• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Songs with nice stories behind their creations

Mondai

I wanna talk about Oasis, every one knows Noel is a douchebag , but during their first trip to America, they were close to breaking up, but an incident happened, which led to the creation of my favorite Oasis Song:

Written by Noel Gallagher, it was inspired by an incident that occurred during Oasis' first trip to the US. The trip did not go well, Noel and the band hated Americans. After a horrible show in LA, where most of the band was high on meth, Noel quit the band and flew to San Francisco. None of the band knew where he was for days. Their manager finally got hold of him, and Noel vowed to him that he would never return to Oasis. He was frustrated with the business, hated the United States and was sick of Liam. The manager and Noel decided to take a trip to Vegas - he thought it would be a good way for Noel to clear his head. At a bar in Vegas, a woman from Philadelphia approached Noel and told him he looked just like George Harrison and asked if he was a musician. He told her he "was in a band." She and Noel got to talking and she started telling him about her own fascination with the Beatles and how she saw them in concert when she was a teenager. This woman, her newlywed husband, the manager and Noel hung out all night drinking and talking about music. The next day Noel decided to join the band at a studio date they had in Texas. This woman reaffirmed Noel's commitment to the band's success and made him realize that it was worth bringing his music to America. As a thank you to this woman, Noel wrote "Talk Tonight.""

I posted this in another thread, but it fits this one nicely:

Lyrical meaning:

"This was another song I revamped from my lo-fi tape American Sound. I wrote it about someone I dated who made me feel like I wasn’t cut out for my own music career. It’s sort of about that really ugly moment when you try to do something sexually wild to save a relationship, only to make it more painfully apparent that it’s not going to work.

The second verse has a quote from something I read about Tammy Wynette. I really fell for Tammy about a year ago. I love the sort of tongue-and-cheek melodrama of her songs. I read that when she left her first husband to pursue a career in music, he told her ‘dream on, baby.’ Years later, after she was famous, he attended one of her shows and asked for her autograph. She signed it ‘dream on, baby.’"

Top Bottom