• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic coming to Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 today

Among the exciting content being made available today – including an amazing new online Boss Raid mode – we’re expanding the already-robust character roster even further with four new characters, including the blue blur himself, Sonic the Hedgehog!

Now we’d like to give you a brief rundown of each of these newly added characters. First up is a special guest from our flagship series who needs no introduction, Sonic the Hedgehog! The speedy blue hedgehog lives life by his own rules. He hates dishonesty and injustice, and he’s not afraid to fight for what’s right.

Sonic also plays a pivotal role during Skill Battle, such as his ability to change all Puyos on the board to blue!

Ms. Accord is a teacher of the Primp Magic School. Though gentle and kind, she’s known to prepare rather peculiar lesson plans. While she only played a minor role in the original Puyo Puyo Tetris, this update marks the first time Ms. Accord will appear as a playable character in a localized release since Puyo Pop Fever.

For Skill Battle, she can clear the board of Garbage Puyo, set up powerful chains, or throw up a strong defense against an enemy attack.

Next up is Lidelle, a student of Primp Magic School. Known to be mild-mannered and soft-spoken, Lidelle is also very shy and hides her horns by wrapping them with her hair. While sharing no relation, she considers Dark Prince and Draco as her big brother and sister.

Among her proficiencies in Skill Battle, Lidelle has a powerful ability where she can change a batch of Garbage Puyo on the board to a different color.

Finally, The Ocean Prince is, what else, the prince of the sea, a royal who can be pretty shellfish without realizing it. He sometimes takes a human form when he uses a particular spell. Like Ms. Accord and Lidelle, this will mark his first playable appearance since Puyo Pop Fever after making a cameo in Puyo Puyo Tetris. In Skill Battle, The Ocean Prince plays the role of a powerful support teammate, like being able to align any pieces to set up powerful chains or lower an enemy’s defense.

Aside from the new characters, this update also adds a co-operative Boss Raid mode, where up to four players battle together against a common foe using Skill Battle rules; four new BGM (background music) tracks; and 20 new player Avatars you can use to customize your player profile.

I haven't bought this yet because it wasn't part of the holiday sale but it's only $40 so I am considering it more now.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If they add more characters, I might bite. I own the first PPT on several platforms so there's very little justification for me to buy this one.

Eggman in puyo puyo actually makes a lot of sense.
Now I kind of want it.
220px-DRMBM_Screenshot.png

I wish they did more themed Puyo games like Mean Bean Machine. I also own a Kirby-themed one called 'Kirby's Avalanche' on SNES.

sn0man

If you have PPT is there anything for 2 to warrant a purchase?

The only thing I was considering is getting one on PS4 and the other on Switch so I have it on two platforms.

Xanine

Neo Member
If you have PPT is there anything for 2 to warrant a purchase?

The only thing I was considering is getting one on PS4 and the other on Switch so I have it on two platforms.
Depends if you are doing online or not. If not, you are probably fine sticking with the first ppt game since the only new mode that was added was Skill Battle. The update added Boss Raids, but that is also tied to Skill Battle.

It also seems most of the playerbase for 2 is on the switch. I’m having a hard time finding online matches on ps4.

Saber

Gold Member
If they want desperately attention by using him then they fail miserably. This Sonic artwork looks terrible.

Last edited:

sn0man

since the only new mode that was added was Skill Battle. The update added Boss Raids, but that is also tied to Skill Battle.
Are each of those online modes? I honestly mostly do single player of offline multiplayer gaming unless on PC. So maybe get PPT2 on switch as I’ve been keeping an eye out for a physical PPT PS4 copy for cheap.

Xanine

Neo Member
Are each of those online modes? I honestly mostly do single player of offline multiplayer gaming unless on PC. So maybe get PPT2 on switch as I’ve been keeping an eye out for a physical PPT PS4 copy for cheap.
Skill Battle can be played offline, but you would have to build a team for the CPU and its AI difficulty/behavior will be dependent on which character is on the first slot.

Boss Raid is online only, but you can create a room and play it solo. Don’t exactly know why there’s no offline version.

Unfortunately, your characters have an exp leveling system for Skill Battle and you can only do that in the Skill Battle sections in Story Mode or by doing Boss Raids.

sn0man

Skill Battle can be played offline, but you would have to build a team for the CPU and its AI difficulty/behavior will be dependent on which character is on the first slot.

Boss Raid is online only, but you can create a room and play it solo. Don’t exactly know why there’s no offline version.

Unfortunately, your characters have an exp leveling system for Skill Battle and you can only do that in the Skill Battle sections in Story Mode or by doing Boss Raids.
Could profile 1 and profile 2, aka me and my spouse skill battle it out?

Xanine

Neo Member
Could profile 1 and profile 2, aka me and my spouse skill battle it out?
You can do skill battle in local, but you get 0 exp for it. Plus the local multiplayer seems to only use your save file’s teams rather than each user’s individual save file as far as I know.

So user 1 and user 2 doing skill battle would use user 1’s teams in local. Though there are 10 slots for making teams.

Last edited:

Esca

Never played these games but it looks pretty cool. I'll grab it when it hits its first sale digitally

Top Bottom