• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors Ultimate on Switch takes flak for release bugs and crashes

Sonic 1 - good
Sonic 2 - good
Sonic 3/Knuckles - good
Sonic CD - good
Sonic Adventure - shit
Sonic Adventure 2 - meh/good
Sonic Heroes - Shit
Sonic 06 - OH GOD NO! NOOO!!!
Sonic Advance series - meh (terrible camera)
Sonic and the Secret Rings - meh
Sonic and the Black Knight - nah
Sonic Unleashed - 50/50
Sonic 4 - shit
Sonic Colors - good
Sonic Generations - good
Sonic Lost World - good (best 3D Sonic)
Sonic Boom - RUN! IT'S THE RETURN OF SONIC 06!
Sonic Forces - meh

8 good, 5 bad, 5 meh
Unleashed, Sa and Sa2 are good imo. (And i had fun with Sonic Heroes)
And u not mentioned the excellent kart games, advanced series on gba, colors on ds...all great!

Last edited:

Banned
Unleashed, Sa and Sa2 are good imo.

Adventure 1 has awful controls, a camera from hell, glitches everywhere and some character levels are just pure garbage. And then there are the animations in cutscenes, and... omg... like, wtf, who was responsible for that xD at least that is kind of a comedic value right there

and Unleashed is 50/50 imo, the werehog part is just literally retarded god of war lol

Adventure 2 is good overall, but some of the side character levels can be a bit shit imo

Adventure 1 has awful controls, a camera from hell, glitches everywhere and some character levels are just pure garbage. And then there are the animations in cutscenes, and... omg... like, wtf, who was responsible for that xD at least that is kind of a comedic value right there

and Unleashed is 50/50 imo, the werehog part is just literally retarded god of war lol

Adventure 2 is good overall, but some of the side character levels can be a bit shit imo
SA1 makes my jaw drop first time i saw running on Dreamcast, same for Soul Calibur.
Well, I don't think SA1 bad, maybe not aged well, but i love that game!

Was planning on getting this game when it's $15 or less. This glitchfest changes nothing except accelerate the eventual clearance sales.

Krathoon

So, is it best to just play the Wii version of the game? I have to find where I put my copy.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I was playing the remake of Panzer Dragoon and I noticed it had long loading times. The original didn't do that.

Damn, out of curiosity I looked up the devs history and that explains some things.
This was there previous Switch game.

Also they were the ones that did the crash prone BioShock Remaster. Unsurprising 2K switched (no pun intended) developers for the Switch ports of the BioShock games to Virtuos.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Maybe they were just promoting the new Sonic 2022 game with Sonic's "glitchy" aesthetic. He's so fast he's glitching the system.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Every time Sega gives a porting work to some small external team, is always a mess.
This, Shenmue 1 and 2, Panzer Dragoon.

Do these things internally, Sega! That's your freaking job dammit!
Yup, Shenmue 1 and 2, it's on Sega West.
Panzer Dragoon is a licensed game though.
(SOR4, Dragon's Trap Monsterboy are great on the other hand and even Nishizawa/the creator didn't do better with WB Asha)

Got dayumn, I was looking forward to this release. What a mess.

It's weird to me that publishers still decide to put trash like this out. It's not like this is a particularly demanding game - we're talking about a 10 year old game that had (little to) no issues running on the Wii which was a souped up GameCube. Sega, what are you doing?

McCheese

The games developers used an open source game engine called Godot, but didnt bother adhereing to the open source licence and don't actually credit it. Folks only found out by looking at the code during emulation.

Sadly this is also the most high profile Godot game to date, so not a good look at all. BUT it seems the dev team here tried to write their own OpenGL based renderer for it which is what the switch version is using.

So they used the engine illegally, then fucked it up. Real professional.

Last edited:

Miles708

(SOR4, Dragon's Trap Monsterboy are great on the other hand and even Nishizawa/the creator didn't do better with WB Asha)

But it's not only on Sega, even "miraculous" ports like Metal Wolf Chaos for PS4 turned out a complete disaster, because you gave your IP to a small and unreliable european team.

These are important projects and you can't just hand 'em out to the first software house available to do it cheaply. Come on.

cireza

Banned
That's because SEGA are SUPER cheap nowadays. They simply want to get as much money as possible by investing the least money possible.

Sega MegaDrive Collection was a joke
Shenmue I & 2 as well
Panzer Dragoon was super low budget
Sonic Mania and SoR4 turned out well not because these were huge budgets, but because they were passion projects from highly invested people
SMT Nocturne port was also very bad at launch in Japan, still not great in the West
Sonic Colours having problems ? Another port given to a no-name team. What a surprise
etc...

bender

What time is it?
Don’t worry they are actively working on fucking that game up!

want to buy 5 dollar a pop ball skins?
we gotchu boiii 😘😘😘

Hello Kitty is worth a fiver. If the wiki is correct, Yakuza team is working on Monkey Ball so it should be amazeballs.

A self eradicating Sonic game sounds like the best thing this series has ever brought to the table.
No.
people only hate on Sonic for no reason, there's more good or even great Sonic games that there are bad ones.

Adventure's controls aren't that bad, they feel pretty natural, and before anyone says "but it's slippery" Sonic controls have always been slippery and that was always part of the point, if anything SA1's controls are the closest at replicating the Genesis' games feel

there's only glitches if you play the inferior PC port, and im pretty sure most games of that era had terrible cameras or terrible camera controls, and the only bad levels or that i atleast had a problem with are Big's really (then again im the same guy who thinks Labyrinth Zone from Sonic 1 is easy) and the animation in cutscenes can be easily justified by it being the first time Sonic team ever worked on a 3D Game, and trying to be expressive within the console's limitations (and failing), it's not like it matters to the game's quality anyways, if anything i preffer it over how robotic sonic feels nowdays.

Last edited:
Here is the complete list of good Sonic games:
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic 3 & Knuckles (one of the best games of the era, on toes with Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island and Dynamite Headdy when it comes to platformers)
Sonic CD
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Triple Trouble
Tails' Adventure
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2 (albeit it has it's flaws)
Sonic Pocket Adventure
Sonic Advance
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Battle
Sonic Riders
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Sonic Rush
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Rush Adventure
Sonic & All-Stars Racing
Sonic Colors (Wii Original)
Sonic Colors (DS)
Sonic Generations
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Sonic Mania

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So Blind Squirrel Games is who did this clusterfuck of a mess? They were the ones rumored to be doing the Mortal Kombat HD Online Collection too (Arcade ports of MK1, MK2, and Ultimate MK3).

PLEASE stay the fk away from the MK games if you cant even handle a Sonic port.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
super smash bros slow clap GIF

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
im comfident all of the games i mention are good, it's just that many recieve too much unwarranted hate, or heavily are slept on.
if you said OKAY i would actually agree with your list but good is a bit too much imo..

maybe the racers.. but i don't honestly see those games as sonic games

mcjmetroid

I'd just watched this only a few minutes ago.

im always shocked people don't notice this until a video shows them ( I'm not saying you)

Input lag is horrible in gaming and to me very noticable. It's very bad in Read Dead Redemption 2 as well, for instance and well.. I feel like nobody noticed it but it made the game unplayable for me.

Anyway
I played the Switch version of Sonic colors and I can confirm the button lag is 100% there.

Last edited:

Banned
I just watched a video about this version... and people shouldn't only be pissed about the bugs, what about the fact that is barely looks any better (in fact some aspects look worse) than the Wii version, but still runs at 900p30fps on Switch, a console that is like 10 to 20 times more powerful than the Wii, where it ran at 480p30

pure incompetence at work once again. the Switch would most likely be able to run the original code at 240fps, but the remaster doesn't even manage to push 2x as many pixels as the Wii (a 14 GFLOP/s machine), with only a marginal graphical upgrade... this is the state of the gaming industry right here.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
SEGA's efforts at Sonic games may be really lacking, but seeing how this fired over internet, says how powerful Sonic is as a character.

Its a shame how there seems to be no professional team that can make him justice...

Krathoon

I don't know where I put my Lost World. I might have that on the pc.

I think I put some of my Sonic games in containers.

Fake

SEGA's efforts at Sonic games may be really lacking, but seeing how this fired over internet, says how powerful Sonic is as a character.

Its a shame how there seems to be no professional team that can make him justice...

Fans can use the 'Sonic hate' argument whatever they want, but in the end this just show how powerful Sonic franchise really are and how care people want over the franchise.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Sonic 1 - good
Sonic 2 - good
Sonic 3/Knuckles - good
Sonic CD - good
Sonic Adventure - shit
Sonic Adventure 2 - meh/good
Sonic Heroes - Shit
Sonic 06 - OH GOD NO! NOOO!!!
Sonic Advance series - meh (terrible camera)
Sonic and the Secret Rings - meh
Sonic and the Black Knight - nah
Sonic Unleashed - 50/50
Sonic 4 - shit
Sonic Colors - good
Sonic Generations - good
Sonic Lost World - good (best 3D Sonic)
Sonic Boom - RUN! IT'S THE RETURN OF SONIC 06!
Sonic Forces - meh
Sonic Mania - good (best 2D Sonic)

9 good, 5 bad, 5 meh
Having grown up a Mega Drive kid that loved Sonic as a kid, I think your list is probably too generous. I can't stand most 3D Sonic games I've played or seen. I tried to skip the 3D levels in Generations and only do the passable 2D levels, only to find out I was forced to go back and play them all.

Sonic's a dead franchise to me until they do Mania 2.

Having grown up a Mega Drive kid that loved Sonic as a kid, I think your list is probably too generous. I can't stand most 3D Sonic games I've played or seen. I tried to skip the 3D levels in Generations and only do the passable 2D levels, only to find out I was forced to go back and play them all.

i think it's more of a matter of taste, and the fact that i personally liked the 3D games, the 3D levels in the boost games aren't that bad, i think it is a much more basic gameplay style compared to the Genesis or Adventure games, but i think it's still good fun.
then again i grew up with the games on PS2, and my first experiences were via watching the Sonic OVA on Youtube and a lot of flash animations, the mobile ports being my first experience with the classics while most people here grew up during the SNES/Genesis era or prior.

too show how much of a zoomer i was, my first experience with Pokemon Black & White anime (the one with the annoying dragon girl and the green haired brock clone) and my first Yu-Gi-Oh! was Zexal (wich i didn't like it back then, ironic, it's the one with the XYZ's if i recall).

Last edited:

Banned

well Generations is a very mixed bag, some of the 3D levels are pretty good. some are pure shit. also the console versions are just awful... PC at 60fps is a must (sucks that Microsoft is so slow in rolling out FPS boosts... Generations would need one)

BlackTron

Basically all the 3D Sonic games since SA2 are horrible because their controls/physics suck. Those are too vital to Sonic, get them wrong and the game is a failure. This includes games that otherwise have some redeeming value such as Generations, Colors, Unleashed daytime. I tolerated it enough to get through the games but never really came back...I STILL play Sonic 2 and SA1. Even the 2D sections of Gens had bad physics. Meanwhile, having failed to nail the core of the game, they slathered on like 18 scrolling backgrounds. Clueless.

Sonic 1's biggest features were its controls and physics, and they lost sight of that with time. It got iffy in SA2 with a context-sensitive button, and was totally destroyed in Heroes when they went with a third party engine and Sonic felt like a race car, not an animal with feet. It's been varying degrees of the same failure ever since.

At this point, there are far more bad Sonics than good ones, and most of the good ones came out over 20 years ago. Today, they can't even port an old game as a functioning product. Dead franchise. I have lost all respect for Sega.

Top Bottom