• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 3D in 2D Launch Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

After 3 years of work, I present to you Sonic 3D in 2D! Join Sonic and his friends in this fangame and revisit Flicky Island in sidescrolling 2D! A tribute to the last game on the SEGA Mega Drive / Genesis and all its predecessors, the game features 15 stages, challenging bosses and unlockables extras!

Kuranghi

Brilliant work, they should hire this guy to do an official 2D sonic game like the other guy who worked on Sonic Mania.

GenericUser

Brilliant work, they should hire this guy to do an official 2D sonic game like the other guy who worked on Sonic Mania.
Yeah, I wonder why sega has no problem with shelling out mediocre 3d sonics, but refuses to do the same thing with 2d sonics.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
all i see is recolored backgrounds and sprites from the first 4 genesis era games,
not really impressive this.. :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Yeah, I've had enough of 2D Sonic games. Would have actually preferred a remaster of this in its original form with tightened up analogue controls and a graphical upgrade tbh.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah, I wonder why sega has no problem with shelling out mediocre 3d sonics, but refuses to do the same thing with 2d sonics.
Because side scrolling sonic sucks and always did for the most part. Especially the original games. You cannot see ahead and it cannot be played as it's advertised.
I liked 3d sonic way more than originals because of the isometric perspective

V2Tommy

Shit... this looks better than Sonic Mania in terms of level design and look. I'm in!

DISCLAIMER: I'm the person that thinks Sonic 1 and Sonic CD are the only real Sonic games, and everything else is a pale imitation.

Nankatsu

Fantastic work.

Sonic team hire this man, please. He deserves it.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Kazza

Yeah, I've had enough of 2D Sonic games. Would have actually preferred a remaster of this in its original form with tightened up analogue controls and a graphical upgrade tbh.

That already exists. The original creator released a patch for it a couple of years ago improving the controls (among various other things):

Just buy the game on Steam and install the patch

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Because side scrolling sonic sucks and always did for the most part. Especially the original games. You cannot see ahead and it cannot be played as it's advertised.
I liked 3d sonic way more than originals because of the isometric perspective
Nah, you just suck at playing it.

That trailer though! Looks really amazing, I recognize the bits from 3D Blast but done in 2D

I'm always up for 2D Sonic if it's done well

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
But you see only 3rd of the screen away and if you run, you have no time to react
I guess they suck too. I mean sure there a some parts in classic Sonic that revolve around slower platforming (mostly in the original), but generally its all about building momentum. Those games are build around finishing them several times and improve as you go along, which is why Sonic is popular among the speedrunning community. If you learn how it works (Sonic doesn't work like most platformers) you will start blazing through the levels like its nothing. So yes, you have time to react. Maybe not the first time, but again, those games are build for several playthrougs and the health system keeps them fair. Also you can click down to make Sonic a ball and that is both a way to kill enemies efficiently and to build momentum.

Top Bottom