Milestones​

In November 2022, Atlus confirmed that the Persona series had sold approximately 16.8 million units worldwide. As of the end of November 2022, the Persona 5 series (including Persona 5, Persona 5 Royal, Persona 5 Strikers, and Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight) has sold 8.3 million units worldwide.

Mr Hyde

Probably gonna pull the trigger on Sonic Frontiers when it gets a discount. Looks really fun. I've never been keen on 3D Sonic, but Frontiers seems to be a different beast.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Sonic Fans are as ignorant as Pokemon fans. No matter what turd the devs make and slap the Sonic/Pokemon its gonna do great.

Have they fixed all the stuff from this video or is it just as hillariously bad? Because I have no idea how the fuck are people buying this shit. Im sure if this had any other name other than Sonic it would be thrown in the garbage bin.

Roufianos

Sonic Fans are as ignorant as Pokemon fans. No matter what turd the devs make and slap the Sonic/Pokemon its gonna do great.

Have they fixed all the stuff from this video or is it just as hillariously bad? Because I have no idea how the fuck are people buying this shit. Im sure if this had any other name other than Sonic it would be thrown in the garbage bin.

Agreed. Gave it a try and it's one of the worst games I've played in years. Makes Generations look like a masterpiece.

People aren't paying attention to how bad this announcement is because of the PR cloud and the mixed to positive reception of the game compared to previous entries.

Sonic Frontiers sold 2.5M In a month, and only SHIPPED 400K by years end, which means sold-through is LESS than <400,000.

That's MIMIMUM an 85% drop and possibly higher.

The Sonic post-launch death wall is here and more real then ever. The games also already been on sale off and on.

This game won't hit 4M. I'm not even 100% sure it will reach 3.5M but with more discounts over the next few years on all platforms, that's at least possible, but 4M isn't.

They did a good job getting people to buy month 1 and this game is a good change from the usual 3D Sonic, but the issue has always been Sonic failing to sell over the long run outside hardcore fans.

They like release this game in every plataform they could have and sold less than some exclusives.

I really don't see this as a positive thing.

It's not positive at all, 85% downfall from November is the panic button.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member

Previous Sonic Games made the bar really low.

Fake

They like release this game in every plataform they could have and sold less than some exclusives.

I really don't see this as a positive thing.

Sonic hasn't sold great since the 90s and this thread shows that this game has a 85% sales decline, possibly more, from the previous month.

Likely all the fans have already brought the game. The ones who fell for this.

I don't get it, it's saying that the Sonic series sold 5.8 million through the fiscal year of 22/23? but then it says Sonic Frontiers sold 2.9 million.

Sonic Colors Ultimate, and Sonic Origins, plus mobile downloads.

Sega counts mobile which is why they had that PR piece Sonic franchise sold over 1 billion.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
This game won't hit 4M. I'm not even 100% sure it will reach 3.5M but with more discounts over the next few years on all platforms, that's at least possible, but 4M isn't.
You don't realize most Sonic are long seller and TV shows/movies are boosting all Sonic games (available on the physical market).

Sonic 3, Sonic Prime season 2 and of course the yearly Xmas boost...

3.5M, really ?

You don't realize most Sonic are long seller and TV shows/movies are boosting all Sonic games (available on the physical market).

Sonic 3, Sonic Prime season 2 and of course the yearly Xmas boost...

3.5M, really ?

No they aren't.

Sonic is a series that has early sales and then sales slow to a crawl.

We have seen this with every Sonic game since the mid 1990.

Only Mario crossovers do well because of Mario. Excluding mobile.

Sonic for being such a big franchise through word of mouth, doesn't have many games that sell well. It makes most of its money outside of games.

Halo 5 was an underwhelming game that sold 5M in a few months, those are sales you think Sonic would have but they don't. This might be the first major Sonic to sell 3M in two decades.

Frontiers going from 2.5M to less than 400,000 the next month shows the game is done, the fans brought it and no one else is going for it.

I had a blast with it and its getting positive fan reaction especially on Steam where those reviews are from people that actually bought the game. Hopefully Sonic Team sticks to their word and improves on this formula .

Fat Frog

BLABLABLABLABLA No they aren't.
BLABLABLABLABLA BLABLABLABLABL
BLABLABLABLABLA
BLABLABLABLABLA
We have seen this with every Sonic game since the mid 1990.
BLABLABLABLABLA
Only Mario crossovers do well because of Mario. Excluding mobile.

Sonic for being such a big franchise through word of mouth, doesn't have many games that sell well. It makes most of its money outside of games.

Halo 5 was an underwhelming game that sold 5M in a few months, those are sales you think Sonic would have but they don't. This might be the first major Sonic to sell 3M in two decades.

Frontiers going from 2.5M to less than 400,000 the next month shows the game is done, the fans brought it and no one else is going for it.
Cut the crap. 😌

Sonic Frontiers won't pass 3.5M, that's you claim.

If Sonic passes 3.5M, you'll gain a Sonic Frontier avatar... If it remains under 3.5M, i'll get an ugly Sonic avatar. 🤑

OuterLimits

Wonder what the breakdown is for Persona 5 Royal on the Switch/PC/Xbox in last few months. Regardless, Atlus finally deciding to release it on other platforms made them significant cash. Probably should have happened sooner.

The Stig

Cut the crap. 😌

Sonic Frontiers won't pass 3.5M, that's you claim.

If Sonic passes 3.5M, you'll gain a Sonic Frontier avatar... If it remains under 3.5M, i'll get an ugly Sonic avatar. 🤑
nope. sorry. you're stuck with that avatar forever.

BlackTron

As a huge Sonic fan, I considered getting this game on sale just because. But then I considered the value of my time too.

Good. Next game better have a way bigger budget and better have CG cutscenes.

Frontiers is SO fun but:

1. It’s very janky
2. It’s ugly
3. The cutscenes are even uglier

I thoroughly enjoyed Frontiers- it was all around such a step up from... just about every release after Generations. The music in all areas is easily some of the highest tier in the franchise, the open world is just fun and addicting to run around from challenge to challenge, and it had An Actual Story again (being a legit, actual tie to SA1/Chaos) with legit character moments. It really felt like an overall series course correction, in general presentation and care.

Now to be fair, it had some issues for sure- for me, mainly: they really need to up their game on the short stages... I'd rather take a few Generations quality Acts than the plentiful but definitely less than stellar group of short stages we got here. The actual cutscene quality also left quite a bit to be desired, a big part being... why are they all 30fps locked? it's unappealing going from that smooth, open world to that framerate so frequently, for real.

Therr are a few other things as well, but despite that... Again, I had a great time with the game and I'm still just genuinely happy it turned out how it did, and that it sold well. Gives hope for a proper sequel that can address a number of these issues, as well

Alan Wake

I had great fun with this game. A bit rough around the edges, but certainly a big step in the right direction for the franchise and I'm glad it's done well.

SkylineRKR

I beat Sonic Frontiers some time ago and I had a ton of fun with it. But its been discounted quite a lot already.

I skipped quite a bit of cutscenes because they are legit terrible. The pop in is horrible. And its repetitive. But luckily the game does stray from its path just when I had enough, the 4th zone is very different. Sadly the 5th is same old again, SF does have a zone too many. And 4/5 zones is the same with finding a friend and doing the same stuff.

The cyberspace levels I really enjoyed. They are perfect to restart and they don't have many enemies and cheap pitfalls. To me they aren't frustrating. I S ranked all of them.

There is some potential, if they can manage to trim it to a better paced experience, perhaps with its cyberspace stages being actual parts of the open zones.

Whitecrow

Banned
There's a lot of fun to be had beneath the looks.

I was on the 'This is a turd' boat before, then I decided to give it a longer try, and it clicked. Strongly.

SweetShark

I would possibly categorized "Sonic Frontiers" in a List which should name it 'Games that looks fun as Hell, but probably I will regret playing them'.

I am in love each time I see gameplay footages from this game, but probably I will get bored of it if I attempt to play.

You know, the same thing with the majority of fighting games: they look hype but we suck at them or we play for 5 minutes and leave them in dust.

This kind of List.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

I would possibly categorized "Sonic Frontiers" in a List which should name it 'Games that looks fun as Hell, but probably I will regret playing them'.

I am in love each time I see gameplay footages from this game, but probably I will get bored of it if I attempt to play.

You know, the same thing with the majority of fighting games: they look hype but we suck at them or we play for 5 minutes and leave them in dust.

This kind of List.
I had the opposite experience. I thought it looked like a demo or a game in alpha but pre-ordered and almost fell in love with the gameplay. The open areas could use some love because they're pretty boring looking but I had tons of fun with all the small puzzles and story bits. It's the boldest Sonic game since Sonic Adventure, with some obvious flaws but with lots of heart and some really cool new stuff (like cyloop, which is the best new move since the spindash in Sonic 2).

BlackTron

Reading the impressions in here, idk I might try it again when it's twenty bucks. I came in with extremely low expectations when I had the chance to try it on my brother's laptop over Christmas.

Maybe it was just the fact that I fired it up in the middle of his file, but I was even less impressed than I thought. I figured the game would at least be okay for running around as Sonic in an open world but I kept feeling funneled into all these repetitive platforming sections that "lock you in". It just seemed like a bunch of random janky crap held together by OMG OPEN WORLD SONIC!! Yes, I tried combat and levels too.

I would just rather play a game like Sonic 2 or Sonic Adventure that I can plow through in an hour or two and inject more fast-paced platforming goodness directly into my veins in that time than this whole game has. But I feel the same way about BOTW and old Zelda games so...

I wouldn't play middling or shitty Mario games "with potential for the future" if that's the path he went down, that's too depressing.

jigglet

Banned
I feel like if the Sonic franchise was properly managed it could be a 20 million per game sort of series.

https://nintendoeverything.com/january-2023-npd-best-selling-games-in-the-u-s/

Sonic frontiers is still going strong at #11 for the month of January in the U.S. I can see sales rising again when there are more game updates and when Sonic Prime episodes come out. The show was a hit and new episodes may have the same impact as the Last of Us tv show had on increasing game sales. I'm pretty sure netflix updates their animated shows twice a year? I could have swore Voltron had 2 updates every year. If new episodes come out during every holiday season the next few years Sega will clean up with sales.

Fat Frog

3.2 M in March 😎🦔😎:

*More free updates with popular characters are coming.
*Sonic Prime season 2
*Paramount spin off
*Yearly Xmas boosts.
*2024 movie without pandemic.

Surrender, pawl 👅.
3.5 is locked. 4 will be reached in a few years.(Sonic is long seller except when it's stuck on dead console like the Wii U)

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
1.5 Million for the entire series?
That can't be right

SomeGit

3.2 M in March 😎🦔😎:

*More free updates with popular characters are coming.
*Sonic Prime season 2
*Paramount spin off
*Yearly Xmas boosts.
*2024 movie without pandemic.

Surrender, pawl 👅.
3.5 is locked. 4 will be reached in a few years.(Sonic is long seller except when it's stuck on dead console like the Wii U)

It will probably reach 4 million this year easily, I have no idea where this notion that Sonic sells poorly overtime comes from, maybe from the PS360 era and below where Sega was pumping out massive amounts of Sonic games so they would be replaced fairly quickly but recently they have had pretty long legs specially on Switch.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

It will probably reach 4 million this year easily, I have no idea where this notion that Sonic sells poorly overtime comes from, maybe from the PS360 era and below where Sega was pumping out massive amounts of Sonic games so they would be replaced fairly quickly but recently they have had pretty long legs specially on Switch.
Good point. It was a waste of money and ressources...
Sonic Frontiers alone with all the updates and free DLC will be enough to enjoy. It will make enough money to produce a more polished and impressive sequel.(and please,Sega, do us a favor: ditch the switch for the main version and ask Dimps to make a specific Nintendo game).

Next gen consoles were dragged down by the Switch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom